2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto: RAY CITY?

this needs to be pointed to with some gold stick:

http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~siraplet/

from the website:

Ray Tracing in Racing Games

Racing Games have very strict requirements regarding interactivity.

As a scientific study Saarland University developes in cooperation with Erlangen University the worlds first completly ray traced Racing Game.

The point is to prove that the high quality of raytraced graphics can be archieved with acceptable framerates.

The project is set in a rich urban environment. The models and textures to provide this environment have been used from Rockstar Games title "Grand Theft Auto Vicecity".

This project is based on an adjusted version of the q3rt engine by Daniel Pohl, whom I also want to thank for his great support.

Please note that this work is in progress.

The following features are to be expected:

* realtime 3d raytrace engine

* framerate scales nearly linear to number of computers used

* realistic glass with reflection and refraction

* varnish shader

* realtime per-pixel shadows

* colored realtime per-pixel shadows

* realtime soft shadows

* colored lights

* daylight cycle with change in color and intensity

* ground fog

* loading grand theft auto vice city content

* support for renderware dff model format

* support for DirectX dxt texture format

* console to modify internal game parameters

* movement by foot, motorcycle, car, boat, plane, helicopter

* integrated benchmark system

* offline rendering for saved demos

* exemplary some vegetation replaced with high polygon models

* realistic physic for vehicels

* physic for players (e.g. gravity)

* collision detection for players and vehicels

* damage model for vehicels and some models

* player animations

* simple waypoint AI

* traffic simulation and pedestrians

* possible resolution up to 16384x16384x32

* png screenshots

* sounds

* mipmapping

* camera and teleport portals

* reflecting water

i think they'll put renderware out of buisness tounge.gif

Click for screenshot

basicly, this picture shows gta-vice city rendered with some awesome new

hardware ray-tracing technology.

heh, sorry for abusing the forum news system, but i am not allowed to post news on gtanet so tounge.gif

damn, that looks good wow.gif

What's that being used for now? What's it actually all about, or did I miss something? blush.gif

- Vice Law: 1 / 2 / 3

That's amazing. Too bad Rockstar didn't get their hands on this when they were still in the early stages of developing San Andreas... Or did they? I doubt it, but this would still be great for future games.

Hello everybody!

It's very nice to see people are interested in cutting edge science.

The screenshot that has been posted however must be put in some context.

This work is in progress. As the keen observer already noticed, there are some glitches. The powerlines have no transparency for example. Also I haven't implemented vertexnormals yet. This will all be done step by step.

I'm programming this game as a scientific study and thus the primary focus will be technical. Sorry, but it won't be a real GTA VC. Basically I'm just using the geometry and textures to provide a nice setting for a much simpler racing game.

One should also note that this is not done in hardware. No real raytracing hardware does exist yet (but there is a prototype in development at Saarland University) so everything is done in software. To archieve this kind of computing power grids of 10-30 dual processor pcs are used. But one can of course scale down the resoltion to 128x128 pixels and it will run with ca 15fps on a single cpu. So no hope for any of this stuff on the market soon confused.gif

I will update the site http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~siraplet/

from time to time whenever there are new features to be shown.

If you're interested in the realtime raytracing projekt in general, check out the site of the computergraphics department of saarland university http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/RTRT/.

Thanks for your support!

That's amazing. Too bad Rockstar didn't get their hands on this when they were still in the early stages of developing San Andreas... Or did they? I doubt it, but this would still be great for future games.

agree

realistic glass with reflection and refraction

good news for MI

To archieve this kind of computing power grids of 10-30 dual processor pcs are used. But one can of course scale down the resoltion to 128x128 pixels and it will run with ca 15fps on a single cpu.

Can you call this a real-time engine, when on a "normal" PC with "normal" resolution (like 1024x768) it runs at only a few FPS? Will it ever run at acceptable framerates?

Shadows!!! And real reflections!!!

oooh man! i'm gonna... no, no wait, i don't cum over computer games.

though i am quite happy smile.gif

To archieve this kind of computing power grids of 10-30 dual processor pcs are used. But one can of course scale down the resoltion to 128x128 pixels and it will run with ca 15fps on a single cpu.

Can you call this a real-time engine, when on a "normal" PC with "normal" resolution (like 1024x768) it runs at only a few FPS? Will it ever run at acceptable framerates?

it will run at acceptable framerates like they said -

they are making a piece of computer hardware

that would ray-trace scenes (if i got the whole project right)

Wow im blown away....is this gonna be a i download or a new product or hows this going to be distributed? If distributed at all....

Exkabewbikadid
Wow im blown away....is this gonna be a i download or a new product or hows this going to be distributed? If distributed at all....

I'm programming this game as a scientific study and thus the primary focus will be technical. Sorry, but it won't be a real GTA VC. Basically I'm just using the geometry and textures to provide a nice setting for a much simpler racing game.

Too bad the hardware doesn't exist yet. This would be a big step towards photo-realsim in games.

Holy sh*t, that looks awesome.

10-30 dual processor pcs

Dammit, thats gotta be awesome.

Hey, when you're not using that spiffy PC, can I run a BF1942 server on it? Can you say no lag?

ummn cool I think. the problem is textures in GTA are sucky. cartoonish. In GTA:3 it was ment to be cartoon. GTA3 looked kick ass. VC could have done it better, but they whent into realism instead of surealism. and as formentioned the shadows are "ill".

If you want to really impress me make a graphics engine that defines all graphic shapes(the models not collision files) as solid, or having a certain amount of density. Chop the efort of developing in have, and the cpu cycles. better yet get better textures or better lighting including the light that reflects off of everything.

pfft the entire engine needs to be reworked or get turned into cartoon, F#ck even "Jak2" has better graphics then VC. VC is only good because its fun but so is the original "Joust" or "Pong".

I think R* got there hands on this...

There are some other things that delfi listed that have been hinted at for this game:

* realtime 3d raytrace engine

* framerate scales nearly linear to number of computers used

* realistic glass with reflection and refraction

* varnish shader

* realtime per-pixel shadows

* colored realtime per-pixel shadows

* realtime soft shadows

* colored lights

* daylight cycle with change in color and intensity

* ground fog

* loading grand theft auto vice city content

* support for renderware dff model format

* support for DirectX dxt texture format

* console to modify internal game parameters

* movement by foot, motorcycle, car, boat, plane, helicopter

* integrated benchmark system

* offline rendering for saved demos

* exemplary some vegetation replaced with high polygon models

* realistic physic for vehicels

* physic for players (e.g. gravity)

* collision detection for players and vehicels

* damage model for vehicels and some models

* player animations

* simple waypoint AI

* traffic simulation and pedestrians

* possible resolution up to 16384x16384x32

* png screenshots

* sounds

* mipmapping

* camera and teleport portals

* reflecting water

-Spidey...
Digïtál £vîl

isnt this just similar to the Unreal 3.0 Engine. now that is some kick ass graphics at really low rates and the such.

go to fileplanet and sign up and download the preview video. it so kicks ass.

Ah, those look nice. I wonder what games they are using that on now? Everytime I see raytrace, I think of cell shading, which reminds me of auto modellista tounge.gif

isnt this just similar to the Unreal 3.0 Engine. now that is some kick ass graphics at really low rates and the such.

go to fileplanet and sign up and download the preview video. it so kicks ass.

I don't think any games use real raytraced graphics. Raytracing uses up serious resources. I remember using Real3D on my old Amiga and leaving it running overnight to raytrace single high-res pictures. Granted it was on old hardware but you'd need some serious kit to raytrace 25+ frames a second. It'll make for some awesome graphics when the hardware available in the future.

KM.

Raytracing uses up serious resources.  I remember using Real3D on my old Amiga and leaving it running overnight to raytrace single high-res pictures.

That's where the OpenRT library comes into play. The Saarland University has developed new algorithms to speed up raytracing by a factor of ca. 30.

And yes, it will be much faster and better when the required hardware is available. Just try running any OpenGL or Direct3d game in software rendering or on a computer that doesn't have a 3d graphics card. That should give you an idea of what step in quality is to be expected

But to all of you who hope to download this when it's done:

I have to crush your hopes. Neither the OpenRT library nor the necessary hardware will be available to the general public for quite some time. Sorry, all I can give you is a peek into the future. confused.gif

Does that mean you've come up with a software method of speeding up raytracing? Like a much more efficient algorithm for raytraced graphics? If so it sounds pretty cool.

Also, do current Direct3D and OpenGL graphics cards help much with raytracing 3D graphics? I mean they're designed for the kind of 3d rendering that games usually require but can they be utilised for what you're after? Also does a 3d card make software like Lightwave or 3D Studio Max render animations faster? Excuse my ignorance but the last time I used a 3d software package was Real 3D on my Amiga 10-12 years ago. All I knew then was that RAM and CPU speed was required for faster rendering.

I used to love 3d rendering. I remember rendering some cool stuff that I was half thinking of sending to Amiga Format magazine which had a section for that kind of user submitted stuff.

KM.

That looks awesome, kind of looks like True Crimes... I bet it would be a hell of a DL...

with a raytraced engine...hopefully car paint, refections can then be setup using light intensity gradients to give very very realistic refections, and coll effects of on the cars

Does that mean you've come up with a software method of speeding up raytracing?

Yes, the trick is to order space and the objects in it, so the hit-tests and ray traversal is speeded up.

Also, do current Direct3D and OpenGL graphics cards help much with raytracing 3D graphics?  I mean they're designed for the kind of 3d rendering that games usually require but can they be utilised for what you're after?  Also does a 3d card make software like Lightwave or 3D Studio Max render animations faster?

There are some thoughts going into that direction. For raytracing what you need most is floating point calculations. The next generation of graphics cards could be a big step in that direction. I don't think today's hardware is a big help though. There are some studies to basically run every kind of calculation on a normal graphics card. Since this is pretty much driver coding and machine code I can't really tell you much about it. As far as I know rasterization cards don't help with raytracing in any 3D Modeller today. In Maya there is a hardware mode I think, but this is not raytracing.