Fold for GTAForums!

1,102 replies to this topic
mike39
  • mike39

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:16 AM

fold.png

Combined, we are.. Platypus?! Well, maybe cancer's worst fear!

Well, I suppose you guys want to know what Folding is.  For an in depth version, visit this URL.  For the short summary of what it's about, stay tuned.  

Folding, is, basically, utilizing your idle CPU clocks (CPU power you don't use) to fold certain proteins.  These proteins, after being *folded*, will be sent back to the people doing this stuff and it will help them learn more about it, and they'll be able to solve cancer and stuff.  It's for a good cause, and it's very remarkably similar to SETI - but this is for something better than searching for E.T.  wink.gif

Now, how do you do it?  Download the software from the following link, and set your name to your GTAForums username and set the Team Number to 32093.  Don't be sad if it takes you awhile to get one of the WU (Work Units) done, they take awhile depending on the size of the protein you're *folding*.

And, well, you're basically done.  You can view your stats here and check on your progress.  This is the central GTAForums folding URL, and will be updated as you guys fold more.  Don't be surprised if I'm not on there, either, as I'm curerntly rather dedicated to another team - but it's never a bad idea to try to influence you guys to do well too.  Heh.  

Anyway, go out and download the software and fold!  It's not only fun and addictive, but it's incredibly easy to set up.  There's no day to day work involved, except remembering to put it on your Startup menu so that you don't forget to have it running when your PC is on.  Also, try to remember that it doesn't lag your PC in anyway way, unless you're running a processor under 200MHz or something.  Even then, you still might be able to do it - it just might ... lag a bit, heh.  

Oh, and here's the list of links again so you guys don't get confused.

____

Download the Software
GTAForums (32093) Team Page

Some additional info:

Running multiple clients on a multi-core cpu

If you have a multi-core cpu, then you can run a client on each core. To do this, you will need to select the Machine ID during each client's setup. Select Machine ID 1 for the first client, Machine ID 2 for the second client, and so on for however many cores you have.

Running Folding@Home as a service

If you want to run F@H in stealth mode, then download the Text-Only Console client (from the download page) and run it as a Windows Service. Do this by selecting "yes" when prompted to run it as a service during setup. This will allow F@H to run even if noone is logged onto your PC.

Monitoring your PC's progress

If you would like to monitor your PC's progress and benchmark its performance, then use a program called FahMon found here. For monitoring GPUs point them at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu\ (Vista) or C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu (XP). In order to find the directory either turn off hiding directories or search for 'appdata'.

Folding on your graphics card

NVIDIA:
RTFM
•Make sure your card is supported:

CODE The client runs on

* GeForce 8xxx
   * GeForce 9xxx
   * Quadro FX 360, 370, 570, 1600, 1700, 3600, 3700, 4600, 5600
   * Quadro NVS 130, 135, 140, 290, 320
   * Tesla C870*
   * MCP77/78*
   * NVIDIA GeForce G*

Which is most of the hardware supported by NVIDIA's CUDA.

Download and install the latest CUDA drivers.
Download the client, run, have fun.
Keep yourself updated on the forum about new clients, new cores, new bugs.
•Make sure you don't use the protein viewer, it takes cycles away from the GPU, slows down your folding and can be buggy (especially on XP). If you want to check your progress look in the log. Only use the viewer to crush the egoes of your PS3 folding friends (if you have a working viewer that is).

ATI:
RTFM
•Make sure your card is supported:

CODE The latest GPU Folding@Home client now supports:

* ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series
       * ATI Radeon™ HD 3800 Series
       * ATI Radeon™ HD 3600 Series
       * ATI Radeon™ HD 3400 Series
       * ATI Radeon™ HD 2900 Series
       * ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 Series
       * ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 Series

Download and install the latest Catalyst drivers
Download the client, run, have fun
Keep yourself updated on the forum about new clients, new cores, new bugs.

Folding on your Playstation 3

You can also contribute if you have a PS3. The PS3 client can be found on the download page.

If you have any questions, post them in the pinned topic. And let's get GTAForums to the top 100!

Tommy_Angelo
  • Tommy_Angelo

Official Forum Flamer!!!

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:19 AM

Isnt this advertising?

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:20 AM

Now maybe if everybody at the forums signs up for this, cancer might be cured in a week. Okay, that's a bit too optimistic, but it can't hurt to try. ;)

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:21 AM

lol, I told mike no, he got all pissed and blocked me. :D

Wheelman
  • Wheelman

n00b patrol

• Members

Good stuff, mikey.

wheelman550 changes his team number

Morph
  • Morph

Spiritless Monkey

• Members

Yes Sir Mr. Abominator Sir!  :p

mike39
  • mike39

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:24 AM

Don't forget that if you don't fold, you love cancer and you're prone to attracting it.  Lesfleanutt is getting cancer.

Edwards
  • Edwards

sysnode netadmin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:24 AM

Likewise, if anyone else runs distributed.net, I'm going to make a team on there (for us gtaforumers). Info will be available soon.

Schopp
  • Schopp

Frisky

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:27 AM

i heard about this idea a long time ago, my best freinds mother died from cancer, and so did my grandfather, i will take part in this.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Say hi to your mom for me.

• United-States

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:27 AM

I was gonna bring up this same idea a few months ago when I learned about folding at http://www.tech-report.com and http://www.rage3d.com, but I was skeptical as to how well it would go over on these forums.  

Anyways, I never did join a team or get the program, but seeing how I leave my pc on 24/7, I think I'll participate and make good use of otherwise wasted electricity  :p

mike39
  • mike39

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:30 AM

Quote (Xcommunicated @ April 15 2003,22:27)
I was gonna bring up this same idea a few months ago when I learned about folding at http://www.tech-report.com and http://www.rage3d.com, but I was skeptical as to how well it would go over on these forums.  

Anyways, I never did join a team or get the program, but seeing how I leave my pc on 24/7, I think I'll participate and make good use of otherwise wasted electricity  :p

What's your nick on Rage3D?

Schopp
  • Schopp

Frisky

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:32 AM

ummm...i signed up, and it is running right now, but my name is not showing up on the team list.

mike39
  • mike39

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:35 AM

Quote (Schopp @ April 15 2003,22:32)
ummm...i signed up, and it is running right now, but my name is not showing up on the team list.

It won't until you complete your first work unit.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

• United-States

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:38 AM

Quote (mike39 @ April 15 2003,21:30)
What's your nick on Rage3D?

I never signed up in the forums, but I prolly will very soon as I'm in need of help with my 9700.

Schopp
  • Schopp

Frisky

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:41 AM

Quote (Tommy_Angelo @ April 16 2003,03:19)
Isnt this advertising?

advertising or not, its to help cure cancer for gods sake.

.Admiral
  • .Admiral

1st SFOD-D

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:49 AM

this seems realy neat-o
but
i have no i dea what u r on about. well good luck with ur cure for cancer  :p

Superfly.
  • Superfly.

Donkey Smash

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:49 AM Edited by SuperFly123, 17 January 2004 - 11:22 AM.

Edit: Nevermind, everybody hates me. sad.gif

Mr. Wongs
  • Mr. Wongs

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 04:05 AM

Hot damn! My program has been "folding" for about 2 hours now, and it's only 1/400 completed! :O

Exactly how long is this supposed to take? :dontgetit:

dizzy_gopher
  • dizzy_gopher

GONE.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 05:07 AM

Lol, I have no clue what soever your talking about. But, I signed up for it. So, you get proteins in your CPU, and they send those proteins through your Cabl modem? :dontgetit:

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

• United-States

Posted 16 April 2003 - 06:40 AM

Quote (dizzy_gopher @ April 16 2003,00:07)
Lol, I have no clue what soever your talking about. But, I signed up for it. So, you get proteins in your CPU, and they send those proteins through your Cabl modem? :dontgetit:

The best way I know to describe it is, the program is using your pc's processor to "fold" or assemble proteins.  When proteins in the human body do not self-assemble or "fold" properly, diseases and cancers are believed to be a likely result.  

So by using many computers' spare processor cycles, the team at Stanford University can gather the information from the work done by these computers and use it to understand how protiens work and why they sometimes don't work properly.  If they can figure out why protiens don't always work properly, then they can find ways to prevent this from happening and in turn, cure cancer and diseases.

@ Mr_WongS - What are the specs of your processor?  I have a P4 1.8Ghz, and I've done 46/400 in the past 3 hours.

I think I'll see if someone wants to make a sig so people can advertise the team and hopefully get others to sign up.

dizzy_gopher
  • dizzy_gopher

GONE.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 06:44 AM

Quote (Xcommunicated @ April 16 2003,07:40)
Quote (dizzy_gopher @ April 16 2003,00:07)

The best way I know to describe it is, the program is using your pc's processor to "fold" or assemble proteins.  When proteins in the human body do not self-assemble or "fold" properly, diseases and cancers are believed to be a likely result.  

So by using many computers' spare processor cycles, the team at Stanford University can gather the information from the work done by these computers and use it to understand how protiens work and why they sometimes don't work properly.  If they can figure out why protiens don't always work properly, then they can find ways to prevent this from happening and in turn, cure cancer and diseases.

So, this is sort of like "Spyware", but for a positive cause?

Oh, and X, please quit "Remaining Annonumous"...it's kinda annoying...

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

• United-States

Posted 16 April 2003 - 06:50 AM

Quote (dizzy_gopher @ April 16 2003,01:44)
So, this is sort of like "Spyware", but for a positive cause?

Oh, and X, please quit "Remaining Annonumous"...it's kinda annoying...

Well, I wouldn't compare it to spyware because it's not gathering any information about what you do or have on your pc.  Your pc is just contributing a small piece of a large puzzle to solve mysteries of the human body.

And like I told the other guy damnit, my light bulb burnt out!  Cheap-ass icon board! :p

Vash the Stampede
  • Vash the Stampede

Legendary Outlaw

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 01:14 PM

Seems like a neat idea mike, dude whats up with your group name lol.  :)

Wheelman
  • Wheelman

n00b patrol

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 04:43 PM

At last, my first work unit for the gtaforums team is completed. :)

dizzy_gopher
  • dizzy_gopher

GONE.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 07:22 PM

Well, I'd just like to say, that I left my computer on over night, and now I'm aty 300/600 (50%)! :) My part will be done by the night's out, I reckon...

Mr. Wongs
  • Mr. Wongs

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 07:46 PM

My processor speed is 1.8 GHz. I turned my PC on again about 10 minutes ago, and it's now only 3/400 completed. Maybe the protein I'm unfolding is more complicated, who knows. :/

ACA
  • ACA

Canadian Metalhead

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 08:35 PM

Protiens...isnt that, like, somthing thats in food? Sooo, your saying they are sending you a cheeseburger through your modem, making your processor fold it, and then sending it back to them to analyze it? :wtf: Couldnt they do the same thing with a trash compactor?

Jokes aside. Really, sombody dumb it down for me. I'd help, but this computer is only a Pentium 133.

I still have no clue WTF this means...

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

• United-States

Posted 16 April 2003 - 09:21 PM

Quote (ACA @ April 16 2003,15:35)
Protiens...isnt that, like, somthing thats in food? Sooo, your saying they are sending you a cheeseburger through your modem, making your processor fold it, and then sending it back to them to analyze it? :wtf: Couldnt they do the same thing with a trash compactor?

Jokes aside. Really, sombody dumb it down for me. I'd help, but this computer is only a Pentium 133.

I still have no clue WTF this means...

Alright here's a crash course in what protiens are in the human body.

1)  Protiens are mad up of smaller structures called aminoi acids.
2)  When you eat foods with protien such as eggs, meat, etc, you're body breaks the protiens in those foods down into amino acids
3)  The human body then uses those amino acids to build specific protiens that are neccessary for the body to function.
 a)  There is a protien in the body called Keratin that makes up hair and nails
 b)  There is a protien called collagen that's in the body's connective tissues.
 Basically, there are many different types of protiens that are neccessary for the body to exist.
4)  The purpose of this folding program is to understand why protiens sometimes f*ck up and cause cancer and diseases in the human body.
5)  why don't the scientists behind the folding program use supercomputers you might ask?  Because there are millions of PCs that can be used which can do a lot more that a few supercomputers can on their own.  Why?  Because several million microprocessors can accomplish a lot more work than a few thousand processors can in a supercomputer.

Well, I graetly oversimplified all of that, but it's a basic explanation at least.

pottymouthmonkey
  • pottymouthmonkey

Beware the Frying Pan of Doom!!!

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 09:46 PM

i got it running. do i have to click anything or something, or do i just let it run?

Mr. Wongs
  • Mr. Wongs

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 April 2003 - 10:01 PM

Quote (pottymouthmonkey @ April 16 2003,18:46)
i got it running. do i have to click anything or something, or do i just let it run?

You don't have to do anything, just let it run. Make sure your team is set to 32093

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users