[TUT] Abstract

Harlem

This tutorial will take you through the steps necessary to create an abstract type image for signatures, avatars, banners, etc.

Abstract Set 2 by ~lildom

Abstract Set 1 by ~lildom

Brush Set 10 by ~Metal-CX

Open a blank document at whatever size you want. I'm using 300x90.

Set your colors to the default black and white (press N) and go to Filter >> Render >> Clouds.

user posted image

Now make a new layer and select the brush tool. Put a few a few brushes on the image making sure not to clutter that layer too much. Once you feel you've put enough on that layer, switch the color to black and make another new layer. Put some more on this layer and make another layer and switch back to white. Repeat this as many times as you feel is necessary. I usually have about four layers of brushes so I have two white layers and two black layers.

user posted image

Change the blending mode on all the layers to Soft Light.

user posted image

It looks pretty plain now right? Well, go to Image >> Adjustments >> Hue/Saturation and color it any color you please. Make sure you have the Colorize box checked. You also have to be on the layer you did the cloud render on or you won't be able to colorize it. I usually go to Layer >> Merge Visible before I color it.

user posted image

I used these settings:

user posted image

That ends this tutorial. You can get a lot of cool results from this as shown below.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

MsNobody's alternate account. No thanks. - Tsuro

Very Nice tut. I combined the steps in this one with a few other abstract tutorials, and came up with this.

user posted image

Thanks. smile.gif

Good tutorial, Harlem. I was looking for something like this. It really helped me. Thanks

namechanged170311

Yeah, that's helped alot, I was looking for one like this, thanks heaps!

That font is called Visitor, you can find it at Da Font. I also use Silkscreen sometimes.

Nice tut, its simple but has a nice effect smile.gif

@Xyzar: The set looks great mate, i like the tribal type patterns on it.

I have a question. Where do I download the brushes to. I downloaded them into photoshop cs, and I don't know how to retrieve the brush set. Any suggestions?

I have a question. Where do I download the brushes to. I downloaded them into photoshop cs, and I don't know how to retrieve the brush set. Any suggestions?

You unzip them into C:/Program Files/Adobe/Photoshop/Presets/Brushes and when you want to use one click the brush tool. Then, click the arrow on the top where the brush toolbar showed up and select the brushes you downloaded from the list.

Thanks Harlem, I appreciate it. I just made a signature using crappy default brushes so I'll make another in a little while, but thanks again.

Technical Difficulty

user posted image

Not bad. Good job on the tut, I like making Abstract-ish sigs. Nice job again...

user posted image

user posted image

I'm glad you guys liked it.

• 4 years later...
Narcis_speed6
you just started a bumping competition or something?