4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Able to play VC without installing DX9?

MaxPower

Johnny The Homicidal Maniac

I'm preeeetty sure you'll need all that. But I'm wondering if you have to download a new version of the service pack??

I have no idea about NT, but Vice City works perfectly on Windows 98 with DX 8.1 - in fact, it performs better than GTA3, as many have stated already. :)

Note that, upon completion of installing the game itself, the VC installer attempted to install DX9 without a warning, but since I usually have a copy of ProcExp open at all times, to stop any naughty processes, I quickly terminated its foolish behavior. :)

sweet.  I will probly do this.  Install VC on my main 2k, dx9 partition and on  also on my win98 dx 8.1 partition but win98 one will be for modding    :)

I'm having problems installing Vice City on my PC.  I can install the game, put the 2nd cd in, and it all works fine up until it starts installing DirectX(I already have 9.0 installed).  The error it gives me is this:

Error Number: 0x80040707

Description: DLL function call crashed: DSETUP.DirectXSetupA

Setup will now terminate.

And then DXSetup ends and this comes up:

Setup has caused an error in .

Setup will now close.

If you continue to experience problems,

try restarting your computer.

And then it all closes.

Is there anyway to get around installing DX9.0 from the GTA:VC cd?  Or am I just screwed and will never be able to play the game?

Forgot to add that I'm running Windows ME on a P4 1.4ghz, 384mb RDRAM, 60.0gb(20.0 free), GeForce Ti4200 128mb video card.  I think I've got all the updated drivers n' shiite too.  Anything else you need to know, just ask.

I'm having problems installing Vice City on my PC.  I can install the game, put the 2nd cd in, and it all works fine up until it starts installing DirectX(I already have 9.0 installed).  The error it gives me is this:

Setup will now close.

And then it all closes.

Is there anyway to get around installing DX9.0 from the GTA:VC cd?  Or am I just screwed and will never be able to play the game?

Since DX9 was being installed on my PC automatically, I just let it go and it didnt give me any problems. However, for your problem, see Vess's post. He mentions the program ProcEXP, which Im not really familiar with, but sounds like that program can help you to continue setup after you stop it from installing it. Maybe you can give it a try and see if it works (and possibly post the solution if it works in that stick Bugs thread at the top)  :)

Setup will now close.

And then it all closes.

Actually try this solution out (I Googled your error number):

Hi,

Okay, I had a program that I really wanted to install and I kept getting this 0x80040707 error message. I couldn't find a way to fix the installer or to avoid the error message, but at least I found a method that allows you to install programs even if you are affected by the damn 0x80040707 bug. At least it worked for me, so you might want to give it a try:

1. Run the setup program and PAY ATTENTION to the folder where you are installing the software. Keep clicking on the "Next" button and here it is, the progress bar.

2. When the progress bar reaches 100% and you get the 0x80040707 error message, DO NOT click "Accept" or "Ok" or whatever says the button in the error window. Instead proceed as I describe:

3. Go to the the folder where the program is supposed to be installed. Yes, it's there!. Copy this folder to another location (for example, to the desktop).

4. Now click "Accept" or "Ok" in the 0x80040707 error window. This will erase almost every file in the folder where the program was originally installed. Who cares? You have a copy of it.

5. Now overwrite this almost-empty original installation folder with the one you backuped.

6. If you want you can even create manually a shortcut of the EXE file that launches the software wherever you like. Double click it. Does it work?

As I said, it worked perfectly for me. Hope it works for ya.

Good luck!

Sergi Puertas

http://www.dioxid.cjb.net

Found it here. Hope that helps  :)

If this helps, someone should add this solution into the pinned VC Bugs Topic maybe.

Do you mean DoctahJ's problem? Im was waiting to see if it worked for him, and then post it in the sticky thread

Why in the world would you use a win98 partition for anything? I don't know how much modding your going to get down when it slowly leaks your system resources. Now in no way am i pro anything may that be linux bsd unix windows now back to the point is jesus install DX9 it is like 20mB so don't trip. And my favorite os is win2k pro

VC now works fine, except that the cars are pretty quiet, even with the volume turned way up.  Oh well, I can deal with that.  Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...
Burt Reynolds

I had the same problem with VC;

I'm also using ME perhaps that's the problem? Good call from MaxPower moving the files after install completion does do the trick but there must be better/faster way of getting the bloody thing to install!?!

My point... could everyone with this problem let the peolple at the official bug list know.Thanx

http://www.take2games.com/index.p....%20City

:rampage: