Photo

Nostalgia

19 replies to this topic
Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I was feeling nostalgic for some old playstation games so I set up the ps1, when the startup sound played I got this pang of nostalgia and wanted to recapture some of that old magic.
Spoiler

So gen chat what makes you nostalgic, makes you remember the good old days. Be it gaming, tv or movies, collectibles, a certain time in your life, etc. Just to note nostalgia isn't limited to a long time ago, you could be nostalgic for something from a few months ago even.

I recall people here reminiscing about the built up to Gta V on the forums, how the sense of excitement was palpable, people eagerly awating new news, similar to the RDR2 section at the moment.

So Gtaf what makes you feel nostalgic?

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Big Homie

• Facade Corporation
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by DOUGL4S1, 2 weeks ago.

This video, it was probably the first video I ever saw on YouTube, at least that I can remember. Back when gaming companies were against pesky YouTubers putting videos of their beloved games online. I'm actually surprised it managed to not get deleted.

Also this song. Anyone who has watched an YouTube tutorial around 10 years ago will know why.

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Neon_Dreaming, 2 weeks ago.

This video, it was probably the first video I ever saw on YouTube, at least that I can remember. Back when gaming companies were against pesky YouTubers putting videos of their beloved games online. I'm actually surprised it managed to not get deleted.

Good vid. I remember spending many hours watching San Andreas videos. A lot of them were accompanied by this tune.
https://youtube.com/...h?v=TKfS5zVfGBc
Edit- You beat me to it.
  • DOUGL4S1 likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Big Homie

• Facade Corporation
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

Good vid. I remember spending many hours watching San Andreas videos. A lot of them were accompanied by this tune.

Edit- You beat me to it.

Either that or they were like this.

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

The xfiles theme and San Andreas myths. That's peak 2008 right there.
  • Rougarou and DOUGL4S1 like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mexico

Posted 2 weeks ago

:')
  • Rougarou and Neon_Dreaming like this

Menstrual Deranged
  • Menstrual Deranged

I'mUrMomNow

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Menstrual Deranged, 2 weeks ago.

Many things make me nostalgic because I'm old. 

The good ol' sound of dial-up internet and hoping someone in the house didn't pick up the f*cking phone:

Remembering my first cell phone (I was a freshman in college):

motorola.jpg

The first console I remember best:

3dp_minines_original_NES-e1443687733893.

I played Atari as a young child but never got that into it. Got the original NES for Christmas when I was 12 and played Super Mario all day long.

• HolyGrenadeFrenzy and Lucy_Woooolfe like this

robotman5
  • robotman5

PC/XB1 Gamer

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago

Anyone remember using MSN Messenger? 

i honestly miss signing onto it and talking to online friends/family on it... :panic: 

Short Stay
  • Short Stay

Two legs good, six legs better

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Short Stay, A week ago.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Inttelix
  • Inttelix

is a

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Inttelix, 2 weeks ago.

Anyone remember using MSN Messenger? 

i honestly miss signing onto it and talking to online friends/family on it... :panic: 

This was a good thing. It is all on mobile phones now.

I am one who used MSN for long time. Now everyone has mobile apps. It is very strange. 

When I get a nostalgia it is when I see a big brick block PS1 with Gran Turismo 2 or when I play Top Gear for the Super Nintendo. 007 Goldeneye I still have it and the N64 so I play it when I have time to take it from the box, unplug everything from the TV, plug all the N64 cables, and blow the cartridges. Which is almost never.

There is a similar topic going on Technology forum: http://gtaforums.com/topic/905697-could-you-survive-a-week-using-only-2000s-tech/ 

Could you survive a week using only 2000s tech?

• robotman5 likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted A week ago Edited by Algonquin Assassin, A week ago.

-Dial up internet tone.

-90s cartoons like Ren & Stimpy, Pinky & the Brain, Johnny Bravo, Rocko's Modern Life, Biker Mice From Mars etc.

-Video stores. With Netflix and other online streaming it's been about 4 years since I actually rented a physical movie. It's even more nostalgic thinking back to the days of VHS tapes and having to rewind them.

-Trying to master a yoyo.

-Slinkies.

-Getting excited to get a new toy in a McDonald's happy meal.

-Speaking of which having birthday parties at McDonald's.

I'm not implying those last couple of things are something I still do. Or do I? *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

Anyway I really could go on. I miss my childhood so much. :(

Nico
  • Nico

Meet the new boss

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Nico, A week ago.

Despite all the sh*t my family went through in the early-mid 2000's, I miss those days anyway. Mainly because of the cartoons, the videogames, and not having the constant pressure of not knowing what to do with your life.

What I do not miss are my experiences at school, my classmates (f*ck all of them, nasty assholes) and my lovely behavior when I was a noob on the internet around 2007.
  • Star-Lord and GTA_CAT like this

The_Human
  • The_Human

GNU/ Member Title

• Members
  • Mars

Posted A week ago Edited by The_Human, A week ago.

-This stunt video. It's the only reason I found modding. Eventually, I found this forums and now I'm a part of a great community.

-Territory War flash game. I remember playing this game all day long during my 5th grade summer vacation holidays.

-Stunt videos of video games.
-Jazz Jackrabbit

VenomDYOM
  • VenomDYOM

Crackhead

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Ukraine

Posted A week ago

-Silent Hill (my favorite game of all time plus I still play it)

-Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (This one was in my old computer on Windows XP)

-Windows XP (My favorite windows of all time, I still have it though on my other computer and I am making some batch codes there)

-Ukraine (This country was my birthplace in Kiev and we stayed 3 years in Chernobyl and we moved to Skopje, Macedonia)

-Natural disaster movie (The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Twister were my favorite movies in the 2000's plus I still love them)

• Rougarou likes this

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • Romania
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 5 days ago

The past will make me feel nostalgic no matter how bad it might have been. I mean, it's ironic how I know right now that I'll be nostalgic about this moment although I don't feel like anything's special and nothing amazing is happening around me anyway.

To materialize the nostalgia with an example, I'd say I miss the years of 2010/2011 when I was really at the peak of my Internet presence and I was deep into gaming. I also miss 2009 when I was deep into the Internet and was discovering it. But I mostly miss the year of 2014 when I had my first love and is by far the happiest year in my entire life. I still remember places, songs, feelings, moments, dates, etc. Now that's gone, long gone, but I still walk around those places alone, listening to those songs, remembering anniversaries, moments, and attempting desperately, yet quietly, in my head, to recreate a present from those memories, yet it's impossible. 

I guess nostalgia is built around moments when we were really happy, and we only feel nostalgic if whatever moment we're in isn't making us as happy as we used to be. That's why we are nostalgic about the childhood, because we were so young and naive and easier to make happy, and now we're too logical and everything can be explained and seen objectively that it's lost all its' magic. Technically, we're nostalgic of our own ignorance.

Ai®aCob®a
  • Ai®aCob®a

Ban Roulette Winner 2017

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Solomon-Islands
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 5 days ago

Many things make me nostalgic because I'm old. 

The good ol' sound of dial-up internet and hoping someone in the house didn't pick up the f*cking phone:

Remembering my first cell phone (I was a freshman in college):

Nokia-3310.jpg

The first console I remember best:

3dp_minines_original_NES-e1443687733893.

I played Atari as a young child but never got that into it. Got the original NES for Christmas when I was 12 and played Super Mario all day long.

I can relate to every single one of them except switch the cell phone with a Nokia and that was my kiddo, teen and high school years

Nintendo - Coming home from school and playing Super Mario Bro all day til supper

AOL Dial Up - Coming home from school and running straight for the computer and listen for that final sound that told you the vault had opened and you are now Online (I never got any e-mail) and then spending all day and night chatting with girls in chat rooms and trrrrrrying to look at boobs but the 56k modem so slow it took an hour just to show half a nipple and that was only if mom didn't call and kick you offline to check and make sure you were doing your homework

Nokia Cell Phone - My first cell phone was a pre-paid Nokia and I spent so much money on minutes on it because of texting my girlfriend after 9pm when she wasn't allowed on the phone anymore (]i]This was before the free calling/texting after 9pm deal[/i])

• Menstrual Deranged likes this

JON22
  • JON22

FECK U ALL >:(

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago Edited by JON22, 5 days ago.

Nights, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, Sega Rally Championship.

Managed to get them all back, and a boxed Saturn. I don't play them. I just keep them for memories.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

fashion
  • fashion

Do not be sorry. Be better.

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mars
  • Most Desperate For a Ban 2017

Posted 5 days ago

Star-Lord
  • Star-Lord

Freelance Outlaw And A Great Dancer l

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago

I miss gaming at the Arcades with my old friends from school. Skating at the roller rink on weekends for only $5. Miss drive-in theaters and so forth.
  • Night Machine likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users