3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

[REL] CFG Studio

BenMillard

Lol, I was referring to carcols in the beta you sent me tounge.gif Yeah, summin like I dunno, here's an idea:

For defining the actual carcols, aka the col tab, in the beta, it looks like this:

user posted image

Now, What I think would be better, is to have the number that the colour is assigned to on the far left (current not even present on the beta), then the 3 RGB values, but then a little box indicating the colour, like so:

user posted image

The colour can then be edited by either typing in the RGB values, or by clicking in the box, which could then bring up a colour wheel, like I dunno..like this, I just pikeyed this from Xara X and photoshopped it to death:

user posted image

Select yer colour click ok, all done. Repeat for other colours smile.gif. Means it's easier to see if there's already a colour close to the one you want already.

Then, for the "Car" tab, I think there should for one be a slightly thicker line separating each set of carcols, i.e, between Secondary 1 and Primary 2, Secondary 2 and Primary 3 etc etc.

Then, when you click in the box you want, you get this:

user posted image

Choose your colour, and it'll input the number you want in the box. Sorted.

It just all helps the visualisation, whilst still allowing you to enter numerical values if you so wish. No what would be awesome is to preview your colours on the car in real time, but yeah, that's more like a GGMM style thing.

user posted image
I've kept the idea of adding columns at arm's length because it means introducing a quirk for the processing of that file. However, your mockup makes it so obviously more usable that this will definitely make it into a later beta. smile.gif

I'll use the Edit Colors dialogue used by MS Paint and throughout the Windows operating system for setting colours. The combinations in the Car section will probably use a single column list which will be displayed a bit like the checklists. That way I can reuse the list positioning code used by the handling.cfg formats. I think I can colour the list items individually and display the correct number on them.

Well, you are right that it's really a matter of opinion as to what classifies for a racey, or over heavy, etc, handling.

So I guess maybe just specify what the numbers mean like you did above for the description. That higher values mean stiffer and lower values mean softer suspension. Good to know that R* mainly edits the dampeners to change the effect of the handling, it'll help me a bit when editing. Also, the Suspension helper should help (isn't that odd sigh.gif) with getting some sensible suspension effects.

So what about adding in your definitions to the program? Not sure if I mentioned that to you, maybe it was in that PM. I don't know how the values translate per game, but maybe if they differ quite abit, maybe make it so it knows which version of GTA handling it has loaded and show that versions definitions for the values. I would definitely find that highly useful. That way I don't have to pop up your site every time I work on handling wink.gif

I also think it'd be helpful if you mentioned for things like biases and axises if higher numbers over 5 mean forward or rear biased.

Besides, that, I like GTAurons idea about the color showing up. That would help alot.

I'll use the Edit Colors dialogue used by MS Paint and throughout the Windows operating system for setting colours. The combinations in the Car section will probably use a single column list which will be displayed a bit like the checklists. That way I can reuse the list positioning code used by the handling.cfg formats. I think I can colour the list items individually and display the correct number on them.

Good ideas, using MS Paints Colour Editor will save you a fair bit of work, plus it's so damn easy to use tounge.gif. I also agree that a single column list would probably work better too, and yeah having the ability to see the colours there would be of great help too, lol it'll almost be like in Gran Turismo when selecting car colour in the showrooms tounge.gif.

New Beta: Build 0.0.276

New version of the CFG Studio beta for testers. The changes are mostly lots of bug fixes, adding support for the IDEs and IPLs used for mapping and updating column headers. Oh, if you edit a value that column will now get it's size updated.

Any bugs, mistakes or column header suggestions for CFG Studio? Post them here. Especially column headers for formats I havn't added support for yet and filling in any "Unknown X" ones which are actually known. smile.gif

Big thanks to SpaceEinstein, ODIE, Steve-M, Opius, Delfi, illspirit and loads of other folks for the various experiments and documentation which are mostly pinned in the Editing Discuss > Maps section.

Picolini

Sorry, I meant to answer about the definitions earlier. The main reason I don't want to add definitions is because they might be wrong. Dexx was talking to me about GTASA flags and I realised that quite a lot of the values I never tested as thoroughly as I should have. That means they'd be constantly changing and I'd have to be constantly making new builds of CFG Studio, which people constantly have to keep downloading.

I think it's better to just have them in one location. You can save the page to your computer; it should be readable even if you just save the HTML file rather than the "complete" page.

I think the suspension helper will use words as well as the current numbers. I'll probably simplify it to being just one set of values, rather than there being both an "old" and "new" set.

Edited by Cerbera

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the suspension helper doesn't really need the old values part in there. And I guess some general terms to explain the purpose of the helper would... well help.

And about the definitions, if you think it'll change that much then I guess it's cool to just check the site/saved files. I hope you'll update some of them soon then, but most of them (at least most that I use) work just as you describe them, for the most part at least as far as I can remember.

New Beta: Build 0.0.298

Now with file saving!

File saving is currently very basic and is just for testing. Files are always saved to the folder CFG Studio is in because it's likely that many formats aren't properly supported yet.

View the changelog for 2006-10-29 for more details on what's new. Many thanks to Picolini for finding some crashes I hadn't noticed. Bug reports are welcome in this topic from anyone.

Download CFG Studio 2 beta.

Edited by Cerbera

i downloaded it, but I need to ask sumething...

i was trying sparrow not to yaw as much as it does now. First I thought "omg there is another view for flying vehicles and there is even yaw value" so I tried to change it but when i was in game and wanted to take off with sparrow (no, not before but when the rotor started spining with full speed and I pressed "W" key) everything started blinking and changing colours. Than it wrote "pres left mouse button to activate bomb and go out of the car" or sumethin. WTF???

Did I change wrong value? I am complete noob with changing txt documents, so plz tell me what should I change

peace

There is a good chance that CFG Studio 2 beta will not save files correctly. It is not a complete editor, it is just for testing. That's what a beta is.

If you want to edit files safely, use the old CFG Studio. It does say that on the download page for CFG Studio 2 beta. smile.gif

Now, we can't solve your problem unless you are more specific. Firstly, put the handling lines for the sparrow in your next message, using [code] tags. Here are mine:

SPARROW	2500.0	6041.7	0.2	0	0.0	-0.1	75	0.65	0.9	0.5	1	200.0	16.0	5.0	4	P	5.0	0.45	0	30.0	2.0	0.1	0	0.50	-0.20	0.5	0.0	0.30	0.50	25000	2004000	400000	0	1	0$	SPARROW	0.40	0.95	-0.001	0.01	0.05	0.002	2.0	0.0020	2.0	0.7	0.004	0.2	1.0	0.2	0.998	0.980	0.980	0.990	1	1	10

If you are talking about the Sea Sparrow, then give us the lines for that instead. Here are mine:

SEASPAR	3000.0	7250.0	0.1	0	0.0	-0.1	5	0.65	0.9	0.5	1	200.0	16.0	5.0	4	P	5.0	0.45	0	30.0	2.0	0.1	0	0.50	-0.20	0.5	0.0	0.30	0.60	28000	2004000	400000	0	1	0$	SEASPAR	0.50	0.95	-0.001	0.01	0.05	0.0020	2.0	0.0020	2.0	0.7	0.003	0.2	1.0	0.2	0.998	0.980	0.980	0.990	1	1	10

I havn't heard of this error before.

Edited by Cerbera

I understand what you wrote... I like beta testing, thats why I downloaded it... even if I am complete noob smile.gif

Here is the line

SPARROW	2500.0	3000	0.2	0.0	0.0	-0.1	75	0.65	0.9	0.5	1	200.0	16.0	5.0	4	P	5.0	0.45	0	0	2.0	0.1	0.0	0.50	-0.20	0.5	0.0	0.30	0.50	25000	2004100	400000	0	1	25

not modified or sumething... I just want sparrow to yaw less...

thanx

So, are you still getting the error when pressing the "W" key or not. You havn't posted the Flying data for it, so I can't see if you've modified that.

If you've swapped back to using the original data, then I'm sure there are columns for changing the yaw behaviour in the Flying section of the handling.cfg file.

Edited by Cerbera

SPARROW 0.40 0.95 -0.001 0.01 0.05 0.0020 2.0 0.0020 2.0 0.7 0.004 0.2 1.0 0.2 0.998 0.980 0.980 0.990 1.0 1.0 10.0

Sorry... My bad... This is original, but I can explain what i did: I've changed 3rd and 4th value to 0. I was probbably not sopossed to do this, but i did it coz I am a f*ckin noob here, so plz tell me what SHOULD I do to make sparrow yaw less....

thanx biggrin.gif

Setting those to zero is bound to screw up the game. You're effectively telling the game to prevent it rotating at all! tounge.gif

You want to reduce the effect of yaw without turning it off completely. Therefore, simply reduce the YawForce value. Easiest way is to divide it by ten, which in effect means you just place another zero in front of the "1" at the end. So, instead of -0.001 you'll have -0.0001.

You are asking for less yaw effect, so I think you want it to be at least as stable as the default. Therefore, don't change the YawStab value.

You'll end up with this for the Flying data:

$	SPARROW	0.40	0.95	-0.0001	0.01	0.05	0.0020	2.0	0.0020	2.0	0.7	0.004	0.2	1.0	0.2	0.998	0.980	0.980	0.990	1.0	1.0	10.0

If it still yaws too much, insert another zero in front of the "1" in the YawForce value. That will divide the yaw effect by ten again.

I wouldnt have a problem if it wouldnt yaw at all tounge.gif however... I tried to change walue as you said, buuuut...

user posted image

maby you should try it and tell me if I am the only one who gets this bug confused.gif

And hope u understand now y I dont want sparrow to yaw biggrin.gif

peace

Ah, you never said you were using a mod!

Did this mod ever work? You would be better off talking to the author of the mod. They should have made sure it worked before they released it.

Edited by Cerbera

lol biggrin.gif it worked perfectly and I am the author tounge.gif I can send you a model... its just a dff and txd, so there shouldnt be no problem with any other data except textures or model, but even those are OK. I tried to reinstall game and use modified data on original... same happened... now u try to do it and you will se if it is a bug...

peace

Edited by blazevski

In that case, go back to the setup which worked "perfectly" and then try altering the handling again. My advice would be to only alter one value at a time and only alter it by a small amount until you learn what they do and how strong an effect they have.

You could try using the old CFG Studio as that is known to edit handling.cfg files reliably.

uhm... thats the only walue I changed... for other handling editing I use old cfg studio. I donloaded this one coz i wanted to test it. than I saw there is a yaw value so i tested this first and as you said all bug reports are wellcome... I posted. and now you dont wanna hear bout it... Ok than your choise bored.gif

peace

Bug reports are welcome, but you haven't given me a bug report. A bug report would have involved you telling me exactly what you did and exactly what happened. Instead, you've been extremely vague and wasted a lot of my time by not explaining what you did.

WTF is with tell me I don't want to know about any bugs in my own programs?! I've done everything I can to try and figure out where the problem is coming from! The problem is that you didn't describe how you were using the program, despite me asking you to be more specific right at the very start. confused.gif

So let me get this straight:

1. You have a completely original handling.cfg file.
  2. Everything in the game works fine using this setup.
  3. You used CFG Studio 2 beta to edit the YawForce setting from -0.001 to -0.0001.
  4. You made no changes to any other values.
  5. You save the file.
  6. The game now goes haywire when you get into the Sparrow, but everything else works exactly as it used to
Is that correct? This is the sort of detail I need to track down where the problem is coming from. smile.gif

Bug reports are welcome, but you haven't given me a bug report. A bug report would have involved you telling me exactly what you did and exactly what happened. Instead, you've been extremely vague and wasted a lot of my time by not explaining what you did.

WTF is with tell me I don't want to know about any bugs in my own programs?! I've done everything I can to try and figure out where the problem is coming from! The problem is that you didn't describe how you were using the program, despite me asking you to be more specific right at the very start. confused.gif

So let me get this straight:

1. You have a completely original handling.cfg file.
  2. Everything in the game works fine using this setup.
  3. You used CFG Studio 2 beta to edit the YawForce setting from -0.001 to -0.0001.
  4. You made no changes to any other values.
  5. You save the file.
  6. The game now goes haywire when you get into the Sparrow, but everything else works exactly as it used to
Is that correct? This is the sort of detail I need to track down where the problem is coming from. smile.gif

sorry man... I didnt want to piss you off... and yeah... what you wrote is exactly what happened... guess I was clear enaugh so you could understand me anyway... tounge.gif I have actually decided to wait till you upload completed version of this program, but if there is anything else ya need to know about this bug... Im willing to hlp smile.gif

peace

Whew, that's all hunkey dorey then! biggrin.gif

I spent a few hours yesterday evening trying to reproduce the bug. Whenever I save a handling file in CFG Studio 2 beta and then enter certain vehicles in-game, it craps out on me in similar (but not identical) ways. I tried to isolate exactly where the bug is coming from but can't pinpoint it exactly.

There's a few things I haven't tried yet, but the problem does seems to be caused by something about the files CFG Studio 2 beta is generating.

I woulda laugh, but I dont understand what means "dorey" biggrin.gif

and I am glad you findaly found the bug... wil be even more happy when you fix it, even if takes hours, so good luck... keep it up that way and dont give up tounge.gif

oh I allmost forgot... when you will get this bug on sparrow and the game will crash dont modify anthing. Go to game again and this time enter the shamal or hows that small buisness personal plane called... the bug showed up this time too, even if I didnt even touch its handling lin bored.gif I found out that recently...

if ya ask me, you must be right... if the data would be problem than the bug would only appear with sparrow, so I think it must be program, just as you said.

peace

After a lot of thinking and testing from myself a LocO_G, we've finally figured out exactly what the problem was. I was making CFG Studio 2 use the hash character (#) for comments. This worked in GTAVC when I tested it in 2005 but doesn't in GTASA. I've updated the beta so it now uses a semicolon (;) for each comment instead.

New CFG Studio 2 Beta: Build 0.0.306

You can download it from the usual place. The Changelog has been updated as well; there's quite a lot of other developments and improvements to it.

very nice... I am glad I helped you to find another bug... I allready downloaded it, but got to study today... gonna test it tommorrow, but looks like you did a very god job... gonna report if i find some more bugs wink.gif

peace

EDIT:

I tested this program today...the bug appeared again... I couldnt believe it.. I reinstalled the game once again, tried this whole story again and heres bug... again... I also tried to go in that personal jet... same bug once again... confused.gif

bye

Edited by blazevski

In CFG Studio 2 beta, Go to Help > About and tell me what it says. The fixed version is CFG Studio 0.0.306.

Your browser might have cached the RAR file from when you downloaded it before, meaning it would not have downloaded the new version. Try going to the CFG Studio 2 download page, then press Ctrl+F5 in your browser to refresh the page. Then click the download link and change its filename before you save it. Make sure you don't save over an existing file, too.

If you are using Internet Explorer, this stupid caching error is quite likely. But it can happen in other browsers too.

If you already have 0.0.306, then you might be editing the wrong file or not saving it to the right location. Does your handling.cfg file being used by GTASA contain the # character for comments? If it does, open the file in CFG Studio 2 and then use File > Save As to re-save the file. This will fix the comments.

Beta testing is not for the faint hearted. Thanks for your patience. smile.gif

(EDIT) I'm going to receive some fairly big and complicated jobs during November, so development of CFG 2 might slow (or even stop) until December.

Edited by Cerbera

hell you was right... I had an old version... I tried to download it in many different folders with many different names, but its still old... I also did ctrl+f5 thing, but still... I suggest you check the link again... maby its a link to older version biggrin.gif , if its not would someone plz be so kind and send me the program on [email protected] ?

Thank you...

peace

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow the file didn't get updated when I uploaded the new version. I probably uploaded the wrong file, sorry. blush.gif It's taken ten days for me to fix this due to having lots of work recently.

I've updated the correct file this time. Since the new file has a different size than the old file, you shouldn't need Ctrl+F5 or worry about changing the filename.

Edited by Cerbera