4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Choppy play...

DiazIsMyBitch

DiazIsMyBitch

I spent a lot of time searching the forum, and couldn't really come up with what's ailing me. Here's my specs:

Running GTAVC v. 1.0

Intel PIII 802 mHz

256 MB RAM

Xtasy 6964 NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti500 Driver 53.03

WinXP Pro

DirectX 9.0a

Creative SBLive Value Sound Card

GTA3 played great on my system after getting the GF3. Vice City, even at 800X600X16 is a little choppy, most notable when I crash a car--it appears to skip when this happens. I'm not a big techie at all, so things like overclocking, etc. don't really apply. I don't even know how to check fps on a game, to be honest. I've messed with the in-game controls according to what I've read here, but nothing's helped. Did a de-frag and reinstall of VC as well. Any help is appreciated--

Cartoon Corpse

it seems you're on the edge of anemic hardwarewise to me. do you kill all other running procs (except kernal, systray, explorer)...may help some. how much ram in you video card? (im an ATI man)

interesting though cause i have lag trouble in gta3, but im full blast in vice. so i'd expect you may be able to get there if your gta3 is running fine. apparently vice city is more efficient engine.

do you have any siblings you can sacrifice to a god or anything? or you could sell them into slavery to buy some fancypants hardware maybe.

DiazIsMyBitch

Thanks for the info.

This might be another dumb question, but should the fan on my video card always be running, or does it only come on if it gets hot? I opened up my box, and found A LOT of dust in the fan, and when I rebooted, it doesn't come on...

Cartoon Corpse

demarest turned me onto this. you need to blwo out the fan from time to time. mine significantly heats up the computer room (spare bedroom)...at least, every year or so. just use a hose..(kidding). i used canned air. (im ready to die now)...it's alot of heat. like a chick. then they fail you.

DiazIsMyBitch
demarest turned me onto this. you need to blwo out the fan from time to time. mine significantly heats up the computer room (spare bedroom)...at least, every year or so. just use a hose..(kidding). i used canned air. (im ready to die now)...it's alot of heat. like a chick. then they fail you.

So, is that a "Yes, it should always be on?" biggrin.gif

I'm gonna try and overclock this thing, but not if the fan's broken...

Cartoon Corpse

well cooling IS significant. dunno your parameteres. cleaning helps with cooling. i'd be working the cheap stuff unless money was no object.

You have a PIII 800 MHz and a GF3 Ti500 an you're going to overclock the video card? notify.gif Your CPU is already the bottleneck, so ramping up the vidcard is going to accomplish nothing except shorten its life; something you've already done by running it without its fan for who knows how long. It wouldn't surprise me if once the dust is out and the fan's back on, if your original problem went away. VC's graphics engine is leaner than GTA3's, but its CPU usage is greater.

DiazIsMyBitch

Well, my buddy hooked me up with a GeForce4 Ti4600, and I'm still getting the same results. Must be a processor issue. Oh well, guess it's time to upgrade. Thanks for the help!

DiazIsMyBitch

Well, I solved my problem, and just wanted to post it so anyone with a similar problem might have some help.

After looking at numerous message boards, websites, etc., I tried turning off the antialiasing and aniosotropic filtering settings, and changing the audio output on the game to Headphones. The game plays splendidly now. I don't know if it was the combination of these things, or just one, because I haven't experimented with them too much, but the problem is gone.

Thanks for the help!

GTA3Freak-2001
Well, I solved my problem, and just wanted to post it so anyone with a similar problem might have some help.

After looking at numerous message boards, websites, etc., I tried turning off the antialiasing and aniosotropic filtering settings, and changing the audio output on the game to Headphones. The game plays splendidly now. I don't know if it was the combination of these things, or just one, because I haven't experimented with them too much, but the problem is gone.

Thanks for the help!

Well no wonder its choppy, AA and AF on a GeForce 3 can slow things down quite a bit especially in your case having 800Mhz and only 256mb ram.

My 4600 choked whenever I set those beyond 2x. GTA3 has issues if I go above 4x on each with my 9700 Pro. This was common sense in my opinion confused.gif