[TUT] Grunge background without bushes

Clown.

my second tutorial this week (dont worry, i'll shut up after this one!).

on with the show....

this week ladys and gentlemen and all other species, we are going to learn how to make a grunge background wihout using any brushes.

step 1)

create a new document (i will be using 500x150) with a white background. Make sure your colours are set to black and white and then apply a simple cloud filter (filter>render>clouds).

user posted image

step 2)

now you need to find edges (filter>stylize>find edges) and then press ctrl+i to invert the colours

user posted image

step 3)

change the contrast to +90 (image>adjustments>brightness/contrast). now add a splatter filter (fliter>brush strokes>splatter)

user posted image

step 4) now all you need to do is add a bit of colour (image>adjustments>hue/saturation)

user posted image

there you go. for all of you people that hate brush work here is an easy way to get around it

thats my second tutorial done, so any comments would be welcome.

Thanks, nice tutorial, although this is for photoshop, it'll help me out on the GIMP to create a grung background - Luke.

user posted image

With <3, Tsuroki

Damn, try to soften the contrast in the last one. The difference between the black and the red looks way to pixeled.

This might be a good start, but I don't think the tutorial's finished, yet.

OK tutorial, if people want to be lazy and filter their sigs, but it just doesn't look subtle enough to be a background. I personally find working with brushes gets better results, but thats just me, its a decent tut.

@DiVaio, i know it looks a bit pixeled but i just wanted to show how to make the background, not a whole sig. at the moment ive left it at that point so people can then do what they like with there background.

@pcj, i personally like brushes more to, but when i first started on photoshop i found them quite hard to use and wanted an easy alternative, and i discovered this.

thanks for your comments.