3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

How Bad Do You Want A PSP/GTA PSP?

gtapsp

I don't have a problem with people liking DS. It is people who try to say that it is better than PSP that piss me off. If you like it more than PSP, then just say so. I don't care. But other than subjective like/don't like, you can only compare the hardware, and PSP's hardware leaves DS' in the dust.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Quality over quantity...do we want 10,000 3rd party games, or good quality games? Anyone who argues graphics can't be older than 12. NES, one of the best systems ever invented.It's about GAMEPLAY, and INGENUITY. If i wanna play ps2 on a small screen I'l hook my ps2 up to my Portable TV(Oh yeah, then I'l get my brother to pull the plug after 3 hours, for the full PSP experience).If i wanna play a brand new style of game, with intuitive new gameplay, with 2 screens, and touch sensitivity, I'l buy a DS.

to me the DS is a palm pilot with games sold sepertly. and to be fair the psp is a laptop that fits in ur hand. Also sony has always had better games for its console like ps1 had better games than n64 and it came out 3 years earlier. the ps2 isnt as good as xbox graphicly but it still makes better games than most of xboxs game

Edited by hopelessMx6

NES, one of the best systems ever invented.

No one's arguing with that. Nevertheless, no one is making games for NES anymore. That has to tell you something.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

NES, one of the best systems ever invented.

No one's arguing with that. Nevertheless, no one is making games for NES anymore. That has to tell you something.

It's...20 years old?

We got more innovative, exciting technology.

Edited by boobtronic

It's...20 years old?

Precisely. And among hand helds, PSP's tech is the most advanced.

It's...20 years old?

Precisely. And among hand helds, PSP's tech is the most advanced.

Well..alot of people would say it's neither inovative, or exciting. It's a small LCD screen. i have one of those in my calculator.

This only proves that you know nothing about LCDs. I happen to be getting my major in Physics at Kent State University, which has one of the top Liquid Crystal research facilities in US, so I managed to pick up a few things about them. Not a whole lot, since I am not particularly interested in soft matter physics, but enough to appretiate the technology, espetialy after seeing the prototype lab. PSP's LCD is a very good one. Comparing it to an LCD of a calculator, even a top of the line graphing one, is just stupid. It is signifficantly better LCD than that on the GBA or DS, and probably as good as on most high quality portable DVD players. But that isn't even PSP's strongest point. PSP has the most powerfull graphics adapter among portable game systems and a CPU as powerfull as that in PS2. If we judge a hand held system by its technology, PSP has no competition. Nothing even close.

Nobody's arguing the fact that PSP's hardware is far superior. And I do admit, my comparison was a little innapropriate. But what I'm saying is PSP brings nothing NEW, or innovative to the table, other than a small PS2, on a small screen. DS offers a whole new style of gomeplay, and a world of possibilities to developers.

First, look up innovative in a dictionary (http://www.dictionary.com) just to make sure that we're talking about the same thing. Is DS innovative? Touchscreen probably is, but it really isn't anything new. Palmpilots and PocketPCs had these for years. Bringing it onto a hand held game system was inevitable. The other difference is the dual screen. In order for it to be innovative, it has to be something that will become a standart in the future, and I don't think that dual screens will ever become associated with hand held gaming. Maybe there will be a few more dual screened systems in the future. Maybe it will become as ridiculous as multiple blades on a razor, but most hand helds will still have just 1 screen. PSP, on the other hand, shows that you can put into a hand held system almost as much power as into a full sized system. Next generation of hand helds will have to compete with that. They will all have to have a 3D graphics adapter capable of processing more polygons than XB does today, all because of PSP. That is innovation.

In any case, even if PSP's games will not be as good as DS', which I doubt, out of the two, it will be the system that will be remembered years from now. Of course, that is probably what I'd say about GameGear back when it was released, and where is it now?

ive basicly seen the ds before . I saw it when u have a gamecube and hookup a gameboy advance to it because u have 2 screens and one is the controler like the touch screen. So why is having a ps2 in a small package with mp3 and mp4 capabilitys not innovative, the way i see it the PSP and DS are just smaller versions of wat have been made with a lil better features

By this measure, no computer is innovative. They all do basically the same thing that computers in the 60's did, except they are a lot smaller and run a lot faster.

no computers basicly havnt changed since windows, but wat i was saying is that each sytem got the basic idea from somewere else, someone improved on an idea and didnt have an complete original idea. like the 2 screens or good graphics small package( ps2+portable screen)

And you're saying they changed before windows? Other than the video card, my old 486's hardware was pretty much the same as on my current machine with the AMD Athlon at its heart. Of course, I did have 3.11 on my 486, but I rarely used it. I mostly just used DOS.

Computers in the 60's didn't play MP3's, photos, or videos. They also didn't play games with full 3D Graphics. Or USB ports, or or Analog sticks, or stereo sound, or almost anything. rah.gif

Just about everything you listed relates to the software, and not the hardware capabilities. I would have no problem programming a computer from the 60's to play sounds, process images, and even do some simple 3D graphics. It would be of signifficantly lower quality and run much slower, but all of it was possible.

PSP and DS are computers. They are specialized computers, designed for gaming, but computers nevertheless.

i know this is a gta forum but I hate it when people talk smack about another console, If u don't like the DS sell it fine by me,

I like MY DS a lot I can't put it down lol, have u even played Super mario 64?

I do plan on buying GTA PSP and the PSP but Im going to wait like I did till everything come's down at the store's biggrin.gif

ok then the psp nothing then a ps2 handheld that's all nothing innovate about it, the Ds on the other hand has a new touch screen and dual screen's

ok then the psp nothing then a ps2 handheld that's all nothing innovate about it, the Ds on the other hand has a new touch screen and dual screen's

Dual Screens have been done before get this by nintendo themselves so it is not innotive. The only innotive is the touch screen for a handheld console I'll give them that.

user posted image

Amazing. I never knew that. I did a search, and came up with this page:

http://www.gameandwatch.com/screen/multiscreen/

which has a whole bunch of other Nintendo's multiscreen games. Now I have no doubt about where the idea for DS came from.

I want the Zelda Game and Watch lol. I may get a DS just for Zelda games. However psp first.

I decided against importing for a few reasons. Main reason was getting taxed heavily by customs. I'll have my psp in 2 days time.

hah yeah----ull get it in 2 days IF THERE ARE ANY! Lol Good Luck, I'll be one of them fighting you to get one :-)

I got mine today... Stores open at 8 (best buy), I got there about 10:30... plenty to spare.

Also note the PSP has about 4 times the amount of pixles for screen area as the DS. That means a way more crispy clear image on the PSP.

It looks so smooth. Mine came with SpiderMan2 (the movie) for free and a demo disk (plus a free rewards membership, which gives me about $10 or so of free credit, plus a game coupon for like $5 of a game, which over all means a game of about 1/2 off, plus a 2 week free trial GameFly membership who carries PSP games).

I cant wait for the GTA game to be released!

just like yo-yo-Pete, i just got the PSP and it fugin rocks. this thing is three times better than the DS touchscreen. it comes with spider-man2 when you buy the PSP, and the rsolution is like, better then most plasma screen tv's. i can't wait for gta so i can play a descent game on my PSP, cause, theres not really some good games out on it.