Photo

What is your cornering technique?

5 replies to this topic
scorpioxdragon
  • scorpioxdragon

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by scorpioxdragon, A week ago.

I know this is dependent on the actual car for the most part, but I'm curious in general how people choose to take turns.

I usually have Franklin take new cars out to his LS shop, mod them up and drive them over to Trevor's airfield and drive them around the runway a bit. (there are a LOT of cars I really don't like in this game BTW).

So I know some people prefer to drift, and some prefer to just slow down before entering the turn.

Lately what I've been doing (due to THIS game's physics, not real life):

-accelerator always fully down

-e-brake + normal brake, and hard steer into turn

-release e-brake right before revs bottom out

-release normal brake and release steering when the car is lined up

When I do this I get a nice V shape turn, the engine doesn't completely bottom out, and I have full revs almost immediately. Again, I never let off the accelerator at all so the only time I'm losing speed is in the actual turn.

If it's a really sharp turn, I'll counter steer a little after both brakes are activated and immediately turn back in. I end up with a nice P shape turn, but the engine slows down a little more and doesn't pickup as fast, but nowhere near as slow as if I were to do a traditional drift.

I don't traditional drift because I noticed the engine slows way too much especially on sharp turns and is really slow to pickup to full rev again.

Braking before the turn does the same thing for me. It's more controlled, but again, engine slows too much coming out, and unless I'm missing something, there is no way to down shift.

Does anyone else do this or just me?

Also this is mostly on a Zentorno, it's my preferred car.

EDIT: forgot to clarify, I'm referring to in city and street racing, not on race tracks.

FukNRekd
  • FukNRekd

Rekd Um

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Ireland

Posted A week ago

The Zentorno seems laggy to wind up RPMs no matter the method. Lack of manual shifting amplifies this. Your method feels nice but lap times don't show any real improvement.

In fact, the way the car (AND CAMERA VIEW) pitch sideways when you apply the ebrake is very unsettling to say the least. I've almost gone off twice doing that.

That in mind, I straighten out corners as much as possible. Wide turn in while braking, hit the apex without hitting any wall (tap ebrake on u-turns) and start accelerating then wide out full on the throttle.

scorpioxdragon
  • scorpioxdragon

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by scorpioxdragon, A week ago.

The Zentorno seems laggy to wind up RPMs no matter the method. Lack of manual shifting amplifies this. Your method feels nice but lap times don't show any real improvement.

In fact, the way the car (AND CAMERA VIEW) pitch sideways when you apply the ebrake is very unsettling to say the least. I've almost gone off twice doing that.

That in mind, I straighten out corners as much as possible. Wide turn in while braking, hit the apex without hitting any wall (tap ebrake on u-turns) and start accelerating then wide out full on the throttle.

dangit I should have clarified, sorry about that. I wasn't talking about track racing, just city/freeway. Also mostly talking about U turns. I only mentioned the airfield because that's where I go so I can test out the cars without banging them up in the city or in traffic. There's a wide U at the outer part of the runway and a sharp point at the hangar side.

I use the Zentorno mostly for the supposed armor superiority over other supers, as well as it's nice off-road and mountain climbing performance. It's helped me out of a lot of tough situations. 4 star wanted or ballers etc. It's also very well grounded and doesn't spin like a top if you get bumped by something (like a LOT of other cars do).

In the city or in a street race I don't usually have the luxury of an open track, so turning in a small intersection while weaving between cars, is kinda more what I was trying to address, again sorry about that.

Completely agree, on a race track, I will take wide turns as well.

As for the camera... so I guess I'm just weird, but I always manually rotate the camera the opposite direction when I take sharp turns and U turns. When I first started playing it SEEMED like this affected the actual movement of the car. I tried it a bunch of times A B, and came to the conclusion that whenever I rotated the camera myself, my turning radius seemed smaller... so I kinda just got used to it and do it unconsciously all the time now LOL. I'm guessing it's a point of reference thing that psychologically affects my timing.

FukNRekd
  • FukNRekd

Rekd Um

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Ireland

Posted A week ago

LOL, oops. City driving is way different and a lot more exciting in my opinion (and WAY more frustrating when not doing it for fun).

Point and shoot as quick as I can. I am usually going way too fast for the conditions and am paying too much attention to asshat NPCs to try and shave a few milli-seconds off a corner, but like racing I will absolutely use the entire road and take them as wide as possible, including but not limited to using sidewalks etc or bouncing off a building or car.

To u-turn on a 2 lane road I'll pitch it sideways, hit the ebrake to spin around and accel out. Sometimes I don't quite make it and bang in to a building or car or whatever.

R.E. the camera thing... I fly a lot of helis and for the longest time thought the heli lost altitude when I moved the camera down. Turns out it doesn't but the phenomenon is real. Same thing when you're doing doughnuts in a car and panning the camera around at the same time. Seriously feels like the car is spinning way faster. Would be interesting to do some tests with known turning radii with straight camera views and with adjusted camera views. My guess is there is no difference.

For the record, I wish I could, but I have not been able to successfully corner or fly when moving the camera in the direction I want to go (dog-fighting especially, it's a must if you want to be good). Admittedly I haven't tried for more than a few minutes at a time but it's hard for this old brain to make it work. Just like PvP using this damned pad, I want a mouse and keyboard but don't want to play on PC. :)

• scorpioxdragon likes this

scorpioxdragon
  • scorpioxdragon

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I agree a camera test would probably show no difference, but the brain reacts differently if the same information is given in a different way, so maybe that's translating to how people drive.

I just drove around some more trying to figure out why I rotate the opposite direction (other than I've been doing it forever) and I'm pretty sure what's happening is the counter camera rotation allows my brain to disconnect the car from the turn, which sounds dumb, but I realized when I do this I actually focus on the turning point instead of the car, almost like the car isn't even a concern until I'm coming out of the turn. And for some reason I can take the turns better that way.

Also I only drive in 3rd person. I feel like 1st person driving is too forgiving.... plus I can't see the cool car I'm driving LOL.

FukNRekd
  • FukNRekd

Rekd Um

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Ireland

Posted A week ago

Oh, I missed that you're counter-looking. That would f*ck me all up LOL.

I do 3rd person when it's real busy (lots of cars around) or when I am in a tube. Otherwise I like 1st person because, as in F1 racing, I am closer to the action (the turns) and the reaction times are much better for me. Also, I set my 3rd person camera to hood instead of cockpit. That way I'm not blocking my view of the area with the door jams, hood/roof and windows etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users