yeah my games minimize every second lol  :dontgetit:

430/500  :(

going slow

.:R2D2:.
  • .:R2D2:.

Mostly Harmless

• The Precinct

Posted 22 April 2003 - 04:11 PM

does this adversely affect your internet speed?
b/c i just ran it there now and it said "Downloading new"
? i havent a clue
:whuh:

-r2d2 :)

Edwards
  • Edwards

sysnode netadmin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 April 2003 - 08:53 PM

Quote (.:R2D2:. @ April 22 2003,12:11)
does this adversely affect your internet speed?
b/c i just ran it there now and it said "Downloading new"
? i havent a clue
:whuh:

-r2d2 :)

It shouldn't. It does take a while to download the cores and the data, though.

Also, I installed [email protected] on my mom's PC too. So right now there's a total of 2780MHz available to it. (90% of my 2.7GHz, and 100% of my mom's 350MHz) I think I'll keep dnetc on my linuxbox though, I don't trust [email protected], too buggy.

Arch Stanton
  • Arch Stanton

War... All the time

• The Precinct

Posted 22 April 2003 - 09:10 PM

I'm having a strange server error. The server error box won't go off the screen and it locks down all the rest of my internet windows even though [email protected] continues running. I had to restart my comp twice. I don't want to have to take it off, but every time I walk away from the computer for an hour or two it f*cks up again. I can't remember exactly what the error said, I'll make a note of it if it happens again.

Edit:  Goddamn it, it just blue screened my system.  It has to be this because I haven't installed anything else in about 2 weeks.  Help and/or suggestions much appreciated.

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:22 PM

dunno what you're talking about
i've been running it for 4 days on 1.3 amd and 3 days on my dualie (24/7) and had 0 problems

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:44 PM

Quote (Arch Stanton @ April 22 2003,16:10)
I'm having a strange server error. The server error box won't go off the screen and it locks down all the rest of my internet windows even though [email protected] continues running. I had to restart my comp twice. I don't want to have to take it off, but every time I walk away from the computer for an hour or two it f*cks up again. I can't remember exactly what the error said, I'll make a note of it if it happens again.

Edit: Goddamn it, it just blue screened my system. It has to be this because I haven't installed anything else in about 2 weeks. Help and/or suggestions much appreciated.

Hmm, how do you have your connection configured?  I have mine set to use Internet Explorer settings.  I don't know what proxy server port 8080 is for.  I guess you have to use that if you're using Mozilla or some other browser.  Yeah, if you get that error again take a pic (alt+print scr) or write it down.

@ R2D2 - I noticed that opening IE seems to be really slow sometimes, but I don't think it has to do with the program though.  Windows started acting really buggy a few days before I installed the program.  Think it's time for another R&R (Reformat and Re-install) for me.  :sui:

Arch Stanton
  • Arch Stanton

War... All the time

• The Precinct

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:48 PM

Quote (Xcommunicated @ April 22 2003,23:44)
Quote (Arch Stanton @ April 22 2003,16:10)

Edit: Goddamn it, it just blue screened my system. It has to be this because I haven't installed anything else in about 2 weeks. Help and/or suggestions much appreciated.

Hmm, how do you have your connection configured? I have mine set to use Internet Explorer settings. I don't know what proxy server port 8080 is for. I guess you have to use that if you're using Mozilla or some other browser. Yeah, if you get that error again take a pic (alt+print scr) or write it down.

@ R2D2 - I noticed that opening IE seems to be really slow sometimes, but I don't think it has to do with the program though. Windows started acting really buggy a few days before I installed the program. Think it's time for another R&R (Reformat and Re-install) for me. :sui:

I'm a stupid ass.  My firewall isn't set up right for it, and keeps screwing it up.  I'll try again.  I can't believe you figured it out that quick.  godd job

Edwards
  • Edwards

sysnode netadmin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:17 AM

Quote (majestik @ April 21 2003,00:21)
how did you configure teh client?

my client.cfg
Code Sample
[settings]
username=mmajestic <<<if you want to keep that... :D
team=32093
asknet=no
machineid=1
local=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no
usepasswd=yes

[clienttype]
type=1 <<<important!

[core]
priority=0
cpuusage=100
disableassembly=no <<<important!
ignoredeadlines=no

:rah:

thanks for that config file, I just switched mine from GUI to CLI (as a service, too!;), it really helped. Hopefully I won't have any trouble with my games minimizing anymore.

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:22 AM

i hope you kept my name in it :p

btw, 10th wu in about 2hrs... and most my wu's are awfully small... like 15 points each :dontgetit:  :wtf:

Edwards
  • Edwards

sysnode netadmin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:43 AM

Quote (majestik @ April 22 2003,22:22)
i hope you kept my name in it :p

btw, 10th wu in about 2hrs... and most my wu's are awfully small... like 15 points each :dontgetit:  :wtf:

Changing the name to mine is the first thing I did.

Also, I have a really good tip for everyone: If you don't like your CPU running so hot, set the cpuusage thing in client.cfg to 90. The 10% of CPU usage that it frees up has lowered my temp from an average of 51C to a much more comfortable 46. And the loss of speed is negligable.

edit: and how do you make EMIII show the stats for another system? I want to see how my mom's PII is going, and I'm too lazy to start a VNC session.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:12 AM

Quote (Edwards @ April 22 2003,21:17)
I just switched mine from GUI to CLI (as a service, too!;), it really helped. Hopefully I won't have any trouble with my games minimizing anymore.

How did you change the GUI to command line Edwards?  :wtf:  Because it minimizes most games to the desktop for me too.

Edwards
  • Edwards

sysnode netadmin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:17 AM

Quote (Xcommunicated @ April 23 2003,01:12)
Quote (Edwards @ April 22 2003,21:17)
I just switched mine from GUI to CLI (as a service, too!;), it really helped. Hopefully I won't have any trouble with my games minimizing anymore.

How did you change the GUI to command line Edwards?  :wtf:  Because it minimizes most games to the desktop for me too.

There's a screensaver version, a GUI version, and a CLI version. You just get a different one, delete or rename your client.cfg, place the CLI version into th [email protected] folder, and run FaHCommand, or whatever it is, with the -config parameter. If you want to run it as a service, you need to set up FireDaemon. Google for a guide for it.

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:26 AM

download the command client version....

Frank Castiglione
  • Frank Castiglione

Don't think about the color red.

• The Precinct

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:39 PM

I mentioned the fact to my little sister that I knew some people from a Grand Theft Auto forum that had started a team for the the folding project. She works for a paper and told some people at work, they got back to her and said they might be interested in coming by here and check it out (the irony of the people who play the most media visibly senselessly violent game helping to save lives and all that schmack). I gave them the website address.

For those of you who are halfway interested, I guess try to keep this in mind if we get someone on here asking really stupid or possibly offensive questions (as reporters sometimes do), and this would be a great time for anyone who has been thinking about joining the project to go ahead and sign up.

I don't know about you, but I get some grim satisfaction from disappointing the Man's expectations, showing that not everybody's a f*ck up just cause that's the way they show them on TV.

Edit:  Blam.  Six and closing, I just got a big one and this beast is chewing it up.

Mr. Wongs
  • Mr. Wongs

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 April 2003 - 10:03 PM

Woohoo! I'm in the commanding last place!  :bored:

My computer takes a few days to unfold one gene, but it is strange since I have a 1.8 gHz processor. My PC is on most of the time, as well...

Edwards
  • Edwards

sysnode netadmin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 April 2003 - 10:27 PM

Quote (Mr_WongS @ April 23 2003,18:03)
Woohoo! I'm in the commanding last place!  :bored:

My computer takes a few days to unfold one gene, but it is strange since I have a 1.8 gHz processor. My PC is on most of the time, as well...

You've probably got something else running that's sucking up the clock cycles.

edit: aww, cmon! I'm sure some of you run distributed.net! join my team!

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:44 PM

money eh... maybe i'll try it for a day or so...

edit: i've got the client and i'm doing 11'000'000 keys/sec in RC5-72.. is that good?

Frank Castiglione
  • Frank Castiglione

• The Precinct

Posted 24 April 2003 - 04:54 AM

Some of the other teams have a team graphic that shows up when you click on thier team page (the Vcats have a huge cat holding a computer mouse).  Do we have a large GTA forums pic that we can use, or can one of you who knows any sig makers get them to design one?  

If the news story does work out (my sister called me today and relayed several questions about the history of the forums, how they work, what is allowed and what isn't, the admins, mods and all that that I answered to the best of my limited abilities) it might be an extra incentive, because that sig maker would get the credit for making the graphic that may even be noticed outside these forums.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:39 AM

Quote (Frank Castiglione @ April 23 2003,23:54)
Some of the other teams have a team graphic that shows up when you click on thier team page (the Vcats have a huge cat holding a computer mouse). Do we have a large GTA forums pic that we can use, or can one of you who knows any sig makers get them to design one?

If the news story does work out (my sister called me today and relayed several questions about the history of the forums, how they work, what is allowed and what isn't, the admins, mods and all that that I answered to the best of my limited abilities) it might be an extra incentive, because that sig maker would get the credit for making the graphic that may even be noticed outside these forums.

Hmm, this all sounds really interesting Frank. I have a question, what kind of paper are we talking about here? A small town newspaper or the Washington Post, lol?

Anyways, yeah, it's kinda funny that a forum dedicated to one of the most violent and controversial game series ever has a team working for a good cause (although, we only have like 15 people participating so far). I was going to try to start the folding team myself on these forums earlier this year, but I was doubtful anyone would participate. So I'm glad mike39 started it instead since he's been here since the beginning and is well known around this place.

As for the graphic for the home page, I noticed a lot of teams have logos too on their team page. I suppose we could just use this one (from the upper left corner)

But I think it'd be nice if someone made one up just for the team page though.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, for the history of the forums, your sister should probably contact Tank, seeing as he's the owner of the site.

mike39
  • mike39

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for reminding me, I had meant to put up a temporary one, of which I have just done. It features the GTAForums logo which I stole from above - and then TEAM GTAFORUMS in the all-original pricedown font. Don't forget, it's just a temporary and I'll gladly change it to whatever anyone else has to offer.

Have at it, fellas.

Edit:  Bah, you beat me, X.  I had the window idle for a bit while I spent 4 minutes downlnoading pricedown and typing it, while stealing the forum image.  Heh.  Anyway, check the page now - it should have updated.

Frank Castiglione
  • Frank Castiglione

• The Precinct

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:55 AM

Quote (Xcommunicated @ April 24 2003,06:39)
Hmm, this all sounds really interesting Frank. I have a question, what kind of paper are we talking about here? A small town newspaper or the Washington Post, lol?

She wishes it was the Post.

It's a metro paper, but not anything national.  I'm not sure how this is really supposed to work, so I'm not going to say any names right now until I get back to her on that.  I'm not really even sure if I was even supposed to be bring it up in the first place, I may already be f*cking this up.  I don't know much of jack sh*t about the press to tell you the truth.

I'll give her mike39 (even though I think he's mad at me again) and Tank's names.

That logo looks pretty good.  But it would be nice to have a really flashy custom one.

mike39
  • mike39

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 April 2003 - 06:02 AM

Quote (Frank Castiglione @ April 24 2003,01:55)
Quote (Xcommunicated @ April 24 2003,06:39)

She wishes it was the Post.

It's a metro paper, but not anything national. I'm not sure how this is really supposed to work, so I'm not going to say any names right now until I get back to her on that. I'm not really even sure if I was even supposed to be bring it up in the first place, I may already be f*cking this up. I don't know much of jack sh*t about the press to tell you the truth.

I'll give her mike39 (even though I think he's mad at me again) and Tank's names.

That logo looks pretty good. But it would be nice to have a really flashy custom one.

Haha, oh man.  I think that post was all good and fine, but I just started thinking about reading something like that in the paper.  "Tank and Mike39 are the prompters for the online cancer curing team of GTA players."  Just sounds funny to me, I guess.  Raaar.  

Oh God, I'm bored AND I've started to ramble.   :happy:

Gr Moff Matt
  • Gr Moff Matt

Zaibatsu's Lead Pilot and Hacker!

• Members

Posted 24 April 2003 - 04:13 PM

Ok, i have just started folding. Although theres a problem. I have a very sh*tty 801 mhz but since half the time i dont use it i might as well try and do this thing. Please dont moan at me for having such a sh*t cpu, im upgrading it soon anyway (well when i say that i mean my dad's upgrading it). I urge other ppl to do this!

ooh! its just gone 1/400  :D
That took a 801mhz pc running this forums, word and [email protected] about 5 mins!

ViperGTS-R
  • ViperGTS-R

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:11 PM

Right ive started foldint too :)  im using an AMD athlon 2100+ :D

Gr Moff Matt
  • Gr Moff Matt

Zaibatsu's Lead Pilot and Hacker!

• Members

Posted 24 April 2003 - 07:02 PM

Ahh crap!  :D  Well it takes 7:03 (yes thats 7 mins 3 secs, not 7 hours 3 mins) for me to advance a frame. I'm now 5% completed and frame 21/400. It actually feels good that i am doing my part to help.

Tank
  • Tank

Gangsta

• Administrator
  • None

Posted 24 April 2003 - 11:27 PM

Great idea Mike, well done :)

I've installed it so I should 'pop up' on the team board soon enough. Well done Mmajestic, you're really pushing out in front. It's excellent to see 13 team members already folding!

We need as many members as possible, so please let people know about [email protected] and the team.

Team Ranked @ 1,963 -  although I'm sure we can make that more impressive :)

Edwards
  • Edwards

sysnode netadmin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 April 2003 - 12:39 AM

Quote (Tank @ April 24 2003,19:27)

I've installed it so I should 'pop up' on the team board soon enough. Well done Mmajestic, you're really pushing out in front. It's excellent to see 13 team members already folding!

We need as many members as possible, so please let people know about [email protected] and the team.

Team Ranked @ 1,963 -  although I'm sure we can make that more impressive :)

Yay, the forum god is running it too!

Oi, windowsbox is 302/400 done a WU, and mombox is only... *checks via VNC* 154/400. Goddamn this thing is slow.

edit: ah, what the hell... I'll bump the speedlimit on windowsbox up to 95% CPU. Who cares about 1-2C, I like my room warm anyhoo. gives it an extra 135MHz to work with.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 25 April 2003 - 12:59 AM

Quote (Tank @ April 24 2003,18:27)

Team Ranked @ 1,963 - although I'm sure we can make that more impressive :)

Thanks for recognising the team and helping out tank.  I feel more optimistic about the team now that we have the owner of the site backing us  :D

Yeah we need as many people to join as possible.  This really isn't so much about competing for 1st place in the team ranking, but it's about 1) helping to fight cancer and disease and 2) the team ranking amongst other teams.  I think the team ranking was around 2.300 a week ago, so we've already jumped below 2k.  Really I think it'd be amazing if the GTA team could make it to the top 100 or even the top 200.  Then we just might make the Washington Post!

The Eye of Sauron
  • The Eye of Sauron

Sig Master (-shadow is a fag)

• Members

Posted 25 April 2003 - 01:54 AM

Hmm I signed up (I think). It feels really good to be helping, even if its only a small way. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users