1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
GTA_Crime_Lord

Tweak Your Sytem Memory

Question

GTA_Crime_Lord

Are you get laggy frame rates on Windows ME click Here. This helps you adjust your RAM performance on ME it worked for me VC runs like a dream. I think i would work with Windows 98 aswell but im not so sure.

22 answers to this question

Vicetopia

Instead of risking your system, and this probably does, for future crashes...  Why don't you just BUY more RAM?

I just bought more ram (Boosts me up to 512 MB of RAM?) for about $15.

GTA_Crime_Lord

Hey im just trying to help and i have 256MB RAM the max ME will take and my computer has sped up due to that guide but hey use at your own risk or if its your last resort.

DexX
Instead of risking your system, and this probably does, for future crashes...  Why don't you just BUY more RAM?

I just bought more ram (Boosts me up to 512 MB of RAM?) for about $15.

well since i CANT buy more ram, im at my Max of 512, which is all my motherboard supports, i might look into this. dont be such a douchebag.

mjsmithz

why dont you just not use windows ME its a piece of sh*t, in general and even more so in memory usage.  as for ME only supporting 256mb of RAM thats not true i upgraded to 512 and noticed an improvement ME doesnt restric the amount of memory you motherboard does

DexX

"just don't use ME"

What sound advice. but what if he can't afford another OS?well sh*t, that throws that idea right out the window. Not everyone can drop $100 at will to upgrade their pc's.

I downgraded from WinMe to 98se, and you know what? Me is better, this 98 sh*t, runs at half the speed Me did, and crashes more often. what the f*ck is that?!

mjsmithz

if your willing to drop $40 on this and any other high usage game you should be willing to have it operate on a decent system so you can actually enjoy it. but if your not wiling to their is the slightly cheaper option of putting in more ram so its inefficency isnt so noticable

or you could switch over to Linux, though i am not sure if Vice will run in it yet i know all the previous GTA's do and i am sure they are working on getting it to run on linux so if you can hang on for a couple months  you can have it run much faster on a much more efficent OS for absolutly free

gREENcOW

I think Wine supports it.....But I could be totally wrong, so take that with a grain of salt.  

"if your willing to drop $40 on this and any other high usage game you should be willing to have it operate on a decent system so you can actually enjoy it. "

How true.  Even though, if you were one of the first to buy this game, you prolly plunked down 50 instead of 40.  

Now, I do not condone warez........Except when it comes to Microcrap™  Any and every bit you can get your hands on when it comes to winbloze.  So not having a spare OS around, or a friend to bum it from now-n-days is just plain lazy, sorry....

Vicetopia

I use Windows 98.

I refuse to use Windows XP due to all the damn crashing it does.  Is there any game that Windows XP runs 100% functionally?  No, there isn't.

I refuse to use Windows ME because Windows XP came out right after it.  Plus, Windows ME is a stupid name.

I refuse to use Windows 95 because it's old and 1995 was a bad year.

I still stand on the fact that you shouldn't attempt to BOOST your system speed by tweaking.  Tweaking brings it to the speed it SHOULD be, it doesn't make it faster.  If it does, it's hurting your system.

Buy more RAM.

Get a new motherboard.

Get a new Operating system...

But don't attempt to "tweak" (Notice the quotes?) your system.

homercles
I refuse to use Windows XP due to all the damn crashing it does.  Is there any game that Windows XP runs 100% functionally?  No, there isn't.

Well, all i can conclude from this is that you have NO clue what the hell youre talking about.  I have been running XP pro for a couple years.  These are the games that ran "100% functionally" (no winbloze related crashes):

JKII

Splinter Cell

Morrowind (Tribunal also)

GTA: III & VC

Max Payne

RTCW

Hitman 2

Devastation (ran like sh!t at times, but still ran and never crashed)

plus others that im sure im forgetting....

So go ahead and put that in your pipe and smoke it, cuz clearly your are smokin somethin...

waj

Oh for god's sake just shurrup all of ya!

Vicetopia

Go through this message board for Vice City alone and count all the "Help!  Game crashes/Game not working" Operating Systems.  Nearly all of them are for Windows XP.

Then go to message boards for other games and count those.  Nearly all of them will be Windows XP.

Is it because of the fact that more people use Windows XP?  Well, maybe, but even before Windows XP I never saw this many problems and people have even told me that Windows XP is bullsheet for PC games.

WooFer
Go through this message board for Vice City alone and count all the "Help!  Game crashes/Game not working" Operating Systems.  Nearly all of them are for Windows XP.

Then go to message boards for other games and count those.  Nearly all of them will be Windows XP.

Is it because of the fact that more people use Windows XP?  Well, maybe, but even before Windows XP I never saw this many problems and people have even told me that Windows XP is bullsheet for PC games.

I haved used every single window's OS. And the best for gaming is Windows XP pro. I havnt had 1 single problem with anygames i have played except for Duke Nukem 3D. i noticed that XP has increased the performance alot on GTA3 since that game was poorly done. I have tried Vice city on windows 2000, me and 98. And i find that more problems like crashing happen on ME and 2000. Windows 98 just skips alot more. So i dissagree with you and windows XP not being good for Gaming. If you take care of your computer make sure no BS is running execpt important things like Nortan and you have good specs for a computer (not the best) XP should run the games fine.

(all these OS/Game tests were tested on another computer by me on a p4 1.5 ghz 256 RD ram Geforce 2 mx 400 with duel booting)

homercles

Yea, i agree Woofer. I would bet that most people having problems with XP either have a ton of sh!t running in the BG, dont have enough memory (XP is very memory intensive), or otherwise just dont give their system the necessary maintenance/TLC.  Most likely all three  :p

Vicetopia

Well my computer runs everything fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone else in the world has no problems too.   :D

J-Mitch

Vice City came out after XP, so before XP came out there were a lot less problems with GTA VC (none). If you were talking about general GTA problems, I've seen the most with ME (out of what was available during GTA3's reign), and I've also had personal experiences with XP and ME, and XP's better, even on the ole PIII.

Vercetti Thug
Hey im just trying to help and i have 256MB RAM the max ME will take.

LMFAO, that has to be the statement of the year!

I hope you don't have career plans that have anything to do with computers.

GTA_Crime_Lord

well its true i stuck another stick of RAM into my computer and so all 3 RAM slots are full and ME still read it as 256MB. dont know and i couldent care less.

Kurgen

So the problem is most likely your motherboard, NOT WinME, although WinME really is a pile 'o' piss anyhoo... If it ain't your mobo, it's probably the wrong RAM you're using. Disparate RAM speeds, noteably using 133MHz in a PC100 slot, or PC100 in a PC66 slot, will usually quarter the reported amount, and give you a nice big pile 'o' BSOD's while it's at it.

K.

Wu Masta James

eh....download Lindows.....yer missin out

mjsmithz

while i  havent had any experience with lindows i have only heard bad things

GTA_Crime_Lord

ME has some kind of technical flaw which prevents it from reading more than 256 there is supposedly a fix but it was too late when i had found this fix out i had returned the RAM & Windows update is nothing but bad news always leads to a new error.

Ive had it up ot here with all windows OS i think ill stick to ME for now ive got it pretty much sussed out now. Plus im just gonna get a new computer soon  :rah:

Vicetopia

I have to get a new computer every few months (New mobo and sometimes a replacement GF4) because I burn my sh*t out.

*Sigh*

Can't go wrong with an nForce motherboard (nvidia) combined with a nVIDIA GF4..  They run together because they're both nVIDIA.  Good stuff.  That's what I use and it runs great.

And if ME didn't support your RAM, why didn't you install Windows 98 or XP and then use the additional RAM?...