4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

[REL | BETA] GTA:SA Monitor - Stand-alone program

SeBsZ

Hello everyone,

It has taken me a number of days to write this program, and I hope you like it. I use the program myself all the time, so I hope you enjoy it!

Let's start with an introduction. The name of the program is "GTA:SA Monitor" which has nothing to do with monitors (displays, screens, etc.). It is a San Andreas Monitoring application for you to keep track of what is going on whilst you are playing the game. GTA:SA Monitor allows you to see where you are on a map in real-time! Besides that, you can see how much money you have, edit the amount of money, see your wanted level, check your Health and Armor and you can set them to 100% with just a click! The transporter is perhaps the most useful feature, which allows you transport around San Andreas in a number of different ways. Read on if you're interested!

1. GTA:SA Monitor is meant to be run on two computers. If you have two computers sitting next to each other, then you HAVE to get this program. You only need to have GTA:SA on one of the computers. If you do not have two computers, you might be a lucky person to have a dual-head display (2 displays connected to one graphics card). If so, then you can also use this program very nicely, however, it will be a bit more annoying. If you only have one computer and only one display, then you will have trouble understanding the full potential of this program, but you can still try it out.

Note: Of course, if you have two computers they must be networked together in the form of a LAN.

2. GTA:SA Monitor actually consists of two programs; the server application which runs on the computer that has GTA:SA installed, and the client application which runs on the other computer (or the same computer if you only have one computer).

3.1. The server application

user posted image

This is the "SAServer.exe" file and should be run on the computer that will be running GTA:SA. The server application does not display a lot of information. All it does is show you the connection status and the game status. The Connection Status will read "Connected" when a successfull connection has been made between the server and the client. The Game Status will simply read "Game is running" when it has detected that you have started the GTA:San Andreas game. The "Update Frequency" is the interval in milliseconds at which the server will read data from GTA:SA and send it to the client. On a LAN, an update frequency of "100" should be alright, but "1000" will work as well (the client will just update more slowly).

3.2. The client application

user posted image

This is the "SAmonitor.exe" which is the client. This program should be run on the client PC. If you have 2 computers, then you should run this program on the other computer. If you have 1 computer, then you should run it on the same computer as the server application.

You should only use the GTA:Monitor if you have a resolution of 1024x768 or greater, or else the program won't fit on your screen.

How to start:

Alright, so just follow these instructions.

1. First, start GTA:San Andreas. You can either start a new game or load a previously saved game. Just make sure that no movies are being played and that you can walk around.

2. Now, ALT+TAB out of GTA:SA and then start the server (SAServer.exe) program. The game status should say "Game is running...".

If you have one computer:

3. Now run the client (SAMonitor.exe) program. Click File and then Connect. Type in "localhost" without the quotation marks. Click OK.

4. Go back to the Server program. The connection status should now say "Connected".

5. Go back to GTA: San Andreas. You can now walk, then ALT+TAB back to the GTA:SA Monitor and view statistics. You can set your health and armor to 100% and you can transport around San Andreas (more info below).

If you have two computers:

3. Go to your second computer. On this computer, run the client (SAMonitor.exe) program. Click File and then Connect. Type in your first computer's IP Address. Click OK.

4. On your first computer, the connection status should now say "Connected".

5. You can now open GTA:SAN Andreas again on your first computer. You will now be able to walk around, and on your second computer you can see yourself moving in real-time! You can also easily transport around San Andreas without having to ALT+TAB out of the game!

-->How to get a computer's IP address

On Windows 2000/XP:

Click start, then run. Type in 'cmd' and press enter. In the new window that opens, type in 'ipconfig'. Assuming you have one ethernet adapter, you should see "IP Address........... : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". That is that computer's IP address.

How to use the GTA:SA Monitor client

Once you are connected and everything works, the fun begins!

On the map you see in GTA:SA Monitor, you will see a red square and a number of yellow squares. The red square is you. This is where you are right now. The yellow squares are all of the Location Bookmarks that exist. You can see these in the list under "Transporter".

There are three ways to go to one of the Location Bookmarks. You can 1. Double click the bookmark in the list. 2. You can click the bookmark in the list and then click "Go". 3. You can click on the yellow squares on the map, and you will be transported there instantly.

I have created a pre-set Location Bookmark file, which will be loaded the first time you start GTA:SA Monitor. It contains a number of common places you might want to go to.

user posted image

When you hover over a yellow square, the name of the Location Bookmark appears. When you click the yellow square, you are transported instantly. In the game, you will now see this:

user posted image

The buttons under the Location Bookmarks are as follows:

1. "Go". Use this to go to the selected location bookmark in the list. Same as double clicking an item in the list.

2. "Add current location". Use this to create a new location bookmark. First, inside GTA:SA, go to a nice place in the game. Then, in GTA:SA Monitor, click this button. You will be asked to give this bookmark a name. After that, it is added to the list and it will also appear on the map.

3. "Delete". Select an item from the bookmark list and click this button. It will be removed from the list.

4. "Save". Once you have a nice bookmark list, click this button and name your bookmarks. Your bookmarks are now saved and you can share them with other people.

5. "Load". If you want to load a bookmark list that you have saved before or someone sent to you (make sure it's in the same directory as the saMonitor.exe), click this button and enter the name, and the locations will be loaded.

6. "Edit". This is for advanced users only. It will open up the Location Bookmark file in notepad for you, so you can modify it manually (for example if you want to change the name of an item).

7. "Refresh". After you have edited the file, you can click this button to reload the bookmark file.

The GTA:SA monitor also shows you your current wanted level. At first I wanted to make it so you could reset your wanted level to 0, but I haven't yet figured out how to do this. It is, however, possible to reset your Health and Armor. To change the amount of money you have, simply click "Enter new value" under "Money", enter a new value and click OK.

KNOWN BUGS:

1. It is not possible to transport to another location when you are INSIDE ANY TYPE OF VEHICLE. I will fix this in future releases.

2. The "current car" text will only show you in which CAR you are. It will not work for planes, etc.

3. If you are inside a building and transport to another location, you won't see anything. This is because of the way GTA:SA is built, and is not my fault.

4. I just realized that the GTA:SA Monitor only has 5 wanted level stars... this means the program crashes when you are such a bad guy and get 6 stars... This has been fixed in the next version, which won't be released yet. (Workaround: don't get into sh*t :-).

5. More to come... :>

To finalize this post:

First of all, I'm not a native English speaker so it is quite possible that i didn't explain something in a clear-enough way. Just ask and I'll clarify.

I'd also like to say that at first I made it so you could drag the red square on the map so you could place yourself anywhere in the world. This was nice, but unfortunately you would keep falling through the ground. For example, you couldn't move from Los Santos International to the top of Mount Chiliad, because of the height difference. (You would be inside the mountain). That is why I decided to take out that feature.

Finally, I'd like to say thanks to gtaforums.com and in particular THIS forum topic, which has helped me with GTA:SA memory values. I'd also like to thank Smithers for his DirectX hook, which made it easier for me to test things because it allows GTA:SA to run in a window instead of fullscreen. And yes, GTA:SA Monitor was written in VB6.

Please, I'm sure some things might be unclear at first, but please ask in this topic. I'll try and answer every question. Then, last but not least:

THE LINK: rah.gif

Click here for a ZIP file containing GTA:SA Monitor by SeBsZ

Enjoy!

New features that will be in version 0.2:

1. There are now 6 wanted level stars, so the game won't crash when you get more than 5. :>

2. There now is a "Freeze health and armor" button. When clicked, your health and armor will be set to 100% continuously so you can now survive high jumps from buildings :-).

3. More will be added...

Edited by SeBsZ

HotDamn!!! wow.gif This is indeed a 'Must Have' colgate.gif

Really fantastic work m8, but i don't see your images here tho... confused.gif

May i host this in my mod db plz? (with crediting u ofcourse)

It's great! But, when Im trying to teleport, it teleports me into the sky.

I think you forgot the ","'s or "."'s in the coordinates.

catloaf_by_anuj.gif Have a loaf of cat.

@LeeDFXP: Alright, I uploaded the images at ImageShack, so they work for now. I'm pretty sure that the images will soon say bandwidth exceeded or something, so then I'll need an alternative.

@Marklund: That's strange, it works fine for me. What place are you teleporting to? Are you it wasn't still loading the environment? If you go from one place to mount chiliad for example, it will appear as if you are in the sky and then suddenly mount chiliad appears because it is loaded. If you really have this problem, give me some more information.

absolutly amazing!!!

this is soo good

i dunno what to say ummmmm

have a some cookies : biggrin.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

im gonna go try it out now biggrin.gif

such a fantastic app and so few replies nervous.gif I'm shocked

anyways... just dropping in to say that i tested this out, and it works great here so far

i compiled SeBsZ's readme into a single exe to, no more worries for bandwith anymore bro wink.gif

great job m8, keep up the good work!!! colgate.gif

Edited by LeeDFXP

I now have created MTL files for this tool for tags, oysters, horseshoes, snapshots. SeBsZ - these are reworked version of places.ini from mtavcsux, if they are useful to you please let me know.

A zoomable map would then be a very cool way to help people find things, in fact if you map zoomed and scrolled in realtime like the SA hud that would be cool.

(hey we are never happy sigh.gif are we? great work!)

edit

-----

by the way your english is just fine (good in fact) so stop worrying :-)

Edited by scyto

Hey!

In fact, I was going to make an oyster finder map, but realized I didn't have all the coordinates, but then you did it. Please mail them to me (me at sebsz dot com).

About the scrolling zoomed map, that was another feature I was going to implement, but then I thought, why copy the SA hud radar? I thought an overview of the entire world was nicer, but sure, I'll put this in the next version. With the ability to be zoomed in or out.

SeBsZ

very cool indeed

some great Tools coming out smile.gif

even as a single program without dual monitor support this

would be a great little helper

a real time map is a must-have

you're english was perfect mate - no worries there

looking forward to more releases

Alright, this program is meant to be run on TWO computers. What happens is this:

One computer runs GTA San Andreas. The other computer will run GTA:SA Monitor. This way, you can play on one computer, and see where you are on the other computer. You can click on a location on the other computer and you will be transported there. That is why the program needs an IP address, because it is a networked program.

Now, if you don't have two computers and want to run everything on the same computer, you need to enter "localhost" in the IP address field. This tells the program that the server is running on the same computer as the client.

Thanks for all your positive comments! Any bugs you find are welcome!

SeBsZ

EDIT: something is weird here. I clicked the button once, but it is posted twice. Sorry about that. Ignore this post.

Nice work, damn though, i started work on my app for something similar to this 3 weeks ago but had to halt progress on it cause my college buisness. Here is the pic of the one i was doing, looks like i'll cancel it now though. Mine does stuff like history trail (displays where you have been), hotspots and teleports. Also it took me only 6-7 hours to program it.tounge2.gif

Looks like you had the time to finish yours before i finished mine.

If you want any information on how i did anything my msn is [email protected]

user posted image

where did you get your map from - it seems to have some lightly 'embossed' logo over 60% of it! Any chance of a map without the shadow logo on it?

You are right about the text overlay, I'm not sure what the text says. Anyway, if someone could provide me with a san andreas map that contains no text overlays or marked locations, that would be great.

Cool! Sorry for beating you.. smile.gif

I added you on MSN, you're not online though.

look like you both have great ideas that could be combined? I notice he also has a map that appears to have no shadow logo on it :-)

Well, SA uses a 512x512 map in fronten2.txd ('models' directory)...

I think you have a great concept going here. Looking forward to any future releases. =)

<!-- Weird,

when i run the monitor on the same computer as where i'm playing it'sworking fine, but when i run it on my laptop, connected through the network, it doesn't work properly. i get wrong readings on the health/armor bars, the red dot doesn't appear.

wtf?? -->

@Cran: Yes it will work fine on a wireless LAN. THats what I'm using...

<!-- Weird,

when i run the monitor on the same computer as where i'm playing it'sworking fine, but when i run it on my laptop, connected through the network, it doesn't work properly. i get wrong readings on the health/armor bars, the red dot doesn't appear.

wtf?? -->

Does the status say "Connected"? Are the XYZ positions changing when you walk in-game? Give me some more information about what you are doing, perhaps a screenshot, so I can figure out what might be wrong.

SeBsZ

is it only run on LAN and a computer,can't run on internet?

It CAN run on internet as well, but the performance will be worse. Why would you want to anyway, you want someone else to be able to control you?

If you want to do this, you will have to tell the other person your IP address. Also, if you have a firewall this might cause problems. Also, remember to change the "update frequency" in the server from 100ms to something like 1000, so it updates every second instead of ten times per second (which is too fast if you are going to use this over the internet).

I hope that answers your question.

is it only run on LAN and a computer,can't run on internet?

It CAN run on internet as well, but the performance will be worse. Why would you want to anyway, you want someone else to be able to control you?

If you want to do this, you will have to tell the other person your IP address. Also, if you have a firewall this might cause problems. Also, remember to change the "update frequency" in the server from 100ms to something like 1000, so it updates every second instead of ten times per second (which is too fast if you are going to use this over the internet).

I hope that answers your question.

that means it can run on internet but can't control the role?

<!-- @Sebsz: it says connected and the coördinates do change. only the health/armor indicators don't change or give strange readings (like.. 300% health, or even 5000). and the red dot doesn't appear when playing. it's there when i'm wasted/busted/not playing though.

the wanted level indicatore does work though -->

that means it can run on internet but can't control the role?

Yes you CAN. You can do everything like in LAN, only the performance might be worse because you are using a lower-speed connection rather than high-speed LAN connection. THat is why you need to set the update frequency to a higher value. Other than that, it will work in the same way.

@Xyzar - Do you use MSN Messenger? If so, please PM me your email address so we can discuss this in detail.

the program doesn't detect san andreas running.

I typed localhost under connect but it says not connected

Can you send me a screenshot of your desktop running the server, the monitor and GTA san andreas running in the taskbar?