3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Cannot play saved games

drewborn

I had read some posts that have given bits and pieces to the problem I have had, but cannot figure out what to do. The game runs great until I try to load up a saved game. Gives me the same "Unhandled Exception: blah blah At Address". In addition to this, I have saved several games and only the first one ever shows up. I have deleted the GTA_vc. set file, and set my sound option to things other than EAX, unloaded, regcleaned, and reinstalled but nothing seems to work. This seems like a great game, but I dont want to try to play it through in one sitting. Maybe I am going about this in the wrong way. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks

PC specs:

-Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.53GHz,

2.54GHz

-80.1GB, WDC WD800JB-00CRA1

-512MB DDR (Samsung)

-Radeon 9700 Series (128MB)

-Creative SB Audigy

-Microsoft Windows XP Professional

-DX 9

I have saved several games, erased them, uninstalled and reinstalled the game. A couple of people have had this problem and I was wondering if there was any fix for this.

Sounds as if maybe something is messed up with the game.exe that causes it to generate corrupt save files. Did you buy the game? (hope so) If so, I would try to exchange it. If it's outside of the exchange period, contact R* and let them know and see if they will replace it for you. They should.

Took the game back to the store I purchased it from, uninstalled old copy, reg clean, defrag and then loaded up the new game. The game still plays well, but everything crashes when I try to load a saved game.

My guess then would be virus. Or hard drive failing, but that would affect the installation and running processes as well. Only viruses will attack any new file created while it's in control.

I'm suprised this hasn't been brought up. When did they stop working? Have you used any mods? e.g. Mods that change the main.scm file? A different main.scm file is likely to cause an exception.

A new main.scm would make old savegames unloadable. It would not make new files corrupt as the main.scm has nothing to do with saving except for to prompt the screen.

However, that's a good idea. If he used any mod/hack that altered the game.exe, THAT could cause such a thing.

Have not used any mods or cheats. Ran Norton AntiV 2003 with all the updates and found it clean. My cpu is relatively new and was put together by a pretty good manufacurer so I don't believe that is the problem either. I sent all of this to the Tech support and they refered me to their common problems page. I replied to them that I had already done that and am waiting for their next suggestion.

I have been starting a new game everytime I have played it which is not too bad, it just seems like I am playing a $50 demo though. The game seems much too large to play through in one sitting.

Have not used any mods or cheats. Ran Norton AntiV 2003 with all the updates and found it clean. My cpu is relatively new and was put together by a pretty good manufacurer so I don't believe that is the problem either...

Some viruses are made to fool/hide from AV software if they get there before the cure. Also, any computer manufacturer can get bad parts. Or good parts can become bad parts in a split second. I don't think your hardware is the issue, but the logic I'm quoting is very nonsensical.

support said i had a virus when i installed (wouldn't work) i downloaded Avast (free virus checker) from download.com. ran a thorough check (with archive check enabled) took over a day 38G (over 300,000 files) to run. found 12 unscannable files, erased them, reinstalled, ran fine....well FYI

Edited by Cartoon Corpse