Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTAV most profitable entertainment product ever.

143 replies to this topic
Voodoo-Hendrix
  • Voodoo-Hendrix

Slight Return

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

All that money yet R* is seemingly unable to invest in dedicated servers, a proper functional anticheat or a decent customer support.

It really makes you think 🤔
  • Shaundi., M.K.N., IamCourtney and 5 others like this

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

Not Fleshlight then?

• No Use For A Name likes this

Nutduster
  • Nutduster

Big Mean Jerk

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:59 PM Edited by Nutduster, 09 April 2018 - 09:00 PM.

All that money yet R* is seemingly unable to invest in dedicated servers, a proper functional anticheat or a decent customer support.

It really makes you think

Agreed on the anticheat and customer support.  Dedicated servers will never happen because their P2P mesh design is integral to the game code.  They're not going to tear out the guts and start over for something that basically works most of the time (though it's frustratingly sh*tty a not-insignificant amount of time, too).  It's not just a patch-it-in thing.  Very few multiplayer games overhaul their entire model in midstream like that, and it would a nightmare for a game as complicated and populated as GTA Online.

Cross your fingers for GTA VI / GTA Online 2.

• CaliMeatWagon, IamCourtney, El-Gaddafii and 2 others like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

General

• GTAF Crew
  • Canada

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

If 90 million copies were shipped it would have said that but it clearly says sold which means they've already been sold to customers and not just sitting on the shelves.

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

Incredible numbers for a game that, I swear, seems to deliberately frustrate you at every turn.

• AGNT009, Rafae, KWF1981 and 1 other like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

General

• GTAF Crew
  • Canada

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

So apparently some web sites are saying shipped while some are saying sold I don't know which to believe and I can't seem to find the exact statement from Take-Two themselves.

Regardless, the point in question isn't lost here at all.

No Use For A Name
  • No Use For A Name

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

If 90 million copies were shipped it would have said that but it clearly says sold which means they've already been sold to customers and not just sitting on the shelves.

Ffs

Thats because 90 million copies were technically sold, because theyre using a different definition of sold than the one youre used to.

90 million copies have been sold to retailers. The only sales figure that matters is how many of those 90 million end up in the hands of the end-user. Until those retailers sell all 90 million they initially purchased, its an irrelevant and misleading number

So apparently some web sites are saying shipped while some are saying sold I don't know which to believe and I can't seem to find the exact statement from Take-Two themselves.

Regardless, the point in question isn't lost here at all.

Here. Maybe this can explain it better than I can

http://m.ign.com/art...-million-copies

The numbers are outdated, but the point still stands.

d3mentu
  • d3mentu

Take a roll down

• Members
  • Romania
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

And yet R* refuses to spend a single penny on server fixes for GTA Online, including a better and more efficient anti-cheat in getting rid of hackers running amok.

Too busy using that money on RDR2

Nope, CEO Strauss Zelnick need the GTA $$$ to change his Yacht, (you can not use an 2015 Yacht model in 2018, because friends/people will think you are poor).

• Rafae, IamCourtney, El-Gaddafii and 1 other like this

Voodoo-Hendrix
  • Voodoo-Hendrix

Slight Return

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

It really makes you think

Agreed on the anticheat and customer support.  Dedicated servers will never happen because their P2P mesh design is integral to the game code.  They're not going to tear out the guts and start over for something that basically works most of the time (though it's frustratingly sh*tty a not-insignificant amount of time, too).  It's not just a patch-it-in thing.  Very few multiplayer games overhaul their entire model in midstream like that, and it would a nightmare for a game as complicated and populated as GTA Online.

Cross your fingers for GTA VI / GTA Online 2.

I get your point and you're right but if Ubisoft added dedicated servers to For Honor, a rather niche MOBA/Fighting game hybrid, with great success, then why R*, which is bigger than Ubi can't?

You know what? I know they can, but they won't because why would they? The game's servers could as well being run in a toaster and it would still sell like pancakes because GeeTeeHey.

I would love R* to prove me wrong, I really do.

Rafae
  • Rafae

General

• GTAF Crew
  • Canada

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

Yeah I get it now but we have no idea how many of those 90m units have been sold to customers and how many are still sitting on the shelves so the only thing we CAN say is that 90m copies were indeed sold, just not all to customers.
  • KWF1981 likes this

No Use For A Name
  • No Use For A Name

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:27 PM

Yeah I get it now but we have no idea how many of those 90m units have been sold to customers and how many are still sitting on the shelves so the only thing we CAN say is that 90m copies were indeed sold, just not all to customers.

Take Ford as an example. Ford sells 50,000 Mustangs to their dealerships across the country. Those dealerships in turn sell 33,000 of those Mustangs to the public before the end of the fiscal year.

What sales figure does Ford put on their annual report? 50,000 or 33,000? The answer is 33,000

Take Two can use whatever verbiage they please, but its misleading at best, shady-as-hell at worst.
  • Rafae likes this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

President of the LS Coquette Owners Club

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

Apperently when GTA offers probably over 100$ worth of free DLC, people rather be pissy with it. Not sure to any of y'all, i rather get free DLC that requires a little hard work that you can still get, for free, mind you probably a lot slower, and have microtransactions you aren't even required to play the game. But NooOoOoOoOO, lets just keep on bitching because that tickles our weenies and makes us feel better because we'd rather have it NooOOOw.

For your answer hamwithcheese, if this is the new standard of gaming, then I'm all in.

Edit: to op, it is well deserved. Good job on R* for creating a masterpiece they have.

Good for you. Enjoy it. I'd rather my games be as good as possible, instead of being given a free pass on every mistake just because its an "robust online experience" and saturated with free "premium content."
  • El-Gaddafii, Xiled, KWF1981 and 1 other like this

KWF1981
  • KWF1981

Big Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • England

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

These days, to get retailers that invest in many copies of the game is pretty good too. It had to be hot for them to buy the copies, and with more high street shops struggling to secure longer term futures because of online cheaper shopping options. Regardless where they end up, 90m copies is huge.

• CaliMeatWagon and Rafae like this

FukNRekd
  • FukNRekd

Rekd Um

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Ireland

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:26 PM Edited by FukNRekd, 09 April 2018 - 10:28 PM.

I believe its 90mil copies SOLD.

6bil / $60.00 (average) = 100mil copies.

Regardlees, and IMO, Qty of units is irrelevant when you consider the above maths. Might as well be 100mil copies sold.
  • Rafae likes this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:31 PM

Say what you want about this game but this type of success is absolutely staggering.

The success or failure of a particular product, for me, is irrelevant as long as my value in it meets or exceeds the expectations I had when I made the purchase.
Some of the biggest flop games can be the most fun for some people, while many of the most hyped products can be utter let-downs.

Again, for me, GTAIII, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, GTAIV, and GTAV/O have been the only products that have consistently delivered, every time.
That says so much more to me about the company producing them than anything about their sales or revenues.

And not for nothing, GTAV/O took the previous iterations to a level that went way beyond anything I could've asked for... and keeps on going! 

Cheers! :)

• Caysle, Fun 2, Is this The Guy? and 5 others like this

CoolBean
  • CoolBean

Crackhead

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:33 PM

Congrats :r*:.....got ya a card!

original_Shark-card-blue.jpg

• ROCKSTAR MANIC, CaliMeatWagon, Rafae and 3 others like this

No Use For A Name
  • No Use For A Name

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

I believe its 90mil copies SOLD.

6bil / $60.00 (average) = 100mil copies.

Regardlees, and IMO, Qty of units is irrelevant when you consider the above maths. Might as well be 100mil copies sold.

But they arent selling the games to distributors (retail) for $60, so both the gross and net profit wouldnt be anywhere near $6 billion

FukNRekd
  • FukNRekd

Rekd Um

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Ireland

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:41 PM

Good point. Wonder what the margin is for C*

MrTroubleMaker
  • MrTroubleMaker

Vice City

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:58 PM Edited by MrTroubleMaker, 10 April 2018 - 02:57 AM.

I guess that is why they don't care about the false bans .. people will still buy it, and buy it again ... maybe a shark card or two ...

• IamCourtney likes this

Dragon_Of_Tragedy
  • Dragon_Of_Tragedy

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:36 PM

I wouldn't care of them bragging about making all that money if they actually made a game that worked. Put $500 million into the damn servers so people can play.
  • Voodoo-Hendrix likes this

xDatxJunkyx
  • xDatxJunkyx

Li'l G Loc

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Canada

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:58 PM Edited by xDatxJunkyx, 10 April 2018 - 12:04 AM.

...I wonder where the money is being invested... Maybe RDR 2.

Its just, theres so much potential and content online could have, and its fustrating for it not to be there. From cars to customization, among other gripes.

We'll I see, I suppose. Although I keep saying that.
  • Voodoo-Hendrix likes this

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

The Protagonist In This Story

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:10 AM Edited by Blasterman4EVER, 10 April 2018 - 12:13 AM.

It's going down as the most profitable piece of digital entertainment of all time. I mean... I guess straight up entertainment in general, but there is no real way to speculate on how much money books like the bible have made, even if that's not comparable.

It is remarkable that in the end, it's a video game that took the throne.

• IamCourtney likes this

Foreverpast
  • Foreverpast

Polite Upon Request

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:00 AM Edited by Foreverpast, 10 April 2018 - 02:00 AM.

R* knows how to milk a game right, no matter how many flaws it has & are then left unresolved.

Trump need to hire some of those developers for work in the White House.

• Rafae likes this

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:11 AM

It's going down as the most profitable piece of digital entertainment of all time. I mean... I guess straight up entertainment in general, but there is no real way to speculate on how much money books like the bible have made, even if that's not comparable.

They mostly give Bibles away for free

• Rafae likes this

willystylez
  • willystylez

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

They mostly give Bibles away for free

Which can be used as kindling.
  • No Use For A Name and foxybingo88 like this

BlueDeadpool
  • BlueDeadpool

Journalist

• Network Partner
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

If anyone tells you GTA 5 isn't the most profitable commercial entertainment product ever, just send them my way, or link them this.

https://twitter.com/...060297135771650

No Use For A Name
  • No Use For A Name

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

For the umpteenth time, their sales figures are bullsh*t.

Shaundi.
  • Shaundi.

b̷l̷o̷o̷d̷s̷t̷a̷r̷

• Daily Globe
  • Australia

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

Most profitable because of alse bans od innocents on PC, leading them to buy the game again and shark card sales thanks to lidl kids and their parents credit cards and grown ups with no fiscal responsibility buying shark cards by the half dozen.

As for grown up shark card buyers,

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

I like to believe that money goes into improving the quality of their games.

I'm sure people will complain but it's better than (...) milk the games that become successful.

A) No, it goes to their shareholders. If it really did go towards quality improvement, GTA Online wouldn't have been built into the abomination that it is now.

B) They're literally doing just that, but with one single game and tons of microtransaction.

• Xiled and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:20 PM Edited by DangerZ0neX, 11 April 2018 - 03:22 PM.

Apperently when GTA offers probably over 100$ worth of free DLC, people rather be pissy with it.

Nice credible pricetags you gave to these DLCs, I'm sure you haven't fabricated it at all.

Of course, it's natural for people to get "pissy" if the game they paid for twice or thrice keeps getting worse and worse. Are we now not entitled to not liking the poor services we got just because it hurts the feelings of bootlicking fanboys like you?

Not sure to any of y'all, i rather get free DLC that requires a little hard work that you can still get, for free, mind you probably a lot slower, and have microtransactions you aren't even required to play the game.

Oh boy, here we go again with the mundane "muh free" and "muh hard work" bull.

The DLCs are free to download, not entirely free. If they indeed were free like Fortnite and Team Fortress 2, you'd be able to play them without having to purchase the game in the first place. As for the 'little' hard work you're preaching about, you have to be seriously delusional to consider grindy gameplay that has to be treated as a full-time job as a 'little' hard work. If you have to put in so much time just for a few items, then it's not f*cking free.

You did hear the phrase "Time is Money" at least once in your life, right?

But NooOoOoOoOO, lets just keep on bitching because that tickles our weenies and makes us feel better because we'd rather have it NooOOOw.

Your mention of other people stating things you disagree with as them 'tickling their weenies' just shows how big of a manchild you are. Kindly take your head out of your ass, thank you.

For your answer hamwithcheese, if this is the new standard of gaming, then I'm all in.

Edit: to op, it is well deserved. Good job on R* for creating a masterpiece they have.

The fanboy is spotted in his natural habitat, licking the boot it is currently being stomped with as if it was its only source of nourishment. Quite a sad creature.

In all seriousness, it's not well-deserved at all. The game is riddled with mistakes, the Singleplayer has been gutted and abandoned for the glory of Online to the point of recycling its own cancelled DLC for Online, and the sh*tty corporate practicies it has been injected with proves that it is in no way a masterpiece. If you're genuinely enthusiastic about other developers copying Rockstar's tactics, that they in turn stole from F2P mobile games nonetheless, then I feel genuine pity for you.

• Xiled, KWF1981 and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users