2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
Medallion Man

The London Dossier

liberty-city-cocks-rule

I think London would be a great setting for the next GTA. R* have the wit and humour to pull it off. Just look at how they've excellently parodied the stereotypical culture of people in NY, Miami and California. I don't want to sound like a small minded idiot but what stereotypes are there to parody in places like Detroit and St. Louis? In London you have london cabbies, bobbies, football hooligans, black cabs, red buses, tourist attractions, famous buildings, cockney accents, people from all over the world, and street gangs. It could work so well.

I'm also a huge football (soccer) fan, so possibly there could be missions incorperating this. Highjack a team bus, for example...? wink.gif

Black Gas

london sounds great.

anyone who doesnt see its potential should rent "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels."

I'd like to see the main character be a yardie, or a connected russian immigrant.

Buck2374

I too would like a UK set GTA next, ideally 3 cities like SA, maybe start in a version of Liverpool or Manchester, or have both for the rivalry between the cities, then move on to London for the last big city. I think everyone knows R* can be trusted to do the business, though can see why the Americans could be wary of it. Unrecognised voice talent used, roundabouts(!!) but i believe that this country has what is needed to make a good setting for the series. Only problem would be the weapon situation. As non uk ppl may or may not be aware guns are virtually outlawed in the UK after similar events to Columbine and the like, so there would be no Ammu-nations, well on the High Street anyway. Though this could easily be solved by just turning them into back alley, i know someone whos knows someone who knows someone who can get you a piece type places...But also wherever the next game is set i would like the SA theme of having to really earn your money and not making much through the early storyline to stay. I liked the fact that you have to rob and steal to make a few quid early on and not rely on story missions to line your pockets, plus make everything more expensive! I wanna cringe at having to blow 2 or 3 millon hard earned and hard fought for notes on the ultimate pad, and if there was a way around the gamble/lose/reload and repeat till you win strategy to actually make it a real risk would be good. Dont see the point of having millions in the bank...make us work to buy the good stuff!! Remove it if neccessary!! and no money cheat either!! And dont release the Startegy Guide till at least a month after release, lets how quick ppl finish it then! They may even get more out of the game if they played without someone holding there hand all the way through.

I will now shut up......

suicidal.gifsuicidal.gif

Brother Marcus

I too would like a UK set GTA next, ideally 3 cities like SA, maybe start in a version of Liverpool or Manchester, or have both for the rivalry between the cities, then move on to London for the last big city.

Same here.

4 cities

London

Birmingham

Glasgow

Manchester/Liverpool (mixed together)

plus Countryside and Towns.

Only problem would be the weapon situation. As non uk ppl may or may not be aware guns are virtually outlawed in the UK after similar events to Columbine and the like, so there would be no Ammu-nations, well on the High Street anyway. Though this could easily be solved by just turning them into back alley.

Yeah, I talked about that on another thread. In real life though, in say L.A. Someone like CJ would normally buy their tec 9's mach 10s etc from his own streets. He'd never get a licensed gun, criminals don't bother. Also "hand guns" are outlawed in the UK not Shotguns. Many farmers carry shotguns.

Buck2374

I hear ya about the gun situation, hand guns a big no no, shotguns seem to have a bit of leeway. Though going by the news guns are all over the place nowadays so it could work! R* could put an interesting slant on things with this slight obstacle, what that maybe i dont know...maybe have to befriend a "supplier" before u get your hands on some hardware, but still have the more rough street inhabitants being tooled up, knife, tazer, stungun, etc....and if it is UK present time based they HAVE to include chavs!! I wonder what R*'s version of Burberry would be.......... biggrin.gif

SteveShady

Burberry is so cool. I love my burberry hat and coat, wear em to the old Palace matches, great brand, good quality stuff.

liberty-city-cocks-rule

In Glasgow you could play a ned/chav and you're sex appeal would go sky high if you had one of those expensive Berghaus jackets.

Brother Marcus
In Glasgow you could play a ned/chav and you're sex appeal would go sky high if you had one of those expensive Berghaus jackets.

LMAO!

to Buck2374, they could have some crazy gangster that you go and see in a grimey backstreet ally. You can buy anything from him, and when you buy grenades and rocket launchers he could say some funny sh1t. (Just to replace that fella at Amu-nation). They could make it work that way if they did a GTA: UK.

GTA_Rik69

hey guyz good idea wif the london thing but i dont think its going to happen, put aside what happened with getaway (which i think wasent that bad of a game untill you actually finished the game) but i have noticed a sign near madd dogg's house. It sez "We're going to Dundee" which is actually a place in Scottland and i am onli thinkin it might be in Scottland bcuz of the whole sign thing is, is because in GTA: Liberty City there is a sign near the bridge over to staunton island that sez "We're going to Miami" which was the second GTA: Vice City so it's onli a guess but thats mi biggest guess.

If i get a pic of the sign ill post it.

Rik

identitycris

I reckon that R* couldn't go wrong with following the Old PSOne original GTA London Edition. 1960's London has got to be the time and place, Classic Cars, Classic Gangster characters, Classic music.

Bombin' round in an E-type replica, Beatles blarin', workin for 'Dickie and Davey' the 'Gray' twins. Who could beat it?

NeonHandshake

If they do ever decide to set it in the Uk (Let's be honest, everyone will be disappointed if they go back to just one city), i expect many snatch/lock stock references. Just as Scarface helped make Vice City, the idea of missions relating to pikies and unlicensed boxing would absolutely rock. biggrin.gif

mcdrye

I loved that post it just shows how different London is to most Americans. I mean just watch all the American programs like Will and Grace etc. Their view of London is so last century.

Did you know a recent survey found there were 96 different cultures in London?

I live in a town called Tilbury not far from east London. Tilbury also known as one of the worst towns in Essex, seriously ask anyone what they know about Tilbury and East London. I mean does anyone in America watch Eastenders. You can start to get an idea of East London there.

user posted image

Now here is a typical image of London, seems nice 'n' dont it? Well it aint like that in the back alleys and dark estates.

user posted image

A lovely little spot in Peckham.

I also think London should be the next game along with the stuff around it. Not London itself but a play on it because it would be compared too much to the Getaway.

For example their could be London with the main focus on south and east London eg Peckham, Acton, Dagenham and then a more central London with jokes on major landmarks (anyone in London knows about 30 St Mary Axe).

Then you could do an extreme image on North North London so provide the game with the rich areas and mansions. And then come the rest, Thurrock and then Lakeside Shopping Centre as the main mall lol. And Tilbury as docks area (imagine a different angle on Liberty City Portland). The public transport system should be dark and dinghy just just the District and Central Lines on the tube (London Underground for those not in the know) aswell lol.

I do see a problem with London though. Because it is built on a rivers flood plain it is FLAT. Remember the main compliant about Vice City.

Edited by mcdrye

Caligula

London would be an excellent venue. But there would be one problem. It has been done already in The Getaway series , which take 100 sq foot of London and plunge you into gang life. GTA:London or GTA:Capital City (I guess it could be) would have a lot of work to keep up with the detail that The Getaway series has.

llewlyn

I'm an American, and I am totally in love with the idea of seeting the next game in a version of London and doing it in the late 60's. Someone made a reference to the Krays, and I think that's perfect. It would also need plenty of vehicles and references from the original "Italian Job."

To Americans who object to another country being the setting-- please stop it. You're making us all seem as provincial as you are. I know that your objections aren't really the side you drive on and the accents-- it's really typical american xenophobia. But to counter the objections you claim to have:

1- I've driven a car in the UK. Through the Welsh countryside. After a couple pints. It's easy-- the steering wheel is always towards the middle. In two minutes, you forget that you're not on the side you're used to.

2- If you can't understand someone else who's clearly speaking the same language, that's because you're slow. And it's your problem and only affects you. People of normal intelligence can handle hearing slightly different vowels. American southerners are harder to understand to people from the north than British people.

Buck2374
London would be an excellent venue. But there would be one problem. It has been done already in The Getaway series , which take 100 sq foot of London and plunge you into gang life. GTA:London or GTA:Capital City (I guess it could be) would have a lot of work to keep up with the detail that The Getaway series has.

I see your point but all the GTA locations have been kinda "inspired by" real locations so a city "inspired by" London wouldnt have to even try and match the Getaway for detail and accuracy. Plus the Getaway series are different games to the GTA series they just fall under the "crime sim" genre so are constantly compared. I just wanna see roundabouts really......... biggrin.gif

Medallion Man

As far as I’m concerned the whole ‘London would suck ‘cuz the Getaway did’ line is a complete non-argument.

First of all R* did not make the Getaway, it is not part of the GTA series.

Does SA suck because True Crime was a complete pile of Turd? (Los Santos=L.A) These other games from other publishers have no bearing on GTA.

The Getaway was trying more to be a ‘playable movie’ than a GTA clone, but that’s besides the point.

GTA is different, it is not aiming for realism, it is a cartoon, as such creative liberties can be taken.

R* would not use the ‘Real’ London, they would BASE a city around its quirks. Liberty is not literally New York, Vice is not Miami, Los Santos is not L.A but they are BASED around those real world locations.

Real cities are not, after all, designed with driving/adventure games in mind. For example their street plans are confusing, there are no stunt jumps or landmark buildings designed specifically to aid navigation and contain set piece missions.

R* do not use ‘Real’ locations for the GTA series anymore, they make convincing cartoon cartoon exaggerations of real world locations. R*’s London would work, again: R* DID NOT MAKE THE GETAWAY.

Bottom line is that London contains everything we need. It is Multi-cultured. It has gangs and gang crime.Those gangs are multi-cultured/ethnic, thus varied. Its is different form U.S cities. (which are generally very similar on the most fundamental, geograhical/architectural level, described earlier in this thread)Therefore it is a fresh location. It contains rich and poor and is one of the worlds very largest cities in both land mass and population.

For all these reasons it makes more sense as a location than smaller U.S cities like Seattle. It is larger has more people therefore will contain more criminals. It has much larger ethnic groupings .For example Londons black ethnic group population alone of 782,474 is larger than the entire population of Seattle at 569,101.As a result of Londons rich spread of ethnicities it contains many varied gangs, each group produces it’s own criminals. Also it is geographically much bigger so we have more space to explore and cause havoc in.

In addition whilst I also see Moscow, Hong Kong and Tokyo as great future settings, those cities (when compared to London) are largely mono-cultured. That means its gangs would be fairly similar e.g Triads in Hong Kong, Russian Mob in Moscow and Yakuza in Tokyo.

Also I personally would like to see London used in tandem with other locations, possibbly a Chicago and a Moscow facsimile along with a more rustic rural third world location. Check my other thread here:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=160365

for a simple story idea of HOW London could fit into the GTA universe.

To prove that London is an unsuitable location you need a more reasoned argument than ’London sucks ass man, i no cuz i played getaway’.(or words to that effect.)

humancorpse

Yeah London could work but i see one problem. It would probably be hard for R* to have any previus characters included in the game since it is a another country. Gta wouldn`t feel the same without any connections with the previous games......

Strictlips
Being a Londoner, an East End Cockney one at that, i can clarify that this man knows his stuff. This needs to be slapped on every ignorant American's head who STILL believes the bowler hat and tea stereotypes.

Good Job

(btw i love Americans really)

Almost every Uker I know says the same thing about Americans. I think they say it just because they are afraid of getting a cap in their ass when they go to bed tonight cool.gif

TommyVercettiOwnzCJ
My concern is some Americans might go insane with the British accent after awhile. Just saying.

kierz04

Gta wouldn`t feel the same without any connections with the previous games......

Kent Paul???

London is looking like the number 1 choice

My concern is some Americans might go insane with the British accent after awhile

if we can get used to the american, u can get used to the cockny, or the Saff Lundun, or the liverpudlian one.

anguish

great argument, youve convinced me ;] i feel london is definetly the most probable city to be made into the next gta game due to their current pattern of making a 3d ver. of the previous cities from gta.

Whagwhan Chickwhan

Yeah London could work but i see one problem. It would probably be hard for R* to have any previus characters included in the game since it is a another country. Gta wouldn`t feel the same without any connections with the previous games......

Kent Paul, Maccer, Love Fist, that kinky British Bloke who loved to be spanked on the radio, or they could take someone like Lance Vance and have him move to Britain.

The Tick
My concern is some Americans might go insane with the British accent after awhile. Just saying.

And not all of us are hard pipping ni**ers. Do you think it was easy for some crackers to get the street slang down the frist round about? Of course not. We 'E-Merikans' can get used to a lil' cockney. After all, Kent Paul was funny.

Medallion Man

I just thought of another top benefit of having a GTA in a London-stylee; we can set the speakers Tumpin’ wid sum biddy-biddy bad boy Drum an’ Bass and Jungle-ist ona radio station...I just about can hear ‘Chopper’ droppin from here.

Oh and TommyVercettiOwnzCJ regarding the British Accent I'll just qoute your compatriot llewlyn:

2- If you can't understand someone else who's clearly speaking the same language, that's because you're slow. And it's your problem and only affects you. People of normal intelligence can handle hearing slightly different vowels. American southerners are harder to understand to people from the north than British people.

PCJ.

I read the first page, skimmed over the rest, so some of this may have already been said.

First, nice post MM well done with all the facts

I live in London, North west, and im all fro the idea of GTA: [London but called something else]

ok its stereotyped that were all posh bastards, but i can garantee you, the only place remotely like that is the west end, north, NW, central, and eastend are all crime hotspots.

Any one who has the arguement, 'Getaway' sucked, so GTA london would suck, id agree partly, Getaway did suck, But so did Trure Crime, that was set in LA, R* managed to pull of a game in LA pretty well.

The story line will kick arse too, with all the cultural diversity, just imagine who you would be doing missions for... inlove.gif

and just remeber, its the next GTA:2D taht still need to be made in 3d.

my only reservation is after SanAn, going back to one City, buit therre is a simple solution to that, Machester and Birmingham newcastle and glasgow are all big cities as well, why not a nationwide GTA:UK???

Finally, i recon the Date should be set in modern day, i think with VC, it was justa bit of a gimmic, perhaps not with SanAn, but i still like the modern day

FlyingOfficer83

My formula.....

GTA: England [obviously they can't call it that]

Think of the vast diversity of England itself. R* could make a setup like San Andreas with a few major cities (London, Manchester, Birmingham) and countryside in between. The towns in San Andreas resemble the size of a small English village, so why not have historic English villages in between (complete with a Norman-style church and thatched cottages). The game wouldn't be without its fair share of hills (think Yorkshire area). As said before, England doesn't just have rain and fog, most parts are nice and sunny in the summer. Snow could be finally included. Although southern England doesn't usually get much snow, northern England gets quite a bit. Of course the cities cannot be made like the real cities (Getaway, True Crime) but based off them. The amount of "gangs" you could take missions from would be extreme. Imagine doing a mission which involves stealing a caravan for a gypsy or maybe even doing some missions from a corrupt royal family!!! I agree that without a touch of America, GTA wouldn't really be the same. That's why you include a LARGE American military base (RAF Lakenheath) about the size of one of the cities.

I could easily see a GTA: England next.

leper73

I would like a game to be moved into Europe, but I don't want a 3D carbon copy of London, with the Crisp Twins, Jack Parkinson, Harold Cartwright, and all the exact same characters. Give it a new spin, new characters, and new plotlines.

NotoriousJay
I would like a game to be moved into Europe, but I don't want a 3D carbon copy of London, with the Crisp Twins, Jack Parkinson, Harold Cartwright, and all the exact same characters. Give it a new spin, new characters, and new plotlines.

GTA always has wherever its been set.

NotoriousJay

Never stopped them making Los Santos after True Crime: Streets of L.A. was released. Which had loads of detail but was generally a sh*t game. The GTA series can easily outclass The Getaway aswell.

Medallion Man

The point of this thread is basically to be THE DEFINITIVE London promotion thread. Its here to debunk all those unsubstantiative anti-London arguments. I tear jhem up, jump up ang downg on jhem ang jhen... I spit on jhem!

What we have learned so far:

Size: Jes, as every woman knows size matters. London is easily big enough. In terms of both land mass and population it dwarves all U.S cities, with the exception of New York which has a marginally bigger population but a marginally smaller land mass. London is and always has been one of the worlds largest and most important cities.

Variety: Jes variety, it is the spice of life. Now London is one of the worlds most ethnically diverse cities, containing a myriad of different cultures. Immigration has been high and is increasing in London. Pretty much any ethnic group you can think of exists in London, from African to Chinese to eastern european, read the rest of this thread and you will see that London is indeed a multi cultural centre.

I can be pretty confident when I say London also contains more variety in its architecture and layout than any other city on earth. London’s streets have evolved of two millennia from the Roman occupation right down to modern construction underway as we speak. A game based on London would bring us a city that would be more visually rich and varied than any that the series has shown us to date.

Rich and Poor: London, like all major Urban centres contains a wide spread of rich and poor, from bums, to those living below the bread-line in housing estates to those living in multi-million pound town houses.

Crime and gangs: As a result of the rich and poor and the segregation that occurs between the two groups in any city, the poor become ghetto-ised and have to find a way out. This leads to crime, of all levels and gangs of which London has many. Also the ethnic diversity means that there are many kinds of ethnic, thus different gangs in London. See my descriptions of the gangs in London at the start of this thread. London has gangs and crime.

Now I turn to the completely moronic and groundless arguments that are a result of stupidity as opposed to the arguments above which are the result of ignorance.

Accents: If you struggle to understand english as you are not an english speaker you know that you have to live with the fact that westernisation has lead to English being the pre-eminent language of the world. Though surely R* could produce dubbed versions in certain languages? However if you are an American and you cannot understand the language that you speak purely as a result of different pronunciation of words, then I am afraid that you are a moron. It really isn’t that hard, pay more attention or switch on the subtitles. If you can read ?

The Getaway Factor: The Getaway is not a R* game, was not a GTA clone, R* would not try to make a real London. Get over it. I destroy this argument earlier in this thread.

Tie ins with previous Games: If you cannot see a way to tie in characters from previous games that is because you are un-imaginative. It does not have to be Kent Paul. For one Example Donald Love could be operating out of his companies London subsidiary, For another Check here ( Joey Leone story ).

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=160365

R* don’t use real cities: I KNOW and I address this constantly throughout this thread! One of the first things I dealt with was that real cities have draw backs as settings for games. We all know that GTA cities are twisted parodies of real locations. Once again GTA is a cartoon. This thread is just here to show that a location BASED on London would work.

We don’t want to go back to just one city: Nor do I, this thread just shows you that a London parody would work fine as ONE of the MANY cities in the next game.

The only valid argument against London I can think of is that it is built on a river flood plane and is largely flat. There are Hills in london though and plenty of variety in building height. However we all know by now that this city would not be used on its own but rather in tandem with other locations. Las Venturas was flat in SA but we have the countryside and San Fierro to balance it out.

Regarding other Locations to use with London: Whilst I would like a purely UK GTA I don’t think that you could sell this idea to quite a few Americans so I don’t see R* considering just the UK.

Europe would work fine, plenty of countryside to build on. Have parodies of London, Glasgow, Amsterdam, Milan and then suck Moscow over from the East. I think that would be viable. You could use an American protagonist to placate discontented yanks.

Also London could be fit in with a GTA world, global crime syndicates and networks operate through London. It is prime real estate. You could easily fit London into a story containing parodies on Chicago, Columbia, Hong Kong etc. (The far east is also an interesting location for GTA).

Finally I would argue that a present day setting would be the most effective for a London style city as we have much more of the oh so important variety in our city now than at any era previous.

So if you are still unsure on a London stylee setting in the next game, place your concerns in here. Also if you think you have a reason for not putting a London stylee setting in NXT whack it in here for me to tear it down. wink.gif

Edited by Medallion Man