Can't dance, How To Dance?

JIM E

First of all, I am playing the PC version. I am on OG's Life's a Beach mission, and I've got to the beach party. I talked to the DJ who keeps saying "lets dance". However, I can't dance. I've looked through a few guides and they say that after initiating dialogue with the DJ, you should go into a dance mode where notes appear on the screen that you have to dance to. That doesn't happen with me. The DJ just says let's dance, then nothing happens. I can talk to her again, and she just does the same thing all over again. Is this a glitch, or am I doing something wrong?

Have you pressed the "Y" button a few times? That bit of the game didnt seem to flow right for me. Then the music eventualy starts and dance away smile.gif

southsideryder
Have you pressed the "Y" button a few times? That bit of the game didnt seem to flow right for me. Then the music eventualy starts and dance away smile.gif

tounge.gif

1: Buy some glasses

2: Read the text below:

First of all, I am playing the PC version

There. Better.

Thread starter: Do you have a slow PC? Could be that it takes some time to load it. Or maybe the game freezes.

Have you pressed the "Y" button a few times?  That bit of the game didnt seem to flow right for me. Then the music eventualy starts and dance away smile.gif

tounge.gif

There. Better.

Thread starter: Do you have a slow PC? Could be that it takes some time to load it. Or maybe the game freezes.

So the PC does not have a Y button? Wait, how the hell am I displaying Y without having a Y button? This is insane, I tell you... Oh no... Another Y!!!!

Wickedkitten

Well, on the xbox version you have to push right twice to initiate it, so whatever the positive response button is on the pc, hit it twice.

Have you pressed the "Y" button a few times?  That bit of the game didnt seem to flow right for me. Then the music eventualy starts and dance away smile.gif

tounge.gif

There. Better.

1: Remove shoe.

2: Place in mouth.

Good god, you must feel like an idiot, huh?

Anyhow, I just pressed y a bunch of times. (that's y on the keyboard, in case this guys gonna slap me with another "genius" comment) It ended up working just fine. Conversations feel a little laggy in the PC version.

Thanks. I just had to press 'Y' (on the KEYBOARD) twice like you said. It works fine now. That is really confusing.

Well, i have some hints for you. Just don't look at your score until you're ALL the way done, and when the button is in the middle of the circle, press it.

kdr9l4.png

CarpetDweller

There are loads of topics on this. The search has been down for a while, but I see it's working again now. Just type "lifes a beach" (with the quote marks) in to the search in gameplay section and you'll see them. Searching for 'dance' would probably get you more.

Here's one: topic

Just hit the right buttons at the right time. I suggest using your ears and rhythm for knowing when to hit rather than your eyes.

If you haven't reached the dancing part, then you have to answer the girl's 2 questions (both Yes I think). The screen instructions only tell you this for the first question.

EDIT: Actually Oblivionz gave the best hint. Don't look at anything other than which symbol is coming next. Don't worry about the score, what people say about you or try to see CJ dancing. If you do that you'll only see him dance like a fool.

Edited by carpetdweller
user posted image

As said above, just concentrate on the circle in the middle of the screen and press the button just as the symbol reaches the middle of the circle. It'll take some practice, so be sure to visit the club in Los Santos to help yourself get used to it.

Moved to Gameplay

31805323.png

chipmunk467

hey, i was stuckm on this mission for a week. just keep on trying, and dont look at ur score, caz that doesnt help at all. Just relax and keep trying. (thats how i finally did it) rahkstar2.gif

Try also practising the moves first in the Alhambra club and memorize the buttons well.

Razor Sharp

I really don´t understand why so amny people have problems with these missions.. you just have to push in the direction the arrow goes when it´s in the circle...

you don´t even have to be perfect, hitting half of it right gets you through..

Passed this mission along with the lowrider-contest on first try

• 1 month later...

Game was fine up until the Beach party (OG mission). then wehn that mission started, the arrows kind of jumped along. they seemed to skip every time the dirction signals got near the little circle. Sorry that it's not clear, hard to describe. Has anyone else had this problem?

BTW I haven't used any cheats nor am I using any trainers.

Nah I ain't got the same problem.

Are you doing it with the "numpad" arrowkeys or under the ins/home/pgu/pgd/end/delete part?

You have to use the last one, I belive.

Oh yeah, quit yapping when you don't get a reply so fast, it's higly innoying.

blessed4789

dancing haves to be done with the moving keys (w a s d)

hydraulics, with your numpad

Yeah, another one here, but I kinda solved by turning off Norton 2005 AP and all the taskbar crap. I think its a glitch in certain configs.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

perdidopunk

here's a gripe about dancing...

i use an xbox controller spliced onto a usb controller ( i like the triggers for increased control over throttle/brake )

i'm using XBCD and SAAC 1.2 to make it work.

i have the controls set up <i>very</i> nicely for everything except dancing, i even have the lowrider working right.

in order to do any dancing i have to quit the game, exit SAAC, restart the game, play through the mission in keyboard mode, then turn SAAC back on. this is HIGHLY annoying... i'm wondering why it is that the dance controls aren't customizable even with SAAC ? i realize that it's possible that they were just left out, but i'd expect that even the game itself would allow customization of all possible controls in the config screen, considering that that is, after all, the <i>standard</i> in computer gaming...

can anyone say patch or updated SAAC ?? jeez...

mad.gif

sorry for going on, just got really pissed off with it.

It doens't matter about how I do it, the little arrows to tell me which direction to move in (so to speak) jolt along and some miss the circle some don't. Sorry it's really hard to explain. Will try turning off a few tasks though.

Turn off as much tasks as possible and put the graphics to the lowest level. Then it should work better. And update your sound driver.

i use a PS controler through USB on my pc.

but i tend to switch to mouse/keyboard when i need to do certain things in game (man onboard machine guns etc).

ps controller didnt work till i used saac.. but i dont like that util, as it doesnt allow me to switch to mouse/keyboard when i need to.

its a fabulous util, but for me, somethings are better with mouse/kb.

my keyboard is a very old (and discontinued) Gateway Anykey 124.

i love this keyboard! so i tried using the numpad keys.. no joy (too many keys ended up hitting wrong keys).

i tried using my direction keys on the keyboard.. again.. too many keys (it includes diagnal keys, as well as a center key that acts as the Spacebar)

those clunky features aside, the speed wasnt good enough, i'd hit a key, and it'd be too late, or early.. or miss entirely.

i plugged in an old IBM keyboard (but newer than my gateway) i have here, and voila.. timing was fine, key strokes where recorded by the game, and i sailed right through the parts easy.

i cant wait to finish this game, so i can put my old Anykey back on here.. this keyboards too dinky for me:)

i know this probably isnt the same prob the OP posted about.. but i feel its informative enough to help anyone looking at this thread.

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
sanandreasisfun

i have that problem too it doen't sound as bad as yours but it makes it almost imposible to beat this level. The weird thing is thatit works fine when i dance in the club my scor is in the 2000 range,but when i try this mission i can't get more than 200 its like it just doesn't work or something?Its hard to explain i have beat this mission on ps2 and xbox but this is way harder than it is on both of these systems.I don't think there really is a way of solving it appart from toning down the graphics,that seemed to have helped a bit.I guess ill just have to keep trying and eventually im sure ill get it but since im an addict that shouldn't take two long. smile.gif

westsidebud

i have seen this problem a little bit

i usualy get between 5500 - 6500 score

i's say,

Stop as many programs running

before you play, Antivirus programs,

I leave my firewall on (Agnitum Outpost with logging turned off)

which is very low on resources..

(or turn off and unplug cable / disable ethernet adapter)

instant messengers, any programs that intefere with the ram..

like memory defraggers etc..

Defrag your hard-drive ! very important for smooth play.

Optimize graphics settings for your hardware..

Here is mine for example..

FRAME LIMITER = ON !

VISUAL EFFECTS QUALITY = LOW

Draw Distance = FULL

AA = 2X (Temporal AA 2X in Ati Driver Settings)

Resolution = 1024x768x32 refresh rate locked @ 100 (same as my desktop)

Athlon XP 2800+ (OC'd to 2.10ghz "about 100mhz") 200 fsb

Thermaltake Volcano 12 Cpu Cooler (idle @ 35 degrees)

256mb x2 PC3200 DDR (Dual channel mode) 200mhz @ 2.5/3/3/7

Ati Radeon 9600 Pro (stock speed) (DX9c & Omega Catalyst 5.7 driver)

120 gig drive, 8mb cache, ATA 100, 7200 rpm.

Asus A7N8X v2.0 mobo - nforce 2 chipset (newest official nvidia drivers for all !)

So the game runs pretty smooth for me

and i have experimented with the settings alot

almost as much as i've played. lol

And the two settings "that i think" matter the most are

The frame limiter and the visual effects quality !

(I monitor the FPS with AtiTrayTools on screen display)

So i said all this because maybe some of ya have

played with the settings and when ive had mine too high

i noticed the marker for the dancing kind of sputters..

(Laggs or speeds up briefly)

well, hope me long rant is usefull ? good luck guys..

• 2 years later...

Can anyone help me becoming a better dancer? I want to succeed on the dance date. At least once, so I know I have made it. (I know I don't have to.)

The last time I danced, I got around 500 points. sad.gif On a good day I might get 1000. Not nearly enough to impress my girl. I think I need 3000 or 4000 points?

I think I push the right button at the right time, still it says "bad". I try to follow the music.

Is perhaps the music making it harder? I have tried with the sound off. I'm not sure if this is better. I think I need a coach...