Photo

(WIP | GTA3 & VC) Curveshire

595 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:57 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 March 2005 - 07:23 PM.

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Feb 11 2005, 15:48)
You may not have noticed bu Barton is working with Myriad again, although he never left he has been doing the mission coding for us recently.
Ah, thanks for that. A bit off that he didn't make any attempt to tell me that is what he was doing. Now I don't even know whether he will be doing coding for this or not.

(EDIT) Over the past week or two I have been refining the handling and getting lap times for all the vehicles in the GTA3 version. The results are below.
CODE
;Exotic
BANSHEE   3:20
CHEETAH   3:10
INFERNUS  3:03
STINGER   3:05
;
;Executive/Custom
BORGNINE  3:45
DIABLOS   3:40
COLUMB    3:46
HOODS     4:20
KURUMA    3:45
MAFIA     3:25
SENTINEL  3:42
STRETCH   4:35
YARDIE    3:45
YAKUZA    3:02
;
;Off Road
BFINJECT  3:35
BOBCAT    4:30
LANDSTAL  4:13
PATRIOT   3:36
;
;Mass Produced
BLISTA    3:55
CABBIE    4:30
ESPERANT  4:05
IDAHO     4:03
MANANA    4:35
MOONBEAM  4:40
PEREN     4:30
STALLION  4:00
TAXI      4:05
;
;Vans
BELLYUP   5:20
MRWHOOP   5:20
MRWONGS   5:20
MULE      5:20
PANLANT   5:18
PONY      5:18
RUMPO     4:55
YANKEE    5:23
;
;Trucks
BUS       6:10
COACH     5:40
FLATBED   5:40
LINERUN   6:00
SECURICA  5:20
TRASH     6:05
;
;Emergency
AMBULAN   4:55
BARRACKS  5:15
ENFORCER  5:00
FBICAR    3:35
FIRETRUK  4:35
POLICE    3:40
RHINO     5:30
I have not done the Enforcer, Police car or Rhino because the current car spawn script does not unlock their doors.

(EDIT) All vehicles have now been timed and the handling is complete!

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:01 PM Edited by Cerbera, 16 February 2005 - 07:47 PM.

I have finally managed to get the new intersection sketches to a point where I am happy enough with them to go public:

Intersection A (West):
user posted image
full version

Intersection B (East):
user posted image
full version

I have also re-designed the hairpins so that they are not literally the size of hair pins. The spiral you can see in the botom-left of the first image is using the "helixroad" sections for accessing the GTA3 Callahan Lift Bridge from Staunton Island to Shoreside Vale. I have drawn around the inside two lanes because those are the ones which I think turn 19 should be based on.

In the second image, I have slightly redesigned the entry to the pair of long turns so that it will flow a bit better. The first of those long turns was not a constant radius, so I have made adjusts for that as well. The roundabouts on InterB use a larger diameter because the previous ones were too small for long vehicles which a motorway would get a lot of.

(EDIT) I have finally gotten hosting for Curveshire Video #3 which shows the GTAVC development edition. Until I we have a GTAVC script from Barton I do not really want to release it. However, if there is public demand from one or more people and Barton has still not said anything to me, I shall release it with the blank SCM.

The video should be moved to PlanetGTA hosting over the next couple of days.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:53 PM Edited by Y_Less, 09 March 2005 - 01:58 PM.

I have officially joined the team as the new coder.

I have been overhauling the GTA III code (that was an experience - I've never done 3 coding before!).

The code as it stood was not bad, but there were a few things which needed updating (as the latest version had been lost).

The car spawn items also needed moving, not an easy job, for the grid there are 32 icons, each with 3 co-ordinates, thats 96 ones I need to find under the old code. So I re-wrote it using one set of co-ordinates and and 2 variable offsets, e.g:

CODE
co-ord 1: 1, 2, 3
co-ord 2: 1+v, 2+w, 3
co-ord 3: 1, 2+w, 3
co-ord 4: 1+v, 2, 3

There was also a bug with the car spawner, sometimes when you were running and it spawned, it would fling you and kill you. I believe this was due to incorrectly destroyed vehicles, so I added a function to destroy the vehicles right before the next is spawned.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:13 PM Edited by Cerbera, 11 March 2005 - 09:30 PM.

I am delighted to have Y-less on board. I approached him after reading some of the tutorials he wrote. PatrickW has also expressed some interest in helping out later down the line since I have offered to help him out with revamping his site. Y-less can tell you about the current GTA3 scripting progress he has been making but what most of you will probably want to hear is that once GTA3 has a basic script written with a simple time trial mode it will be dropped. Instead, the GTAVC will become the focus of attention until the GTASA PC edition becomes easy to alter and install mods for.

Since the GTA3 version will not be developed beyond where it is now, I have been carrying out lap time testing for all the vehicles in the GTAVC edition and altering their handling so that all the setups are consistant. I have also started a simple IPL mod to create some indoor trials riding obstacles. You may have seen this on TV with the likes of Dougie Lampkin but if you havn't, it is a bit like the Dirtring from GTAVC but a lot more challenging.

So far I have gotten a decent wooden box course set up which is difficult to get over but is possible (with a lot of practise). I intend to put together one made of palettes and a third made of stone benches. This wooden boxes layout is pretty much done::
user posted image
full version

The "woodenbox" model had protruding collision spheres, so I nudged them back behind the faces. This means that an altered "generic.col" file will be distributed with the GTAVC edition of Curveshire. Both GTA3 and GTAVC versions require a modified "object.dat" file because I have made the traffic cones behave more realistically in both additions, as well as prevent the "woodenbox" model from being smashable in the GTAVC edition.

Things are really busy in the Curveshire camp! Getting some landscape modellers back on board to make the intersections and make some course alterations would help to make the next round of releases a lot better.

(EDIT) I've just made and compressed a pair of 7MB videos showing me taking the Sanchez over the course. I have them uploaded on my host but I want to send them to PlanetGTA to be hosted properly before I spread the links around too widely. A few people have already seen them but the rest of you will just have to be patient. biggrin.gif

Derfel Link
  • Derfel Link

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Mar 10 2005, 23:13)
A few people have already seen them but the rest of you will just have to be patient. biggrin.gif

You're a bad, bad man... let's see the damn vidz ^^!

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:50 AM

The videos have finally been uploaded!
  • #4a - GTAVC, wooden box section of the Sanchez trials course. (7MB)
  • #4b - GTAVC, wooden box section again but in the other direction. (7MB)
All these videos are kindly hosted by Jordan from Planet Grand Theft Auto.

Y_Less has not responded to me for about a week now, so I'm not sure whether he is taking a break from Curveshire or has left it completely. He mentioned ages ago that he did badly in an exam but didn't say how exactly this would affect his work on Curveshire.

I've gotten the GTAVC Handling Overhaul almost completely finished with a recorded lap time for every vehicle, so I'll be publishing that in here soon. The GTA3 and GTAVC handling will be released on my site into the Handling Overhaul sections for each of those two editions, hopefully somewhen this week.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

I haven't left, just been busy with work and other projects.

Code update:

I have updated the code to work on the dropped city (previously it dropped you several hundred units and you died).

I also redid the grid code (again). It now runs off global variables (I was trying to avoid this at first, but due to the limitations of OpCodes for local variables in GTA III, I had to convert so it would operate correctly. The entire grid now runs off one set of co-ordinates and a couple of offset dimensions, calculating them all on the fly (this is useful for moving the city or grid if it is ever needed again). The offsets are x difference ($grdspacingx) (the gap between the icons in the x axis), y difference ($grdspacingy) (same for y), and the row offset ($offset) (the difference between the start of each row in the y-axis. I didn't do it for the x as it would have required massive ammounts of work and I cba as its not neccesary). I also (for debugging) added a grid relocation code, whereby if you press 'look behind' on foot it moves the grid to infront of the player, but I disabled this for the standard version with a variable. Finaly on the grid I again attempted to add back the area check so it doesn't have to check all those pickups when the player isn't even near, but again it didn't work, I really don't know why but there we go.

Only other update. I added the text_draw_1_number back into the scm.ini (it wasn't in there as it was not in the PS 2 version, but is in the PC version but was never added, as were a few other OpCodes). I needed this for the speedo, I have currently got it to not crash when you get in a car, but the text still does not appear. I'm going to do a bit of experimenting with this as these are a set of OpCodes I've never used before.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:31 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 March 2005 - 01:32 AM.

On top of the stellar work Y-Less has been doing, we managed to compile the complete list of checkpoint locations required by the Time Trial mode for Curveshire. Took a good couple of hours but we got there! Luck thing my parents were out of town this evening because we only finished just now at half past midnight. smile.gif

(EDIT) Gansta Killa has joined the team this evening, too. He now has hold of the landscape and illspirit's pub in 3DSM format and is going to be trying to get the pub in-game. The role of the pub was to be a save point down in the South of the map, with a small garage to store a couple of cars. But for the time being he will just be trying to get it in-game and maybe fix a couple of texture bugs on it.

We could really do with a landscape modeller to work on those intersections, still.

Carl's Johnson
  • Carl's Johnson

Numa Numa

• Members

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:47 PM

I love the design for curve shire. inlove.gif

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera)
The Starters Guide to Total Conversions will make for sobering reading.  Make sure you take it on board because this project will just be a waste of your time.  Try something less ambitions...

You have posted it round a fair bit Cerbera and I feel it is helpful, I now see that its relevant to this topic. Your part of the way through this mod but not very far, what you do have appears to be good but there has been no progress on teh main part of the mod over the last few months. I don't really see this changing unfortunately either. You should have stopped doing the GTA3 version a while back imo, but its for you to decide. If you get some progress done I feel you will only get halted by the release of SA.

I see you have got Gangsta Killa to help out and maybe this will be of help, good luck with that GK.

It would be nice to see some progress on the map but I unfortunately doubt there will be much to show. Imo people's intrest in Majera has been and gone. Remember Cerbera this is my opinion it cannot be right or wrong. I wrote a very similar post about 6 months back also. confused.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:28 PM Edited by Cerbera, 01 April 2005 - 08:56 AM.

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Mar 29 2005, 22:01)
QUOTE (Cerbera)
The Starters Guide to Total Conversions will make for sobering reading.  Make sure you take it on board because this project will just be a waste of your time.  Try something less ambitions...
You have posted it round a fair bit Cerbera and I feel it is helpful, I now see that its relevant to this topic. Your part of the way through this mod but not very far, what you do have appears to be good but there has been no progress on teh main part of the mod over the last few months. I don't really see this changing unfortunately either. You should have stopped doing the GTA3 version a while back imo, but its for you to decide. If you get some progress done I feel you will only get halted by the release of SA.

I see you have got Gangsta Killa to help out and maybe this will be of help, good luck with that GK.

It would be nice to see some progress on the map but I unfortunately doubt there will be much to show. Imo people's intrest in Majera has been and gone. Remember Cerbera this is my opinion it cannot be right or wrong. I wrote a very similar post about 6 months back also. confused.gif
An opinion cannot be right or wrong? By that "logic" Hitler's opinion that the Jews were an inferior race was neither right nor wrong. Opinions are ideas and as such are subject analysis. Especially when they are expressed publically. monocle.gif

How is a guide written for "starters" relevant to this topic? None of the members of the Curveshire (past or present) team could really be called "starters" since they all had experience of doing what they came here to do. Indeed, the current team are anything but starters. Y-less has been commended for tutorials he was written about the aspect he is here to help with and GK has written a fair few tutorials himself, as well as leading the Tutorials Forum here on GTAF. Indeed, it was him who began that starters guide which you support. My own experience speaks for itself.

Also, I don't understand how the release of GTASA would "halt" the progress of Curveshire. The progress of Curveshire is not run to a strict timetable because my experience has taught me that these projects always take a long, long, long time and progress on them is always erratic. To expect anything else would be rather unrealistic and somewhat naive. Incidentally, I am on the prowl for modellers to join this project and have turned up GK so far. Hopefully more will be to follow. If I cannot get a consistant set of modellers on board before 2006, I will take on the modelling aspects myself. Need to shift through a bunch of other projects before I can commit to learning that, hence I am placing it quite far off.

Thanks for your interest, though. I'm glad you approve of me helping to educate newcomers on the difficulties and immense workload that ambitious modifications for the third generation of GTA editions. It shows you know about the community.

(EDIT) The handling overhaul for GTAVC is now complete! Here are the lap times using it around the development version of Curveshire for GTAVC:
CODE
;Exotic
SANDKING  3:35
PHEONIX   2:55
HOTRING   3:05
SABRETUR  3:00
INFERNUS  3:00
CHEETAH   3:05
BANSHEE   3:10
DELUXO    3:05
COMET     3:10
STINGER   3:20
;
;Executive
ADMIRAL   3:25
SENTINEL  3:25
MAFIA     3:15
WASHING   3:50
LOVEFIST  3:50
STRETCH   5:20
;
;Classic
ZEBRA     3:50
CABBIE    4:10
ROMERO    4:15
GLENDALE  3:50
VIRGO     3:45
IDAHO     4:15
ESPERANT  3:45
SABRE1    3:35
STALLION  3:40
VOODOO    3:45
OCEANIC   4:00
GREENWOO  3:55
HERMES    3:55
CUBAN     3:30
;
;Mass Produced
BLOODRA   3:45
BLOODRB   3:35
REGINA    4:05
PEREN     4:00
MOONBEAM  4:20
TAXI      3:50
MANANA    4:15
BLISTAC   4:00
;
;Off Road
BFINJECT  3:15
WALTON    4:20
BOBCAT    4:10
LANDSTAL  4:05
RANCHER   4:05
DESPERAD  4:00
PATRIOT   3:50
;
;Van
GANGBUR   3:50
BURRITO   4:50
PONY      4:35
RUMPO     4:40
MRWHOOP   4:45
BENSON    5:15
MULE      4:40
BOXVILLE  4:50
YANKEE    5:00
SECURICA  4:35
;
;Truck
LINERUN   5:35
PACKER    5:45
BUS       5:30
FLATBED   5:45
TRASH     5:30
COACH     5:50
;
;Emergency
POLICE    3:25
FBICAR    3:45
FBIRANCH  3:40
AMBULAN   4:35
ENFORCER  4:30
FIRETRUK  4:45
BARRACKS  5:15
RHINO     5:10
;
;Uncategorised
GOLFCART  4:30
BAGGAGE   4:25
;
;Bikes
BIKE      2:50
MOPED     3:10
DIRTBIKE  3:00
ANGEL     m:ss*
FREEWAY   3:15
Have not used the Angel yet but fiddling with the "default.ide" classes should make it spawn as a citizen vehicle so I can use it.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:43 PM

Due to exams at school, my modding involvement is having to be put on hold a bit (as I have previously stated if you saw my other post).

Cerbera has the latest SCM, I will pick it up again after exams (when I will have months of free time), so should be able to get a load more done, but it anyone wishes to work on it till then, they are perfectly welcome.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

It looks like Curveshire will be in hibernation until then, since I do not have time to learn 3D modelling or SCM work and there does not seem to be anyone looking to join this project. Hopefully this break will give me time to finish up some other projects but I will return as soon as I hear word from Y-less or any other interested modders.

ghost_master2000
  • ghost_master2000

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

oh man, looks like this is still going. congrats cerb. Sorry I disappeared on y'all. I got a GF last august and started working more AND going to school, so I kinda lost time for a lot of computer related stuff. ANYWAYS. I'll be doing some modding on SA as soon as some stuff is figured out mod-wise(specifially mission script related).

I thought I'd let you know that I'd be willing to pitch in some code here and there for this if you wanted, but can't dedicate myself to this. I'm not in school for a few months this summer, but still have work and a GF to spend time on, so I've still got limits.

I don't remember if I gave out the code for the script or who you have workin on the SCM atm, but am willing to straighten it up for someone else i f you want.

PM me if you want.

cheers

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

Quite a bit has gone on since you were last active in here, GM2k. smile.gif

After you left I hunted around for SCM'ers and found Y-less and PatrickW. Patrick wasn't available but said he would like to help out with the odd thing here and there now and again. Y-less joined the team fully and did loads of work refining the code you wrote, moving the car icon grid and respawn points, stuff like that. We even started work on a time trial mission after I supplied all the co-ordinates for the checkpoints I thought would be required.

But then he went three weeks without saying a word to me via this topic, PM, IM or E-mail. When I eventually managed to get him on MSN he said he wasn't able to do any more work on Curveshire and wouldn't be coming back for a while. I figured that as there are no modellers or, err, anyone else on the team I may as well put it into stasis until there was a team available to work with again.

I guess that time is now, since GM2k is *sort of* back on the team.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

This is a bit of a bump but I want to make it official: Curveshire is cancelled

Lots of reasons and excuses I can think of but the biggest reason is that while testing and developing my GTASA Handling Overhaul I have found that the quality of the roads and landscape in this game are far, far beyond anything Curveshire was likely to become. An endless variety of massive landscapes, cityscapes and water courses exist in GTASA.

Therefore, the idea of Curveshire as being a challenging, varied landscape for street racing is obsolete, so there is no point trying to develop this project any further. I learnt a lot by working on this and I am proud of my designs and the work contributed by other modders. Other, more feasible projects are what we should concetrate on, though. smile.gif

solo
  • solo

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:54 PM

Isn't there some way it could be used as a mission based map. I don't really know what, maybe time trials, races or something. Seems a shame to cancel after all your and other peoples work confused.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

The reality is that nobody in the modifications community cares enough about this project to put in the amount of time it would require to make progress. The last time anyone other than me did anything to this project was the end of March 2005...that's four months of inactivity. There are no signs of anyone else joining the team, so it's just me. I can't do 3D modelling and since I am starting a website design company, my idea of taking on that aspect in 2006 will be impossible.

It simply isn't going to come to anything worthwhile. I remember giving a similar speech to Monitor57 about the GTA London project. He was wise enough to realise the truth of the situation and cancelled that project. He has since become a highly successful vehicle modeller, as I suggested would happen. My area of expertise in the 3D generation is the handling, general troubleshooting and assisting with new editors. My efforts are best directed there.

The landscapes in GTASA are so much more varied and massive than Curveshire that there wouldn't be much point to it anyway. I've been beaten by the corporation! tounge.gif

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

I've known about this porject since before I even joined GTAF. Sad to see it go, but good to see you bow so gracefully, Cerbera. Maybe you can PM me to discuss curveshire a little? I can't be arsed to look at allllll of these pages just to see what is done already!

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:15 PM

The first post of the topic includes screenshots and the wireframe of the landscape. It also has a series of videos which show how much was done in the GTA3 and GTAVC versions. Basically, we had completed the road sections in 2D with the motorway section in 3D but only had rough 3D intersections for the motorway with 3D pit garages and put wall. There were one or two rough buildings made as 3D models but not exported for use in-game. There was the beginnings of a time trial system with checkpoint locations and there was a vehicle creation grid in the GTA3 edition with a more sophisticated vehicle spawner planned for the GTAVC edition. There was the beginnings of a motorcycle trials course.

In the previous page there are the lists of vehicle lap times from the finalised versions of the GTA3 and GTAVC Handling Overhauls which are available seperately from my website.

RainingAcid
  • RainingAcid

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:31 AM

That's too bad. Say, are you going to release the models for others to use?

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Since I didn't make a single polygon for this project, I assume that you would need the permission of the original authors in order to use their work. I don't think they handed over control of their work to me when they contributed it. The first post contains a list of all the people who worked on the team. A lot of the models were worked on by more than one person, some of whom are not inactive.

I don't think there is anything in Curveshire which could be ported into other mods anyway...it's all rather specific to this design. Might be easier to make new stuff from scratch than to try and modify Curveshire models?

RainingAcid
  • RainingAcid

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:27 PM

Hmm..well I don't know how to make models.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Feb 8 2005, 17:13)
Absolutely, I am never going to stop work on this until it is complete.

rah.gif

madness.productions
  • madness.productions

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:34 AM

Can't you release a uncompleted version...

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:18 PM

We did, for the GTA3 version. The GTAVC version is pretty much the same, apart from the SCM was never completed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users