4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

TNT 2

DrunkenMaster

DrunkenMaster

I want to get vice city for PC but i dont think my TNT 2 will be good enough to run it. Am i right? I cant get a new graphics card without a new motherboard so i dont really wanna get one.

I upgraded from a TNT 2 to a GeForce 4 4200, it works fine.

Aslong as you have an AGP slot, which you do, it would work fine.

If the TNT2 is 32megs, like my old TNT2 M64, you should be ok. But you'll be a lot happier with stepping up to even a GF4 MX440 (what I have now and I'm happier) or better

I was not happy with the performance of GTA3 until I went to 128 MB vidcard. That's not to say it can't work, but it's no longer a game if you don't enjoy it smile.gif Just keep in mind that your mobo must support AGP 4X (1.5V) in order to be able to use any GF4 TI series card. PCI shouldn't even be mentioned here rolleyes.gif

GTA3Freak-2001
I upgraded from a TNT 2 to a GeForce 4 4200, it works fine.

Aslong as you have an AGP slot, which you do, it would work fine.

Dude he said he can't get a new card without getting a new motherboard which tells me he has the PCI version and no AGP slots. In that case there aren't really many options if you want to upgrade but tell us the rest of your specs and then we can better judge if the game would be playable or not.

There are GeForce4 MX440's using PCI not AGP

http://us-depot.com/bfggf4mx4406.html - $44.00US

http://www.microtechcomputers.com/product....FG4MX440PCI64MB - $46.00US

http://www.computer123.com/searchcx.asp?di...R%3AVIDEO%3APCI there is a GF4MX440 for $50.00US and an ATI Radeon 7000 for $49.00US both PCI

That is just 3 that I picked out....hit pricewatch.com for more

...PCI shouldn't even be mentioned here rolleyes.gif

I didn't say that AGP was an option or that PCI vidcards didn't exist. I said it shouldn't be mentioned. Why? Install a PCI vidcard and try to play GTA. I think your shattered keyboard will be testament enough as to how "fun" that would be. rampage_ani.gif

DrunkenMaster

I have got AGP but my mobo is old (AGP slot type 1.0) The new cards only fit AGP slot 2.0. I bought a Radeon 9600 but had to take it back as it didnt fit my AGP slot. My other Specs are

1Ghz

320mb RAM

32mb TNT2

52x Drive

Thanks

Ah ok, yes if you want to get the latest and greatest cards using AGP, then yes you will have to get a new mobo with a AGP 2 slot.

But if you just want to get a newer card and not have to get a new mobo just yet, then there are plent of options of cards to get.

But my point still remains, GTAVC will run just fine...lagging in some spots for a second or two, but fine just the same...with your TNT2 32megs.

FRAPS said I was getting an average of about 15-20fps and I was running a TNT2 M64 32meg and a 900mhz AMD with 512m RAM. I forget what I jumped to after getting the GF4 MX440 but I believe it's around 30-40fps.

Install a PCI vidcard and try to play GTA. I think your shattered keyboard will be testament enough as to how "fun" that would be. rampage_ani.gif

vice runs nicely at 800x600x32 on my pci gf4mx440, gta3 doesn't seem to like being ran in 32bit colour mode, 1024x768x16 looks nice enough for me though.

oh yeah, go for a radeon 9000 over a gf4mx if you absolutely have to buy a pci card

GTA3Freak-2001
I have got AGP but my mobo is old (AGP slot type 1.0) The new cards only fit AGP slot 2.0. I bought a Radeon 9600 but had to take it back as it didnt fit my AGP slot. My other Specs are

1Ghz

320mb RAM

32mb TNT2

52x Drive

Thanks

Ah yes it should run acceptably seeing as you have a pretty good amount of ram and decent processor speed. Try it and see?

Install a PCI vidcard and try to play GTA. I think your shattered keyboard will be testament enough as to how "fun" that would be. rampage_ani.gif

vice runs nicely at 800x600x32 on my pci gf4mx440, gta3 doesn't seem to like being ran in 32bit colour mode, 1024x768x16 looks nice enough for me though.

oh yeah, go for a radeon 9000 over a gf4mx if you absolutely have to buy a pci card

Revised line:

Play GTA on a machine with an AGP card. Then install a PCI vidcard and try to play GTA. I think your shattered keyboard will be testament enough as to how "fun" that would be. rampage_ani.gif

I was using a GF2 MX400 64MB for awhile and was completely satisfied. Then I upgraded to a GF4 TI4600 128MB and found out that I was missing a LOT. Because I had a weaker GPU with less memory, my game was focusing more on drawing the game and less on my mouse input. After the upgrade, my control over cars and such increased dramatically.

There's more to consider too. AGP was a natural part of computer evolution. There's a reason for this. Not to mention that many mobos with no AGP slot are older. Therefore, the older chipset alone would ALSO slow down the game. I once switched my dad's comp from an AGP Trident 4MB vidcard to a 32MB PCI card and he asked me to switch them back. He said just moving his mouse around was conspicuously slower. He only uses his machine for internet and email.

Just go AGP and worry not about any issues. Mobos with AGP slots are about the same price as ones without and lower end AGP cards are similar in price enough to make it worth it. Right now you could get a 1.7 GHz P4Celeron, mobo and 128MB vidcard for about $250. Beat that with any comparable PCI vidcard package. cool.gif