4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

can't change resolution

flamebroiledchicken

flamebroiledchicken

I used the search feature, and I found some topic similar to this, but not the same, so they didn't really help.

The game won't let me change my resolution. The option is ghosted and stuck at 640x480x16. The game itself runs fine, no problems there. The resolution was not a problem before, but I just got a brand new 19-inch LCD Dell monitor, and the graphics look kinda choppy. I just want a better picture quality. Why can't I change the game resolution? I can change my screen resolution all the way up to 1280x1024, but the game is stuck at 640x480. Anyone know the reason?

If it helps, my specs are:

Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card

AMD Athlon 1.05 GHz

Some MSI moBo

512 MB RAM

40 GB hard drive

Make sure you're chaning it before you load or start a new game. So once you start up the exe, head to Options first thing. If you're already in the middle of a game, you can't change it.

I used the search feature, and I found some topic similar to this, but not the same, so they didn't really help.

The game won't let me change my resolution. The option is ghosted and stuck at 640x480x16. The game itself runs fine, no problems there. The resolution was not a problem before, but I just got a brand new 19-inch LCD Dell monitor, and the graphics look kinda choppy. I just want a better picture quality. Why can't I change the game resolution? I can change my screen resolution all the way up to 1280x1024, but the game is stuck at 640x480. Anyone know the reason?

AMD Athlon 1.05 GHz

Some MSI moBo

512 MB RAM

40 GB hard drive

i had this problem, first time i got the game fired up. first, you can't use the low res games you save in high res (at least not 16 v 32 bit) i lost my packages i had found, yet they were no longer in their spots in game either!! 2nd you scroll through the res's till you find the one you want. then click on it (or hit return to 'save it', if you just scroll to it and leave menu, it won't save. if it says it won't let you change (can't remember the message, had that too at first), you need to download your g card drivers and install again. or your g card doesn't support the higher res.

*edit* I wish i could remember, but something about what i posted doesn't seem right?? i had the exact problem you had though...i fixed it easy..just can't remember (32 bit is way better though, im running the 1268 x whatever at 32)...

Edited by Cartoon Corpse
or your g card doesn't support the higher res.

Well with a Radeon 9800 PRo, I doubt that would be that problem.

yeah i agree (i have a 9700 pro)...they said my drivers weren't recognized, so i updated them. (but i still had the problem with actually changing the res (options) and getting it to 'stick'. you scroll to it and click on it (or hit return?) something like that. it wasn't good enough to just scroll till it showed up on the option line. anyway, it worked fine after those two things.

What's the best res setting, mine is 640*480*16?

that depends on your pc...

1600x1200x32 would obviously be the best res, you'd need a beast of a pc to get smoothe framerates with that though.

anything over 800x600x32 is nice.

(stay away from 16bit colour, it looks pants.)

Jeez you must be missing a lot with that resolution, the game must look awful. I honestly use 1024x768x32 and I have a GeForce 4 MX440 64MB which isn't the best video card.

Jeez you must be missing a lot with that resolution, the game must look awful. I honestly use 1024x768x32 and I have a GeForce 4 MX440 64MB which isn't the best video card.

Yes, I was one of the idiots who tried to change the resolutation in game rather than doing it before starting a new game. suicidal.gif

lol, anyway, I use the lowest resolution for playing the game, and very very highest for taking screenshots. Personally, I don't see much of a difference using the lowest resolution, I have never really notcied any changes in the graphics, except the screenshots aren't all that great! wink.gif

personally i think i saw a big diff between the lowest 16 bit, and the 1263 x whatever x 32 i use now. but my pc has the 'horses' to do both seamlessly.

AMD Athlon 1.05 GHz

Some MSI moBo

512 MB RAM

40 GB hard drive

I have an LCD. LCD refresh rates aren't as good as CRTs. Not in terms of Hz rating, but rather the crystals rising and falling. I watch movies and play games on mine and I must be totally used to it because it doesn't bother me. But when I go to watch/play the same thing on a CRT (or see a friend doing so) it is noticably smoother. IMO it's worth the amount of color and clarity you gain in an LCD. I would still choose LCDs if they were TWICE the size of CRTs.

@GTA3freak_2001, Yea the game does look bad. I tried to change it before I started a saved game, and when I did cars went flying through the air, I'm not kidding kind of funny. Do I have to start a new game to change the res. The video card I have is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT model 64 pro, is that a good card? The pc is a HP w/ a intel pent.4 1.6 ghz, 512 ram, 80 gig hd. I know the specs are good but the game really lags. I have 22 cars installed if that helps.

lol i just remembered why i couldn't change res at first! i was killing my ati process (only systray and explorer running). when i kept lwemon (logitech pad) and atisomething, i could change, then had to learn about the click on it (or return) to make my res selection become permanent.

• 4 weeks later...