The thread that started it all

Demarest

Double posts are never frowned on in this particular sub-forum. As long as it's not within a few minutes of each other.

As far as the radio, I'm not sure. I know in the normal game, the scm tells the radio to start at the beginning of the Head Radio channel. I don't recall how (or if) it's set in debug mode.

When you tried to add your station before, were you attempting to add a new station or replace an existing one? You should be able to replace any of the 9 (?) stations with your own mp3 file. You'd just need to edit the gta-lc.ini file (preferably with the GUI)

I tried adding, not replacing :(

"Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the grave, for evil finds lodging among them."

Craig Kostelecky

You'd have to do some exe hacking to get a new radio station to play. If you want your own, just replace your least favorite official one. If you just replace the file and keep the name the same as the old one, you wouldn't have to do any hacking (except changing the gxt)

You'd have to do some exe hacking to get a new radio station to play. If you want your own, just replace your least favorite official one. If you just replace the file and keep the name the same as the old one, you wouldn't have to do any hacking (except changing the gxt)

Did that already, I replaced all of my radios already, now I'm looking forward to add more. I have to ask R4GN0R0K for this, maybe he can help.

"Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the grave, for evil finds lodging among them."

so I decided to have a go and see if I could make any improvements to LC by digging through files and seeing exactly what was up. stuff done so far:

• converted every single texture from scratch from GTA III to vice city format, and with proper compression to boot. will convert a few textures from ps2 due to them being missing/changed on the pc
  • picked misc, generic, and hud txds clean of useless textures, misc is blank and generic is now only the money texture
  • updated the fonts file with the 1024x1024 2nd font, doubling the resolution. I'll see if the polish and russian fonts can be improved
  • added player2 to skins folder
  • converted particle txds from ps2 vc and III then mashed them together, helicopter now has its III shadow and the car shadow looks less nasty. the leaves have also been redone to squeeze a bit more quality out of them and the water reflection is gray like in the original ps2 vc
  • updated various hud textures with their 10th anniversary counterparts, weapon icons use recolored vice city textures. I'm going to make an alternate version with the ps2 stuff instead, and maybe remake those icons using the higher-res ones
  • converted load screens from III ps2, they are now fully uncompressed and have no logos on them

anyone interested in testing all of this out? there's a ton of files that go in gta3.img naturally, to install them I personally used g-img to import and imgtool to rebuild since the former doesn't seem to have that function

edit: I'd like to thank dimzet13 for the original 10th anniversary files

edit 2: new download link, replaced the dodo rotor with its ps2 version, redid the radar textures, removed messy icon txds, fixed stadium texture

edit 3: extra update

Edited by Mr. Jago
  • Like 3

Craig Kostelecky

Interesting! I do not currently have the chance to test any of that out. So if anybody else is able to check it out, please let me know how it all looks. I'd also like to know if space, ModelingMan, Ash, or Silent object to using any of this.

oh god don't install the radar textures, I just turned it on and everything's ruined

Interesting stuff Mr. Jago. I'll give it a try as well. Think you could upload it to Mediafire? Mega's blocked in here. I think I'll try extracting some of the III Anniversary Edition stuff and see if I can contribute anything to the textures as well.

Edited by Sentrion

Interesting stuff Mr. Jago. I'll give it a try as well. Think you could upload it to Mediafire? Mega's blocked in here. I think I'll try extracting some of the III Anniversary Edition stuff and see if I can contribute anything to the textures as well.

wow right as I leave for school :p, I'll make some fixes to it first then reupload

edit: link updated

Edited by Mr. Jago

sorry for double post, but I was wondering: what are your guys' thoughts on using ps2 stuff? there's a few things that are straight up improved but some people might disagree with changes such as the ps2 train, different audio for "under surveillance" (where asuka mentions the mafia instead of the cops), and the various hud differences. I don't know, would it be best to stick to the pc designs?

Craig Kostelecky

We already use the original audio for Under Surveillance. Not sure what's different about the train, though I do know we were limited with the train as we control it with the scm instead of with the exe. So it mostly is like it was in III.

To answer your question more generally, I'm for whichever one is "better" as long as it's either easy to do or done by someone else besides me :)

And in this sub-forum at least, you don't have to apologize for a double post. I usually only check the posts when the envelope lights up. So if it's just an edit to a previous post, I may miss it.

Played LC for a bit with Mr. Jago's pack. Everything seems okay except the messed up pager. The game uses /models/hud.txd/screw as an image for the pager and /models/hud.txd/brassk for the font, but the images aren't there, so I restored them. Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k06gvxy6b1pouvt/hud.txd?dl=0

P.S. ThirteenAG's Widescreen for VC causes the game to crash when it's about to show the pager. I solved the problem by deleting Resolution Override ASI.

Edited by Claude Liberty

Played LC for a bit with Mr. Jago's pack. Everything seems okay except the messed up pager. The game uses /models/hud.txd/screw as an image for the pager and /models/hud.txd/brassk for the font, but the images aren't there, so I restored them. Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k06gvxy6b1pouvt/hud.txd?dl=0

P.S. ThirteenAG's Widescreen for VC causes the game to crash when it's about to show the pager. I solved the problem by deleting Resolution Override ASI.

I had a feeling I deleted the wrong pager textures, there's another file containing them in the txd folder and I rolled 50/50 and choose the wrong one :p thanks for testing though, appreciate it

edit: I have some more stuff to show, watch this post for an update!

edit 2: reconverted the shotgun because it had a weird uv and stretched texture, converted the grenade because the mod normally uses the VC one. hud.txd is now fixed. also included the old player model from before all the models got replaced with automated conversions as sort of an "optional" thing, as I think the rigging's much better on it

https://www.mediafire.com/?jbqd2y8t42g9r2p

I'm also including ps2 gui stuff I did, which includes modified 10th anniversary stuff and a crosshair I made from scratch. pager is just the ordinary one for now

M1SxqtR.pngMyo62RK.pngf5BCSWY.pngX5hjIq2.png

edit 3 edit in space: updated again because pager font can't be 32 bit

Edited by Mr. Jago
  • Like 3

Now THAT's awesome. :D

The pager font ain't working. It has to be DXT Compressed, not 32 bit.

darn

edit: updated again

Edited by Mr. Jago

Craig Kostelecky

MM just redid the pager to work with the widescreen fix (which will be supported natively in our next release).

pager_widescreen.png

Nice!

Will the next release will feature 10YA Weapon Icons though? The recolored ones from VC looks bad tbh.

Craig Kostelecky

I believe I added the 10th anniversary weapon icons to my game many moons ago. Does that python icon look right in the image I just posted?

Craig Kostelecky

He sure is! I posted this to hint at his return.

Things are moving towards the development of GTA: Liberty City Final v1.0 (I'm open to ideas for another name, but I do want to drop the Beta). No promises on when we can make all of this happen, but things are looking bright again.

• Like 3

I believe I added the 10th anniversary weapon icons to my game many moons ago. Does that python icon look right in the image I just posted?

Well it covers the ammo count :p

• Like 1

Craig Kostelecky

It doesn't cover it in mine. So maybe MM doesn't have that update from me yet.

By the way, I am toying with moving the coordinates in debug mode to the bottom. It's shown in the picture I just linked. Everyone like that better?

• Like 3

It doesn't cover it in mine. So maybe MM doesn't have that update from me yet.

By the way, I am toying with moving the coordinates in debug mode to the bottom. It's shown in the picture I just linked. Everyone like that better?

perfect :^:

Edited by Mr. Jago

I was watching an old video of the mod and I just noticed... the cars have reflections! I downloaded beta2 v7test5 and checked and it seems that the cars actually have reflections while in 3.3 they're completely flat. was there something wrong with the models that required converting them again?

Craig Kostelecky

The cars have been virtually untouched since the first beta. Nobody converted them.

oops, I screwed up and mistook my converted txds for txds from the mod. I'll have to fix those then... :whistle:

I guess it's a good thing since magic txd builder's out, I'll start toying with dxt5 and mipmaps and all that and see if I can redo my pack

JoqBO7X.png

so I restyled the LCS faggio a bit. the reflection is now the gta 3 one and even though it's a bit hard to see it has the gradient too! the wheels are a bit buggy right now but I made them simpler, they're now done the same way as the sports car wheel (just a tube with the rims being a textured set of planes) because I didn't think having them fully modeled fit. thoughts? I feel like there's more I could too but I'm not sure what

also I'm updating my pack again soon, will have an actual readme this time :p

edit: it's using the banshee colors too

Edited by Mr. Jago

I was watching an old video of the mod and I just noticed... the cars have reflections! I downloaded beta2 v7test5 and checked and it seems that the cars actually have reflections while in 3.3 they're completely flat. was there something wrong with the models that required converting them again?

I assume the IIItoVC module in beta2 v7test5 had global reflection code in it. That code basically assigned the global reflection texture to any vehicle clump atomic's material with specular surface properties greater than zero (same as in GTAIII). That code will come back into play in the new version.

Edited by ModelingMan

abstract_sig.png

Craig Kostelecky

beta2 v7test5

In retrospect, I do believe that is the worst name for a release ever.

Edited by Craig Kostelecky
  • Like 2

I vote to call the next version final1 v1test1.