Quantcast

» «
Photo

The best next GTA game that will never be made - some ideas.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic
Reichenberg
  • Reichenberg

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Hungary

Posted 2 weeks ago

The best GTA game that would totally rock, but never will be made.

Hey everyone. Im a first-timer here. I played with many GTA games over the years. I have always been intersted in how to make games better. Here are some of my thoughts.

Nowadays, there is a big buzz about GTA VI. Of course, nobody knows anything significant for certain (as of May 5th anyways). This serves as a good occasion to share my thoughts about how a good GTA should look like. I am gonna say it right here right now: the more fanservice, the better.

I think there is a grave misunderstanding when it comes to the GTA genre.  GTA is a very popular and succesful game, but I think with its over-reliance on story, to the detriment of gameplay, it sort of ran out of steam (I am talking about single player, not GTA online). In order to revitalize it, we need a complete reimagining of the whole series plus some other games, into one game. Take the best out of each game and distill it into one.

The following are my ideas, mostly how they popped into my head, with minimal editing.

• First. Bring back the taxi, police, emergency and firefighter missions, like they were in GTA3. This way, the player can earn money without doing any main story mission at all.
  • The radar would be similar to GTA3. Some objects and goals would only be visible, when the player is near.  This would make you learn to memorize the map. A big map would perhaps be available, after completing a certain number of missions. Map size does not matter in itself, as long as there are enough things to make the people occupied. When you make a big big city or countryside without many interesting things in it, you just created a desert (literally and metaphorically) with huge empty spaces without much to do.
  • Let's bring back gang wars, like it was in San Andreas. Every part of the map could fall under some gang. There would be four main gangs. Blacks, Latinos, Asians and Whites. There can be even more, based on certain ethnicities (Japanese, Irish, Russian, etc). Firstly, you would be a freelancer, occupying territories for another gang for money. Later, you could take over a gang of your liking (or maybe create a gang on your own?), and just occupy the whole city/cities, becoming the kingpin. Or, completely sit out the whole thing. Your choice.
  • There would be muggers with knives, whom you could kill with some knife-fighting skills. Redirecting their attack and stab them with their own knives.                                                                                                    
  • The driving mechanics should be a mix betwen gta3 and gta5. Gta4 specifically has really screwed-up driving.
  • Succesful stunt jumps would give you money, similarly to gta3.
  • The overall graphics should be a mix between gta4 and gta5. The point is user-friendliness here. No one should need a f*cking nuclear plant to run this game. Gta3's graphics holds up even today, in some respects, and its 320 megabytes. This is a modern madness, that every blade of grass should have 4k resolution. This is very much present in gta 5, hence the 60 GB of its size. Nonsense.  I am gonna exaggerate a little to get my point across: cars with gta5 graphics and cities with gta 3 graphics would work. I think there is an overemphasis on world detail design. When it comes to weather effects (rain, fog, maybe snow, sunrays)  and car lights and the cars themselves, these would be of the highest quality, though. The way the rear tires whip up dirt and rain and perhaps snow would be just amazing.
  • This is more or less what i have in mind (San Andreas remodels): 

• You could add nitro boost to your car, similar to Need For Speed Underground 2. Avoiding collisions would add some nitro to your nitro meter.

Protagonist backstory: single protagonist, US citizen, ex-military, did a few trips in Afghanistan and Iraq. Suffers from mild (or severe) PTSD. Somewhat muscular. Just came home. Needs adjustment. Noone employs him. A friend introduces him to some shady business. Before he knows it, he is running drugs and guns.

In the early missions, the player could take out loan sharks and debt collectors, people that make lives miserable. A silenced pistol would be introduced very early on, as an optional weapon, á la Hitman-style. There would be missions to help old ladies, taking out the (literal) garbage for them, and so on.

There could be some PTSD-induced hallucinations, like fighting on a battlefield or something, similar to when Trevor is high in GTA5.

I dont have much against the storylines of the GTA games, but I will say this. GTA5 is unnecesary brutal, Trevor is just a f*cking psychopath  - for the sake of being a f*cking psychopath. No higher meaning, nothing. I have the same against how sexuality is depicted, maybe Im being old-fashioned, or just simply moral. BTW, GTA3 handled prostitution fine.

Customization: cars should be customizable like San Andreas, the protagonist should be customizable regarding his race (skin color) and his face – beard, hair, eye color, nothing too specific. You would have more freedom in dialogue with diverging paths, similar to the Witcher 3, although not as deep of course. Basically there would be 2 main paths, a good path and a bad path, with a good ending and a bad ending. The good path would see you reintegrate into society, the bad path would see you becoming a mafia boss. It would maybe even convey some ethical message, some kind of a purifying experience, not something Rockstar is famous for. Gta ’heroes’ are all just glorified thugs anyways, with zero or minimal character development.

Several motifs could be copied from Just Cause 3, such as the Grappling hook, off the top of my head. That is a good game. Racing elements could be copied from Burnout Paradise and Need For Speed Underground 2, I can go into more specifics in the comments. People who know these games know what I'm taking about.

I think the biggest problem with Rockstar games and GTA is that they tend to misplace the emphasis. Playing GTA should give you the freedom to be what you want, earn money the way you want, and become what you want. Instead, GTA presents us with pre-set and largely predestined characters, with very specific - and completely unnecessary – backstories. The more the character is a blank slate in the beginning, the better you can identify with him. He can develop later characteristincs, based on the decisions you make for him.

GTA games during the years have become more and more sanitized, politically correct (left-leaning). I think the underlying motive here is to avoid identifying with the lead character too much, because they fear that you would to these things in real life as well. In this respect, the best game from the series was GTA3. San Andreas was able to get away with a lot of edgy and risque stuff, because the protagonist was a negro. The multiple protagonists for GTA5 also served this purpose (not identifying with the main character).

Of course this reimagined GTA would be very politically NOT correct, hence it will never be made.

I watched this video about "Top 10 Things We Want to See in GTA 6". I will only focus on the points I find worthy of commenting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikD7hPL81k0

• I totally agree with the demand of removing needless fillers. It just shows what i previously mentioned: the lack of ideas on the part of Rockstar. When you force people into doing something, the enjoyment is simply lost.
  • I also agree with more interiors, although this is not as important.
  • I agree that MOD support should be a big thing.

I also watched this one: "GTA 6 - 15 Things We WANT To See".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQMQ4vTav0c

• "more mission variety" - I dont have any major problems with the missions in GTA games per se - apart from boring fillers discussed above, and those can be simply scrapped.
  • "better side activities" - right on the mark, although this is part of a bigger problem - that is what my article is all about.
  • "destructible environments" I think they overemphasize this. The base game should be interesting as it is. Perhaps you could destroy buildings as part of missions (pre-scripted), these should be enough.
  • "customizable houses" - a few basic house and furniture designs would be enough. What looks good to the eye. In our modernist age, people think that each and every one of us is a unique special snowflake with totally individual needs. False. There are simple standards of beauty - of course these are lost a nowadays. one thing i wil say though: house interiors should be of the highest resolution textures. house interiorsy come with a loading screen anyways, so this is totally doable, creating a mini-world for them.
  • player stats and deeper character customization - I agree. Either when it comes to outside look (face, hair, musculature) or character traits (stealth, melee combat abilities etc).
  • "multiple protagonists" - just when i thought they got something right, they screw it up spectaculary LOL. No. The better you can identify with  single lead character, the better the whole experience is. The whole multiple protagonist-thing is just an attempt to muddy the waters, so you couldnt identify with a single character. Next time, Rockstar should make a GTA with a hippie commune or with Social Justice Warriors LOL. Nonsense. Mark my words though, the next GTA will be more left-leaning than anything you have ever seen before. O'Sullivan's Law.
  • Better NPC-s - debatable. NPC-s were good as they were in most GTA games. There should be more of them, granted, but they were mostly good as they were.

I feel that both of these vids are largely missing the point, and they focus on little derivatives, instead of the big picture.

What do you think? Tell me in the comments.

Noale
  • Noale

Got baguettes?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Rgx4o5s.jpg

• Lock n' Stock, E•MO•TION, Zello and 1 other like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Big Homie

• Facade Corporation
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

TL:DR: "I modded the hell out of GTA San Andreas and now I want to turn GTA into a mix of Saints Row, Just Cause, Burnout and PTSD hallucinations."

• universetwisters and Lock n' Stock like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

brb sitting in my 85 Skylark as it idles in the garage

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2017 [GTA: Underground]
    Best Map 2017 Contribution [Liberty City Countryside]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago

>GTA is becoming more politically correct (left leaning)

Care to share some examples? I doubt the constant barrage of n-bombs in IV and V help your argument
  • Lock n' Stock likes this

Reichenberg
  • Reichenberg

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Hungary

Posted 2 weeks ago

>GTA is becoming more politically correct (left leaning)

Care to share some examples? I doubt the constant barrage of n-bombs in IV and V help your argument

Sure. All radios with political content (talk radios) in GTA 4 and 5 are mockeries of right-wing radios. No left-wing mockeries though. Why?

GTA4 -WKKT Radio -Bastion buddies, Justice Grady

GTA5- Blaine County Radio

In GTA4, you have to perform a lot of tasks for Niko's gay friend, including defending him from a "gay-hater" LOL.

Females are always catered to, there is zero alpha male behavior, men are mostly submissive in relationships.

Saying "ni**er" in itself amounts to what? San Andreas had a black hero, GTA5 has one, too.

The whole character development of protagonists in general is lacking. I have no major issues with the missions, I have issues with tho whole character development arc - the total lack thereof. One should be able to become the city kingpin, or some other major figure. Why cant we do it? In mafia 3, you sort of can. Im not saying mafia 3 is a great game, because it isnt.  Negro protagonists just ruin games, simply becuse white gamers identify with heroes at least similar to them.

TL:DR: "I modded the hell out of GTA San Andreas and now I want to turn GTA into a mix of Saints Row, Just Cause, Burnout and PTSD hallucinations."

From an older-style but still good graphics perspective (without tens of gigabytes of textures), San Andreas was the best, and that is all there is to it. i havent played with Saints Row, but I heard the first 2 games were good, and it later became too ridiculous. Hallucinations are already in GTA5, adding PTSD-related ones would be nothing.

And you oversimplify. Details do matter.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Big Homie

• Facade Corporation
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

^ That went full racist, homophobic and machist really quickly.

• universetwisters likes this

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

Carcer City bound!

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hallucinations are already in GTA5, adding PTSD-related ones would be nothing.

Read up a bit more about PTSD, you'll find that its less "wow I'm flying through the air like a leaf cause my son doped me" and more "this is familiar oh f*ck I'm under threat lets act out in the stupidest of ways because I'm literally back in the trauma inducing moment."  Or thats just person experience talking, so unless these proposed hallucinations end with the protagonist committing suicide or having to do mental ward mini games like trying not to climb the walls, I don't think there is a tasteful way of doing it, especially if the protagonist is a war vet.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

brb sitting in my 85 Skylark as it idles in the garage

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2017 [GTA: Underground]
    Best Map 2017 Contribution [Liberty City Countryside]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago

Sure. All radios with political content (talk radios) in GTA 4 and 5 are mockeries of right-wing radios. No left-wing mockeries though. Why?

Did you forget about PLR in GTA 4 and WCTR in GTA 5? They were both left wing stations.

In GTA4, you have to perform a lot of tasks for Niko's gay friend, including defending him from a "gay-hater" LOL.

3 is "a lot"?

Females are always catered to, there is zero alpha male behavior, men are mostly submissive in relationships.

I dunno man, Ashley in TLAD wasn't always catered too. Same with Kate.

Saying "ni**er" in itself amounts to what? San Andreas had a black hero, GTA5 has one, too.

I highly doubt a game company leaning as far to the left as you claim it is would write a character who's pre-mission monologue is ALWAYS WORKING FOR GUINEAS ALWAYS WORKING FOR n**ers ETC ETC without making him the main antagonist.

Negro protagonists just ruin games, simply becuse white gamers identify with heroes at least similar to them

Idk man then if that were really the case then San Andreas would be as obscure as GTA 2.

tbh I dunno if you're actually racist or if you're just dumb because you live in a part of the world where the only black people you see are on television.
  • Lock n' Stock, Furry_Monkey, straightupmenace and 1 other like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Aurora Creek, Oregon

• Sheriff
  • Portugal
  • Best GTA Series Historian
    Best Contributor in Rockstar Games 2017
    Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yeah, let's nip this in the bud already. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users