PC Monitor Recommendations

12 replies to this topic
Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hi all! I don't post much outside of Vehicle Chat but I've decided to venture out to get some advice on what monitor to buy. I tend to build a new PC every 3 years or so, and in between my builds, I don't tend to keep up to date on new tech developments.

Ideally, I'd like to get a monitor that matches the aesthetics of my build but at the same time can take advantage of the hardware I have.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x

Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB 3200Mhz

Cooler: Deepcool Captain 120EX RGB

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 3TB

PSU: Corsair SF600

GPU: MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Air Boost 8GB OC

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift

I don't have much time to game anymore, and when I do I tend to play games like; Football Manager, Stellaris, Cities Skylines, Empire Total War, Rome Total War, etc. 

Thank you in advance for any recommendations you guys may have!

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Ännu en dag, ännu ett slag, i betongens krävande skugga

• Sheriff
  • European-Union
  • Best Poster in Debates 2017
    Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 2 weeks ago

Asus ROG Swift P279Q, Acer Predator, or AOC Agon depending on your colour scheme tastes.
  • Outcast likes this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 2 weeks ago

Thanks Sivis, is there anything a bit less...gamer-ish?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Ännu en dag, ännu ett slag, i betongens krävande skugga

• Sheriff
  • European-Union
  • Best Poster in Debates 2017
    Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm not aware of anything that's GSync and 2K IPS which isn't gamery. What I did with my ROG Swift was remove the base and replace it with a proper high quality steel adjustable base:

2zjfi8h.jpg

Make it a bit less garish.
  • Outcast and SilverRST like this

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago Edited by Dealux, A week ago.

If you don't care about FreeSync, you could go the AOC or DELL route (both look good and seem to offer good picture quality).

• Outcast likes this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted A week ago

What exactly is FreeSync/G-Sync? Is it absolutely necessary if I don't really play the newest AAA games?

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Well, those FreeSync\G-Sync panels offer higher refresh rates which improve the game play experience obviously but with these adaptive sync technologies you eliminate tearing and input latency pretty much completely and you won't experience any sudden FPS drops due to your GPU attempting to sync up with your monitor (FreeSync enabled monitors simply drop the refresh rate to match the FPS in the game).

With traditional v-sync, there are two major performance penalties. One is input lag, which is about 20-30 ms (you can experience the lack of it by disabling v-sync completely on regular displays) which is not insignificant, and the other is that any FPS drops will be severe due to the fixed 60 Hz refresh rate (refresh rate has to be able to divide by FPS in order for GPU and monitor to sync up, so you will experience drops as low as 30 FPS in some games with v-sync depending on how many buffers are used). Without v-sync you won't incur any of these penalties on a regular display (non FreeSync) but you will get tearing (two frames being displayed at once).

FreeSync monitors aren't that expensive honestly. It might be worth investing in one, especially for fast paced gameplay. You will fall in love with the smoothness of the experience. Traditional v-sync is pretty bad actually.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted A week ago

I really like the way the AOC Q2781PQ looks. Anything with a similar design that also features FreeSync? 

I assume I'd be looking for a monitor with FreeSync to take advantage of the Vega 64?

Azazel
  • Azazel

🌵

• Sheriff
  • None
  • [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Car
    Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted A week ago

I really like the way the AOC Q2781PQ looks. Anything with a similar design that also features FreeSync? 

I assume I'd be looking for a monitor with FreeSync to take advantage of the Vega 64?

FreeSync really only comes to its right at lower frame rates, so unless you're planning to really push your hardware with some AAA-titles, you won't notice much of a difference. That being said, FreeSync comes at much less of a premium as opposed to G-sync, which can bump the price point of a display by obscene amounts.

Try taking a look at LGs range of monitors, some of them are fairly neutral looking.

EDIT: If you're keen on going 4K, maybe something along the lines of the LG 27UD68-W? It's 'only' 60Hz, but that's fine for the type of games you play I'd say, looks clean and simple, has a lovely IPS panel with nice colours, FreeSync, etc.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

It's not as stylish (stand is different) but it does have thin bezels, 144 Hz IPS panel with FreeSync.

FreeSync really only comes to its right at lower frame rates, so unless you're planning to really push your hardware with some AAA-titles, you won't notice much of a difference. That being said, FreeSync comes at much less of a premium as opposed to G-sync, which can bump the price point of a display by obscene amounts.

Given that most 1440p FreeSync monitors run at high refresh rates it will come in handy. Flawless reproduction of frames with negligible input lag and just wonderful performance (his GPU is not bad and should handle high refresh rates).

BTW, if you're not a fan of the stand you can get a fancier 100 x 100 VESA one.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted A week ago

Ok, so I ended up at my local PC mall just to check out the selection they had and I made an impulse buy of an MSI Optix MAG27CQ.

It seems to have everything you guys suggested to me, but it does look a tad too gamer-ish. Might have to go Sivis' route and change out the base for something a little classier. 

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, A week ago.

it doesnt look "gamer-ish" to me, the leds are in the back so they are hidden, and i wouldnt call a red trim on the base gamer-ish

you can always wall mount the monitor and get rid of any sort of stand :)

this on the other hand :p

ROG-Strix-XG258Q-XG27VQ-XG32VQ-001.jpg.5

• Outcast likes this

Audi
  • Audi

AИТRАХ

• The Yakuza
  • Mexico
  • Most Improved Member 2017
    Best Turbo Quattro 2017

Posted A week ago

I really love my Dell S2417DG 

2560x1440, 165Hz, 1ms and GSync. Adjustable height, angle and can be used vertically. But it's a TN panel not IPS. Also available in 27"

old pic

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users