3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Radio Liberty City

tehhunter

Nah. They need this to be as good as GTA3, so everything from at least GTA3 needs to be there. They could take out some unused textures like Ghost town and the observatory, but then again even taking those things out wouldn't bring down the size below 1.8GB. Besides, I see it as them using 800MB for sounds. (Radio, voiceing, effects, peds, etc...) Then, using the left over 1GB, they use 600MB for the visual stuff, a.k.a. vehicles, texures, the city, text, movies, pictures, FMV's, etc... Finally, the other 400MB is the story data, which includes the MAIN.SCM source code file, and the carcols thing, etc... Anything left (Probably about 50MB) would be user cache, replays, save files, settings... bbq.gif

Where the HELL do you get these numbers? 400MB for the story and mission scripts? Are you joking? It takes up less than 5MB. And the PSP cannot store data on the UMD, so no user cash, no replays, and most ceratinly no saved games. This stuff will be saved on the memory stick, and take up less than 2MB. The rest of your numbers are just as flawed, but I don't want to turn this into an endless runt.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Nah. They need this to be as good as GTA3, so everything from at least GTA3 needs to be there. They could take out some unused textures like Ghost town and the observatory, but then again even taking those things out wouldn't bring down the size below 1.8GB. Besides, I see it as them using 800MB for sounds. (Radio, voiceing, effects, peds, etc...) Then, using the left over 1GB, they use 600MB for the visual stuff, a.k.a. vehicles, texures, the city, text, movies, pictures, FMV's, etc... Finally, the other 400MB is the story data, which includes the MAIN.SCM source code file, and the carcols thing, etc... Anything left (Probably about 50MB) would be user cache, replays, save files, settings... bbq.gif

Where the HELL do you get these numbers? 400MB for the story and mission scripts? Are you joking? It takes up less than 5MB. And the PSP cannot store data on the UMD, so no user cash, no replays, and most ceratinly no saved games. This stuff will be saved on the memory stick, and take up less than 2MB. The rest of your numbers are just as flawed, but I don't want to turn this into an endless runt.

No, it's not $29 bucks for a 256MB stick. Bestbuy.com lists a SanDisk 256MB Memory Stick PRO Duo for $49.99. A Sony 128MB Momory Stick Duo is $40.00. You better cha-chikity-check yoself before throwing prices at random strangers. Also, who says R* wouldn't use a different format on the PSP, or create a big-ass main.scm that allows for some huge shizzit, or maybe a big carcols so it's more like real life. And finally, when I said user cache, I meant that the PSP could use that 50 MB as extra RAM. (Yes, you can, think about Windows Virtual Memory) You know, keep a replay, skin, save game, etc... open so more RAm can be devoted to the game itself.

Oops, I pwned you again. die.gif

Ok. Lets go over it again. Slowly. UMD, as it is used in PSP, is READ ONLY MEMORY. You can't use that space as virtual RAM. It is impossible. And if the script takes up that much more memory than executables, the programmers will need to be taken out and SHOT.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

I never said radio stations will be on the card I said I want them to be.

Edited by Mark Pagliaro

Why should the game be watered down for radio? Where do you get that idea? Was GTA3 watered down? Was Vice City? This isn't any different. PSP is just as capable of playing the music off the disc while running the game as PS2 was. And there is more than enough space on the UMD for the game and the music.

For the love of f***ing mother whores. Vice City can fit in 1.8GB.No compression is needed. Also, who cares about how much space is left over. Maybe they'll use 850MB for audio after all. Don't be so uptight. yawn.gif

I guess its cause I thought the games took up all the storage on the DVD or atleast more then 2 gb (PS2 wise) I rather have music run off the cards anyways so we can have mp3 support (or just mp3 support of the card would be nice) Still I rather more cars and stuff like that used on the 1.8 before music is even considered.

For the love of f***ing mother whores. Vice City can fit in 1.8GB.No compression is needed. Also, who cares about how much space is left over. Maybe they'll use 850MB for audio after all. Don't be so uptight. yawn.gif

Of course it can. No one's arguing against that. I was saying that there is so much space on UMD that Vice City and GTA3 could fit on one together. That appears to have been a bit of a stretch. But that isn't the point. The point is that there is more than enough space for GTA3 with radio stations and everything else. There is no need to use the memory card for audio, other than for custom MP3s.

From what i heard about the Grand Theft Auto PSP radio stations Rockstar Games is making new voiceworks for GTA PSP radio stations so they can keep you acompanyed. thats why they delayed GTA PSP 2 months, so now GTA PSP is coming out july 15, 2005. If you are thinking that i am lieing to you, you can find this out in the may issue of GameInformer issue 145.

Of course it can. No one's arguing against that. I was saying that there is so much space on UMD that Vice City and GTA3 could fit on one together. That appears to have been a bit of a stretch. But that isn't the point. The point is that there is more than enough space for GTA3 with radio stations and everything else. There is no need to use the memory card for audio, other than for custom MP3s.

Exactly right. You could learn from him, Mark. GTA PSP RADIO WILL NOT BE ON A MEMORY STICK! Glad we got that cleared up.

EDIT: No, GTA PSP is not shipping in July, that's just what EB Games says. Game Informer is not official. die.gif

Exactly right. You could learn from him, Mark. GTA PSP RADIO WILL NOT BE ON A MEMORY STICK! Glad we got that cleared up.

EDIT: No, GTA PSP is not shipping in July, that's just what EB Games says. Game Informer is not official. die.gif

LMFAO your a little late with the reply I learned this off of K^2 On a side note GTA San Andreas Audio folder was just over 2gb off of the dvd I already stated I want mp3 support only.

Edited by Mark Pagliaro

user posted image

I know, I was pointing this out to people like you who still don't get the point. I knew the radio was gonna be on the disc from the start. Also, is this game going to be as large as SA? No. Will it use the same codec? No. Oh noez!

On a side note GTA San Andreas Audio folder was just over 2gb off of the dvd

I believe, the music and radio programs were only a little over 1GB of that. Don't quote me on that, though. It was a long time since I looked.

Well When I had GTA San Andreas for the PS2 (Friend recently broke the DVD disk) It said 2 gb when I checked the properties of the audio folder. However since this game will be based off of Liberty City it shouldn't need nearly as much audio.

My apologies for my stupid scenerio about the game's radio stations running off of the memory stick. Can we drop it? BTW I think I was the only one on here Chris82 that mentioned memory stick radio.

Yes, the audio folder was 2GB, but only a little half of it was radio, if I recall correctly. I don't remember what the rest was. I'd look it up, but I gave my copy of SA to a friend, and I'm not going to see that disk for a long time. I'm planning to buy a PC version of SA anyways, so she needs it more than I do.

• 2 weeks later...
San Andreas 2005

Here's my theroy on all this: We should all just shut up and wait. I know it's hard, but we have to. For this radio sh*t, they will figure it out. The people at R* are geniuses. They have yet to dissapoint us. GTA PSP will own. The audio on the Duo Stick is a good idea, yet to be utilized by the PSP. I have a 512 MB one. GTA PSP can work. Come E3 within the next week, Rockstar will probably show it off and then we'll know. I hate waiting but sitting here and arguing over sh*t that hasn't been confirmed and is yet to be found out is f*cking stupid. We don't know yet! Once we find out, then we can argue, but for now, people are just coming up with ideas on how it could work. Don't flame them. Remember, the PSP is capible of more than we give it credit for.

ChevyTrucksFan
edit: K^2 have you played on a PSP? They can probably do more than you think.

No, but I am familiar with its architecture. I'm even better familiar with PS2 architecture, and even have written some code in PS2 Assembley, so I know how that system works, and I know that PSP can't do anything that PS2 can't.

My prediction is that it will work very similar to GTA3. That is that some data, such as the actual geometry of the map, will be loaded separatly for each island when you enter it, and the rest will be streamed. The later includes vehicles, pedastrians, sounds, and, perhaps, some higher resolution models and textures for buildings.

In any case, the UMD will be used almost constantly.

ok, i didnt even bother to read half this article and i just want to point you out for this post and one of your other posts. you claim your so familiar with it and you know all that stuff yada yada, yet you asked how to fit 100mb on 32 mb ram. if you know about it, you would know 32 mb ram is random access memory, not how much memory you can hold. it is how fast the psp can do applications, and i dont even know if that is the true RAM but i cant be assed to check, so before you go talking all technical, at least understand what you are talking about lmao.

edit: K^2 have you played on a PSP? They can probably do more than you think.

No, but I am familiar with its architecture. I'm even better familiar with PS2 architecture, and even have written some code in PS2 Assembley, so I know how that system works, and I know that PSP can't do anything that PS2 can't.

My prediction is that it will work very similar to GTA3. That is that some data, such as the actual geometry of the map, will be loaded separatly for each island when you enter it, and the rest will be streamed. The later includes vehicles, pedastrians, sounds, and, perhaps, some higher resolution models and textures for buildings.

In any case, the UMD will be used almost constantly.

ok, i didnt even bother to read half this article and i just want to point you out for this post and one of your other posts. you claim your so familiar with it and you know all that stuff yada yada, yet you asked how to fit 100mb on 32 mb ram. if you know about it, you would know 32 mb ram is random access memory, not how much memory you can hold. it is how fast the psp can do applications, and i dont even know if that is the true RAM but i cant be assed to check, so before you go talking all technical, at least understand what you are talking about lmao.

Wow, maybe you shouldn't be a technical authority unless you know what you are talking about either.

RAM stands for Random Access Memory: Something that the main program opens for a very short amount of time. More RAM allows more things to be opened at once.

So basically, you are wrong, he is right. Gj.

Random Access Memory or RAM is a type of computer storage whose contents can be accessed in any order. This is in contrast to sequential memory devices such as magnetic tapes, discs and drums, in which the mechanical movement of the storage medium forces the computer to access data in a fixed order. It is usually implied that RAM can be both written to and read from, in contrast to Read-Only Memory or ROM. RAM is usually used for primary storage in computers to hold actively-used and actively-changing information, although some devices use certain types of RAM to provide long term secondary storage.

ChevyTrucksFan

I know what ram is bored.gif

what i am saying is that he is asking how to put 100 mb on ram. its not about that its not all going to be accesed at once.

now i dont wanna make any enemies here, so if you have something that actually proves me wrong, (and no, another definition of what ram is isnt proving me wrong) then post it, and i will except defeat. but if you cant, then just dont post.

edit- im not even gonna bother with this anymore because i dont feel like getting into an argument over something that could have been as small as a misunderstanding of what somebody said. so im gonna stop right here, means i rarely come here and i dont feel like having to come here and check up on it, so im not gonna.

Edited by ChevyTrucksFan

There are 3 types of storage accessible to the PSP at any time (I'm sure you are familiar with these, but it doesn't hurt to mention them):

1) UMD. Maximum capacity is 1.8GB, but it is read only, so it cannot be used for any form of temporary storage. It is fairly fast, but not fast enough to use it as the primary storage.

2) Memory stick. Can be anywhere between 8MB to 4GB, but it is Flash memory, which makes it very slow in comparison. It is fast enough to play MP3s and even movies, but again, not fast enough to be used as primary storage.

3) RAM. This is a very fast memory to which the CPU has a direct acces to. Unfortunately, it is also the most limited with just 32MB. The fact that the PSP's CPU can address each word (32 bits of data) in the memory individually, and the fast access times (a few ns), make it ideal to be used as primary storage.

Loading 32MB from UMD or memory stick would take anywhere between 5s and 30s. That isn't going to do you any good when you have to draw 30-50 frames per second. On the other hand, RAM can be accesed that fast. Unfortunately, there is not enough RAM to store the entire game, so portions of the game must be loaded from UMD to RAM either during the loading screens or contineously throughout the game through the processes called Streaming. All of the GTAs for PS2 have rellied on streaming, though, in slightly different ways. In GTA3 and VC most of the map geometry was loaded into RAM when you crossed from one island to another, and things such as vehicle models and testures were streamed. In SA everything was streamed. Now, it still remains to be seen if GTA PSP will work like GTA3 did and pre-load maps for different islands, or if it will work like SA and stream all data, but there is absolutly no question that GTA PSP will relly on streaming at least to some extend.

homie from another homie

it will be on the umd.whats the point of having it on the

ms???

Edited by homie from another homie

ChevyTrucksFan

allright, thanks for clearing that up. sorry to k^2 for trying to say that, i just misunderstood the post. i just hope the radio is a little better than gta advances suicidal.gif

The entire game of GTA Advance was on 16MB, so there is no wonder that the audio sucked. The audio quality on PSP will be far better. The only thing that worries me are these tiny speakers. I'm not sure how good of a sound they can produce. Of course, there are allways the head phones.