4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Manhuntkotor

VICE CITY ON PC WONT RUN!

Question

Manhuntkotor

Vice city wont run. It acts like it is loading with the disk spininng by the mouse icon, then does absolutley nothing. what should i do? i meet all requirements

MattP

Have you already installed the game? Or is that what you are trying to do?

Manhuntkotor

I intstalled it and put the play cd in but then it does what i said in previous post!

NYJets19

You have to click on the GTA: Vice City icon or shortcut in order to start the game. There is no menu that comes up for Vice City, because the computer (or at least mine) reads it as an audio disk.

Try clicking the icon, but if you already havent, then your out of luck.

L2wis

I have the exact same problem! (GTA VC for pc) The game used to run perfectly, and then just stopped completely!!!!! Which is why im here cos im after a fix too. bbq.gif

L2wis

OKAY I KNOW THE FIX!!!!! BROWSE TO THE FOLDER THAT CONTAINS UR SAVE FILES.. DELETE ANY .SET FILES, DON'E DELETE THE .B FILES AS THEY ARE UR SAVE FILES!!!!!!! PM ME IF U CAN'T FIND THE FOLDER WITH THE SAVES AND .SETS.

djembino

blink.gif

I have the same problem. Vice city (PC) has started perfectly for about 2 months, but now it won't load at all. All that happens is the spinning disc appears.

I have tried turning off autoplay and I have tried deleting the .SET files but none of it has worked!

Does anyone have any ideas about something else I can try? It's really frustrating isn't it?!

Samutz

There's a way to run it without the cd that might work. But it's against rules to discuss it, so don't ask how to do it or where to get what you need to do it. Just try to figure it out from what I just said. sarcasm.gif

mr. sun

Me too! I've got exactly the same problem, nothing seems to work. When starting i only get the spinning disc and it doesn't do anything anymore. the disc won't disappear until i restart the computer. Reïnstalling the game doesn't work either, the game has worked perfectly for over a year, and now suddenly only the stupid spinning disc.

Please help me and others with the same problem.

cryani.gif

p.s. sorry for my english, I'm from Holland

XSageX

I'm having the same problem (again). I had installed the game about a week ago and it had come up with the spinning disk and had not loaded. When I reinstalled the game, it ended up working. Now, though, it's suddenly having the same problem and comes up with the spinning disk yet again and will not load. What is wrong?!? I don't want to have to reinstall it again cryani.gif

freedom

Iam also having this problem, never had it before.

if i find fix i'll post it here for ya's

-=sleepy=-

Hey folks, I had the same problem, did a google search to try and solve the problem but didn't find anything. So, I was playing about, trying to work out what had changed to stop Vice City running. i did all the usual stuff, uninstall, reinstall, uninstall, restart, reinstall ... nothing worked, I even updated my graphics card drivers, still nothing.

So, I start playing about with random things, and noticed something I didn't recognise in my processes (Ctrl-alt-delete), the thing was called FireDaemon.exe ... so I did a google search on that to see what it was, apparently it's a program that allows programs to be opened as services, could be something to do with a firewall, or could be a trojan used to monitor what you do on your machine ... im not sure which, but I don't have a firewall ... so I went into the Control panel, into Administration tools, and into Services (windows 2000), stopped the firedaemon process, and disabled it ... restarted the machine, and presto ... Vice City works again smile.gif

So, I suggest you check your processes, look for FireDaemon or if that's not present see if there's anything in there you don't recognise, then do a search on google to see if you can find out what it is, if you don't need it, disable it.

Hope this helps.

RpgActioN

Same problem... anybody found a fix yet?

nightwalker83

Pm me and I'll try to help you.

Edited by nightwalker83

tamus28

Hi,

This is driving me nuts.

I have the exact same problem anyone managed to fix it yet?

FrenchFries504

Hi, im having the same problem, except that my CD is cracked... BUT...

I bought it cracked from the computer store, and it worked until like 3 weeks later (when it was too late to return). And the stupid crap, it had to be the PLAY disc that got cracked... but, the part that is cracked is the inside (the part that doesn't really hold the data [i think] ), so my question is: is it my cracked disc, or is it a factory problem (since i've heard numerous complains about this same problem)

Personally, I think it's that some of the disc work for longer than others.. I know that that sounds rather stupid, but it's the best I could come up with..

ForteZeppelinX
Hi, im having the same problem, except that my CD is cracked... BUT...

I bought it cracked from the computer store, and it worked until like 3 weeks later (when it was too late to return). And the stupid crap, it had to be the PLAY disc that got cracked... but, the part that is cracked is the inside (the part that doesn't really hold the data [i think] ), so my question is: is it my cracked disc, or is it a factory problem (since i've heard numerous complains about this same problem)

Personally, I think it's that some of the disc work for longer than others.. I know that that sounds rather stupid, but it's the best I could come up with..

You bought a CD that came cracked and didn't bother to return it immediately? confused.gif That sounds sort of odd... If it was cracked from the get-go, why didn't you exchange it? Either that or the way you explained it sounded like it was cracked from the beginning...

htsb8

:bored:

There is something mistaken of VC,I think.

reinstall OS,maybe fix it.

Balor

Did not have that proplem whit Vice City but whit gt3. and my comp is clean if stuff lol. and no spot on the cd. its a dvd rw that i have. i have the same proplem whit another cd. what did is that i go back to the store and ask them what it can be and they say its prop the dvd driver but alot of other cd works so iam not sure it can be that. But still it can be. So i asked for another cd and put in and it works. So my answer is try another cd to se if it works.

Should always go back to the store and ask them or search google about the dvd drive to see if its a common proplem whit it. other then that i dont know

htsb8

(excuse for my poor english,and some grammar mistake.)

i play the GTA:VC from my friend,so i have no cd.

my some friends have the same problems,me too.

i reinstall OS(XP SP2),Rah!i could play it again.

i told my friends ,reinstall OS(not VC),they did,most of them are ok

but some of them have problems all the same.

so i doubt vc bug

FrenchFries504

Sorry for the late reply, but anyways....

I didn't return it immediately because, like I said, I figured since the crack was directly in the middle, I didn't think that it would be a problem, and then when I installed it, it wasn't a problem till like 2-3 weeks later...

kingvegetto5000

I have the biggest problem out of all of you.Why?Because someone did this to my computer its not somethings that I did.I was playing MTA VC deathmatch and some a**hole was hacking,kicking people from the server and he wasnt an admin.So I tell him I'm gonna ban his a** I send an email to the admins.Heor she started talking like a psycho calling me child.So I try to play Vice City and after the intro movie,it gets to the title screen(the one before the main menu)and does nothing.Normally it takes about 45 secs of watching this screen before you see the main menu and can start your game.But it just stayed there.So I knew something was wrong when I couldnt even play in single player.My computer would crash and the only thing I could do to close vice city was to logoff.But when I did everything was huge the resolution was screwewd so I restarted and it looked fine but Vice City still didn't work.I reinstalled and theres no difference.At first it would sometimes work and I could play,but when I do almost anything(such as driving a car,even slowly!)it would freeze.Normally it would freeze for a few seconds and return to normal but instead it stayed that way.Now I cant even get past the title screen!I looked for Firedameon and I cant find it!Even worse,anywhere I reinstall vice city,the only thing that will show up is the direct x folder!Im screwed and need your help!That jacka** on MTA was hacking to mess with peoples games so I don't doubt that he did something to my computer. angry.gif

Justin

@ person above me:

Damn. That really sucks.

My advice, do an Ad-aware scan, a Spybot scan, a virus scan, and don't use MTA anymore. That's the safest option, anyway.

kingvegetto5000

Its working now,but I had to lower resolution and draw distance to try to stop it from freezing.It still has a few problems here and then but at least it works.I deleted the .set file in vice city user files

biggrin.gif

oreo321321

i WAS in the same position

I figured it out

Download this patch, and it will run great

http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi?&id...tion=downloads&

your welcome!

this is the first time ive ever came back to help someone after figuring it out.........I give myself a pat on the back.............*wow im retareded*

Drizz

ive had it too...

try to reinstall the game completely...

remove ALL your vc files... make a .zip for your saved games for keep them if you dont wanna loose em.

DELETE everything from Vice City.. then reinstall and it should be working..

worked for me. music.gif

FrenchFries504

Sorry for being off-topic sort-of, but I noticed someone say that they re-installed "SP2", but I already have it. So, I was wondering if it'll make a difference if I install it again? And, if I do, is it like the same thing as reformatting my computer (Will everything be erased?).

Thanks.

nightwalker83

Sorry for being off-topic sort-of, but I noticed someone say that they re-installed "SP2", but I already have it. So, I was wondering if it'll make a difference if I install it again? And, if I do, is it like the same thing as reformatting my computer (Will everything be erased?).

Thanks.

The answer two both questions is no. Are you still having the same problem I helped you with last time?

Edited by nightwalker83

FrenchFries504

Are you still having the same problem I helped you with last time?

Yea, I am still having the same problem, the stupid little CD cursor keeps spinning but nothing else happens, and the cursor doesn't go back to normal until I restart the computer.

[Edit]-I closed all programs, and left the computer alone, then I left the cursor spinning for like an hour, and it finally started, but then whenever it got to the screen with Lance, it stayed there for along time, so I left the house, and came back like two hours later and it was still there. So I brought up Task Manager, and it said Not Responding. So, it gets stuck at the Lance Screen.

If anyone finds a wink.gif solution, PM me it, or email it to me.

Edited by FrenchFries504

oreo321321

didnt you tards read my post?!?!?!?!

DOWNLOAD THE 1.1 PATCH AND IT WILL ALL BE FIXED

FrenchFries504

I downloaded the patch, but it said it can't recognize the version...

So, I don't know what else to do. cryani.gif