GTA 5 lost "that GTA feel"?

107 replies to this topic
Domac
  • Domac

Snitch

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 2 weeks ago

I know that this will probably be moved to the official whine and complain thread, but hear me out, I think many people will agree with me on this.

GTA V has changed a lot from the other GTAs, some new features were introduced (three protagonists, having more weapons from one category, e.g. two shotguns, basically you never have to replace weapons now), the UI has drastically changed (weapon wheel, radio wheel, rectangular radar, etc.), the controls are way more complex than they were in the previous GTAs, etc.

But did GTA V change so much that it lost the original GTA feel to it?

GTA V seems like a simplified "kids/Hollywood version" GTA, it is too easy. You never have to replace weapons, you don't lose weapons when you run out of ammo, the special character abilities, too many heists, in the end you get a sh*tton full of cash, etc. GTA V feels like it is some kind of a superhero game with some GTA elements thrown into it at some points. It just doesn't feel like you're playing a GTA game anymore.

Something else I want to mention: you die too easily, and the car explosions
I don't know what happened, but you can die too easily in GTA V. Jump from a small building and you're dead. Get run over by a car, instant death.
The car explosions are not what they used to be. Now if a car explodes next to other cars, the other cars will instanly explode too, they won't catch on fire first like they used to.

GTA Online is a whole another story, it's like Saints Row now, not even mentioning it.

Was the GTA franchise ruined by GTA V and its "new features"? Tbh I hope the next GTA won't have those features and that it will feature the old GTA UI (and GTA 4's AI and physics).
  • Lioshenka, Algonquin Assassin, Masny and 15 others like this

Masny
  • Masny

Member Since 16 Feb 2007

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Masny, 2 weeks ago.

I have the same toughts. 

GTA V doesn't really feel like a GTA game. If someone would give me this game without telling me the name - I would have really hard time guessing. Sometimes it feels like cheap GTA parody

• theGTAking101, Maibatsu545, Ya Boy Punk Fan and 2 others like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Was the GTA franchise ruined by GTA V and its "new features"? Tbh I hope the next GTA won't have those features and that it will feature the old GTA UI (and GTA 4's AI and physics).

If anything, GTA V redeemed the franchise after the 2008 debacle. GTA V is more reminiscent of the wild, unbridled fun of San Andreas. Thankfully, Rockstar learned a lot from IV's terrible mistakes. I do think that there are some flaws in V. I do agree that you die to quickly in V. But I had the same problem with IV back ten years ago. But IV was worse, because while you may not have died quite as easily as you do in V, your enemies were MUCH MUCH harder to kill. I am playing through the Episodes (or trying to summon the interest to continue) and one of the first things I noticed in TLaD, reminded me of IV. Johnny definitely is more resilient to gunfire than the V trio, BUT  the enemies are so much harder to kill that in essence, you really do die easier in IV than V during a gunfight.

Not a complaint, just saying that because of the buffed enemies, compared to V, shootouts make it easier to die in IV and the Episodes. If I actually liked the game(s) this might be a good thing.

But V improves on SO MANY things. I will grant that there are still too many similarities that V shares with IV, and if I had my way, V would be even more reminiscent of San Andreas than it is. But you can't have everything!

• SmokesWithCigs, Hot Pursuit and Am Shaegar like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 2 weeks ago

IMO It definitely did, and it really feels they tried to mimmick SA in a lot of ways, but failed miserably. Still the game has is own merits though.

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

garou the badass hero hunter from one punch man.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

gta 5 feels like a gta to me. and like others have said it feels more like an hd gta sa. they brought so many vehicles from that game back. basically they made the game more fun. while i love gta 4. there were times that i got bored playing because the map was small and not as many things to do. and just because gta 5 has a different feel compared to the way you like gta. dosent make it any less a gta game for us gta 5 fans.

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

If anything, GTA V redeemed the franchise after the 2008 debacle. GTA V is more reminiscent of the wild, unbridled fun of San Andreas. Thankfully, Rockstar learned a lot from IV's terrible mistakes. I do think that there are some flaws in V. I do agree that you die to quickly in V. But I had the same problem with IV back ten years ago. But IV was worse, because while you may not have died quite as easily as you do in V, your enemies were MUCH MUCH harder to kill. I am playing through the Episodes (or trying to summon the interest to continue) and one of the first things I noticed in TLaD, reminded me of IV. Johnny definitely is more resilient to gunfire than the V trio, BUT  the enemies are so much harder to kill that in essence, you really do die easier in IV than V during a gunfight.

Not a complaint, just saying that because of the buffed enemies, compared to V, shootouts make it easier to die in IV and the Episodes. If I actually liked the game(s) this might be a good thing.

But V improves on SO MANY things. I will grant that there are still too many similarities that V shares with IV, and if I had my way, V would be even more reminiscent of San Andreas than it is. But you can't have everything!

Really?

I am playing TBoGT right know, compared to V; it is really hard to die in a gun fight. Because NPC aim is really bad and exaggerated ragdoll physics makes killing easier once you shoot someone.

If you don't take cover in V, you are simple doomed. However in many occasions you can survive in IV.

Also V fits 3D GTA era more than IV. It is more like true successor of GTA SA

Big Map (City & countryside & underwater)
Lots of vehicles & vehicle variety
Ability to buy properties
Planes
Overtop missions
sh*tload of clothes, haircuts, tattoos
Ability to modify vehicles
  • ChiroVette, Hot Pursuit and Am Shaegar like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I disagree.
GTA V actually brought back a lot of GTA feel back, that was missing so far in HD era. I am not going into a full fledged explanation, since ChiroVette has summed up nicely already.

GTA V seems like a simplified "kids/Hollywood version" GTA, it is too easy.

Well, GTA games are primarily meant for kids. They are the actual target for the developers. All that pretense of being mature, deep and serious, really doesn't work in a GTA game, as evident from the success of GTA V by appealing directly to GTA fans who were deeply disappointed with the previous offering.

.. and feels more like it is some kind of a superhero game with some GTA elements thrown into it at some points. It just doesn't feel like you're playing a GTA game anymore.

This needs to be elaborated at least with some examples, because I actually felt V to be more closer to playing a GTA game than its predecessor, which felt like "GRAND THEFT AUTO" was on a vacation, and got replaced by GRAND BOREDOM instead.

Something else I want to mention: you die too easily, and the car explosions
I don't know what happened, but you can die too easily in GTA V. Jump from a small building and you're dead. Get run over by a car, instant death.

This, I have to agree. From the technical standpoint, RAGE certainly feels underutilized, or rather downgraded in potential for a much better experience in terms of physics, explosions effects, weapon sounds, shooting, etc. RDR was a great game in this regard.
Its likely due to the lack of consoles capability to pull off the same results in a much more complex game like GTA V. I think the blame lies on the consoles than the game, because the modded GTA VICE experience actually feels a LOT better in utilising all the best qualities of the RAGE engine, which also requires more processing power to deliver.

GTA Online is a whole another story

Yeah. I really hate Online. It actually took away a lot of the potential from GTA V. Very bad decision by R*

Was the GTA franchise ruined by GTA V and its "new features"?

Not really. Online did. And even before Online, the franchise got ruined by another GTA that GTA V tried to bring it back with the style and design of the great 3D era GTA's,though not without its share of problems, unfortunately.
  • ChiroVette and Hot Pursuit like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 2 weeks ago.

Really?

I am playing TBoGT right know, compared to V; it is really hard to die in a gun fight. Because NPC aim is really bad and exaggerated ragdoll physics makes killing easier once you shoot someone.

If you don't take cover in V, you are simple doomed. However in many occasions you can survive in IV.

No, I didn't say you die easily. In my entire time in TLaD, I have gotten through everything I have done so far pretty easily, with a few notable exceptions. For instance, some of the gang wars as I got up toward 50 of them could get a little hairy. But that is mostly because the cover system is awful compared to how refined it is in V. Johnny feels clumsy, slow to get into and out of cover, and he seems to have a difficult time a lot of the time shooting from cover. Not always, but enough so that I often have to leave cover and use natural cover of obstacles (not the cover system) while mopping up some enemies. I would agree that you can die a little too easily in V. My only point was that enemies really feel buffed compared to the ones in V. You may have missed it, but I also mentioned that Johnny takes a lot more abuse before having his armor and health eaten away. So there seems to be at least some mitigation to offset the buffed enemies.

As I said, also the cover system in TLaD feels really buggy and not smooth at all.
  • Hot Pursuit likes this

Domac
  • Domac

Snitch

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Something to add:

The storyline of GTA 5 isn't as memorable as it was in other GTAs. The characters aren't either, e.g. Devin Weston was a bad antagonist, not memorable at all. I think Brad betraying Michael and Trevor would've been much better. Look at GTA:SA's storyline, it was golden (with some minor flaws to it).

The new, modern weapons... dear Lord. Why didn't they put the AK-47, Glock, and some other memorable weapons in the game? The new weapons look like they are from space or some sh*t, idk

The old Euphoria ragdoll from GTA IV, that sh*t was f*cking awesome. Pushing people of ledges? I remember doing that for like an hour, legit, and the outcomes were always different. GTA V doesn't really have that good ragdoll, it's kind off like they put 20-30 different falling animations into the game, while GTA IV had random animations.
You can take the falling animation. In GTA IV your character would spin in the air, or just fall without many motions, depending on how you fell (from a heli, building, etc.). In GTA V your character will always end up falling in the same was it always does, waving his arms and legs facing the ground.

I hope that the next GTA will be set in an earlier time like the 70's or something, because then R* probably wouldn't throw in all this futuristic bullsh*t they did in GTA Online.

korhan332
  • korhan332

Peon

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by korhan332, 2 weeks ago.

not gta 5, gta online lost gta feeling rockstar trying to create saints row experience in a gta game :/

and rockstar bringing story dlc to the online  we have one example right now and it is doomsday heist it was supposed to be in singleplayer not online 

• ChiroVette likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

not gta 5, gta online lost gta feeling rockstar trying to create saints row experience in a gta game :/

and rockstar bringing story dlc to the online  we have one example right now and it is doomsday heist it was supposed to be in singleplayer not online 

I agree that GTAO is not the GTA I know and love. It could have been, had Rockstar not used it as a platform to destroy all meaningful SP support.

• Darealbandicoot and Hot Pursuit like this

Domac
  • Domac

Snitch

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 2 weeks ago

I agree that GTAO is not the GTA I know and love. It could have been, had Rockstar not used it as a platform to destroy all meaningful SP support.

Sadly, R* is all about money now, everything is, this world is going to hell, like wtf.

Before, we loved R* for the awesome games, everyone did, kids and adults.
Now, only kids love R* for the ulta-mega-super-didIsayultrayet-awesome-epic atomic-hydrogen-TSAR bombastic launching motorcycle built-in cannon updates.

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yeah, V singleplayer was trash. My only hope was the story DLC would add some depth to it but sadly GTAOnline took a gigantic dump on those hopes.
  • CartmanKusanagi likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Sadly, R* is all about money now, everything is, this world is going to hell, like wtf.

Before, we loved R* for the awesome games, everyone did, kids and adults.
Now, only kids love R* for the ulta-mega-super-didIsayultrayet-awesome-epic atomic-hydrogen-TSAR bombastic launching motorcycle built-in cannon updates.

I actually don't mind all of that Online insanity. Because I love the over the top stuff, and thought that GTA started to become much too grounded in realism. Hell, I would even embrace online in its current form, with all its wacky and fun looking updates and I would even be willing to grudgingly accept the arguably corrupt freemium business model Take2 has adopted.

The problem is that Rockstar created a breathtaking, expansive world in GTA V. A game which is arguably one of the greatest single player games in history (even factoring out online all together) and then abandoned it, not only breaking all their pre-release promises, BUT slapping the SP GTA customers in the face by not adding any meaningful updates to it. Now its all about milking the cash cow for every dollar. Meanwhile, they could have at least balanced or compromised by continuing SP support, even if it was abbreviated, and still have the majority of their team focusing on Online. That is, to my way of thinking, the biggest heartbreak of V. Taking a game that, just in its release form, improved so much on the franchise since the previous installment. A game that is amazing fun with a beautiful map and a gripping, fantastic story and characters that just stopped.

Now if this were 2005, no problem. DLC wasn't really a thing back then. But in this day and age when you so transparently abandon such a wonderful SP game just to milk the freemium Online whales, it really gives one pause.

• Hot Pursuit likes this

Hot Pursuit
  • Hot Pursuit

Response Code 3

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Indonesia
  • Super Snitch Deadass 2018

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Hot Pursuit, 2 weeks ago.

I have the same thought about GTA IV, it doesn't feel like a GTA game

GTA IV gives Very little challenge because the mission are too repetitive and easy, and the mission are either generic shootout, generic car chase, "deal gone wrong" that turn into generic shootout and/or generic car chase. Unlike previous GTA which the mission has variety and give some challenges, and each mission feels unique

GTA IV also Removed features from previous GTA that makes it fun, such as tanks, planes and cool weapons

GTA IV has horrible reward system. While V reward still doesn't as great 3D GTA, it still much better

GTA IV has horrendous PC port, while 3D GTA PC port is rather weaker than Console (except III), it still miles better than IV, glad V PC port push PC capability to the limit

I'm glad GTA V redeemed the GTA Franchise, after GTA IV failure
  • ChiroVette, SmokesWithCigs, .Smaher. and 3 others like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Singing: "You've lost that GTA feeling, Whoa oh GTA Feeling; You've lost that GTA feeling, now its gone, gone, gone, gone, gone...."

Hahahahahahaha

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• SmokesWithCigs and Hot Pursuit like this

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

If someone would give me this game without telling me the name 

That sounds like a complete exaggeration, and lie. Anybody that doesn't even know GTA V exists would most definitely think it's a GTA game, if anything, than just a clone. 

• ChiroVette and Hot Pursuit like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

If someone would give me this game without telling me the name 

That sounds like a complete exaggeration, and lie. Anybody that doesn't even know GTA V exists would most definitely think it's a GTA game, if anything, than just a clone. 

Totally agree. Glad you called the OP on his strange hyperbole!

• Hot Pursuit likes this

JuliusCaesar
  • JuliusCaesar

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by JuliusCaesar, 2 weeks ago.

It lacks an authenticity that the previous main versions had. It has gone from this interactive thing that happens to have a game to be found in it to this straight up video game made by a huge publisher and outsourcing houses (one of which they bought afterward iirc). If there is anything wrong with GTA V compared to the others, it's that. It's probably a good problem to have. To the dismay of more discerning tastes, GTA is mainstream as f*ck now. It used to just be mainstream because no one could stop it. Now it's a celebrated part of the GDP and sh*t.

The previous ones were real.

This one is plastic.

Only some people can notice, some people can't. But that's how it is.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Interesting opinion, but you are confusing not noticing with not agreeing with that particular line of reasoning. GTA V is not plastic at all. Its a very solid, full, incredibly well written and vastly scoped game that brings an incredible wealth of joy and fun to the table. I definitely respect the opinion you put forth, and the articulated thought you put into it. It is one of the more interesting critiques of V that I have read in this forum. Even though I don't agree with it, you definitely get style points.

I will say this, if I was one of the V haters or harsh critics in this forum, and I read your post, I would definitely feel vindicated and justified. I wont go as far as to say youre full of sh*t or anything. Because I think a well thought out and reasoned argument like you put forth is worth more than simply being dismissed casually. But suffice it to say, I definitely dont agree with your position. But I thought you warranted the respect of addressing your post in a meaningful way.
  • JuliusCaesar likes this

Masny
  • Masny

Member Since 16 Feb 2007

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Masny, 2 weeks ago.

I have the same toughts. 

GTA V doesn't really feel like a GTA game. If someone would give me this game without telling me the name - I would have really hard time guessing. Sometimes it feels like cheap GTA parody

I have to quote myself to give explanation what I meant. 

I'm a big fan of GTA since... ever. I played all GTA games that were relased. 

Beggining of funny, a bit crappy GTA1 around 1999-2000 when I was 8 yo kid. Year later, GTA2 came to my hands, then GTA3, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV and V. 

I wasted many, many, many hours on these games. Even GTA V stole me absurdly big amount of time (and money - I had a copy on PS3, PS4 and PC).

So, I think I can call myself a GTA fan.

GTA V IS REALLY, REALLY GOOD GAME. 

But...  stupid. Fun - but stupid. You can play and win this game without using brain once. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway - GTA V feels to much different than other GTAs. I... I don't really know why. And I don't like this feeling. 

Yes, GTA IV was different too - but in positive kind of way. 

I may guess - I don't like this game [gta5] as much as others GTAs because of weird driving mechanics and cars behaving very randomly (driving a car in car game not being fun is a big problem I think) bikes are crap, planes are crap,... Only helicopters aren't that bad. 

Guns have no power in sounds, sounds really like a crap. "phew phew" is a best way to describe it I think. Seriously, GTA2 have better gun sounds than V (shotgun!). 

There is some kind of "fake" feel in this game. Everyhing is fake, not just Amanda's boobs. 

• Maibatsu545 likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm a big fan of GTA since... ever. I played all GTA games that were relased.

Same here, with only ONE exception.

Yes, GTA IV was different too - but in positive kind of way.

I totally understand this feeling even though we disagree. For me, IV was not only different, it was a horrible, boring, lackluster, limited and limiting, oppressive game that was like 5 steps backward from San Andreas. Honestly, after IV, I thought I was completely done with GTA and would have to get my sandbox fun from other franchises, like Just Cause, Saints Row, etc. But Rockstar went back to more old school GTA ideas AND they even managed to add awesome new stuff that is also still a lot of fun to this day. Not to mention, the story in V is much better, more alive and varied, and the physics of the game has been dramatically improved.

I have some niggles about V, but given how boring I found IV, if nothing else, V is like ten steps in the right direction!
  • Am Shaegar likes this

Gravarty
  • Gravarty

Tember Mitle

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Gravarty, 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, you're right Domac, it doesn't feel like a GTA game anymore, it's just too childish and easy.
GTA IV in other hand is the best thing that happened after GTA: San Andreas. The only thing i don't like about it is the PC port but it runs like a dream on XBOX One.

If i ever want to play to play GTA V again, i'm definitely going to play it on the XBOX 360 or PS3 and untouched (no patches). Because that still has a bit of the classic GTA HD vibe in it.
  • theGTAking101 likes this

Wolver_321
  • Wolver_321

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Wolver_321, 2 weeks ago.

If we talk of GTA V in some way we've to consider also GTA Online... The latest GTA Online updates are, at least for me, far far away from a "normal" GTA, flying cars, flying bikes, cars with mounted machine guns, tanks everywhere etc., it seems like I'm playing Battlefield 4, Just cause 3 or Saints Row! And I don't want to talk about Shark Cards...

- GTA V: I liked it, the fact you can use multiple characters is something fresh and completely new in the series, in GTA IV if you wanted to play with another character you had to change also the game that you were playing. GTA V story is probably underrated by a lot of people, the missions are fun and not repetitive, the only thing I didn't like so much is how Michael's problems play a big role in the game. Another "thing" that I don't like about GTA V is Trevor: he is completely different from the other GTA characters and for me his craziness is too excessive in some scenairos. The vehicles are fun to drive and the map it's good...

- GTA IV: This game is my favourite GTA of all time, practically I liked everything! The story is fantastic, the map is probably a bit smaller than San Andreas but it's well done, Liberty City seems full of life, the pedestrians react to Niko's actions, to the weather and to the environment. Some mission can be a bit boring, especially the ones needed for 100% ("Kill 200 flying rats around Liberty City!"), but I found GTA IV story very mature and unique, Niko was a great character. GTA IV Online didn't play a big role like GTA V Online, but it was good, no microtransactions and a lot of good modes: in other words, FUN.

GTA V for me was completely fine until Gunrunning came out, before that we have had only a few special vehicles (added in Import/Export) that in some way could fit in the GTA world. Anyway I think the cities chosen by Rockstar reflect stories and characters:

1) Liberty City ----> More mature

- GTA III (Claude)

- GTA LCS (Toni)

- GTA IV (Niko)

- GTA TLAD (Johnny)

- GTA TBoGT (Luis)

2) Vice City -----> Crazy and mature

- GTA Vice City (Tommy)

- GTA VCS (Victor)

3) Los Santos (or San Andreas State) -----> More crazy

- GTA San Andreas (CJ)

- GTA V (Franklin, Michael and Trevor)

• UltraGizmo64, theGTAking101 and Hot Pursuit like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago

For me it really just lacks a clear vision to put it simply. I mean it's a fun game if you just want to mess around without thinking about it too hard, but I'm more about the story, characters, atmosphere, detail etc. The 3D era had its time and once I realised GTA IV was my favourite GTA and that's what I actually wanted I never looked back.

Whist I can get that people like that GTA V shifted more back towards the 3D era style zaniness I think it should've been more carefree like GTA IV was/is not being concerned about trying to appease old school fans because it often feels like it's caught up in transition between the 3D and HD eras not knowing exactly where it wants to be. That appeals to some. It doesn't to me.

Though to be fair I'm not sure how you'd quantify this objectively if you ever could. Each game is so different I guess it really just comes down to your individual tastes that dictates the GTA feeling more than anything physically.

• theGTAking101 and Hot Pursuit like this

Domac
  • Domac

Snitch

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 2 weeks ago

What I hate about SP is that, they tried to add some small, realistic features (plane shaking when in air, stats[not the good ones from GTA:SA], etc.), but the game is still very unrealistic when it comes to some things.

The first unrealistic thing is the amount of heists. Sure, let's say that Michael and Trevor are some kind of mastermind experienced criminals, and they can pull off a heist with minor problems. Franklin, a wannabe gangster that was reposessing and stealing cars for a living and is scared of a minor gunfight with some gangsters comes with Trevor and Michael to rob a bank, which will obivously include a gunfight with tons of cops. Things like these don't make much sense.

The second thing is the relationshio between Michael and his kids, oh my God were they annoying.
Michael saves Tracey from a group of mad criminals that chase them on jetskis, and she doesn't thank him one bit? Michael saves Tracey from a pedophile (Lazlow) and she then yells at Michael?
Jimmy plays videogames all days, and insults Michael who is his dad? Michael doesn't do sh*t about it? All he did was smash his TV this one time and that's it.

This game's story makes no sense in 80% of the cases.
  • theGTAking101 and Maibatsu545 like this

JuliusCaesar
  • JuliusCaesar

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Interesting opinion, but you are confusing not noticing with not agreeing with that particular line of reasoning. GTA V is not plastic at all. Its a very solid, full, incredibly well written and vastly scoped game that brings an incredible wealth of joy and fun to the table. I definitely respect the opinion you put forth, and the articulated thought you put into it. It is one of the more interesting critiques of V that I have read in this forum. Even though I don't agree with it, you definitely get style points.

I will say this, if I was one of the V haters or harsh critics in this forum, and I read your post, I would definitely feel vindicated and justified. I wont go as far as to say youre full of sh*t or anything. Because I think a well thought out and reasoned argument like you put forth is worth more than simply being dismissed casually. But suffice it to say, I definitely dont agree with your position. But I thought you warranted the respect of addressing your post in a meaningful way.

I'm really glad you took the time, because it's a chance for some added clarity - I agree with you, as well. It is a great game. But it's a game game. The other ones felt like games made by Rock Stars. Like, GTA V feels like it's made by the best in the industry - because it is - so I don't want to take away from how great of a game it is, and everything you said about the game is true to its merit.

When I say plastic, and I think you did get it, but for others in case, it means it just feels "too good". They aren't the underdog with the clunkiness to their games and still doing it better than everyone else despite lacking in other areas. Now they are amazing in areas, with all kinds of talent they didn't have before and still did well, and it made the game pretty, but it is missing something. I call it "authenticity". 

It does feel like a different company made it, but it may just be because so many more people were involved in this one, you really can't avoid it.

• ChiroVette likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm really glad you took the time, because it's a chance for some added clarity - I agree with you, as well. It is a great game. But it's a game game. The other ones felt like games made by Rock Stars. Like, GTA V feels like it's made by the best in the industry - because it is - so I don't want to take away from how great of a game it is, and everything you said about the game is true to its merit.

Also, there absolutely to be allowances made for your personal tastes and opinions in this discussion otherwise what's the point, right?

I also LOVE the fact that while GTA V may not be the ultimate GTA experience for you, and you have your criticisms, that you aren't simply attacking it and everyone who doesn't agree with you. In fact, you are also praising a lot of things about the game even in your criticisms, which is rare around here for the V-critics. So many of V's detractors in this forum act like petulant, spoiled children who didn't get their way, so they lash out, not only at Rockstar and the game, but anyone who disagrees with them. Ha, and now in another thread, the voice actors have been targeted for wrath. lol

The point is that you are acknowledging that V does so many things right AND that some of the things you don't like are your own opinions. If I had a dime for every V-critic who stated their opinions about "the supposedly objective superiority of this or that in IV" over V, I would be able to retire.

Now you say V is a "game game," which might sound like gibberish to some, but I get the point you're making. You are saying that, for you, it contains nothing epic or groundbreaking, which is what you have become accustomed to in new GTA games. I do have issues with V, the most obvious being Online and its being used as a platform to milk customers for IAP sales, but also in some more esoteric areas as well, that have nothing to do with Online. The biggest problem with V may actually be the thing that I personally enjoy. Now, since your analysis is a little heady, I will add my own:

When IV came out and Rockstar was unabashed, unequivocal, and unapologetic about all the "realism" I whinged a little, but I moved on, thinking, "Okay, this isn't my GTA anymore. So be it. There are other fish in the sea, or games in the store." I pretty much hated everything about IV, because it felt like 5 steps backward from San Andreas, and I just categorically assumed I was just done with new GTA. Hey, we'll always have Paris, right? For me, lol Paris was GTA III, VC, SA, and even LCS and VCS. I mean, as disappointed as I was with IV, I was simultaneously grateful to Rockstar for giving me FIVE truly amazing games in the span of like 5 years in the 3D generation.

Now, fast forward to 2013, and the thing that I loved about V is that even though some qualities were cut and pasted from or somewhat modeled after IV (things in V I hated and still hate, by the way!) it showed me that Rockstar wanted me back! And they were willing to at least compromise to win back my heart (metaphorically speaking, of course). So GTA V's biggest weaknesses to me are things I can actually accept, not because I like them, but because I completely understand that it would be unrealistic of me to expect Rockstar to ABANDON all things IV (oh how I wish they would, though!!) because there are a lot of fans who enjoyed that game, too. So Rockstar, in making V had a compromise to make if they wanted to please both San Andreas (and III and VC) fans AND still not alienate IV fans the way they alienated us 3D Era fans with IV. I bet that a lot of meetings, discussions, and heated arguments took place between the Housers and their top staff. "What do we do now? So many people love IV, but so many people who loved 3D Era games hate it? How do we make everyone happy?"

Well, the thing is you can't make everyone COMPLETELY happy. I mean, we have all heard the true definition of compromise, right? "A really good compromise is the one that leaves both sides equally
dissatisfied."

That is honestly the strength of V. So many people were disappointed with IV, BUT so many people loved it, too. So what to do if you're Rockstar? A compromise is the only way. At least that way, I get many things I love in past GTA games, but have to tolerate many things I dislike or even HATE with a passion from IV. But the IV fans get many things they loves in IV while maybe having to tolerate many of the things I love. This is why I both agree with you and disagree. I agree that this kind of a compromise could actually predispose V to feeling unauthentic. Both from the standpoint of the IV fans AND the 3D Era fans.

So to use your rationale, if I had my way, GTA V would have felt more authentic if Rockstar completely and totally scrapped IV in literally every way imaginable. If they went back to Police Bribes, Pay 'n' Sprays that work no matter what, brought back more fluid and less "realistic" character movement, brought back the ability to really rampage FOR HOURS in the streets like you could in the 3D Era, and on and on and on. And in your mind, and I suspect the mind of a lot of IV fans, V would only feel authentic if it was "more of a IV sequel" than a compromise between two completely and diametrically opposed gaming paradigms?

See the quandary Rockstar faced? For what you wanted from V, and even for what I wanted, 100% authenticity was off the table. Because what I wanted and what the average IV fan wanted were completely in contrast. So a compromise was, in my opinion, the only solution.

When I say plastic, and I think you did get it, but for others in case, it means it just feels "too good". They aren't the underdog with the clunkiness to their games and still doing it better than everyone else despite lacking in other areas. Now they are amazing in areas, with all kinds of talent they didn't have before and still did well, and it made the game pretty, but it is missing something. I call it "authenticity". 

It does feel like a different company made it, but it may just be because so many more people were involved in this one, you really can't avoid it.

Its funny, and seemingly unrelated, but I am a HUGE Grateful Dead fan. One of the things that the Dead are noted for were their incredibly improvisational approach to their live shows. They ALWAYS took chances every time they took the stage. The problem is that when so much of what you are doing requires that you step out onto a very fragile branch, it often breaks and you end up with musical trainwrecks. Deadheads like myself became accustomed to that and even regard it with a certain affection. I remember being out in a small bar with a friend checking out one of the many Dead cover bands. One in particular was very, very good. But a friend of mine had a huge problem with them. He complained that they were "too perfect" and "too rehearsed."

This is similar to what you are saying. GTA, particularly in the 3D era, had a ton of fun and amusing glitches. I have been a moderator and a supermoderator over at Neoseeker, a huge gaming site, for coming up on 2 decades. And my specialty was the GTA forums. And I remember that the glitches and bugs wrought an amazing amount of discussion and fun. We had threads called things like "Blue Hell" where players used little cracks in the game to do all kinds of wacky sh*t. The clunkiness you are referring to, like a Grateful Dead concert, adds character. And in the case of San Andreas, III, and Vice, also extend gameplay. But lets be honest for a minute, okay? GTA IV, while I hate the game, was like the cover band I mentioned above. It didn't make a lot of "technical mistakes." Well it was very limiting and limited, but that isn't the same thing. That was a choice by the devs to inexorably tie the player's abilities and the gameplay to a narrowly focused story. In short, realism mandated IV, which is why while some love the game (for its story) many also hated the gameplay because Rockstar tethered the gameplay to the story and "what was believable for a Slavic immigrant new to the US to be able to do."

See my point?

IV's virtue was in its technical prowess by eliminating almost ALL the bugs that the PS2 era games faced. In doing so, though, Rockstar FORGOT to add the fun in their attempt to tell a story that would supposedly be like a "movie game," Houser's exact words. The best description I ever read about GTA IV was a one liner that came from a critic who actually loved the game. He said something to the effect of, While I loved GTA IV while writing my review, the game is filled with pomposity and elitism, and lacked a lot of the fun of San Andreas. (paraphrased)

V now has a lot of the fun of San Andreas, BUT in order to do it, Rockstar had to strip out a lot of the realism, BUT not all of it, lest they infuriate the majority of IV fans. So while I may disagree with my buddy Algonquin Assassin's opinion that V lacks direction, I can simultaneously understand what he is saying. V was, from the outset of its earliest development, trapped between a rock and a hard place. The rock being San Andreas and the hard place being IV in my metaphor. So the only way Rockstar could have made the game "more focused" would have been to choose a side, and unequivocally embrace that. They would have had to either continue down the realism path, maybe adding a little more fun OR completely abandon it and go back to a more San Andreas'ish game. I honestly believe that given the situation, they did what they had to do for both sides. They compromised, so nobody is completely happy, BUT at least we have a "great game" and a worthy GTA sequel to appeal to as many fans, critics, and non-GTA gamers as possible!

For what its worth, that's my analysis.

• Algonquin Assassin and JuliusCaesar like this

gnrdeth13
  • gnrdeth13

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

GTA V officially stopped feeling like a true GTA game for me the moment I realized I could no longer walk into Burger Shot and hear "Welcome to Burger Shot, Muh-fuuck-uh!"

• Lioshenka, B Dawg, Lock n' Stock and 3 others like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Journey_95, 2 weeks ago.

Nah GTA V has flaws but feels very much like a GTA game. I always disliked that fans limited the series. It happened with GTA IV especially which was bashed by silly fans who couldn't handle something darker and more serious.

And now that GTA V did some things differently (even though in many ways Rockstar was pandering directly to the SA fanbase lol) people say that as well.  I think each game of the series had that GTA feel apart from Online (which isn't GTA anymore, its ridiculous & garbage) and I appreciate that Rockstar retains the identity of the series, unlike Ubisoft with AC for an example

• Algonquin Assassin, Tycek, Official General and 3 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users