Photo

(WIP | GTA3 & VC) Curveshire

595 replies to this topic
fredward
  • fredward

still here.

• Members

Posted 26 March 2003 - 11:19 PM

i love the drawing u came up w/ cerb, ver complex lookin tho, but if you could pull it off that would kick ass. i love how it runs thru the town, looks like
(rome i think) in gran turismo.
im behind ya all the way.

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 March 2003 - 06:07 PM

oh and about that drawing - i'll need to turn it into a grayscale heightmap :)

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2003 - 05:26 PM

Quote (fredward @ Mar. 26 2003,23:19)
i love the drawing u came up w/ cerb, ver complex lookin tho, but if you could pull it off that would kick ass. i love how it runs thru the town, looks like
(rome i think) in gran turismo.
im behind ya all the way.

Cheers. :)

Madge and I have come up with a plan on how we're gonna build this thing now.  For the next week or so, madge will be putting together the intersections, running the line of the motorway and doing the chicane bit.  I'll be spending this weekend sketching the FINAL DRAFT for the racetrack.  Madge will then make this as a flat track, make a simply barrier around the outside and then send it to me.  We tweak this first build until I am happy that the straight's aren't too long and the corners aren't too loose.  One we've got the 2D design sorted, then we turn to the 3D. :p
As I design this final draft, I'll be keeping in mind what gradients will be where and how best to use them.  I am very fond of my idea to descend down into the town...I rekon that could look damn fine.  I also like the idea that driving up the ramp on the first turn at the intersection means you'll be looking ahead at the double-hairpin winding up the side of a cliff. :cool:

Righty then, where's a goddamn pencil sharpener...

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 March 2003 - 06:41 PM

click to see in 1280x1024, along with my awesome classic winxp theme :D

right now it's absolutely flat.
each grid square is 50m

Jonny52002
  • Jonny52002

Track Designer

• Members

Posted 29 March 2003 - 07:59 PM

thts a great layout, taking it your going for more or a rally stage theme.

Cactus
  • Cactus

Doody ate my mother

• Members

Posted 30 March 2003 - 12:14 AM

i think its unfinished, wlthough i'm not sure.

P.S. how do you know how big its gonna be in-game? thats my biggest problem as i have a few good bits for GTA3 (mad in max) but i dont know what size to make them?  :/

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 March 2003 - 01:01 AM

of course it's unfinished, it's just a flat piece of road :p

right now it fits in a 2x2km square, although i'm having trouble finding a spot for it....

i'd post some ingame pics (i was getting it ingame to see how it feels and so cerbera can do the heightmap), but there are 2 10 year olds playing gta3 on my workstation now.... so i cant do anything

Cactus
  • Cactus

Doody ate my mother

• Members

Posted 30 March 2003 - 02:24 AM

hehe, when i said unfinished i ment the basic layout of the track is unfinished.

maj, how do you figure out how big to design the track in lightwave? the only way i can think is to guess, then scale it to the correct size, but there must be a more accurate way?   :/

fredward
  • fredward

still here.

• Members

Posted 30 March 2003 - 03:00 AM

sweeeeeet!!!, *runs off to fine tune the honda* time to make my accord into a racecar, lol. this track will rule all.  and its comin along nice.
@cerbera: catch me on msn if you need ANYTHING, i'de like to offer any help i can to make this track as siiick as possible. very nice work, keep it up!!

majestik
  • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 March 2003 - 03:47 AM

yeah it's called the grid  :p

lightwave's coordinates work in meters.... (or you can set it to feet or whatever)

1m in lightwave = 1m in gta3 ;)

Jonny52002
  • Jonny52002

Track Designer

• Members

Posted 30 March 2003 - 10:09 AM

can u do anything like that in zmodeler, setting the grids to 1m size's ? cuase i would really like to know the length of my dragstrip.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2003 - 02:37 PM

I am thinking to get some buildings and street furniture made by other modellers into the project.  I was talking with illspirit yesterday and he says he wouldn't mind adding a few buildings.  If you would like to join the team, get in touch with me - I'm not gonna flood the internet with invitations! :D
I'd also be very interested in some car makers doing a special Majera Rally Edition of one of thier models, or making some rally cars.  I only know of LOAY's Impreza WRC, which I have asked him to re-vamp for this project.
Ideally I'd like some sort of time trial system as well. :)

This afternoon (in about 20mins when the camera has finished recharging) I'll go out building-hunting for the village.  I have a short list of buildings I know of which could work:
  • Newsagents
  • Pub
  • Derelict garage
  • Small hospital
  • Small constabulary (police station)
  • Cottages
  • Small car dealership

I am interested in getting a mission coder type characeter in on this project to do things like making the hospital and police station proper working ones; adding cars parked in the pit garages, at a couple of lay-bys on the rally stage and in the town car parks.  Maybe placing some spectators around the stage as well. :)

All applications to lend help should be made to me through MSN Messanger, click the butterfly below my sig to add me. :cool:

EDIT:  Right, I've got some pictures of possible buildings now.  I have also designed one UNIQUE STUNT for the course.  I've devised another but need to properly plan it. :)

BF Banshee
    • BF Banshee

Complete Dumbass

• Members

Posted 30 March 2003 - 06:56 PM

I can make hospitals and police stations work if that helps, i used it to make a small mod once but i got deleted somehow.

majestik
    • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 31 March 2003 - 11:02 PM

okie guys and girls, i have that big-ass road object ingame.
    cerbera tried it too and we came to a conclusion that gta3 uses some wierd units (codename chimp units)
    of course i knew it all along (well duh! ) but he didnt believe me ;0

now once again portland isnt working and i've traced it to props.ipl - it seems that props.ipl contains some information nessesary for portland to work.

BUT! the wierd thing is that i can move around portland using admin console - just as long as i hang in midair without touching anything - it runs just fine.

once i touch something - boom unhandled error!

wierd...... :wtf:  :dontgetit:

Cactus
    • Cactus

Doody ate my mother

• Members

Posted 31 March 2003 - 11:35 PM

sounds like a col file.

is it possible its so damn big you've "overloaded" the game or the file in some way?

P.S. ta about the grid thing, i thought the game would use everything scaled down to like  1/4 of real units for file sizes.

majestik
    • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 April 2003 - 06:14 AM

in the top view it appears transparent due to how i made it

Opius
    • Opius

General

• Feroci

Posted 01 April 2003 - 11:20 AM

My rough guess at the units GTA3 uses seems to be feet. Try it and see how it feels compared to metres. On the other hand, Vice City units seem to be metres.

majestik
    • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:28 PM

the units are meters.
    as long as you belive that a road lane is 5meters wide

BenMillard
    • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
    • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2003 - 03:11 PM

Heehee, in about an hours time I get to go home and try out the second version of this.
    I notice that you're using the NSX-R now midge.  If you just drive down to the south of Staunton you can fly up to the track from there as well, about a hundred meters south of the road from the Portland bridge. :)
    I am gonna try and steal a load of squared paper from our maths department to do some scale drawings...I've changed where I want the double-hairpin so that it can be used for a Unique Stunt type deal. :p

Jonny52002
    • Jonny52002

Track Designer

• Members

Posted 01 April 2003 - 04:46 PM

are u going to have some small rally style jumps on this course ? water splash might be good too  ;)

gta3runscrapforme
    • gta3runscrapforme

Never did get it running well

• Members

Posted 01 April 2003 - 07:23 PM

aahhhhh gay, i thouhgt this was gonna be a proper race track, now its a rally track! dont get me wrong it looks cool and i WILL be downloading it but theres like loads of race cars about and no track to race em on and there like 1 or 2 rally cars!

well done so far tho

Diesel
    • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci

Posted 01 April 2003 - 07:48 PM

not all rally tracks are covered in thick layers of mud/snow/whatever...
    <points pointy teacher cane at monaco and san.. remo, is it?>

BenMillard
    • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
    • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2003 - 08:22 PM

San Remo is the french one isn't it?  That's a tarmac one.
    Corsica is a tarmac one in the mediteranean, it inspires some of the cliff hairpin ideas. :)
    Monte Carlo is a tarmac one but there tends to be snow around.
    British Rally has a couple of tarmac sections, they don't really inspire much for this.  However, the actual roads and villages around where I live do. :)

Also, bear in mind that this is a tarmac road and we've decided to make the lanes pretty wide so racecars can fit round it alright.  I got a 3min 14 using the NSX-R today, slowly learning the track.  I wonder just how long it is anyway?

Illspirit is making some railings, which are complete and here's the promo pic:

Scale is dead-on. :p

ViperMan has made some tree truck barriers:

And also will be making my local WWI war memorial.
    He's now made the war memorial:

That's two fine models.  He's certainly earned his place on the team! :p

This post will be updated as the new objects listed here are made.  (saves spamming the hell outta my own topic. :p)

Jonny52002
    • Jonny52002

Track Designer

• Members

Posted 01 April 2003 - 09:12 PM

omg cerbera tht wood looks ace, puts my bank to shame :( and WWII memorial is good idea too

Cactus
    • Cactus

Doody ate my mother

• Members

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:47 AM

those logs look ace :) although they look a little high polly

WHAT!?
    • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
    • United-States
    • Best Member Named after a Stone Cold Steve Austin Catchphrase

Posted 02 April 2003 - 03:22 AM Edited by WHAT!?, 23 March 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Well I just happend to wonder across this but it is looking really great... am I correct in assuming it will be above the city like in those test screenies?  Or will it be placed at ground level... I personally think it would be best to open up one of the tunnels in SSV and start the rally there... and maybe bring the track around the back of the dam so it would create a kind of inland lake  cool.gif maybe you could create some new terrain so the back of the moutian and tunnel wont look hollow? ...anyway it looks cool!

UDgBsnP.png

BenMillard
    • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
    • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:52 AM

You can thank Viperman for giving us all wood.  OMG, I mean...err...arg! :*(

Err, anyway...I got the railing model from Illspirit this morning, but I can't stick together a promo image for it.  I thought he would of - and maybe he has - but I've not seen it round sos I can't post it yet.
    Viper was working on the war memorial last night, its rather more complex then a pile of tree trunks though. :p

Viperman
    • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:59 PM

Quote (Cactus @ April 02 2003,03:47)

hey thanks for the comments on the models

-the logs (both sets, 6 logs per set) is only 700 poly
    -the war memorial is only 350-400 polys if i cant remember right

anyways i was talking to illspirt on MSN, and he sent a pic of the raillings, they look really good.

ill let cerb do ther pic up loading

Cactus
    • Cactus

Doody ate my mother

• Members

Posted 02 April 2003 - 03:07 PM

Quote (viperman @ April 02 2003,15:59)
    Quote (Cactus @ April 02 2003,03:47)

hey thanks for the comments on the models
    -the logs (both sets, 6 logs per set) is only 700 poly

cool, only thrice the amount of my track ;)

nah seriously, that pollycount ould be fine anyway :)

majestik
    • majestik

Boris the Bullet-Dodger

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 April 2003 - 03:27 PM

the logs look good because they have bump map ;)

i will try to bake the map so it looks like that ingame :p

and gta3runscrapforme: right now it feels like a proper race track, and since i'm modeling, dont expect 5meter rollercoaster drops

Right now it's half high-speed and half wiggly country roads :pp

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users