Photo

RDR2 Trailer #3 - Analysis and Discussion

353 replies to this topic
VolumeRX
  • VolumeRX

Trick

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by VolumeRX, 2 weeks ago.

The new trailer looked very good on my 4k tv. Video quality is best on Rockstar games website.

Although it is true, It's still only 1080P there, not even 1440P, I suppose that the PS4 Pro gameplay video will feature atleast 1440P though! if not checkerboarded 4K and be rendered as 4K in Youtube and the website

VolumeRX
  • VolumeRX

Trick

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by VolumeRX, 2 weeks ago.

I've re-watched the trailer looking at the technical aspects.

As I predicted previously, the game received a pretty severe downgrade since Trailer #1.

While I applaud Rockstar for using what seems to be entirely in-game footage in this trailer, it's somewhat depressing.

- Drastically diminished particle FX (fire, smoke, debris)

- Environmental FX removed (e.g.: mud trail following wagon)

- Drastically reduced foliage

- Volumetric FX reduced on train engine plumes

- Static skyboxes

They're using some smoke and fog and fly over birds in many of the frames to obscure draw distances and create the illusion of a more dense frame.

This game is probably two months away from full-on testing so I'm not anticipating too many changes. We saw some crisper textures and minor character changes when GTA V was sweetened up but that's about it from what I can recall.

It looks pretty damn good for an open world game. But a PS5 re-release down the road would be nice.

I'm not too sure how some of these things can be assumed as severely downgraded since trailer 1. Trailer 1 had very carefully selected shots at the games best angles and lighting. Some things just can't be compared until the final game and/or similar environmental shots are given.

Drastically diminished particle FX (fire, smoke, debris)

Fire to me looks about the same if not better in trailer 3. Any examples in particular?

Not true. Because of the low texture filtering of the ground it's hard to see but look close at 59 seconds. Also at 1:22 look at the ground.

In what way? Not sure how that's possible to know as we haven't seen many of the trailer 1 areas again.

It appears to have the same volumetric behavior as trailer 1. Just a lot less overall smoke. Besides we don't get a good stationary view of it in trailer 3 like we did 1. Just very quick shots.

- Static skyboxes

Not sure I understand what's wrong here. Many missions may have predetermined times like GTA V where the game advances time for that mission. Also i mean many of the sky shots look similar to trailer 1. They even kept in a similar starry night.

I think overall it looks the same as when they revealed tbh. They just need to work on the texture filtering and AA. I do hope they kept in a lot of the sun rays as seen in trailer 1 and 2. Also hoping there can be some dark nights with little moonlight.

You are simply failing to realize or atleast to accept the facts that he's stating, I noticed that too, the game looks still great, but you can't be that blind.

Someone else mentioned that on another forum:

https://i.redd.it/7xsrwuqvfjv01.jpg

I was looking at the GTA V's date trailers release and kind matches with RDR2's.

GTA V         |      RDR2        |

Nov 2, 2011    | Oct 20, 2016  | 1° trailer 
Nov 14, 2012  | Sep 28, 2017 | 2° trailer

Apr 30, 2013   | May 2, 2018   | 3° trailer (Michael, Franklin and Trevor)

Jul 9, 2013      |          ?            | 4° trailer (Gameplay)
Aug 29, 2013  |          ?            | 5° trailer (Launch Trailer)

So we can expect a trailer between July and August for gameplay and between August and September for the launch trailer... or not. haha

Note: Man I notice rockstar removed the second GTA V trailer from yt and their site. o.o'

Nice chart there! I personally think we'll get something else, and AFTER that, we'll get Gameplay. especially since the jump there between last trailer and gameplay is 3 months, yet here they said May and next month, so It's only 1 month jump. I wish we would get gameplay but something tells me we'd have to see 1 more thing and then gameplay will follow.

Especially since they've mentioned that in June we'll get more info, and the game's Special Editions details.

• ArTuRMV likes this

Relax.
  • Relax.

Solid Snake: You've got a great butt

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Relax., 2 weeks ago.

As I predicted previously, the game received a pretty severe downgrade since Trailer #1.

While I applaud Rockstar for using what seems to be entirely in-game footage in this trailer, it's somewhat depressing.

- Static skyboxes

They're using some smoke and fog and fly over birds in many of the frames to obscure draw distances and create the illusion of a more dense frame.

This game is probably two months away from full-on testing so I'm not anticipating too many changes. We saw some crisper textures and minor character changes when GTA V was sweetened up but that's about it from what I can recall.

It looks pretty damn good for an open world game. But a PS5 re-release down the road would be nice.

I'm not too sure how some of these things can be assumed as severely downgraded since trailer 1. Trailer 1 had very carefully selected shots at the games best angles and lighting. Some things just can't be compared until the final game and/or similar environmental shots are given.

Fire to me looks about the same if not better in trailer 3. Any examples in particular?

Not true. Because of the low texture filtering of the ground it's hard to see but look close at 59 seconds. Also at 1:22 look at the ground.

In what way? Not sure how that's possible to know as we haven't seen many of the trailer 1 areas again.

It appears to have the same volumetric behavior as trailer 1. Just a lot less overall smoke. Besides we don't get a good stationary view of it in trailer 3 like we did 1. Just very quick shots.

- Static skyboxes

Not sure I understand what's wrong here. Many missions may have predetermined times like GTA V where the game advances time for that mission. Also i mean many of the sky shots look similar to trailer 1. They even kept in a similar starry night.

I think overall it looks the same as when they revealed tbh. They just need to work on the texture filtering and AA. I do hope they kept in a lot of the sun rays as seen in trailer 1 and 2. Also hoping there can be some dark nights with little moonlight.

You are simply failing to realize or atleast to accept the facts that he's stating, I noticed that too, the game looks still great, but you can't be that blind.

yeah the first trailer is just showing off the world and the engine, im okay with the downgrade as it's likely not rockstars fault, the console is the limit here 

VolumeRX
  • VolumeRX

Trick

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 2 weeks ago

- Static skyboxes

- Static skyboxes

yeah the first trailer is just showing off the world and the engine, im okay with the downgrade as it's likely not rockstars fault, the console is the limit here 

It is true, especially the BASE PS4, I suppose the Pro will support a higher resolution, and goddam hope that it will atleast have Anisotropic Filter, but since it's a very low performance costing effect, the Base one should've had it too.

Still, some people can interpret that as misleading. and alot of games do that, show way better graphics that what you get and they end up misleading you which is a wrong thing to do

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by NYC PATROL, 2 weeks ago.

- Static skyboxes

I know that scene doesn't look too hot due to the texture filtering, I'm just giving my opinion on his opinions. Possible it's even base ps4 footage. But I still see subtle signs of carriage marks.

Also, just a note at 1:14 in the trailer to the right of Dutch quickly before he moves in front of it, there's a slightly higher quality mud texture than we saw 20 seconds earlier in the same town. Hope Pro, X keep it more consistent.

http://pool.stream.g...023_1080p30.mp4

VolumeRX
  • VolumeRX

Trick

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 2 weeks ago

- Static skyboxes

I know that scene doesn't look too hot due to the texture filtering, I'm just giving my opinion on his opinions. Possible it's even base ps4 footage. But I still see subtle signs of carriage marks.

Also, just a note at 1:14 in the trailer to the right of Dutch quickly before he moves in front of it, there's a slightly higher quality mud texture than we saw 20 seconds earlier in the same town. Hope Pro, X keep it more consistent.

http://pool.stream.g...023_1080p30.mp4

It is base PS4 footage, but then again, all 3 trailers were confirmed by Sony as on Base PS4 footage. the one at 1:19 looks better because it's much close to you, AF improves the textures looks especially from further away, I'll give an example:

https://qph.fs.quora...7432556e8cff6-c.

See? whatever's pretty close to you looks fan, but further away will look dead and flat, just like that town scene.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by NYC PATROL, 2 weeks ago.

The only upside is that when playing we aren't going to be as close to the screen as we are when watching the trailers. Most of us I assume watched it on our phones or laptops. So distant ground textures might not be as noticeable. But still hope to see it improved with pro.

Red Dead Rebel
  • Red Dead Rebel

You have to love yourself a fire

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why did they decide to show off base PS4 footage?

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Coolest GTA Member 2017
    Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why did they decide to show off base PS4 footage?

Because that is the system that most players have, so the most accurate representation of what the game will look like.
  • UltraGizmo64, mombo2811 and LegacyKillaHD like this

ghostly dude
  • ghostly dude

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm hella curious who these guys are and what their significance is.
U25lsON.png

Uncle in the middle. 

Harriet Tubman on the right.

Drunkard ✝

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by 1898, 2 weeks ago.

^

Been wondering about them also.

A few wild guesses:

Dude on far left - educated New York dandy looking for adventure

Woman holding the lantern - the Ma Barker of the gang

3rd guy from right -  European immigrant

Safari
  • Safari

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hey guys i was just watching the trailer again and just before John appears there's someone who say's "get out here" as he proceeds to draw the knife on John, after this it cuts to a scene of Arthur who seems to be looking out of a window and watching this happen. So my point is, who was holding John hostage? Will Arthur have to save him? possibly sacrificing himself?

I doubt it, when watching the trailer John has fresh scars telling us that this occurs towards the beginning of RDR2 we can tell this because other screen shots show john with old scars so clearly Arthur doesn't sacrifice himself for john and if he does its defiantly not when john is held with  a knife to his head.

TjMM3T2.jpg

​

cpGLNST.jpg

• UltraGizmo64 and VolumeRX like this

TheDon1223
  • TheDon1223

"Get three coffins ready..."

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Lp1ikV5.png Balls still in game lol

grow up.

Lighten up :p
  • SeniorDerp likes this

Drunkard ✝

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Watched the trailer again and noticed all of the characters that appear to be looking right at us:

0:43  Sadie

1:15 Native American

1:17 Dude wearing the derby

1:27 Lenny

1:28 Too many to mention

1:40 Dutch

1:46 Old lady holding the lantern and 2nd from right

BUT THE BENZ
  • BUT THE BENZ

How much for the benz?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 6 days ago Edited by BUT THE BENZ, 6 days ago.

is there a transcript of dialogue somewhere to read? I have a rather hard time understanding pieces around the middle of the trailer

I want to take my spin on the lines....like arthur's "we're more ghosts than people"...reflecting that onto R* and real life etc

btw is arthur possibly john's father?

chadpc
  • chadpc

Player Hater

• Members
  • Greenland

Posted 6 days ago

is there a transcript of dialogue somewhere to read? I have a rather hard time understanding pieces around the middle of the trailer

I want to take my spin on the lines....like arthur's "we're more ghosts than people"...reflecting that onto R* and real life etc

btw is arthur possibly john's father?

Listen to me, we don’t want to kill any of you... But trust me, we will.
Wake 'em up a little!

This whole thing is pretty much done. We're more ghosts than people.

You have got to keep faith. They will not crush us.

Good old Dutch, my best friend... You know how we met?
A pair of hucksters trying to rob each other… Back in '78 or thereabouts.

You have to love yourself a fire. It's one of the blessings.
Sure, we can have fire... And we can have the knowledge of fire...
But with that comes the knowledge of everything.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a robbery.

Sons of Dutch
Makes us brothers
Sometimes, brothers make mistakes.

You'll never change. I know that.

All of you venerate savagery... And you will die savagely.

Get out here!

Stay strong. Stay with me.

You have to love yourself a fire.
  • Exkabewbikadid, joshua969, UltraGizmo64 and 1 other like this

eighthdoctor
  • eighthdoctor

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 6 days ago

dswhtlO.png

Here, Arthur is killing Old Guy after burning down the Ginger Gang's mansion.

Damn I love this shot.  :inlove:

• Mr. Morgan likes this

pjw
  • pjw

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago

Dutch with a full beard?

01KNtOY.jpg

• Cutter De Blanc, UltraGizmo64, YoungMarston and 1 other like this

tsto
  • tsto

Connoisseur of sorts...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago

^Hmm, interesting find. I think it's hard to tell for sure due to the shadow casting on his cheek, but it also looks like his hair might be longer (I may be wrong here)

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 3 days ago

doesn't Dutch wear those rings on his fingers?

tsto
  • tsto

Connoisseur of sorts...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago

doesn't Dutch wear those rings on his fingers?

Sorry, I meant it's hard to tell whether his beard really is longer and it also might seem like his head hair might have grown longer.

mombo2811
  • mombo2811

You'll walk... WITH A LIMP!

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

After watching trailer 3 many many times this just keeps bothering me! How Leeny pulls back his arm while aiming for he bank employee. It just looks so unnatural and weird??

Drunkard ✝

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago Edited by 1898, A day ago.

After watching trailer 3 many many times this just keeps bothering me! How Leeny pulls back his arm while aiming for he bank employee. It just looks so unnatural and weird??

Not at all. He's got 3 lbs in his right hand, the left is the counterbalance. If you ever handled one if would make more sense.

In fact the more I watch it the more natural it looks.

Lenny's got his sh*t together.
  • Cutter De Blanc and Nick Testbranch like this

Dangerous and sad
  • Dangerous and sad

"The crow no longer sings to me"

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 14 hours ago

"We all know Rockstar doesn't care about single player, this trailer is false advertising!"
Uh, lol. Maybe this proves otherwise? Haha. The Benz is gone. The Benz is the one who was pushing for GTAO and didn't want to work on SP DLC when the Houser Bros did. Their development director didn't want to work on SP DLC. Let that sink in. The Benz' new studio/company is developing a f*cking multiplayer game. The rest of Rockstar has been working on RDR2 while they've had a small team work on GTAO and keep it on its last legs.
Pretty silly to say that 100% for a fact Rockstar doesn't care about SP. Still can't say it now until the game comes out and we see how RDR2's SP is, but it's looking hopeful.

See what you mean but explain lack of online dlc content coming to SP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users