3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA LCS - Rehashed & Trash?

bloodyskies

May be a bit controvertial this, but hey! From the recent screanshots and piece on the game in Offical Playstation Magazine UK on LCS, it looks to me like Rockstar are rushing this game to get it out, in my view under some pressure from Sony to have a "killer" game to drive sales.

My concern though is that in an attempt to get the game out, Rockstar are reusing an existing city and characters, which means ultimately making big savings on production relating to creating the city.. the only changes from GTA3 are the inclusion of bikes (helicopters, multiplayer etc etc are not officially confirmed) and tweaking to vehicle models, peds, and of course 40 odd new (2.5 min) missions...

Do any of you guys agree with my take that they should spend longer on development and get out a totally new city (I dunno, say GTA: London 1969?), with air transport, multiplayer, etc, or do you believe they'll add sufficient new features to make this foray into the recent (and lets face it, 3 years is pretty recent) past?

Personally, I think GTA:LCS is shaping up to be a pretty lacklustre offering from the great Rockstar. Don't get me wrong, I do still hope I'll be eating my words by the end of the year, but I'm not gonna bet on it yet..

No,I completely disagree.I'd been happy with a GTA III port,let alone a game that looks better than even Vice City and has a completly new story,plus alot of Vice and San Andreas upgrades.The fact that this is running on a machine that is barely 6 inches and less powerful than the PS2 is amazing.I don't care if it is reusing the enviroments.R* said that they have made some small changes for bikes and the era,and I do think we will see a few different locales.I'm just glad we are getting a good,non-top down GTA on the PSP.

I don't think Rockstar were intending to make this as a killer app for the PSP and if they were, they would be using a different city and the like. Plus, you have to consider the fact that they are more focused on developing for the PS3 and the fact that the developer for LCS is Leeds and not R* North. (Although, they do have a part in it, whether it be in game design or story design.) This is a side project of the GTA series so of course, its not going to live up to its big brothers in the PS2 series. Also, consider the fact that the PSP isn't even in its prime yet.

I agree with Pyrohazard, if rockstar made a new city we'd all expect them to release the game on PS2 and then eventually Xbox and PC. GTS:LCS is PSP exclusive so a spin-off from an exisitng game is the most obvious way to go.

I'm pretty happy that we are going back to LC. Liberty is my favorite GTA city. I know if they added multiplayer, the game would sell like hotcakes.

Before Vice City came out, I always said I'd pay $50 for an expansion pack for GTA3. After Vice City, I said my ultimate GTA game would be Tommy Vercetti in Liberty with bikes. All I wanted from SA was the physics, targeting and bike skill...

It looks like I'm pretty much going to get everything I want! rahkstar2.gif

braindead Sandwich
May be a bit controvertial this, but hey! From the recent screanshots and piece on the game in Offical Playstation Magazine UK on LCS, it looks to me like Rockstar are rushing this game to get it out, in my view under some pressure from Sony to have a "killer" game to drive sales.

My concern though is that in an attempt to get the game out, Rockstar are reusing an existing city and characters, which means ultimately making big savings on production relating to creating the city.. the only changes from GTA3 are the inclusion of bikes (helicopters, multiplayer etc etc are not officially confirmed) and tweaking to vehicle models, peds, and of course 40 odd new (2.5 min) missions...

Do any of you guys agree with my take that they should spend longer on development and get out a totally new city (I dunno, say GTA: London 1969?), with air transport, multiplayer, etc, or do you believe they'll add sufficient new features to make this foray into the recent (and lets face it, 3 years is pretty recent) past?

Personally, I think GTA:LCS is shaping up to be a pretty lacklustre offering from the great Rockstar. Don't get me wrong, I do still hope I'll be eating my words by the end of the year, but I'm not gonna bet on it yet..

It's been so long since i've played GTA 3 i don't care if it's in an old city. As long as it's got new characters new features and brand new missions i don't care, Just the fact that it's gta and i can play it when ever and where ever i like is good enough for me smile.gif

Everyone loved Liberty City! cool.gif

I think this game is going to be a big hit, even if it does go back to Liberty City. There is a new storyline, new missions (and way more) and new characters. It's a brand new block of writing on the slate.

Brown Streak RR

I don't mind it being in Liberty City. Truth is, I could use an updated version. I hated playing my LC on PS2 'cause I thought it would be odd going from all we have in San Andreas to... well... less. That's why I was excited when I heard LC was coming back. It will be awesome with new characters and missions.

Do you think they'll include the whole city? Like all three islands?

I will say, I'm a bit disappointed air vehicles aren't looking to good for being in the game. Meh, I'll live. But there better be that L-Train or Subway! devil.gif

don't get me wrong, GTA3 is great, and I love Liberty City, but where VC and San An both had new ideas by the bucket, LCS looks to me to be a bit, well, same old same old. I'll be perfectly happy with it if they price it appropriately, but if it comes out with nothing particularly new (like multiplayer, or new locations beyond SSV) at full price, I'd say Rockstar are taking us for a ride.. there's no way I'm going to be happy paying full price for an expansion pack that doesn't have all the features of the three games I've already bought (5 if you consider I've bought GTA3 and VC for PC as well as PS2, albeit 2nd user on ebay)

I don't think Rockstar were intending to make this as a killer app for the PSP and if they were, they would be using a different city and the like. Plus, you have to consider the fact that they are more focused on developing for the PS3 and the fact that the developer for LCS is Leeds and not R* North.

In the interview with Dan Houser in Official PS2 UK, he made it pretty clear that he thinks all the PSP games so far have been somewhat lacking, so I'm pretty sure R* are looking to position LCS as being the best thing on PSP. GTA is the best game on PS2, and I'm certain that'll be true with PSP, but I'd just be happy if they seemed to be aiming that little bit higher... as for the stuff regarding PS3, that just affirms my point that they're not giving LCS the attention it deserves.

Hopefully they'll release LCS on the PC, Xbox and PS2 as an expansion pack to San An, or at a bargain price to anyone who bought GTA3, VC and San An.

Still, I must say I was hoping for London 1969 or Carcer City sometime in the future sly.gif

Edited by bloodyskies

To me the game being Liberty is great because I never played GTA3 only VC and SA and most people say Liberty is a great location and that it gave a great feel to GTA series so Im really excited about this game

viniciusdcs: I like your sig, but in relation to your post, why are you posting here, if you havent even played GTA3. YEESH! biggrin.gif

kanney, this topic is in the Liberty City Stories section so if everyone that post in this topic gotta have played GTA3 I think they should move this topic to GTA3 section, sorry If Im wrong !