1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Copy radio stations to hard disk

Phlamethrower1.1

Phlamethrower1.1

Here's the situation:

My computer's CD drive is loud, and when playing VC/GTA3 it's usually running full speed to read the radio off the CD (despite the fact it only spends about a tenth of the time actually reading).

So I decided to try the option in VC to copy the radio stations to my hard disk, so that they'd be read from there and save me from getting deafened.

But the problem is that the game is still reading them from the CD :(

Has anyone else tried the option and can shed some light on this? Or does anyone know of any (free) proggies to cache the CD or something?

Cheers!

I have the same problem...maybe it's to do with where u have the game installed?  mine is not installed on the 'primary partition' which the tech support says is required to make the game work at all - if that isn't the most ridiculous requirement i've ever heard, then...

anyway, my game works fine apart from the constant CD access problem - there are ways around that though :p...search for other posts related to this topic.

I have loads and loads of disk space so I copy the radio files to my disk and there's no hiccup ever during gameplay... it could be in your partition tables or the registry that makes it read from the cd everyone once in a while...  :/

• 2 weeks later...
Phlamethrower1.1
I have the same problem...maybe it's to do with where u have the game installed?  mine is not installed on the 'primary partition' which the tech support says is required to make the game work at all - if that isn't the most ridiculous requirement i've ever heard, then...

Damnit, I thought it might have been some of R*'s dodgy programming - my copy of VC is installed on my second hard disk (1st one got full up so I took the cheap route of plugging an old on back in again and using that). Guess I'll have to do another forum search or something.

Thanks anyway guys!

Damnit, I thought it might have been some of R*'s dodgy programming - my copy of VC is installed on my second hard disk (1st one got full up so I took the cheap route of plugging an old on back in again and using that). Guess I'll have to do another forum search or something.

Thanks anyway guys!

Yeah I say some of the programming I mean there's tons of glitches and mistakes and stuff soo I wouldn't doubt it.

GTA3Freak-2001

I thought you could choose when installing if you wanted the radio stations installed on your Hard Drive? Well I had that option.

yes u can choose that option, and i did choose it, but the stupid program seems to keep reading them from the CD anyway. i did find a work around, after installing a, er, patch wink.gif, the game stopped accessing the CD (at all biggrin.gif).

which was nice, so it seems to be some bone-head copy protection scheme that checks to see if the CD is there constantly.

i actually monitored the program's file access, and on start-up it does this mass-search for the Audio directory and its contents (ie it looks in C:\Audio, D:\Audio, E:\Audio, etc) and it stops when it finds the CD drive - doesn't matter if it finds the audio files in eg C:\Audio, it keeps looking anyway. interestingly, it didn't seem to be accessing the CD (at least at an OS level) when swapping music tracks in-game, but the CD drive was obviously being accessed, so i don't really know what's going on.

GTA3Freak-2001

Yeah I know it does a CD check to confirm a legit copy of the game but I get what you mean about why you wanted the game not to read from your noisy CD-ROM.

yeah u can 'patch' it (think laterally). btw, i am merely pointing out this possibility, while not condoning/endorsing this course of action in any legally actionable manner tounge.gif.

it is stupid though, people shouldn't have to resort to this to make a store-bought game run properly. the exact same problem existed in gta3 and had to be fixed in a patch - as has been commented on many times before, why are many of the bugs that existed in gta3's initial PC release also present in its sequel?

funny.I 'patched' it and 'it' didnt work.Before ,i could run the game but now,after i 'patched' it,it runs.too bad.

In other words...the 'patch' doesnt work.

Edited by Phreak2k

lol, i don't think he means the 1.1 patch. i had that problem too, ie patch not working. i think i deleted all the config file in the save directory and it was alright. that or i d/l'ed the patch from somewhere else.

after u have patched it, the game will still access the CD if it is in the drive. but it doesn't *have* to, if u get my drift.