Photo

Troubleshooting and Optimisations

57 replies to this topic
DominionSpy
  • DominionSpy

Man with a plan!

• Members

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:08 PM

A friend of mine is having a very strange problem.

Every time he starts GTA2 (or Half Life 1 or Fraps) his computer resets.
He's tried getting the latest drivers for his video card (Radeon 9800), using the patch, setting compatibility mode to Windows 98 and some other things. He also has the latest version of DirectX (0.9c).

Nothing has any effect whatsoever. He can play all of his other games (including GTA III and Vice City), but not those programs.

Anyone got any ideas?

Purpleleavez
  • Purpleleavez

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:26 PM

alien.gif i just bought the gta classics collection for pc. i installed gta 1, 1969 london, and gta2. the setup programs work, but when i try to run the games themselves, i get an error message that looks like this: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library -- Runtime Error! Program: C:\PROGRA~1\ROCKST~1\GRANDT~2\WINO\GRANDT~1.EXE -- abnormal program termination" Can anyone tell me what the deal is??? I've called rockstar and take2games support and they tried msconfig, they tried disabling my antivirus, they tried compatibility mode. I don't know what to do. I really want to play these games. Someone please help me out...

limiting factor
  • limiting factor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:11 PM

I've got a problem that no-one seems to have posted about.

GTA2 has loaded OK in XP, and I can get it to start, but once I'm in the game, all movement runs at an impossible speed - like 5 or 10 times normal - making it impossible to control.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanx.

Pseudocool
  • Pseudocool

Inspired Lunacy

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:01 PM

I have exactly the opposide.

To fix it. GTA Manager > Video > Left top corner, check 'Frame Limiter' and it should be ok.

My problem is, I played GTA2 at my friend's house, and it works fine. I installed it at my house (legal copy) and ingame, it's pretty slow comparing to the normal speed. How can I fix this?

Dark Gallon
  • Dark Gallon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Pseudocool @ Dec 27 2004, 16:01)

To fix it. GTA Manager > Video > Left top corner, check 'Frame Limiter' and it should be ok.

My problem is, I played GTA2 at my friend's house, and it works fine. I installed it at my house (legal copy) and ingame, it's pretty slow comparing to the normal speed. How can I fix this?

I have the same problem here bored.gif

I use Windows XP Professional Edition...anyone can help us?

seadog
  • seadog

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (Dark Gallon @ Dec 30 2004, 19:13)
QUOTE (Pseudocool @ Dec 27 2004, 16:01)

I have the same problem here bored.gif

I use Windows XP Professional Edition...anyone can help us?

Hi! I've got exactly the same problem. I only found this forum in search of a solution to this problem. I'm glad to see there's recent posts with similar questions.

Actually i've got GTA2 installed on a number of pc's. Most of which run it fine. I was running XP + SP1 since last week when my mobo died. I got a new mobo, installed XP and SP2 and the latest nforce + geforce drivers. I think this problem is only with XP + SP2. Counter Strike runs fine.

When i first came into the city i already noticed the walking was slow. Driving cars felt even slower. Framerate was too low, about 10 to 15 i'd guess. I went into the manager and turned off "frame rate limiter". Then it went super fast! So you'd say the 3d system was working ok. I think the problem is with the "frame rate limiter" in combination with SP2.

So i wanted to see what the actual framerate was. I downloaded and launched Fraps. The game all of a sudden played like normal. Smooth graphics with fast car action.

I've also noticed this slow behavior on a friends pc, also with SP2. Running Fraps is only a temporary solution. I'd like to know how to solve it good.

seadog
  • seadog

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:58 AM

Though launching Fraps solves the too low framerate, car response does seems to be a tad bit slower than on a good working rig.

seadog
  • seadog

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:11 AM

Forget i mentioned Fraps. There's a registry key called min_frame_rate in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DMA Design Ltd\GTA2\Screen

Setting it to 1 solved the low framerate. But the car response is still a bit off IMHO.

JDF
  • JDF

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Apr 6 2003, 10:17)
GTA2 runs on my PC in Windows XP Home fine, didn't have to change anything. I just clicked through the warnings about known incompatability issues, it installed and that was that. Aside from very occasional problems with the sound, it runs perfectly for me.

Thanks, I needed to know that. Whoops...I've already sent an email to Take2. Oh well, who cares.

So why exactly, just out of curiousity, does it say there's a compatibility issue?

Is it just that every so often the radio pauses or skips or something (no big deal)?

TheJkWhoSaysNi
  • TheJkWhoSaysNi

Goes into lifts and presses all the floors

• Members

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:28 PM

Heres something that took me a while to figure out. I was trying to run the new downloaded version of GTA2 at 1600x1200 but it wouldnt go above 1024x768 even though 1600x1200 was selected. Turning off special recognition solved this. May be useful to someone.

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:46 PM

The compatibility issue was added by Microsoft since thousands of people were using poorly cracked versions that crashed on XP. Then they clicked the submit error report to Microsoft button. Microsoft received heaps of reports so they added it to known problem list. That's my theory.

tuomas
  • tuomas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:37 PM

i've just downloaded gta2 10.3 patch from www.gta2.com.
i install the patch and try to run it but the thing says please insert correct cd.
i bought the game from a store its not burned or anythin.
help me. cryani.gif

DominionSpy
  • DominionSpy

Man with a plan!

• Members

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (tuomas @ Jan 25 2005, 13:37)
i install the patch and try to run it but the thing says please insert correct cd.
help me. cryani.gif

I had exactly the same problem. I just had to reinstall the game without the path.

~andy
  • ~andy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:44 PM

This isnt really a troubleshooting question but I didnt think I should make a whole new topic for it. How the hell do you change radio stations in vehicles? On the playstation you would just press the up button.

DominionSpy
  • DominionSpy

Man with a plan!

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (~andy @ Mar 17 2005, 16:44)
This isnt really a troubleshooting question but I didnt think I should make a whole new topic for it. How the hell do you change radio stations in vehicles? On the playstation you would just press the up button.

I believe it is F1 and F2 to cycle through the radio stations.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:23 PM Edited by Cerbera, 18 March 2005 - 03:27 PM.

It's just F5, actually. Some cars do not receive all radio stations and some cars only receive one station. IIRC, motorbikes don't receive any radio stations. If you are playing on a new level made by a modifier then the radio stations cars receive could have been set by the modifier, but it will still be F5 to switch station.

F1, F2, and F3 are for sending messages to individuals in multiplayer games with F4 sending to all players in the game. F5 cycles through the radio, F6 pauses the game, F7 has no function that I can remember, F8 toggles the frame limiter on or off, F9 displays the district you are in, F10 displays the last message you received (doesn't repeat kill frenzy messages), F11 allows you to switch resolution and if you used the "porkcharsui" cheat in the PC version F12 will reload the current level.

(EDIT) Remembering what F12 did brought back memories of making my GTA1 cities. I'll be re-vamping them somewhen this year.

~andy
  • ~andy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:58 AM Edited by ~andy, 19 March 2005 - 02:01 AM.

Aha, it's F5 in GTA and F1+F2 in GTA2, cheers. Just got broadband so I downloaded them from R* Classics - don't suppose there are any decent mod sites still going for GTA and GTA2, like codenamegta but for the classics?

*edit* bah, shouldve read cerb's post more slowly, I'll keep an eye on your site smile.gif

gta2lover
  • gta2lover

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

hi. i downloaded gta2 and i got the xp patch alright, but when i start gtas2 it says that it can't load dmaglide.dll wot's wrong?

Surpress
  • Surpress

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (DominionSpy @ Jan 25 2005, 14:14)
QUOTE (tuomas @ Jan 25 2005, 13:37)
help me. cryani.gif

I had exactly the same problem. I just had to reinstall the game without the path.

I tried that, still won't work.

I even tried doing a no cd crack (Which is not warez) but still will not work.

Is there not some kind of fix somewhere for this?

Sektor.
  • Sektor.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:01 AM Edited by Sektor, 05 December 2008 - 02:50 AM.

Try the patch on my site: http://gtamp.com/gta2 but then you will have to copy the radio to the HD or just play without music.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

It works fine on my windows xp. I didnt have to do anything

Mustaine
  • Mustaine

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:31 AM Edited by Mustaine, 07 May 2005 - 10:42 AM.

I seem to have a completely different problem then everyone else here. You guys get error messages and cd-rom errors.

I installed the game (original one), went fine, installed the 103 patch, went fine. Started the game (single player), went fine, but then I play, 5-25 seconds in the game my computer resets/ freezes. I've tried changing compatibility, have the lowest resolution, turning of special recognicion. Nothing really works....

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this problem?

I have XP Home Service pack 2 if that's for any help...

GeneralM
  • GeneralM

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (DominionSpy @ Dec 9 2004, 22:08)
A friend of mine is having a very strange problem.

Every time he starts GTA2 (or Half Life 1 or Fraps) his computer resets.
He's tried getting the latest drivers for his video card (Radeon 9800), using the patch, setting compatibility mode to Windows 98 and some other things. He also has the latest version of DirectX (0.9c).

Nothing has any effect whatsoever. He can play all of his other games (including GTA III and Vice City), but not those programs.

Anyone got any ideas?

i might be wrong but ill give you a couple of pointers.... Check The Pc's Power Supply, The Pc's Internal Memory (SDRAM or DDR) and Check The Videocard.... for the DDR/SDRAM there is Memtest86 "http://www.memtest86.com/" for Videocard i don't have any programs...
I had a Problem with my DDR once and my PC kept Rebooting.... you can also adjust XP to Give a BSOD instead of a reboot so you can Analyze the Error....

ill try explaining in English but bare with me because i have a DUTCH XP so if any of these words are not entirely correct i cant help it tounge.gif

RightClick This Computer Choose Properties
Click the Advanced Tab and Go to Startup and Recoverysettings (at the bottom, Just click the Settings Button)
There Will be an Option in the Next Window that Says "automaticly Reboot The Computer" or something... turn that off..

next time the Computer gets a Sudden Reboot you will Get a BSOD instead (Blue Screen of Death) just write down the Error... and Google it... you will find More awnsers that way

Good Luck!

wind
  • wind

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:56 PM

ok toatally wierd install gta2 play it game is really really slow and clunky so im like hmm turn fps limiter of and its going way to fast for me to control and so then i upgraded to the 1.03 version and still the same thing blush.gif

GTAAustralia
  • GTAAustralia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:31 AM

Does the Rockstar Classics download GTA 2 run on XP Home? If not is there a patch obtainable?

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

GTA2 has always run fine on my Windows XP Home machine. Some modern hardware might not be supported by it properly, though.

w106rrs
  • w106rrs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:50 PM

Is there any way to use a pc controller or a console controller for the pc version of GTA2 or the first one? Any answers will be much appreciated!

Hoju aka spuuurm uzi

Dregz
  • Dregz

Pleb

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

I purchased a Playstation to USB converter from Play.com. It supports original Digital controllers, Dual Shock and Dual Shock 2 setups. Works great on both GTA and GTA2, but you normally need two controllers connected to it - I have no idea why!

There are a few issues with the newer GTA's. I'm still unable to get a complete PS2 control setup for San Andreas on the PC, as I can't assign a button to do a bunny hop on a bike. With Vice City the X and Y axis for the right analogue stick (first person view) are swapped round, I'm not sure why this has happened. I know there are separate utilities to help with this, I just haven't found them yet. Aside from these two problems, it's great.

As for using an XBox controller, so far I have only been able to find PS2 to XBox converters. There must be one for the PC somewhere though.

I haven't found any links for GameCube converters either, but my friend purchased one recently - I'll check where he got it and I'll let you know.

Hope this helps! smile.gif

w106rrs
  • w106rrs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:55 PM

I have a few ps2 controllers so this will work out nicely. Thanks for the help!

hoju aka spuuurm uzi[I] cool.gif

Jsc3
  • Jsc3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:09 PM

Hi,

When running GTA 2, the free download, it runs fine on my XP Home at the normal speed. After between 5 and up to 60 minutes later the game just shuts down - I end up back on my windows desktop without a trace of the game ever running. Can anyone help, I'm hooked but fed up of the same first few missions! suicidal.gif

Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users