1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
London Calling

Enhacement Mods...

Question

London Calling

I'm having a terrible time playing VC at 20 fps.

I'm just wondering if there are any FPS enhancing mods like there were in GTA3? (Like sheepyUK's mod where it would remove leaves and paper)

(Note: I did do a search in this forum but came up with an error message, sorry if this has been asked before)

26 answers to this question

Samutz

I had wondered about this myself, but I haven't found any.

So I started modding the game myself to increase fps. Like removing trees (all but ones with solid trunks) using moomapper. And getting rid of extra effects in the particle files like uneeded smoke and car crash debri(sp?). You can also get rid of some peds by editting the ped files in the data folder.

But one thing that I haven't been able to figure out is how to get rid of the papers and leaves that fly around. I read somewhere that you have to set their alphas to solid black, but that doesn't solve the problem because their models are still there. They're just invisible and they're still slowing down the game. And I can't find the model name(s) that they use so I can delete the model.

GTA3Freak-2001

Well the best thing to do is to upgrade your PC but I know for alot of people its out of the question due to money. I spose the reason why no mods have been made to help fps because not many people are having problems as Vice was much more optimized for different PC's, sorry.

tman

yeah, get something like a geforce4mx/radeon 9000

should run vice city happily at 800x600 & under...

can't offer any advice bar that sad.gif

London Calling
yeah, get something like a geforce4mx/radeon 9000

should run vice city happily at 800x600 & under...

can't offer any advice bar that sad.gif

Thanks, but my video card pwns that one.

FX 5900 256mb biggrin.gif

Just I don't have a lot of RAM and processor to help it out sad.gif

Samutz

Someone PMed me to ask for my mod that gets rid of some trees, so I've uploaded it here if anyone else wants it:

[Edit: I found several bugs with it, so I'm going to redo it and rerelease it as a completed version later]

Not all of the trees are gone tho. So far, I've only got rid of some around the mansion, starfish island, the beach stretch, the airport, and the golf course. Like I said, I'm only getting rid of the ones that don't have solid parts.

If I ever get off my lazy rear end and finish getting rid of them all, I might upload a finished version for the mod showroom unless someone else does it first.

Edited by Samutz

tman
Thanks, but my video card pwns that one.

FX 5900 256mb biggrin.gif

Just I don't have a lot of RAM and processor to help it out sad.gif

i get the feeling you're talking crap.

i've heard of people running vc perfectly on sub 800mhz systems, seeing as you have nvidias flagship chipset, you should be getting sweet framerates with anything over 128mb ram & a 1ghz cpu

Demarest

256 MB depending on OS (2000 or above). I think you're both right. A good video card can certainly carry a lot of weight in gaming. But your CPU can still be bogged down by other progs running, a lot of things happening, etc. GTAs may be lightweight in comparison, but they still have times of being intense. The vidcard can only handle the info as fast as the rest of the system delivers it.

London Calling

That's funny, talking sh*t. Well, considering I'm running this game at 650 mhz and 256mb ram, I guess this video card is running like it should... for what I have.

Don't get me wrong, the game runs fine in small shootouts and just driving, but like for missions like the Biker Gang mission with the chaos-o-meter it gets hard to play with 5 police cars all trying to run you over, and two of them being on fire while doing it.

Edited by London Calling

Demarest

Hmm... "mine pwns that one" "talking sh*t"... a bit egotistical?

I'm just curious as to what fantasy mobo can seat both a 650 MHz AND a 4x/8x AGP card? Careful, I know computer hardware...

tman

I'm just curious as to what fantasy mobo can seat both a 650 MHz AND a 4x/8x AGP card? Careful, I know computer hardware...

biggrin.gif

heh, definitely an 8x card.

and i said "crap", not "sh*t"

Demarest

biggrin.gif

heh, definitely an 8x card.

and i said "crap", not "sh*t"

Everything said in my last post was to London Calling, so...

And NO video card is strictly 8x.

Edited by Demarest

tman

my 'crap' correction was aimed at london calling.

and i was just saying that the fx5900ultra is an 8x card, it might still work in a 2x or 4x slot, it'd be sh*te tho

Tom Benson

Well the best thing to do is to upgrade your PC but I know for alot of people its out of the question due to money. I spose the reason why no mods have been made to help fps because not many people are having problems as Vice was much more optimized for different PC's, sorry.

ya tell me about it i spent €1200 so far and get 60- 120 fps at 1280x1024x32 at 6xaa and 16xAF

2500+ @ 2307

Abit NF-7s

Sapphire 9800 pro 128 o/ced to 4300

Corsair Twinx 3200LL

Coller Master Aero 7+

Q-Tec 550w psu

Buy all this and youll get the fps your looking for tounge2.gif

London Calling

biggrin.gif

PCI card mate.

Well, I know my hardware myself dude. So I've been thinking the same thing your thinking. Especially since I compared the specs to what I found online for this card. So if anyone can please compare this text to what they have on their 5900 box please? Perhaps an idiot at Nvidia made a spelling error.

Nvidia Geforce FX 9000 Board Features

-256MB DDR Memory

-Integrated GPU heatsink/coolingfan

-Dual VGA + S-Video (TV Out) outputs

Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 Peformance Features

-256-bit graphics core

-256-bit DDR memory interface

-1.0 billion texels/sec. fill rate

-63 million verticies/sec. setup

-4 pixels per clock (peak)

-16 textures per pixel (maximum in a single rendering pass)

-Microsoft DirectX 9 (DX9) with vertex shader 2.0+ and pixel shader 2.0+

-Dual 350MHz RAMDACs

-Maximum Display Resolution 2048x1536x32 bpp at 75Hz

-Flat Panel display support with resolutions up to 1600x1200

High-Performance, High Precision 3D Rendering Engine

-4 pixels per clock rendering engine

-128 bit, studio quality floating point precision through entire graphics pipeland

-Support for 128 bit floating point, 64-bit floating point, and 32 bit integer rendering modes

-Up to 16 textures per pass

-Support for sRBG texture format for gamma textures

-Microsoft DirectX and S3TC texture compression

Edited by London Calling

Demarest
my 'crap' correction was aimed at london calling.

and i was just saying that the fx5900ultra is an 8x card, it might still work in a 2x or 4x slot, it'd be sh*te tho

It wouldn't run sh*te. First of all, 8Xs can't run on anything less than a 4X slot (no 2X). Secondly, I am VERY happy with my Radeon 9700 Pro that just happens to be plugged into a 4X slot. GTA isn't exactly the most demanding game. How much power do you really need? tounge.gif

@London Calling: You said 650 MHz and 256 MB and I thought you were talking about your system, not the vidcard specs. I knew that no mobo could run a 650 MHz CPU and an 8X vidcard, so I was calling your bluff. It was just a misunderstanding; I see that now. Not sure what you meant with PCI card, but it doesn't matter now. Sorry for any confusion that was my fault blush.gif

tman

fairy muff, my bad blush.gif

personally, i've never tried plugging an 8x, 4x, 2x or 1x card into anything other than equaly rated agp slots, my post was based on heresay

Demarest

Yeah. They're keyed differently so you can't do it. AGP used to run on 3.3V and now it's on 1.5V and lower. Mismatching voltage is bad, so they make it so you can't do it.

Fairy muff... that's pretty funny smile.gif

London Calling
@London Calling: You said 650 MHz and 256 MB and I thought you were talking about your system, not the vidcard specs. I knew that no mobo could run a 650 MHz CPU and an 8X vidcard, so I was calling your bluff. It was just a misunderstanding; I see that now. Not sure what you meant with PCI card, but it doesn't matter now. Sorry for any confusion that was my fault blush.gif

Alright, let me see if I can clear things up.

When you said 650mhz mobo and 256mb ram, you are correct. This is what this powerful card is running on at the moment, and I do agree that this thing can't run on my mobo like you said. So I decided to but down the specs of the card to see if anyone compare their FX 5900 specs to what I have to see if there's any sort of misinformation on it. Because I found misinformation at tech sites concerning this card (They're hardware specs for this card were different that what I had on the box)

BTW, PCI card, means PCI bus. There are two kinds of buses that are used in computers now-a-days, the PCI card bus, and the AGP card bus.

Now can someone compare their tangible box specifications to what I listed above? Thx

tman

a pci 5900 ultra?

now thats crossed over the border of unlikeliness into the land of bull crap.

the best pci geforce card out at the moment is a 5200 128mb

London Calling

Yeah... now you know what I'm talking about dozingoff.gif

Demarest
When you said 650mhz mobo and 256mb ram, you are correct. This is what this powerful card is running on at the moment, and I do agree that this thing can't run on my mobo like you said. So I decided to but down the specs of the card to see if anyone compare their FX 5900 specs to what I have to see if there's any sort of misinformation on it. Because I found misinformation at tech sites concerning this card (They're hardware specs for this card were different that what I had on the box)

BTW, PCI card, means PCI bus. There are two kinds of buses that are used in computers now-a-days, the PCI card bus, and the AGP card bus.

Now can someone compare their tangible box specifications to what I listed above? Thx

Mobo is an abbreviation of the word motherboard. Motherboards have AGP slots that video cards plug INTO. So every time I said mobo, I was talking about motherboards not being to seat 650 MHz CPUs AND and 8x card. I wasn't referring to the graphics card itself. You shouldn't say you know a bit about computer hardware if you don't.

I know what PCI means. I didn't know what you meant by answering my questions with simply "PCI card". Maybe that's because I would never consider a conversation about an FX to have ANYTHING to do with a PCI card. A pretty good assumption considering it's laughable in the first place. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but any PCI video card above 8-16MB is selling you a lie. The PCI bus can't handle the bandwidth games need, which is why AGP was designed in the first place. This would explain ANY problems you might be having because even games as light-weight as GTA3 or VC can't be run well on a PCI video card.

For the record, PCs also use an ISA bus. Your mobo may not have ISA slots, but if it has PS2 ports or a floppy drive controller, it's there. Last time I checked, Legacy-less boards aren't commercialized yet.

trust-no1

its actually very simple to raise fps , just have Frame Limiter OFF, use to get 31fps now get around 95+fps with it OFF. I have no reason why the frame limiter is set to ON by default or why there is 1, its just stupid...

Stretchnutter

the frame limiter is designed to keep the game running smoothly without random slowdowns or speedups...

as for getting better FPS... try the 'Draw Distance Mod' here:

http://www.vicecitymods.de/cgi-bin/topdl/d....pl?file=vcdist

or here:

http://www.gta3mods.de/gtavc_tools.php

that tool will allow you to set the draw distance even lower than the slider in the options allows for.... like say 2 feet in front of u tounge.gif

u should definately see a framerate jump then!

Demarest

But at what cost?

Samutz

At the cost of not seeing that small cliff you're about to... n/m, you just drowned.

Richard31ky

you can download 3danalayze that would help

get a few extra fps if you have a

decent size processor that is.

simply load your games .exe

in 3d analayze set it to emulate TnL,

Dx8, pixel shader, and cubemap and bumpmap

works on gtaIII and gtaVC

3d analayze download here