PS2 Controller for PC Version Guide

Wolfmight

Hey guys, first post...

Wolfmight, thank you for the excellent solutions to my issue with GTA SA, which is that my Dualshock + Radio Shack adapter (identical to the equipment in your photo) is simply not recognised at all by the game yet it works perfectly in windows and other games.

Before I dive into SAAC 1.2 I just have a couple of questions and would really apreciate guidance:

- If I buy another USB controller like the Logitech, can I be reasonably sure that it will work with GTA SA?

- Which one in particular seems to work best?

- I've never played the GTA series before; is the force feedback in the game entertaining enough to justify getting an FF controller?

- Is it ever a problem to run two USB controllers on one system, i.e. the Dualshock and the new one? I'm assuming not, and that I would not have to disable one in order to run the other but you never know.

All advice gratefully appreciated.

P4 2.8 GHz

Win XP Pro

1 GB RAM

Ati 9800

- Have you tried setting the game's controls to Joypad and testing that out? If that works, then SAAC should also work. You could also try reinstalling the drivers to see if that clears the issue up : http://support.radioshack.com/Download/software/260-0304.EXE

- I have only used my PSX-to-USB adapter+PS2 Dualshock2 Controller, so I would have to go with that.

- You can go through the entire game and even get 100% without Force Feedback. It's only a small addition to speed control based on the amount of pressure your putting on the controller buttons.

- I have never run 2 controllers on my pc before, but I would believe it to not be a problem at all. The Devices should both be recognized as separate inputs.

hope this helps

btw, your computer specs should allow you to play the game with highest detail set. Nice wink.gif

Edited by Wolfmight

Yes, I've tried setting the controller option to joypad yet no controller inputs are recognised, neither in the in-game controller config screen nor the game itself. All it does is change the hint text from keyboard + mouse to joypad! I've tried it in analog on/off and verified that Windows recognises the controller fully (as do other games).

Now for the embarrassing bit: I do not recall downloading drivers at all for the DS so obviously I'll do that; if it's true that I didn't, is it odd that it works perfectly in WINNING ELEVEN 8, another console port?

Finaly, the controller may well be a DS 1 (it's about eighteen months old). Would that make any difference and will the driver link you kindly supplied still work if that were the case?

Thanks again.

Edit: Yes, it runs well on my system but not quite at full specs. 1200 x 1600 was "a resolution too far". It's been an interesting experience, as I've never played the GTA series before and am not a console gamer so the learning curve has been steep, especially as I find the keyboard and mouse controls less than optimal. I almost gave up on the game when I couldn't get the controller to work but thanks to you I suspect that I'm now going to be able to experience it as I suspect it's meant to be played...but with better visuals!!

Edited by Bahger

Officer_Dufus

To Bruce; yea, if anything I would say Force Feedback would be the force in the opposite direction (hence the name) rather than vibration.

Vibration would probably be called.......shaking biggrin.gif

Wolfmight, or anyone else: I installed the latest Radio Shack adapter drivers for my Dualshock and my DS comes up perfectly in Windows/Settings/Game Controllers. In GTA SA though...nada. Can anyone suggest anything? If I get a non-adapted USB controller, am I unlikely to have this problem?

Wolfmight, or anyone else: I installed the latest Radio Shack adapter drivers for my Dualshock and my DS comes up perfectly in Windows/Settings/Game Controllers. In GTA SA though...nada. Can anyone suggest anything? If I get a non-adapted USB controller, am I unlikely to have this problem?

Do those usb ports on your motherboard work? My friend had a problem with his digital camera when it came to downloading his images to his pc. His bios had some USB settings that were disabled. I enabled them and BANG, the camera was detected and installed right away! He was able to download em in no time. biggrin.gif

Moral is, check your bios if your not sure. Hold "del" key and your bios will come up. Look for "optimized" or "defaults" and that will probably enable the usb ports.

If you know the usb ports are working, then maybe your adapter is broken. Tried it on another port? Does the little light come on? Hmm, what about a hardware conflict in Hardware Manager?

I will check all those things, Wolf but before I do: Surely if the USB port was not working, the controller would not be recognized in Windows, let alone be fully functional in another game? FWIW, it's plugged into the same USB 2.0 powered hub as my mouse, scanner and various other trouble-free peripherals.

I'm not hugely bummed by this, just slightly annoyed, as I'd like to experience the game as played with a controller...

GTA3Freak-2001
Just got my ghetto Xbox USB adapter soldered up and working and I am attempting to get the controls worked out with the SAAC program. Just like the PS2 version I am having problems getting certain aspects working mainly the Hydra and Hunter weapons and landing gear. I've currently got it set so that I can easily switch between keyboard and mouse controls when onfoot and also in vehicles. Its not perfect but I am working on trying to perfect it. I am sure combining info for both controllers would be good so I dunno if you wanted to add the info and I could rename the topic to include both Xbox and PS2.

Death-Speak
I will check all those things, Wolf but before I do: Surely if the USB port was not working, the controller would not be recognized in Windows, let alone be fully functional in another game? FWIW, it's plugged into the same USB 2.0 powered hub as my mouse, scanner and various other trouble-free peripherals.

I'm not hugely bummed by this, just slightly annoyed, as I'd like to experience the game as played with a controller...

Skip the HUB and plug it directly into your computer. USB hubs can produce some crazy results sometimes.

DS

I will check all those things, Wolf but before I do: Surely if the USB port was not working, the controller would not be recognized in Windows, let alone be fully functional in another game?  FWIW, it's plugged into the same USB 2.0 powered hub as my mouse, scanner and various other trouble-free peripherals.

Skip the HUB and plug it directly into your computer. USB hubs can produce some crazy results sometimes.

DS

I would have to agree with you there.

To bahger, computers tend to get very annoying like that, but sometimes a quick reinstall or configuration helps. USB Hubs cause my intel webcam to lag for some reason, so I dislike them altogether.

Just got my ghetto Xbox USB adapter soldered up and working and I am attempting to get the controls worked out with the SAAC program. Just like the PS2 version I am having problems getting certain aspects working mainly the Hydra and Hunter weapons and landing gear. I've currently got it set so that I can easily switch between keyboard and mouse controls when onfoot and also in vehicles. Its not perfect but I am working on trying to perfect it. I am sure combining info for both controllers would be good so I dunno if you wanted to add the info and I could rename the topic to include both Xbox and PS2.

I did stumble upon an Xbox guide for Joytokey when I was first looking for a Ps2-to-Pc guide. Since I couldn't find a guide for setting up the ps2 controller, I decided to start one myself.

Now, I could have sworn I saw an Xbox controller configuration guide using Joytokey. I'll update you on the whereabouts. I was searching with google of course, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Edited by Wolfmight

BruceDickinson

well, i'm using this config for the Force Feedback now

user posted image

it's a little bit far from the original Force Feedback but it's usefull for a while, if someone wanna try this ... lol.gif

i have tried setting the force feedback controls and nothing happened. i set the duration, frequency, and magnitude all the way up and in the game i can barely feel it rumble. when i am not playing in the game and just messing with the settings and they are all turned up really high, i can really feel the vibration, just not during the game.

i have tried setting the force feedback controls and nothing happened. i set the duration, frequency, and magnitude all the way up and in the game i can barely feel it rumble. when i am not playing in the game and just messing with the settings and they are all turned up really high, i can really feel the vibration, just not during the game.

The game lacks support for the Dualshock2 "Vibration" function right now on the PC version. Force Feedback is completely different from this. It deals with button sensitivity...i.e...press slight to move slight and press normal/hard to move fast/faster.

user posted image

it's a little bit far from the original Force Feedback but it's usefull for a while, if someone wanna try this ... lol.gif

Hmm, I believe the force feedback doesn't even work for my version. I have messed with many configurations in SAAC and can't seem to get a button sensitivity at all. Do you use that config with the Dualshock 2 controller? I'll try it if so.

Thx for the great config program...

I notice that the spray print has nothing comes out after i started SAAC before starting GTA:SA. Does anyone have the same issue?

On my "Force" page, I am not able to choose settings for them... like from BruceDickinson's screen shot....where he could choose Sine and Constant Force...etc

Pls help!

ORG Fugitive

I have that Logi but the rumplepad- you have any FF? I cant seem to get that-is it supported thru game on PC?

and the radio sta? thats a hat button for looking around in flight sims- wont chnge sta or answer Y or N to peds...sux

Guys always saying theres a thing at play.com lets you use your PS2 controller- guess thats what that USB thingy above is huh

Good thing I discovered that "window" mode for San Andreas, that saves alot of Alt+Tab stress-n-lag on my system.

Hi Wolfmight, how do you run "window" mode for GTA? I did try to search but I couldn't find anything about it.

Is anyone else having problems with this getting the SECOND analog (right) stick to control the camera?

We discussed this @ shacknews also

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=10354600

I've got this adapter

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...oducts_id=3176&

and the second analog stick WORKS in Windows driver test thingo - but not in SA

I also know SAAC is installed and working properly - because L1 and R1 are doing the rear camera, R2 is doing the handbrake and so on - (I haven't set this up in the game yet) - but without SAAC those things don't work. sad.gif

Do I need a new driver for the PS2 pad perhaps - any suggestions?

EDIT: yes the analog light is on

no, I didn't install a driver CD

the driver is "MP-8866" I think

yes the second analog is even recognised by saac

yes the analog light stays on - even in GTA SA

yes saac appears to be working fine - it's re-mapping buttons / left analog - just not working with the right

no force feedback isn't working sad.gif

Edited by abrasion

You should be able to just get a PS2 controller, cut the connection off, splice on a USB plug, get the correct custom driver off the net and you are done.

You should be able to just get a PS2 controller, cut the connection off, splice on a USB plug, get the correct custom driver off the net and you are done.

Are you saying I should do that???

I already have a perfectly good adapter - other people use adapters - and it saves you butchering the cable too.

Works fantasticly with my controller colgate.gif

I'm using it with this adaptor:

user posted image

Attached to a 9V batterie... it rumbles like an overpowered vibrator biggrin.gif

nice work m8

but surely someone else has the same box I do?

I'd be curious to know if anyone else with the 2 port super-joy from lik-sang (it's also sold on ebay a lot) gets rumble or analog support from the second stick?

GTA3Freak-2001

Nope wires are setout differently so it would need a proper adapter I am afraid.

user posted image

Hi guys, I could not get the force feedback to work... I went into that page, it won't let me choose any settings from those drop down list...

When I use SAAC, the spray thing doesn't spray out anything...like I don't see the paint shoot out... but I could paint the wall tho... I did try playing without SAAC on... paint shoots out again.

BruceDickinson

For the Dual Shock Force Feedback (vibration or shaking ... whatever you prefer ...biggrin.gif) i had installing a Driver for the Vibration Works .... Setup_DualPCX.exe.

i've used both softs (SAAC and Joy to Key) to fit me a good configuration of y dual shock ....

i used this base of controls ...

From: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Walkthrough and Strategy Guide

Version 1.2 (3/23/05)

Written by Charles Bayley (ohioguy67[at]yahoo[dot]com)

On foot

Left analog stick: Move left or right

Right analog stick: Adjust view

Directional pad right: Positive response to conversation

Directional pad left: Negative response to conversation

Directional pad up: Command gang members to follow (when gang members have

been recruited)

Directional pad down: Command gang members to hold position (when gang

members have been recruited)

Triangle: Enter a vehicle, pick up an object or cancel cell phone call

Circle: Shoot (if weapon selected), punch (if no weapon selected) or

take picture (if camera selected)

X: Run (when held), sprint (when tapped) or zoom out (if camera

selected)

Square: Jump, climb or block, zoom in (if camera selected)

L1: Center camera, view statistics or shoot/attack (if targeting)

L2: Select previous weapon or select previous target (if weapon with

auto-aim selected and target lock-on on), zoom in (if camera selected)

L3: Crouch

R1: Target lock-on (if weapon with auto-aim selected), look through camera

(if camera selected)

R1 (hold)+Left analog stick (right/left): Roll in direction of left

analog stick movement

R1+Triangle: Running attack (if Boxing, Martial Arts or Kickboxing

Instructor Challenge completed)

R1+Triangle (repeatedly): Combo attack (if Boxing, Martial Arts or

Kickboxing Instructor Challenge completed)

R1 on downed opponent: Ground attack (if Boxing, Martial Arts or Kickboxing

Instructor Challenge completed)

R2: Select next weapon or select next target (if weapon with auto-aim

selected and target lock-on on), zoom out (if camera selected)

R3: Look behind

SELECT: Change camera view

START: Display map (pause)

4.1.2 Swimming

Left analog stick: Swim left or right

Circle: Dive underwater

X: Swim (when held) or swim fast (when tapped)

Square: Jump

4.1.3 On a bicycle

Left analog stick: Steer left or right or shift weight forward or back

Triangle: Get off of bicycle

X: Pedal (when held) or pedal faster (when tapped)

Square:  Slow down (if moving) or reverse (if stopped)

L1: Bunnyhop (when pressed) or high bunnyhop (when held)

4.1.4 In a vehicle

Left analog stick:  Steer left or right

Right analog stick: Adjust view (if in a car or motorcycle, aim hose (if

in a Fire Truck), raise/lower blades (if in a

Forklift) or raise/lower dumper (if in a Dumper)

Directional pad up/down: Change radio stations

Triangle: Exit vehicle

Circle: Shoot weapon (if drive-by weapon selected and R2 or L2 pressed),

use nitrous (if equipped) or spray hose (if in a fire truck)

X: Accelerate

Square:  Slow down (if moving) or reverse (if stopped)

L1: Shoot weapon (if drive-by weapon selected and R2 or L2 pressed),

use nitrous (if equipped) or spray hose (if in a fire truck)

L2: Look to left side

L3: Horn (if in a car or motorcycle) or turn on/off siren (if in an

emergency vehicle)

R1: Emergency (hand) brake (if in a car or motorcycle)

R2: Look to right side

R3: Start/stop side mission (if in applicable vehicle)

R2+L2: Look behind

4.1.5 In a helicopter

Left analog stick (left or right):  Bank left or right

Left analog stick (up): Move forward

Left analog stick (down): Move backward

Circle: Pick up object with magnet (if in RC Goblin and no objected being

carried), drop object (if in RC Goblin and object being carried) or

fire missiles (if in a Hunter)

X: Accelerate rotors to gain altitude

Square: Slow down rotors to decrease altitude

L1: Shoot machine gun (if in a Hunter or Seasparrow)

L2: Rotate left (counterclockwise)

L3: Hover

R2: Rotate right (clockwise)

4.1.6 In a plane

Left analog stick (left or right):  Bank left or right

Left analog stick (up): Dive

Left analog stick (down): Climb

Right analog stick: Rotate turret or camera

Right analog stick (up): Point engines toward rear (if in a Hydra)

Right analog stick (down): Point engines down (if in a Hydra)

Circle: Self destruct (if in an RC Baron) or drop countermeasure flare (if in

a Hydra)

X: Increase thrust

Square: Reverse thrust

L1: Fire machine gun (if in an RC Baron) or fire missiles (if in a Hydra)

L2: Turn left using the rudder

R1: Target lock-on (if in a Hydra)

R2: Turn right using the rudder

R3: Raise/lower landing gear

4.1.7 In a jetpack

Left analog stick (left or right): Turn left or right

Left analog stick (up): Forward

Left analog stick (down): Backward

Right analog stick: Rotate camera

Triangle: Take off jetpack

Circle: Shoot weapon (if drive-by weapon selected)

X: Increase thrust to go up

Square: Decrease thrust to go down

L2: Strafe left

R2: Strafe right

R2+L2: Hover

And worked good here ... with control of the Map and His Functions ....

i,ve changed a little thins in the Config of SAAC and Complemented with joy to key ...

Alike i think my Dual Shock is mapped diferent of the others ... i'll pass my config ... if your adaptar support remap of it ... if does not ... just have to ajust some to fit well ...

Triangle = Button1

Circle = Button 2

X = Button 3

Square = Button 4

L1 = Button 5

R1 = Button 6

L2 = Button 7

R2 = Button 8

Select = Button 9

Start = Button 10

L3 = Button 11

R3 Button 12

well i've used this config to SAAC Based on this map of buttons ...

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=10FUXTW...CO287NF5E80GCR0

and this config on joy to key to complement What SAAC Can't up to now ...

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2QQRVM4...K31FMDGM76O5E30

I tested it some times and seens to be alike the quote config ... i don't remenber if it's exactily the used in play 2 but the idea to use both i think its a good one ... colgate.gif

to fit my needs of Command dialogs in the game i've changed all command dialogs of the game to fit this config ... Based in a mod for the Xbox Version with the real Map Names and vehicles ...

this i don't remenber the right keys in play 2 version so i've used this, if it's wrong just tell me what to change ...

user posted image

so dialogs and structions of commands in game like this (i've changed all dialogs from the beggining of the game, of every school ... to fit to this controls ...

user posted image

if someone want to try ...

http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=225

maybe fit your needs too friends colgate.gif

Edited by BruceDickinson