3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Radio Liberty City

tehhunter

I was just wondering, since GTA PSP is returning to Liberty City and all about this:

The audio/radio of the GTA series has always proven to be quite the strong point. Do you think that Rockstar will still add in radio in this next of the series? Is there enough disc space for it?

And lastly, would Chatterbox return with Lazlow?

Opius, I know you are the goto man when it comes down to tech specs, so if you could could you give your input?

Sixteen Bit

I was just wondering, since GTA PSP is returning to Liberty City and all about this:

The audio/radio of the GTA series has always proven to be quite the strong point. Do you think that Rockstar will still add in radio in this next of the series? Is there enough disc space for it?

And lastly, would Chatterbox return with Lazlow?

Opius, I know you are the goto man when it comes down to tech specs, so if you could could you give your input?

I am sure it will have a radio. I mean it wouldn't be GTA if it didn't right?

The question that we should be asking is does anyone know if you will

be allowed to use custom audio like the X-Box versions. Since you can

save MP3s on your memory stick I don't see why it wouldn't be able to access

the memory card like the X-Box accesses the hard drive for custom audio

in the GTA3 & Vice City for the XBOX...? I hope so..??? notify.gif

The Goldeneye

Radio Stations have always been a tradition; From the original GTA to GTA:SA.

It would be disapointing to not see any Radio Stations in GTA PSP

Sixteen Bit
Radio Stations have always been a tradition; From the original GTA to GTA:SA.

It would be disapointing to not see any Radio Stations in GTA PSP

Hell yeah I agree..! Now all we need is custom audio..?

I hope radio stations are on it. No GTA would be complete without radio stations. I also hope Lazlow returns for Chatterbox. I always find my self listening to stations that have him on them (Chatterbox, VRock, WCTR).

If size is going to be a huge problem for this game, why not make it so you can switch discs? Like going from Island to Island. It should technically be possible. And would help make the game better IMO.

FlyingOfficer83
If size is going to be a huge problem for this game, why not make it so you can switch discs? Like going from Island to Island. It should technically be possible. And would help make the game better IMO.

Well, I personally do not want to switch discs while driving to another island. The loading screens in GTAIII and Vice City were enough.

There will not be a need. GTA: PSP is not going to take up more space than GTA3 did, so 1.8GB will be plenty of space to fit the game and radio stations with absolutly no problems. In fact, that should be enough space to put PC versions of both GTA3 and VC on the same disk. I don't see how R* can run out of such space with just Liberty.

There are no tech problems with having at least the GTA3 quality and ammount of audio that I can think of. The UMD disk will probably be constantly accessed anyways, so it shouldn't increase the power drain. Same thing goes for the custom MP3s from the memory sticks. There is no tech reason not to have them, and I don't think R* has ever denied the fans anything just because it took a few extra lines of code.

It's got to have Lazlow on Chatterbox, I liked the radio in GTA 3 so I'm hopefull this will be similar to it

Give me one good reason for R* to do that, and don't forget that the UMD is allready constantly accessed, meaning that it will not make a difference on battery life.

The radio should be fine. What we should worry about is ped voiceovers. In THUG 2 the music is good, but there's no voiceovers for the peds and secret characters.

Midnight BlueI dont think there will be alot of radio stations. Also Since it might a few years later in Liberty City there might be new stations.Red

I haven't really been following the PSP's development nor do I know what the hardware is like, but I think Rockstar could get away with using lower quality audio if needed. You're not going to tell the difference between 64K and 128K on either an inch-wide speaker or most headphones.

If they do end using audio at around 64K, and they use half the disk for audio as they have done with the other GTA's and assuming I've done my maths properly (I probably haven't), you could have around 7 hours of audio on there.

OK i got a question. first im new but theats not important. i own every gta game. ay way how many gigs and megs did gta3 take up or how much space did it consume

Without the radio, 300MB. With the radio, I think it fit on a single CD.

HEy is that the game? like with the cars, the city, the peds, and all the display stuff

and the radio is a seperat application? because if so then liberty city, new cars, voice overs, possibly carser city, and radio should fit on a umd easy.... also the graphics could be 3d or 4d whichever one it is R* should have no problem making it the best possible quality.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Espetially with the 4D graphics.

if the psp was 4D I think it'd win over the DS in all the pathetic fanboy arguments, lol.

as for the size, GTA3 (as stated) was on on CD, however actually installed and unpacked I think it was over 1GB in size. However don't forget the PSP is just a handheld. Graphics resolution and audio compression can both utilise the small screen and a slightly lower (or mp3) compression on audio will go unnoticed by the masses.

As for making the UMD disc spin a lot and consume battery life I think that's a bit hit and miss but I have a small theory. I've got a PSP and a few games have passed through it, games like Ridge Racer can load up a farly large map and have commentry without the need for the disc at all. PSP games can be hot swapped to enable 'game sharing', OK you have to swap the discs a few times between each PSP but it's possible, so the PSP can load up entire courses into memory (plus audio snippits (but not music)). Liberty city can be split into three area's easily, each area then may be divded up into smaller 'loading areas' this can then hopefully cut down on loading and disc access as the PSP will only have to load each area and not stream everything all the time. Music/Radio on the other hand may be more tricky, however by using the same methods, not impossible. Hopefully rockstar will add the memory stick feature as it will not only lower battery consumption but also let people who get bored of their tunes to swap them for something to their own taste.

However with the limited amount of info we know unfortunatly the only thing we can do is speculate...which sucks...

Simple algebra. Even without the music, GTA3 takes up 300MB, as mentioned before. 1/3 of 300MB is 100MB. PSP has 32MB of RAM. If you find a way to fit 100MB onto 32MB and still have enough memory left to fit in the music, please, enlighten us.

the PSP will be more compressed becuase of it's screen size...textures dont need to be as detailed becuase they are smaller visually, so they'll also be smaller in filesize...plus they probably built it around a different engine to the PC version so all numbers will be wrong anyway,,,use them as a guide.

i wish we had real news so we dont have to echat about this crap, it's boring now,

the PSP will be more compressed becuase of it's screen size...textures dont need to be as detailed becuase they are smaller visually, so they'll also be smaller in filesize...plus they probably built it around a different engine to the PC version so all numbers will be wrong anyway,,,use them as a guide.

i wish we had real news so we dont have to echat about this crap, it's boring now,

Ok. I've done an estimate elsewhere. I think it is fair to assume that using 4x less memory on PSP is reasonable for much lower resolution graphics. Since you need the same cars and pedastrians on all islands, it is more than reasonable to assume that there is absolutly no way you will compress data into less than 25MB per island. How much music can you fit on 7MB?

i dunno

I originally said that I think they will have it split into three islands, of which inside these islands could be grid like loading area's. Simply put the PSP could store the mesh of the island you're on and then load the textures/cars/peds and extra's for when you're in a defined area, as you move to different area's a new one loads off the disc, area's would probably need to overlap for no visual problems. either that or it will still only load one island at a time but then load only what you see dynamicly off the disc, however this would need much more loading i'd have thought.

Other people's opinions will be needed but I dunno how it'll fit onto 32MB of RAM nor am I really too bothered TBH.

edit: K^2 have you played on a PSP? They can probably do more than you think.

I think that they should have no problems fitin all of the info on the disk but i also understand were talking about load times i think it would be fine to have the islands split up and all of that other stuff you said. having the resolution lower due to the small screen gives them mor space to work with on the radio. because you can use lower types of mp3 format music. and if 7mb of music is compressed or whatever your talking about k 2 i calculated it it is roughly about 3 to 4 songs

edit: K^2 have you played on a PSP? They can probably do more than you think.

No, but I am familiar with its architecture. I'm even better familiar with PS2 architecture, and even have written some code in PS2 Assembley, so I know how that system works, and I know that PSP can't do anything that PS2 can't.

My prediction is that it will work very similar to GTA3. That is that some data, such as the actual geometry of the map, will be loaded separatly for each island when you enter it, and the rest will be streamed. The later includes vehicles, pedastrians, sounds, and, perhaps, some higher resolution models and textures for buildings.

In any case, the UMD will be used almost constantly.

it's highly possible...personally I dont really care anyway,,,I just want to play it now, or at least know some solid info.

feels like chasing a lost cause sometimes with games like this,,,I think Rockstar are making a bad move not giving out any information at all except a flaky 'one day' comment, it just makes me want to forget about it for a few months and come back but I guess it'll just be as anoying as advent children sad.gif

There will not be a need. GTA: PSP is not going to take up more space than GTA3 did, so 1.8GB will be plenty of space to fit the game and radio stations with absolutly no problems. In fact, that should be enough space to put PC versions of both GTA3 and VC on the same disk. I don't see how R* can run out of such space with just Liberty.

There are no tech problems with having at least the GTA3 quality and ammount of audio that I can think of. The UMD disk will probably be constantly accessed anyways, so it shouldn't increase the power drain. Same thing goes for the custom MP3s from the memory sticks. There is no tech reason not to have them, and I don't think R* has ever denied the fans anything just because it took a few extra lines of code.

rah.gif What the heck are you smokin? Vice City PC takes up 1.5 GB with the radio installed and GTA3 takes up around 500MB without the radio installed. Without Vice's stations, I guess it would fit, although you'd be cutting it close. Either way, the radio needs to be installed or put on a memory stick. Oh, and speaking of the radio on memory stick:

IT WON'T WORK!

A 128MB Memory stick is around $40-$50, and 128MB is not nearly enough for even 3 short stations. Unless Sony derives some magical codec that allows 4 1/2 hours of audio within 32 MB, no memory stick stations for you! rah.gif

Yes. You are right. I completly forgot about the compression. Uncompressed, which is how you want them on UMD since there is no HDD to uncompress to, they will roll over 1.8GB. What if some of the textures/models/sounds are reused? That ought to save a couple of hundreds of megs? And that should put it right under 1.8GB mark.

Nah. They need this to be as good as GTA3, so everything from at least GTA3 needs to be there. They could take out some unused textures like Ghost town and the observatory, but then again even taking those things out wouldn't bring down the size below 1.8GB. Besides, I see it as them using 800MB for sounds. (Radio, voiceing, effects, peds, etc...) Then, using the left over 1GB, they use 600MB for the visual stuff, a.k.a. vehicles, texures, the city, text, movies, pictures, FMV's, etc... Finally, the other 400MB is the story data, which includes the MAIN.SCM source code file, and the carcols thing, etc... Anything left (Probably about 50MB) would be user cache, replays, save files, settings... bbq.gif

if we can't rip umd's will never really ever know any of this info anyway... bbq.gif

I just wanna see some pictures (or play it) smile.gif

rah.gif What the heck are you smokin? Vice City PC takes up 1.5 GB with the radio installed and GTA3 takes up around 500MB without the radio installed. Without Vice's stations, I guess it would fit, although you'd be cutting it close. Either way, the radio needs to be installed or put on a memory stick. Oh, and speaking of the radio on memory stick:

IT WON'T WORK!

A 128MB Memory stick is around $40-$50, and 128MB is not nearly enough for even 3 short stations. Unless Sony derives some magical codec that allows 4 1/2 hours of audio within 32 MB, no memory stick stations for you! rah.gif

By the way, its more like 256Mb for $29