Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,006 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Yorc_

GTA NOT SUPPORT MX!

If you own a GeForce 4 MX series card, does it run GTASA?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If you own a GeForce 4 MX series card, does it run GTASA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but not that well
    • WTF who owns that old junk

Question

Yorc_

Some days ago I send a Menssage to Rockstar Technical Support aking that GTA:SA will run on MX.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Technical Support.

The game (GTA: San Andreas) does not have a feature to disable pixel shader

effects. The game will not work with a Geforce 4 MX card.

Please be sure to delete all previous correspondence when replying. This

will help us to process your response in a more timely and efficient manner.

Kind Regards,

Rockstar Technical Support

I'm really f*cked with my Gforce4 MX cryani.gifcryani.gifcryani.gif

The Warlock

But they said in the minimum requirements Geforce 3 cards or higher, right ?

I have an FX 5200, so i guess it will work fine.

That's right, they did, and so nobody should be surprised, well, unless you got fooled by nVidia's numbering scheme. (4MX is better than 2 but worse than 3).

It doesn't support the Riva TNT2 either.

Or the Intel 386.

You need to upgrade periodically to play new computer games.

Bernard Jazz
i got a friend who plays VC on a PC waaaay below the minimum requirements but he plays it alright.. only 15fps but it still plays tounge.gif

Zackzr

If you look at their recommended requirements it says: "GeForce4" or better. It does not appear to be excluding the MX cards. take a look...

Recommended System Requirements:

Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP processor (or better)

384(+) MB of RAM

16x DVD-ROM drive

4.7 GB of free Hard Disk space for a full install

128(+) MB Video Card with DirectX 9 compatible drivers ("GeForce4" or better)

DirectX 9 compatible Surround Sound Card

Game pad with twin axis analog controls (USB or Joystick Port)

Keyboard & Mouse

-----------

Maybe someone could explain...

Edited by Zackzr

Zackzr

EDIT: sever lag

Edited by Zackzr

HinGTA
I'm just going to take a random guess, but is a Pixel Shader a advanced alternate version of bumpiness textures.

( I can relate with the person who said they ran halo with no shaders..yeah , it does look like crap..but its still fun!)

I don't think San Andreas relies THAT much on shaders to actually ruin the overall look in the game. I guess cars won't have the added "shaded" appearance.

I think you are referring to bump mapping, not pixel shading. Pixel shading is used a lot in games like Splinter Cell and Doom 3. It is when light from a source is affected by the objects around it and creates exact shadows of the object blocking the light. An example would be if you were riding a bike past a streetlamp at night, as you went through the light, a shadow in the shape of the bike would appear below the character and move/change in shape as you moved along to represent the angle the light is hitting the bike. Imagine looking directly at a sunset; a long shadow of your body would be cast over the land behind you. This light and shadow is not created by the game engine itself (as is my understanding) but mathematically created by the video card. It is hard to explain but that is how I best understand it.

Kernel-32-dll

If you look at their recommended requirements it says: "GeForce4" or better. It does not appear to be excluding the MX cards.

Pixel shaders can't work with a gf4mx and imo R* already said that there is no option to deactivate effects that use pixel shaders... and of course they're sorry for this... =/

But there are also a lot of games that let you play the game without having an option for pixel shading, although these effects look like crap then its possible. Because the engine doesn't check if you have a graphic card that suports pixel shading.

Btw, gta3 and vc worked pretty well with my gf4mx, but i don't know if they require a pixel shader.

PS I was wondering about the amount of people stil using a gf4mx, you bought your computer for 2k€ in an Aldi store (2GHz p4 from medion)?

Rokas[LTU]
If this is true, this is the BEST news i've heard in ages smile.gif

lol.gifmonocle.gif

Zackzr
you bought your computer for 2k€ in an Aldi store (2GHz p4 from medion)?

I don't know if that last comment was directed at me but, I did not buy my computer from a Aldi store.

Rokas[LTU]

GTA3 and VC didn't support PS..

Kernel-32-dll

I don't know if that last comment was directed at me but, I did not buy my computer from a Aldi store.

Not only at you, i was just interested why so many people have a gf4mx, when it came out it was said to be crap, now its even beyond this.

maddoctorjoe

MX cards are horrible. you hear "Geforce 4 MX" so you think they must be better than a Geforce3ti, but hell no.

If you ask me... Someone who is rich enough to buy an original computer game, (which is quite expensive) Is probably rich enough to get rid of his lame MX card and buy a perfectly fine FX 5200 card... its not a huge investment and its worth it...

Good luck MX people... I feel your pain sad.gif

Dave

To buy an MX card if you are considering playing games is a stupid move. They were crap and worthless when they came out, now they're pathetic.

scabo19

I bought my pc like 3 yrs ago with no intention of experiencing extreme gaming.As a matter of fact I didnt even know what kind of gfx card I have but all i knew it was nvidia.I never bought a pc game that didnt work taking in to consideration that I dont buy many pc games(gta3,gta:vc,max payne,prince of persia 2,halo,max payne 2,nfsu,nfsu2,nba live 2003,04,05,).The point is I have ran many games on my pc that i would suppose utilize hardware more than gta.Half Life 2 looks alright on my pc and I know how pc gamers say half life 2 takes up resources so therefore i will stumble into the ignorant assumption that san an is gonna work on my gf4 mx 64 mb

tombcatz
' date='Jun 7 2005, 12:03'] GTA3 and VC didn't support PS..

first of all-you name it SM,not PS

SM=Shader model

GTA3 and GTA:VC

did use SM1.0 as far as i know [sM1 is supported by all GF cards,including the MX series]

GTA:SA uses SM2.0,which is NOT supported by Geforce MX series....

and anyway-it doesnt matter what did GTA3 and VC support,because GTA:SA is brand new,and the graphical standard went much higher since the release of GTA:VC

Carlsberg

Hey guys, does Geforce fx 5500 128 mb work fine with San Andreas ?

my pc:

Pentium 4 2,8 GHZ HT

512 mb ram

Geforce fx 5500 128mb

Will i be able to play San Andreas smoothly with at least medium graphics ?

darknyt6
I bought my pc like 3 yrs ago with no intention of experiencing extreme gaming.As a matter of fact I didnt even know what kind of gfx card I have but all i knew it was nvidia.I never bought a pc game that didnt work taking in to consideration that I dont buy many pc games(gta3,gta:vc,max payne,prince of persia 2,halo,max payne 2,nfsu,nfsu2,nba live 2003,04,05,).The point is I have ran many games on my pc that i would suppose utilize hardware more than gta.Half Life 2 looks alright on my pc and I know how pc gamers say half life 2 takes up resources so therefore i will stumble into the ignorant assumption that san an is gonna work on my gf4 mx 64 mb

Well, we were all there once. It just takes an instance like this to get you a little more interested in researching your purchasing decisions.

Half Life 2 and Doom 3 both were coded to run on "legacy hardware" so as to reach a broader market of gamer who may have enjoyed the first iteration, but not necessarily kept up with the gaming scene. Alot of reviewers were suprised at how well those games ran on older hardware.

But don't expect a console port or most other games to be coded as well as something from Triple A publishers like Valve and id.

Neu_Lyf
Hey guys, does Geforce fx 5500 128 mb work fine with San Andreas ?

my pc:

Pentium 4 2,8 GHZ HT

512 mb ram

Geforce fx 5500 128mb

Will i be able to play San Andreas smoothly with at least medium graphics ?

dont worry dude your will run the game at a decent framerate although bottlenecked by the 5200 card

Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif the game will run fine with your specs Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Neu_Lyf

is it my internet connection or the servers really yawn.gif

Edited by Neu_Lyf

darknyt6

Well, we were all there once. It just takes an instance like this to get you a little more interested in researching your purchasing decisions.

Half Life 2 and Doom 3 both were coded to run on "legacy hardware" so as to reach a broader market of gamer who may have enjoyed the first iteration, but not necessarily kept up with the gaming scene. Alot of reviewers were suprised at how well those games ran on older hardware.

But don't expect a console port or most other games to be coded as well as something from Triple A publishers like Valve and id. Especially as we move into more advanced feature sets.

fixxer

i plan to test it with my GeForce 2 MX 400 (yes it's from 2001!) and i'll post back here with any errors/successes (hopefully the latter).

mashw

Thanks, when do you think you can let people know? I want to kniow for my friend asap so if he needs a new graphics card I can let him know.

Zackzr
Thanks, when do you think you can let people know? I want to kniow for my friend asap so if he needs a new graphics card I can let him know.

Well I am almost off to buy the game. I should be back soon and tell you what happens.

RMT
Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Special Reserve to pick up a new card this week at some point to replace my MX 440. I'm not all that bothered by this, but I feel for those that can't replace their MX cards and may have to go without SA.

Bernard Jazz

unfortunatly my PC came with a geforce 2 MX..

i want one of those snazzy 512mb graphics cards, don't want to pay "snazzy 512mb graphics card" price though..

Ah well, i'll just get a geforce 3 biggrin.gif

mashw

Have either of you tried the game? The reason I ask is I'm trying to fnid out if someone I know needs a new graphisc card and need to get one in time for release.

Bernard Jazz
waiting on European release here.. but i believe that there's someone who's going to try it out.

Rockhead

6800 gt should do me good biggrin.gif

Bumper3D
Ah well, i'll just get a geforce 3 biggrin.gif

Don't.

My suggestion would be Radeon 9600Pro / XT.

It's abled to run HL2 with decent framerate and it sure will be abled to run SA.

And it's pretty cheap too. 100$ should be enough to get one.

Major_Ace

Thats why! I was at my girlfriends house last night right after i bought gta:sa for pc and installed it on her pc just to re assure myself it will run well on mine, her pc is a

p4 1.7 ghz

256 mb ram

Geforce 4 MX 64 mb

So the games starting, loads in like 4 seconds im like wow its going to be sweet! the first cinamatic starts and boom, its choppy as hell as if it were a pentium 2 pc! so im like uh oh..

Then i went home and installed it on my pc

P4 2.4 ghz

512 mb ram

Geforce 4 ti4200 128 mb

It has been running good so far =)

So yeah i thought maybe it was because she had low video memory or ram, i guess her card just doesnt like the game.

RMT

I think that would be the combination of 256mb RAM (very low, I'd get that upgrade to at least 516mb) and a below par prosessor speed. Though the GF4 would contribute to the problem.

But it's positive step that the game actualy runs, and doesn't crash or close down.