1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Two New Hacks

Azkoyen

I'm proud to annouce the installation of two new hacks for our lovely forums:

1. Topic Search (release topic)

This allows registered members to search the current topic (and only the current topic) for keywords and member names. It's an extension of the existing IPB search functionality, so there shouldn't be too many problems with it. I hope.

2. Topic Rating (release topic)

Every single topic on GTAF now has a rating associated with it. Use the links at the bottom of the topic to give your opinion. Ratings above 75% will display yellow karma stars on the forum view page, ratings below 25% will display red karma stars on the forum view page. Users can only rate a topic once, so don't go wasting your votes!

Enjoy, and don't say we do nothing for ye biggrin.gif

Frank-Tenpenny

First reply:). I think it's a good idea but the topic rating could a get annoying.

edit by Az: aw, poor tenpenny was 24hr temp banned for this spam sad.gif everyone congratulate tenpenny!

Edited by Azkoyen
RearEndCollision

F-T, don't be a moron with that first reply business. dozingoff.gif

I really like the new stuff Azkoyen, espically the searching feature. Now if only we could get on the flags hack. tounge.gif

As if GTAF isn't already the most feature rich board on the intraweeble, you all manage to throw on a few more slabs of code. Good work!

As I said in the other topics, Great Job GTAF! I love these 2 new features! I hope we can expect more new things to come for this awesome site.. Props and cookie.gif 's.
Suction Testicle Man

Suggestion. Topic creators are not allowed to rate their own threads.

Good job cookie.gif

I really like the search feature. That will come very handy. The rating system, Im not sure I like nor fully understand the reasoning, but its always neat to see new hacks. Good work.

Good job cookie.gif

<3D

That is already the case.

I was able to rate one of my gaming threads. wink.gif

EDIT: I can't rate my other gaming thread. mad.gif

Edited by Knightmare

May I ask ... how does the topic-ratings system work, exactly? Are all members' ratings equal, adding the same percentage on/taking the same percentage off, each time a vote is added? For example, will any old noob's rating count for exactly the same as a better all-round member? It would be hard to judge whom exactly would fall into the "better member" group ... there would be problems with it just being based on join date/post count etc... but is there anything at all, or are all equal?

I like the hacks, myself, but there do seem like there could be both some pros and cons to go along with the topic rating one.

Always one step ahead, eh? I like these two hacks alot. Will be entertaining. So far two topics are -3. The "fa**ots" one in General Chat and Enzyte's one-man-gang.

The search feature is very nice.

topic rating system is gonna be abused so easily. some people will just go and vote bad just cause they dont like the author or gang. but meh whatever.

Good job cookie.gif

<3D

That is already the case.

I was able to rate one of my gaming threads. wink.gif

EDIT: I can't rate my other gaming thread. mad.gif

Damn you knight, you got me. The topic you could rate was created before the installation of the ratings hack, and therefore your rating was NOT stored when you started the topic.

gta phil gta, check my first post for links to the release topics for these hacks. They show all the code, and explain how to install it too. For those interested, the ratings hack is basically an averages system. Every sinlgle topic starts out with a rating of 50, and a rating count of 1. That produces a rating of 50% If a second person was to rate it good, that would add 100 onto the rating, and 1 onto the rating count. That means the rating data is 150 and 2, which makes a rating of 75%

I might change it tomorrow and make the defaults different, so as a topic can't be deemed good or bad with only one rating.

Not to downplay your work or anything, but isn't searching the topic something most modern browser could do with the "Find' option? I mean, I searc through topics all of the f*cking time, and since I've gotten FireFox, all I really do is use the Find option. If someone has the google toolbar on IE, which most do, they could use the highlight feature , too.

All in all, it's a nice job.

Not to downplay your work or anything, but isn't searching the topic something most modern browser could do with the "Find' option? I mean, I searc through topics all of the f*cking time, and since I've gotten FireFox, all I really do is use the Find option. If someone has the google toolbar on IE, which most do, they could use the highlight feature , too.

Exactly. Now, if it was the regular search, that would be better.

GrandTheftGamer
This is great. This will work well in both the San Andreas topics (search) and the gangs (rating). Let's hope this really helps push GTAF over any other site. rah.gif

I think the topic rating is going to go downhill. People who think a topic is okay will not vote, those who think it is good are iffy, and those who think it is bad are for sure going to vote against it. Plus you have the random jerks who vote every topic as bad. Look at the Vehicles of Lynx topic (in vehicls). It had a %9 and 3 red stars before I voted it was good, and the the posts were positive feedback! What's up with that?!

The Topic Rating

Not only a pointless hack, A very ugly annoying and abused one. Many problems with this and i can see it being taken out in the next few days.

Anyone with a brain can tell if a topic is good or not. I would of thought there would be a member rating hack before topic rating. Topics come and go, who gives a sh*t. These stars look like sh*t.

Sag, does the google toolbar search through all pages in a topic? Come on man, think outside the box will ya?

Mercie, I feel your pain, and it is a problem. Do you think it would help if I lessened the amount of difference every vote made to the topic? ie: instead of the first vote reducing or increasing the topic rating by 25%, it only affects it by 5%. That way a topic would REALLY have to work at being good or bad.

btw, some bugs fixed. Thanks to Frank Tenpenney of all people tounge.gif

Not to downplay your work or anything, but isn't searching the topic something most modern browser could do with the "Find' option?  I mean, I searc through topics all of the f*cking time, and since I've gotten FireFox, all I really do is use the Find option.  If someone has the google toolbar on IE, which most do, they could use the highlight feature , too.

Sag, does the google toolbar search through all pages in a topic? Come on man, think outside the box will ya?

Mercie, I feel your pain, and it is a problem. Do you think it would help if I lessened the amount of difference every vote made to the topic? ie: instead of the first vote reducing or increasing the topic rating by 25%, it only affects it by 5%. That way a topic would REALLY have to work at being good or bad.

btw, some bugs fixed. Thanks to Frank Tenpenney of all people tounge.gif

Oi, I'm stupid. lol I never even considered having it do it to all pages, beacuse I have broadband and just going to the next page isn't a big deal to me.

Well, sh*t, good job. tounge.gif

Yea, the percentage each vote has to start off with should be less. That way only hot topics would get teh true ratings. Other wise you get one person voting for their topic and getting an immediate yellow star. beyond that, each vote gets an increasing percentage until it is just pos + neg divided by 2.

Uh, what about topic that have 20+ pages, you aren't going to search through every damn page, are you?

-Sweden pwns you.