3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

[PS2] Freezing

EmSixTeen

2 Days ago I decided to have an uber-go at Vigilante missions.. And I did,. I got to 4985 kills.. And then

BAM!

Or lack of. The motherf*cking game froze! I quite literally threw my controller at the PS2 very hard, and kicked the table, just as hard.. Before the Vigilante, I had went on a rampage spree, too... All in all, it had been 6 hours of pure killing. My Criminal Rating prior to that day was 8,000~, and the last time I checked before it f*cking up it was at 245,000 - Well on my way, eh? I was sincerely pissed off. So much.

Then, I turned my PS2 back on to play Vice. The textures weren't loading, only the like.. underlying ones. And then, when I went to enter a new area, the game game up with a box saying 'Loading..'. My Vice was f*cked. Once again, I turned it on. I paused the game - nothing. Half an hour later the screen came up. But it hadn't frozen. My Vice, really, is, f*cked.

I played around with PS2 configuration, setting disc read speed to high, but to no benefits.

Tonight, after letting my PS2 well, 'cool down', I played it again. Oh yay! All seems well! Oh wait.. Froze. again. Want to know what my number of kills is? 2951. I think it was 280~ level. I am very, VERY pissed off.

Is there anything I can to do let it unfreeze itself? and also, anything I can do to get Vice working properly again? The disc only seems to have a slight, eeny blemish on it.. I wouldn't really think of it as anything, as I keep my games good.

Please help confused.gif

Sounded like heat at first. Is your disc scratched? I'm sure throwing things at it and kicking it wouldn't have helped. I'm not judging because I would've done the same smile.gif

Edited by Demarest

Sounded like heat at first. Is your disc scratched? I'm sure throwing things at it and kicking it wouldn't have helped. I'm not judging because I would've done the same smile.gif

I always get problems with my damn discs, rather than taking a fit and wiping the floor with the lot, I try to be very patient, I unplug every wire connected to the ps2, give everything a nice polish, including the disc, and start it all over again nice n' fresh. smile.gif

Why bother? My discs (and computer) are protected against such threats with the advent of the N word.

Ok, I took my disc out, and it seems to have a trail around 1/4 of it.. As though the disc has been rubbed with wax or something (From memory here tounge.gif). but, I think the PS2 is causing this, and the lens reader or w/e is buggered. I can't take it apart to check, as it voids the warranty confused.gif

Ok, I took my disc out, and it seems to have a trail around 1/4 of it.. As though the disc has been rubbed with wax or something (From memory here tounge.gif). but, I think the PS2 is causing this, and the lens reader or w/e is buggered. I can't take it apart to check, as it voids the warranty confused.gif

I had the same problem with my PS1 believe it or not, I think my brother managed to get it fixed for a few days or so, but it just buggered up again, and eventually things started falling off, and well....yeah, thats why I got a PS2 infact! colgate.gif I'm not sure if scratched discs can be replaced, can they? I've tried cleaning and polishing etc. but it only makes a small difference, not a huge one. sad.gif

The PSX always had a bad issue of the little black retension clips on the spindle snapping off. This would cause some games to spin just enough off track that made them skip, freeze, etc. I've owned half a dozen and even the latest releases of the PS1 seem to have that issue unaddressed. I've heard XBox is more durable and GTA is coming out for that soon enough. Or just go PC and enjoy the better audio, mods, etc.

GTA3Freak-2001

It sounds like the trail you talk about is causing the problem, You could try getting the disc resurfaced at a local video store or something, well that's where get my disc resurfaced not sure about where you are but its called Disc Resurfacing

Or maybe, just maybe he broke his PS2? Nah, I doubt it. I'm shure chucking the controller at it had nothing to do with the problem. The only problem is the slight scratch on his CD. sarcasm.gif

Bah, I'm a violent person too. I destroyed the right analogue stick on one of my controllers and one time I hit my PS2 so hard the audio stopped playing. I just shut it off and it worked later.

But seriously dude, get it checked out at a repair shop. It's more than likely that somthing got knocked loose or broken.

Or maybe, just maybe he broke his PS2? Nah, I doubt it. I'm shure chucking the controller at it had nothing to do with the problem. The only problem is the slight scratch on his CD.  sarcasm.gif

No need to be sarcastic about it. It f*cked up before I threw it, and to be honest, I don't care if I brake the controller as they're easily fixed.

I guess taking it to a rip-off repair shop is what I need to do. However, I have hatched an evil plan wink.gif:

Rent Vice

Swap my Vice with the rented one

If Vice still messes up, rent a PS2

Swap my PS2 with the rented one

tounge.gif

That's just wrong. I used to buy PSX games from renatl places. When I got them home, I tried taking their stickers off of the disc. It took the disc's layer right off too! Depending on how much it tears off, this could make the disc unreadable. Not to mention they're going to notice one way or another. If it's just your disc that's defective and not the console, why don't you instead contact R* and try going about it the honorable way?