1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
RodLosAngeles

Frame Limiter

Question

Immortal LuD

There'd probably be a difference between 30, and 50 fps...

Although the game runs at 60+ fps all the time when it's disabled, textures just don't show up fast enough, and there's even loading times.  :*(

Wish they'd fix this problem. There's no way a simple frame rate should determine how fast textures should load. This game is great the way it is, but it's a whole 'nother story at 60+ fps!  :sly:

21 answers to this question

allstarme

I keep it on because when it's off if you're going very fast sometimes the textures don't quite catch up and don't appear until a few seconds later. Dosn't happen with it on.

REX_TEH_FAG

use the frame limiter. if it doesn't limit the frames, the framerate becomes erratic as well as the game speed.

[ej]

yea the frame limiter being off can be less demanding on your video card but at the same time can ruin your game play. most leave it on, very few off. id say leave it on. if you have a crappy video card turn it off.

RodLosAngeles

Alright then, it's staying on.

Still wondering, is there a way to maybe change the frame limiter's limit to 35fps or 40fps?

The Quick and the Dead
Alright then, it's staying on.

Still wondering, is there a way to maybe change the frame limiter's limit to 35fps or 40fps?

Man, you can't even SEE that fast.  Wave your hands in front of you fast and they'll start to streak, thats cuz you cant SEE that fast.  Don't worry, 30 is fine.  I don't know of a way to up it but I don't see a need.

Immortal LuD

There'd probably be a difference between 30, and 50 fps...

Although the game runs at 60+ fps all the time when it's disabled, textures just don't show up fast enough, and there's even loading times.  :*(

Wish they'd fix this problem. There's no way a simple frame rate should determine how fast textures should load. This game is great the way it is, but it's a whole 'nother story at 60+ fps!  :sly:

Jerk85

30 fps IS plenty fast. 30 fps is the standard in virtually any video format (VHS, DVD), and 24fps is the standard for film prints.

roth
30 fps IS plenty fast. 30 fps is the standard in virtually any video format (VHS, DVD), and 24fps is the standard for film prints.

With the limiter off the game is much more fluid because your seeing more. Playing a game and watching a movie isnt the same. But it stutters occasionally(not nearly as bad as GTA3) and I get a very brief loading message sometimes. Wish they could fix this and the sound issues in a patch.

ghost_master2000

Well, I am glad I read this topic becasue I was having problems with texture stuff, and I was like wtf!  

btw.  has anybody had problems wher the viideo freezes, but the adio keeps going.  I have had this happen twice.

Exkabewbikadid

With the limiter off the game is much more fluid because your seeing more. Playing a game and watching a movie isnt the same. But it stutters occasionally(not nearly as bad as GTA3) and I get a very brief loading message sometimes. Wish they could fix this and the sound issues in a patch.

Yeah, I agree.  30 fps is definately tolerable, but I can tell a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps.  At 60 fps, games look much more fluid and crisp, but in the case of GTA 3 and VC, it's difficult to get a solid 60+ fps without studdering, texture problems with the highest-end video cards.  I have a 9800 Pro and both games studder badly with occasional missing textures with the limiter off.  In GTA 3, I still get some texture problems and studdering with the limiter on, but in VC the game is very smooth with the limiter on - if only it could do the same at 60 fps...

darknyt6

Heh heh - I feel like I'm in the UT2K3 forums with all this 'what FPS can the eye detect' jazz.

See this article (one of many) for more info on why we can see more FPS than once commonly thought: http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

The USAF also did tests that prove their pilots can detect a frame displayed for 1/220th of a second, blah blah.

Perhaps the biggest reason for high FPS is more that a higher FPS greatly reduces the likelihood that the frames will at any one time, drop to a level that is noticeably slow - as in stuttering.  So the biggest concern is making the sure the lowest FPS you'll experience is high enough.

ILIAS

HOW CAN YOU CALCULATE YOUR FRAME RATE?

HAVE YOU GOT ANY FPS COUNTER?

I NEED IT

SEND IT ME VIA EMAIL OR POST THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD IT.

[email protected]

|

Vetinari
Do you think there's a way to fix the slowdown with sand and water effects, when the limiter is off?

Don't know if it'll work with the limiter off, but on my comp (GeForce Ti4400) i'll have stutter & slight treacle-movement with rain etc when Anti-Aliasing is on, and none when it's off. I have the frame limiter on, but it's worth a try when turned off...

iguanaman99

I have a RAEDON 8500LE and with frame limiter on it looks duller with it off the people and cars look so much crisper but i have to restart aout 15 mins earlier (my cpu has almost no cooling)

manoid

hiya

ive been having some problems with the game stuttering and sh!t and found that with the frame limiter on its too choppy and sometimes drops to 15-20fps

with the frame limiter off i get average 50fps+ and it never drops below 30

i got a gf4 4600 ti 128meg

i dont use frame limiter any more

if you want to count your frame rate use fraps

www.fraps.com

Vicetopia

Turn it off.  Even if you only have a 32 MB card (GF2?) turn it off anyway.

However, a lot of people get a problem with the textures keeping up.  I'm not sure if that's a slow video card or anything, but I have 3 computers (Two have GeForce 4's, but different brands, and 1 is on an ASUS GF2) and they all work fine with the frame limiter off.

And if your video card is good enough, you won't have to deal with "smooth sometimes, not smooth sometimes" because it'll be smooth all the time.   :nervous:

EDIT:

"Do you think there's a way to fix the slowdown with sand and water effects, when the limiter is off?"

Not sure who posted that, but I have a semi-way to fix it.  If you want, I'll send you my particle.cfg.  It basically just REMOVES most sand/water/smoke effects.  You won't see them, but hey, atleast your game won't get amazingly choppy when landing the helicopter, peeling out, etc.

Anyone who plays with the Frame Limiter OFF and gets bad slow-downs when dust/smoke/etc is present should use my particle.cfg.

ILIAS

Yo Vicetopia! Nice avatar! :sigh:

Hello to all!

I counted my fps with Fraps yesterday.

In menus was 75 fps and in game was about 25fps.

Some times I got 30 but MANY times I got 15.

When I drive and from 25fps drobs to 5fps-15fps I loose the control of the car and I crash into a wall or into other cars.

IF I had ALWAYS 15fps without up-down, I could play well.

BUT I have an unstable frame rate from 3fps to 28fps while runing with a car.

If I'm on foot and move the mouse so that I can look down, I get about 40-50 fps!  :pp

My system is:

CPU: Pentium 3 @ 933MHz

Memory: 256MB RAM

Video Card: nVidia GeForce 2 with 32MB

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster 128 PCI

HD: Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm

note that I have installed ONLY Windows 98, Video/Sound Drivers, DirectX9, GTA VC and NOTHING ELSE!!! Neither programs nor other games.  :turn: (=])

I'm thinking to buy 256 more RAM or a GeForce 4 with 64MB or 128MB Memory.

But NOT both of them. One of them because I'm not rich!  ;)

Can anyone suggest me what to do to have an average of 32-38 fps without fall lower than 25fps.  :rol:

crazy1stgamer2nd

in CS i can tell the diff between 70 and 100fps

my moniter starts to ghost at over 30 i can tell the diff.....

but yea imma try frame limiter on, when cars are getting into my view range only parts of them show up like a frame THEN a texture looks very fake sad.gif

ryubond007

i have a stupid 256mb with an idiot 64mb card ... can anybody guess what will be my framerate?

spaceeinstein
Oh my god you just bumped a two-year-old topic. Should this be locked?

Forty
Yes, it should.