Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should Trevor be considered the worst GTA character ever created?

56 replies to this topic
CoolMods
  • CoolMods

If you set your last active to private you're f*cking edgy

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Romania

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think yes. I don't get why people say that he is a badass, he is ugly and he looks like he never took a bath. Plus he killed Johnny.

• Official General, CartmanKusanagi, josephene123 and 4 others like this

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Nah Stretch is WWAAAAAAAAYYYY more fitting of the title.
  • CJ's Jetpack likes this

ElMattineu
  • ElMattineu

Driver of the Happy Blimp™ Blimp.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think yes. I don't get why people say that he is a badass, he is ugly and he looks like he never took a bath. Plus he killed Johnny.

That's true, but i don't know if he should got the title of Worst Character, but he certainly should have the Worst Protagonist one.

Nah Stretch is WWAAAAAAAAYYYY more fitting of the title.

Stretch? Who is Stretch?

That guy who only appears in 2 MISSIONS (maybe 3) IN THE WHOLE GAME? What he made to be way worse?

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Trevor is the only protagonist who fits GTA theme.

Franklin love being alone and iron his clothes whole day. Why would he suddenly go a cop rampage?

Michael has a family to protect, why would he go and try to steal a jet from military base?

With Trevor you can do all crazy sh*t and what you do completely fit his personality, because even when you are not controlling him he is doing some crazy sh*t somewhere.
  • gunziness, universetwisters and Aquamaniac like this

CoolMods
  • CoolMods

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Romania

Posted 4 weeks ago

I can't take this post seriously

• Algonquin Assassin, Curtis, josephene123 and 4 others like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 4 weeks ago.

To answer the thread question, NO WAY. Trevor may be the best GTA character to date in the series' history!

Okay, I see why you are tempted to respond this way. Because the one liner he posted, at first glance, seems like trolling. However, let's take a closer look, shall we?

Now, first I want to say that, as protagonists go, I LOVE Tommy V, CJ, and even Fido. Hell, I enjoyed the hell out of Vic Vance and Tony, too. I also think Michael and Franklin are excellently written, acted, and the timing and chemistry in their narratives is fantastic. That said, however, Trevor is the first protagonist in GTA history that is a pure, unadulterated, unapologetic psychopath. Now this may seem like a bad thing, and in terms of likeability, if you tell me you don't like him, I can respect that. But what he has over all the other GTA protagonists, including Michael and Franklin, is he may be the first one who is who he is, unabashed, and unfettered by the kinds of equivocation and sometimes transparently banal struggles of the other ones.

I mean, let's look at this objectively for a second. CJ was packaged and sold as a basically charming guy, a perhaps kinder and gentler gangsta? Michael struggles with morality in part due to family concerns, and Franklin is trying to be a warm, loyal, goodhearted, gang-banger. lol Even Tommy V seems to struggle with some of his psychopahy during his exploits in Vice City. But have you noticed that none of it quite rings true? Well, okay, let me qualify this and say it didn't for me. NOT that I didn't enjoy the stories in these GTA games and I certainly did get swept away in their lives and various campaigns. But the constant equivocation and rationalizing, the struggling and the waffling of the GTA characters, always just seemed a little contrived and put on to me. Like Rockstar was trying far too hard to make the characters charming and their wrestling with conscience was sold to us as endearing in a way.

All except for Fido, of course. Since he didn't speak, we have no Earthy idea what the hell he was thinking or feeling, or if he was struggling, when he betrayed Kenji to Donald Love, not to mention allowing Miguel to take the blame and endure Asuka's wrath. Or why he backstabs Marty Chonks, one of his employers, in the final mission bringing back the guy who was screwing his wife to allow him to kill his former mission-giver. But Trevor is just completely uninhibited. He is what he is, doesn't make any apologies for it, and he is completely honest about it. lol In his sick, twisted way, of course.

So while you may not agree with Sleepwalking, I think you are maybe not seeing his actual point.

• Officer Ronson, confederatestatesgta, 🖕 and 4 others like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 4 weeks ago

Story-wise, hes a meme character, gameplay wise, he fits pretty well
  • theGTAking101 likes this

DirtCheap
  • DirtCheap

Cheapskate

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think he's great as for once, we have a legitimate psychopath as a protagonist. What makes this great is that because he's a psychopath, it actually makes sense for him to go on rampages outside of missions.

Also, he's definitely the most funniest out of the 3 protagonists (and also the best out of the trio as the other two were bad as one was a hypocritical snake and the other was pretty bland IMO). 

• theGTAking101 and Am Shaegar like this

YellowJacket
  • YellowJacket

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

He's a prick. I like him a lot. I actually was certain at first I would hate him, just judged a book by it's cover. I found him to be funny as hell after playing as him for a bit.

• ChiroVette likes this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

He's flat out unpredictable asshole. That's what makes him a great GTA character.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Wow, long time since I've visited here.

I do know that R* explicitly stated prior to release that they weren't going to try to top the writing of Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV. However, it was still quite jarring when I couldn't even find more than a half-dozen actually likable characters after playing through GTA V. It's quite a shame considering that R* hired some VERY talented voice actors. Steven Ogg is stellar, but R* really didn't do his voice justice with Trevor's character.

That's one of the larger nitpicks out of a million (exaggeration) that I have about GTA V, but it's still by all other means an outstanding video game.

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago

He's good,but also forgettable .

The-Ghost
  • The-Ghost

They mad bro...

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Lol not sure why you just decided to not take the other person's post seriously, have you actually looked at Franklin? Franklin to me is just a playable secondary character, even Lamar is more developed than Franklin, you just start the first two missions and you're already stuck in Michael's story, Trevor gets stuck in there as well at some point but at least him being outside the city and introduced to us with some crazy missions is what fixes that issue sort of.

Trevor is one of the best characters in the GTA series, not the best, but he's up there for sure, the gameplay is so much fun with him because everything you can do with him fits his personality.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Franklin had HUGE potential early on, but he quickly gets reduced to ironing his clothes up in Vinewood Hills, telling the player how drunk/high he is, and commenting on how huge Chop's pile of sh*t is.

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

garou the badass hero hunter from one punch man.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

oh cool. people are still posting hate threads about gta 5. thats funny. i mean seriously. the game has been out nearly 5 years and people still keep hating on this game. but to answer the question. no he is not the worst character of the series. in fact he is one of my favorites.

• ChiroVette and 🖕 like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

not this again,,,,, oh what the hell i'll play. the only thing I don't like about trevor is how he randomly kills people in cutscenes like leon the vanilla unicorn strip clubs manager. it seems like leon was someone franklin knew and respected. judging by the tone of franklins voice when trevor told him that he bought the club from the manager, it seems like franklin wasn't buying it and planning on paying him back for killing him. option A seems very sensible now even though I've never done that ending.

• ChiroVette likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 4 weeks ago.

not this again,,,,, oh what the hell i'll play. the only thing I don't like about trevor is how he randomly kills people in cutscenes like leon the vanilla unicorn strip clubs manager. it seems like leon was someone franklin knew and respected. judging by the tone of franklins voice when trevor told him that he bought the club from the manager, it seems like franklin wasn't buying it and planning on paying him back for killing him. option A seems very sensible now even though I've never done that ending.

It could very well be that this was a narrative setup for players who would want to choose Ending A. I honestly never thought about that until I read your post. That's one of the many things I LOVE about this game. I learn something new about it all the time!

I do know that R* explicitly stated prior to release that they weren't going to try to top the writing of Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV.

I never played Red Dead, so I can't comment on the story in that game, but back ten years ago I did play IV to 100% completion. I can say unequivocally that the writing, story, dialog, characters, and fun of the storyline of V are much better than they were in IV. I never enjoyed IV's story at all, and thought the same way as you but in reverse. I feel that IV's characters were forgettable, not likeable, and I found not one of them to care about or emotionally invest in.

Just a matter of taste, I guess. But for my money, V has the far better story and writing.

oh cool. people are still posting hate threads about gta 5. thats funny. i mean seriously. the game has been out nearly 5 years and people still keep hating on this game. but to answer the question. no he is not the worst character of the series. in fact he is one of my favorites.

LMAO!

It is funny. But, this is a public forum, so I suspect the complaints will continue, as everyone has a right to their opinion. My opinion is that the people hating on V are basically lobbying Rockstar in this forum, consciously or unconsciously. My opinion is that we all know that Rocstar reads all the high profile forums around the web, and this may, in fact, be the highest profile GTA fansite forum. So people here are not just voicing the same complaints over and over again, but hoping desperately that Rockstar will believe them and go back to the glory days of a decade ago with a more IV-like GTA. Of course, I say this with all respect. :)

• Am Shaegar likes this

tr28999
  • tr28999

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by tr28999, 4 weeks ago.

Trevor is one of the most thought out and well played characters in any video game ever. The reason why most people hate him is because he is making fun of the very people who dislike him. I don't want to bring politics into this but i would wager huge sums of money that most of the people who have a genuine dislike for Trevor share the same politcal point of view. They watch the Same Youtube videos, they say the same mindless sh*t that " others thought for them ". The people who can't see the brilliance in the Trevor character are the same ones who get offended by everything and ignore their own hypocrisy. In other words, Trevor is doing exactly what Rockstar wanted him to do and it's brilliant !!! And If you can't see it... Lol, good luck in life. You will need it ! 

• 🖕 and Am Shaegar like this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by theGTAking101, 4 weeks ago.

On paper, Trevor had the potential to be one of the greatest characters ever. He's a full on psychopath, which makes going on rampages during free roam not seem out of character.

They just didn't execute it as well as they could've IMO. They went for more of a comic relief character and I don't think that was the best idea. Think Mikhail Faustin - an unpredictable and frightening psychopath who didn't rely on immature jokes and shock value moments to succeed as a character. A character written like Mikhail would've worked much better for Trevor.

• Algonquin Assassin, CartmanKusanagi, Zello and 1 other like this

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

He'd actually be likeable to me if he didn't kill Johnny
  • ThatBenGuy likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I don't get why people say that he is a badass, he is ugly and he looks like he never took a bath. Plus he killed Johnny.

what dont you get it? everything you just said pointed out just that. the smashed johnnys brains all over the place and fu$%ed his girl, he dont care about his looks

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Great actor, great performance, abysmally written and characterised. Trevor and Michael are real low points in the GTA arc. 

• CartmanKusanagi likes this

Cheatz/Trickz
  • Cheatz/Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

Great actor, great performance, abysmally written and characterised. Trevor and Franklin are real low points in the GTA arc. 

Fix'd. Now I agree.

To elaborate, Rockstar overdid it with his antics to the point that he becomes too unbelievable to take seriously, a cartoon. I've said before that Trevor would've been far more compelling had he not been the comic relief. The idea of the psychotic hillbilly had potential, but the execution of him was handled so poorly (I don't mean his literal execution in Ending A, though that also was handled poorly like most of GTA V's story).

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't get why people say that he is a badass, he is ugly and he looks like he never took a bath. Plus he killed Johnny.

what dont you get it? everything you just said pointed out just that. the smashed johnnys brains all over the place and fu$%ed his girl, he dont care about his looks

Totally agree. One of the many things that make Trevor one of the best characters in GTA history.

CoolMods
  • CoolMods

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Romania

Posted 3 weeks ago

Everybody, how can you like that ugly twat? He is ugly and i don't care about his fake "badass" since he killed on of my favorite characters. In plus if i would ever get GTA V and finish the story, first thing i would ever do is kill Trevor and shoot him 15 times.

Aquamaniac
  • Aquamaniac

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

No he's right, playing GTA means playing a car stealing, mass murdering thug, Trevor is the most authentic character within the GTA universe, yes he's ugly and smells - so what? Do you think it's authentic someone like Michael killing hundreds of people, including cops, he has no reason even to steal a car. I like GTA V and how the plot evolves, but as explained only Trevor feels authentic.

• ChiroVette likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Tycek, 3 weeks ago.

In this case only characters from 2D eras GTA and Claude from GTA 3 feel authentic, since they have no backstory, no affiliations nor aims in their lives.

When the protagonists received a story and personal traits it stopped fitting, because it's hard to imagine Tommy's senseless killing spree when he just spent 15 years in the joint or CJ's rage in which he destroys countless cars, while at the same time he tries to open mod garage in SF. Same goes for Trevor, really. Why would he steal a car if he has his Bodhi, why he would want to do any Heist if he got successful meth business and pretty much controls all arms and drugs movement in Blaine County? It's gameplay - story segregation and it pretty much happens in many video games, not only in GTA series.

• ChiroVette, Algonquin Assassin, Journey_95 and 1 other like this

KatanaDV20
  • KatanaDV20

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think Trevor is the most brilliant GTA character, hes deffo my favorite. I liked that he got rid of that Johnny clown. As someone before me said  - he fits the madness of the GTA5 universe perfectly. Come on now - we spend our time in this game running over people, shooting them in the face and beating them with bats after all ahaa! 

All three characters have brilliant voice acting so full props to the voice actors. I like the other 2 characters also. 

• ChiroVette likes this

Aquamaniac
  • Aquamaniac

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

In this case only characters from 2D eras GTA and Claude from GTA 3 feel authentic, since they have no backstory, no affiliations nor aims in their lives.

When the protagonists received a story and personal traits it stopped fitting, because it's hard to imagine Tommy's senseless killing spree when he just spent 15 years in the joint or CJ's rage in which he destroys countless cars, while at the same time he tries to open mod garage in SF. Same goes for Trevor, really. Why would he steal a car if he has his Bodhi, why he would want to do any Heist if he got successful meth business and pretty much controls all arms and drugs movement in Blaine County? It's gameplay - story segregation and it pretty much happens in many video games, not only in GTA series.

Maybe because he wakes up drunken and naked somewhere in the nowhere? He does heists because that's the lifestyle he likes just as arms and drugs trafficking.

• ChiroVette likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Everybody, how can you like that ugly twat? He is ugly

Dude, you're playing as him in a videogame, not dating him.

and i don't care about his fake "badass" since he killed on of my favorite characters. In plus if i would ever get GTA V and finish the story, first thing i would ever do is kill Trevor and shoot him 15 times.

See, this is one of the things I really love about Trevor! Oh well, different strokes, I suppose.

I think Trevor is the most brilliant GTA character, hes deffo my favorite. I liked that he got rid of that Johnny clown. As someone before me said  - he fits the madness of the GTA5 universe perfectly. Come on now - we spend our time in this game running over people, shooting them in the face and beating them with bats after all ahaa! 

All three characters have brilliant voice acting so full props to the voice actors. I like the other 2 characters also. 

Totally agree!

Next stop for the bottom of Trevor's shoe, Ivan the Terrible? Peter the Great? No, no, no! It's...................wait for it................Niko, The Forgettable! :r*: :r*:

Oh and I agree with you. I really like Michael and Franklin, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users