Quote (Cactus @ April 02 2003,16:07)
Quote (viperman @ April 02 2003,15:59)
Quote (Cactus @ April 02 2003,03:47)
those logs look ace :) although they look a little high polly

hey thanks for the comments on the models
-the logs (both sets, 6 logs per set) is only 700 poly

cool, only thrice the amount of my track

nah seriously, that pollycount would be fine anyway

Well, after getting on ill's case I feel I should on you as well, VM. :p  We only need 1 stack of logs which we can repeat over the map, so that means you don't need the truncks to be seperate objects.
You could glue them all together, then remove loads and loads of polys because they just wont be seen:

o
 oo
oOo

The big O on the bottom row wouldn't have any of its sides visible at all, so theres a huge saving just leaving it's ends. :)

I do want this to be as low on the polygons as possible, that way the hi-poly cars can be driven round at decent resolutions before the framerate and therefore the physics start getting choppy, spoiling the handling. :)

Viperman
  • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci Racing

Posted 02 April 2003 - 05:12 PM

yeah i know what you mean cerb, ill have to go back into lightwave, sort the polys out etc.

If i can get the finally object to about 300 polys, is that anygood??

:colgate:

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:38 PM

I view poly hacking much performing a limbo demonstration - you just have to keep trying to go lower! :p
Like your sig btw.

I've just made Ill rather a happy chappy.  After giving him the sh*ttiest thing I could think of (the boring railings) I gave him the task of doing a stylish recreation of one of the pubs a mile or two away from me.  All mind games, y'see. ;)
I didn't tell him this at the time, but it's likely to be our flagship building.  As it were.  If we can get a mission coder on board, I know that ill is capable of making an interior so we could make a save point in the toilets or summat! :D

Viperman
  • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci Racing

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:30 PM

burton warnducks, isnt he a great coder??  :D

blargkorn
  • blargkorn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:36 PM

Well this projects inspired me to start work on a lovely Audi Quattro that will look like...sh*t.

Anyway, is there any way of changing the traction on parts of the circuit, eg make the tarmac grippy, the mud VERY slippery and the grass slightly slippery?

BF Banshee
  • BF Banshee

Complete Dumbass

• Members

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:51 PM

Anyway, is there any way of changing the traction on parts of the circuit, eg make the tarmac grippy, the mud VERY slippery and the grass slightly slippery?

I dont know myself but i'm pretty sure that Odie knows something about it.

gta3runscrapforme
  • gta3runscrapforme

Never did get it running well

• Members

Posted 02 April 2003 - 08:30 PM

madje: i didnt expect 5metre roller coaster drops! i thought this weas gonna be a race track not a rally stage.

rackellar
  • rackellar

ViceIsNice

• Members

Posted 02 April 2003 - 09:14 PM

Im loving the ideas cerbera, i know the M3 etc well, even though i live in east anglia (land of no motorways) i do go down the m3 a fair bit. I would be happy to lend u a hand, if u want that is

JJHW
  • JJHW

Foot Soldier

• Feroci Racing

Posted 02 April 2003 - 09:32 PM

Ahhh! East Anglia, I live there!!!! I want to go back to London :(.

Btw Cerb, the Van is going well, I just need someone to make an interior and dummy it up.

Any offers?

blargkorn
  • blargkorn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2003 - 10:06 PM

Thinks back to 2 weeks previous when he was last on a motorway.

Bar the fact theres no central reservation that is f*cking spot on!

Jonny52002
  • Jonny52002

Track Designer

• Members

Posted 02 April 2003 - 10:54 PM

some motorways in other countries have central partitions like that, but english motor ways generally have grass and double motor way bariers in the centre with the ocasional gap to turn round on, which is usally blocked :/

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 April 2003 - 11:36 PM

that's a majestic's highway.
how do you know it's right if you never seen one before :p

and on a side note: If the Rally part in the title stays, i quit

*reads his msn logs*
Sun Mar 09 14:22:46 2003
"Stop talking to me about GTA1!" - Cerbera/Ben: oh, and were you serious about me helping you design a new racetrack?

i'm bloody dead serious about Cerbrera helping me design a racetrack, but not a rallytrack :sly:

PS. there is a 25mb video for those who are bored
Right Click and SAVE AS! mpeg format

Cactus
  • Cactus

Doody ate my mother

• Members

Posted 03 April 2003 - 12:14 AM

can you say "gta: rally" ?  ;)

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2003 - 06:53 AM

Madge, it's a tarmac rally.  Rally doesn't mean it's gotta be WRC cars...think back to the days of the Mille Migne, or even the Isle of Man TT race! :D

EDIT:  This is the France-Monaco road rally through the mountains:
Fan Site
They don't look out of place. :)

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 April 2003 - 07:47 AM

i dont like having RALLY in the name... scares people off.
i dont care what it comes out to be, names are useless :p

blargkorn
  • blargkorn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2003 - 04:35 PM

Multi-vehicle panoramic test track or summin then :) (Note say Multi the American way too, sounds more scientific)

Is that motor actually touching the mountin or not? Drops off the side of it must be fun :D

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2003 - 05:34 PM

As it includes a motorway, twisting mountain roads, winding country lanes and a small village, I suppose it's a whole district that we are actually making, rather than just a rally stage or just a racetrack. :)

blargkorn
  • blargkorn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2003 - 06:58 PM

Just one request if I may, please make a part of the barrier on the twisty bit destroyable :) I would love to plough into it, realise it failed to keep me on the track and therefore plummet off a cliff :) mwahahaha

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2003 - 07:54 PM

I've planned a couple of nice Unique Stunt type affairs involving the breaching of the barriers...but I'm keeping them secret.  We would need a mission coder to put them in though.  I've made an proper recruitment topic as bait, let's hope one bites! :p

EDIT:  Viperman, after a little whipping, has made a wonderful surround for the Memorial.  I've decided it will be next to a church, although I think I'd have to get permission from the reverend or someone to go take pictures of a church. :)

Viperman
  • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci Racing

Posted 03 April 2003 - 08:57 PM

in my rendered pic the bench is "floating". YES i know, but i wasnt going to render a new pic of a bench just moved down. so dont worry it wont be like that in game

blargkorn
  • blargkorn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2003 - 10:10 PM

I don't see why you would need permission to take photos of the church....mind you, you might if you say its going in a game like GTA3 :)

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci Racing

Posted 03 April 2003 - 10:14 PM

Quote (Cerbera @ April 03 2003,20:54)
although I think I'd have to get permission from the reverend or someone to go take pictures of a church. :)

ooh, tell me what you told him :D

nice memorial v-man.

i just drove a lap or two of majera, and after some problems (like how the hell to get a car up there; still not solved  :angry: ), it was a great blast. the flick-flack hairpins are just screaming for a mountain setting, and they're great for handbraking around :)

and how it spits you out from the small country roads onto the motorway is just great. from tiny 2 lane roads onto 4- or 8-laners (cant remember which) is absolutely brilliant. can't wait for this one :)

blargkorn
  • blargkorn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2003 - 10:20 PM

Sounds excellent. Now only if i had a PC that i could play it on :) gah

by the way, could we also be looking at a vice city release too?

Jonny52002
  • Jonny52002

Track Designer

• Members

Posted 03 April 2003 - 10:30 PM

Quote (blargkorn @ April 03 2003,23:20)
by the way, could we also be looking at a vice city release too?

does any 1 know if Vice City uses the same file types (.dff etc) yet ?

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 April 2003 - 10:58 PM

i'm still not sure where the f~ck can you fit 2x2 km area other then mid-air

blargkorn
  • blargkorn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2003 - 11:02 PM

what about those map drawings earlier on? If its in mid air then just sink LC into the ground and build the whole thing as an island

VC doesn't use the same files, uses the same file names with slight changes in the format, but there slight changes mean totally new plugins for everything. Shouldn't be too hard though as long as theres a zmod way of doing it.

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci Racing

Posted 04 April 2003 - 10:16 AM

Quote (majestik @ April 03 2003,23:58)
i'm still not sure where the f~ck can you fit 2x2 km area other then mid-air

how about miles and miles in the air, or miles below sea level?

here's an idea for the magical codey people: put a blue circle mission starter thingie at the top of the stadium steps. when you go in it, it transports you to a room in the majera pit building (which has no exit, but maybe a glass wall or something so you can see the circuit). in there there are 2 blue circles: one for a free run of the circuit, and one for a time trial type thing where there is a timer.

to stop people starting, turning around and driving back over the start line and therefore getting a freaky time, we'd need to put a checkpoint on the furthest part of the circuit from the start line, so you'd have to pass through it.

after stepping in one of the circles, it will warp you to the pit lane, ready to choose your car from the pit garages. to get back to the stadium there'd be yet another blue circle in the pits somewhere or in the entrance lobby of the pit building.

tadaa!

you do know that by pit building, i mean swanky HQ type thing or the building where the commentators sit, or something, right?

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:16 PM

Diesel, that's a great idea if we can't find space for it. :)

However, I was thinking that as I made that huge cut-out in the West there would be some way of rotating it to fit onto the map somehow, if we ran it right up close to the north edge of the map? :dontgetit:

It also reminds me that, once the intersections are done, we need someone to make a temporary style pit lane, kinda like the setup at the Monte Carlo GP.  The pit lane is on the North lane of the motorway, as the track switches from that side to the south going down the first turn.  The pit lane exits over the top of the bridge. :)

Plan of Pit Lane:

Cars go through the chicane on the east, head west down the put straight, under the bridge then do a tight hairpin up the ramp, cresting into a blind right-hander down into the 2-lane road heading south. :)
Pit lane entry is straight on at chicane, braking for the speed trap chicane, with the pit lane line after it's exit.  Pit boxes and garages to the left, then taking the painted lane up the ramp onto the bridge with no more speed limit, left turn over the west bridge over the motorway, rejoining on the outside of the right-handed turn onto the south 2-laner.

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci Racing

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:26 PM

ooh, posty.

Quote (Cerbera @ April 04 2003,15:16)
It also reminds me that, once the intersections are done, we need someone to make a temporary style pit lane, kinda like the setup at the Monte Carlo GP.

well... i'm free :D

god, i can't wait for this. im gonna go drive some laps, woo!  :rah:

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:02 PM

You aren't free at all; you're making a prmfeo tmph-o-smph. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users