• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Atomic

• Wolf68k

• MiNdLeSs

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. Post all your random computer annoyances here that aren't important enough to post a whole new topic about, or get questions answered that you know have been answered many times.

----------------------

Anyways, to kick it off:

I just got object dock, because it is the sh*t. It freezes on me when I drag shortcuts to it so I have to right click on the dock and make a new one, then give it a target and icon image manually. The only thing is, it won't let me put folders in there (like my documents, my music, ect…), only programs (like mozilla, trillian, mirc, ect...). Is there any trick I can pull to fool it, or do I have to go back to the not quite as leet MS toolbar?

btw: All of my object dock icons are leet as f*ck. biggrin.gif

Edited by lesfleanut

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a question of my own dealing with the un-so-leet MS Toolbar. I've changed the majority of my icons, except for MSN Messenger and all of the Office Icons. I can't change them because where it normally says 'Change icon,' it's grayed out. And I also want to know how to change what my trash can looks like on the desktop, seeing as I have this sweet one for it, but I don't know where the option is.

To change the ones whose icon change thing is greyed out you have to play a little trickery. Right click the program that you want to have in the toolbar and make a shortcut, then change the icon for the shortcut. Seems simple enough right? It took me a half hour one day trying to do the same thing you are when that idea poped into my head.

As for the recycle bin... Why not just get rid of it? Thing is useless anyways unless you need to empty it.

Start>run>type 'gpedit.msc'> In there go to administrative templates/desktop/and enable 'remove recycle bin icon from desk'

Edited by lesfleanut

Well, this pisses me off. I've got a PC in VMware with a virtual 3GB drive. The drive, however, only shows up as 2GB under My Computer (win98SE). I've checked in fdisk and it says the partition is 3GB. Originally, the drive was 2GB, but I made a new one and used driveimage to copy it over. My assumption is that the old size stuck. Any suggestions? Tried scandisk, didn't work. Tomorrow I'll probably just make an image of the drive and see if I can get it to work.

This is a good idea for a topic.

Edwards grabs a thumbtack

PINNED!

Edited by Edwards

sysnode.org

I took your advice and deleted the trash can off of my desktop. However, with the shortcuts, even those are grayed out. I have no idea why, but the 'Find target' is also grayed out. Maybe I should take it out back and shoot it?

Edwards: Probably need to delpar and start over.

SF: Hmm.. Worked for me, well maybe other people have an idea. The reason they are greyed out is likely because the icon is in the actuall exe file, now there's a way to change it, but I can't remember how.

All other icons change successfully by the way you stated, it's just these Office icons and MSN Messenger which are both grayed out in the 'Change icon' box and the 'Find Target' box. I think I've heard of a program that might help me fix it, it's called Icon Packager, but it's only the trial version.

I just got object dock, because it is the sh*t. It freezes on me when I drag shortcuts to it so I have to right click on the dock and make a new one, then give it a target and icon image manually. The only thing is, it won't let me put folders in there (like my documents, my music, ect…), only programs (like mozilla, trillian, mirc, ect...). Is there any trick I can pull to fool it, or do I have to go back to the not quite as leet MS toolbar?

btw: All of my object dock icons are leet as f*ck. biggrin.gif

I don't know if this will make sense because I'm kind of drunk right now, but try this. Make a shortcut to one of the folders you want, in say a folder called 'Object Dock'. Once you created the shortcut rename it to [foldername].lnk (that's an L not an I btw). Then in Object Dock make a shortcut to the .lnk shortcut.

*shrug* I'm drunk so I'm not guaranteeing (wtf how do you spell that!) anything. Lemme know if it works though smile.gif

yea, I figured that out a while ago, but it only half ass works. One time I will click the my music icon in my dock and it will open my music, and then I try it again and nothing. It works like 35% of the time. confused.gif

Ive thought about making a topic like this so many times its almost funny....

Anyway, how do you make it so that when you create a folder it, by default, has Auto Arrange OFF, Align to Grid ON And Sort By Name the default method of sorting? Having to set it that way every time I make a folder is annoying as sh*t.

Alright, here's my problems. Sometimes when I open a folder, the Staus Bar and/or the Address bar don't show. I checked in folder options, nothing there for me. Any ideas?

Also, where could I find a good start-up Boot Manager for Windows and linux. And, where can I get a version of knoppix, they appear to have been shut-down cryani.gif .

GRUB is a good bootup manager, pretty much every linux distro uses it.

Knoppix has not been shut down. Just pay attention, and visit the KNOPPIX site.

sysnode.org

I got one. What's a solution for noise reduction, with out limiting any power to my fans. They're really loud, but I don't want to sacrafice any cooling. I saw some little matts that they put inside, but I'm rather sceptical of those.

I'd like to know, because I'm about to purchase a third Vantec Tornado, and that will be really loud.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

If it is at all possible, buy new fans, like Vantec Stealths. And buy a bigger fan that will spin slower, but move the same amount of air. If you have a 60 mm fan moving 15 cpm and a 92 mm fan moving the same amount, obviously the 92 mm is going to be a lot quieter.

I'd stay away from the Vantec Tornadoes, seeing as they run loudly.

About the mats, if you put them against the walls and stuff, heat no longer gets absorbed by the walls, as it probably did before. It'll now get hotter in the case because you have all of this heat just sitting inside of your case.

I have here a program, running in a DOS window, which has crashed and died. The DOS window will not close. I think the program itself (emule server) has quit, but the dos window just won't close. Trying to end task from the task manager does nothing, apparently because it can't find a corresponding process. Any solutions? I could probably reboot, but my uptime is already past one week, and I don't want to lose it. This PC is running win2000 and it's been a long time since I last formatted and reinstalled, so one week uptimes are rare.

sysnode.org

Folder settings made in the root folder will translate to all folders within the root.

That doesnt work for new folders.

I have here a program, running in a DOS window, which has crashed and died. The DOS window will not close. I think the program itself (emule server) has quit, but the dos window just won't close. Trying to end task from the task manager does nothing, apparently because it can't find a corresponding process. Any solutions? I could probably reboot, but my uptime is already past one week, and I don't want to lose it. This PC is running win2000 and it's been a long time since I last formatted and reinstalled, so one week uptimes are rare.

Quit bein a wuss and reboot tounge2.gif

Sajacious, smile.gif

yea, I figured that out a while ago, but it only half ass works. One time I will click the my music icon in my dock and it will open my music, and then I try it again and nothing. It works like 35% of the time. confused.gif

I figured it out. Create a shortcut (like you normally would) then put the following:

Link: explorer.exe

Arguments: /n,C:\Documents and Settings\[your username for your puter here]\My Documents\

Stupid f*cking Microsoft. angry.gif

Will someone please supply me with a direct link to whatever the f*ck it is I need to get Outlook Express?

Microsoft's site is impossible to f*cking navigate.

I f*cking hate them.

I'd wish they die.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Stupid f*cking Microsoft. angry.gif

Will someone please supply me with a direct link to whatever the f*ck it is I need to get Outlook Express?

Microsoft's site is impossible to f*cking navigate.

I f*cking hate them.

I'd wish they die.

Uhu....outlook express is part of Internet Explorer which you can get the latest version of here.

Why do people hate the FX 5800??

Its fast aint it??

Let's reword this:

It aint fast tounge2.gif

Actually, there's SOME things it's fast at, and actually beats the FX5900 ultra... but overall it's nothing more than a dust buster. Dude, even nVidia made fun of it!

Its fast aint it??

Its about as fast as a Radeon 9800 (non-pro) but does the term leaf-blower mean anything to you?

Its fast aint it??

Its about as fast as a Radeon 9800 (non-pro) but does the term leaf-blower mean anything to you?

Louder than a hair dryer?

I haven't really heard anything about the 5800, I guess it's the forgotten card. (Hopefully the FX series will be forgotten)

Its fast aint it??

Let's reword this:

It aint fast tounge2.gif

Actually, there's SOME things it's fast at, and actually beats the FX5900 ultra... but overall it's nothing more than a dust buster. Dude, even nVidia made fun of it!

OH MAN! where is that video? I need to watch that sh*t again. biggrin.gif

I remember that video, that was great. Hey les, see if you can find it and host it through 3x.

im using windows XP Home on this PC. i want to get rid of the login screen. I am the only user, and i dont have a password. when i turn my PC on it stops @ the login screen and makes me click on my icon before my PC lets me in. how do i disable the stupid thing?

im using windows XP Home on this PC. i want to get rid of the login screen. I am the only user, and i dont have a password. when i turn my PC on it stops @ the login screen and makes me click on my icon before my PC lets me in. how do i disable the stupid thing?

Get TweakUI for XP. Open it and go into autologon under logon. Check the box for Log on automatically at system startup, and fill in the appropriate information.

Haven't tried it myself, as I've got 2 users, and I use the Novell Client to login (similar to the classic, non-welcome screen login, only it works with my school's network).

sysnode.org