Manual Transmissions Coming?

52 replies to this topic
Maxxi
  • Maxxi

The One and Only

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yeah, manual would be a great thing, even if its just a "Press X for gear up, Press B for gear down", without clutch.

Corrected that typo for you as that is how Forza does gear shifts. Hell I'd be fine with the Right Analog Stick method used in the Crew. 
Please. No Crew stick shifting. I despised that layout for shifting in a game. Although, it does at least resemble realism a bit (my Hyundai Veloster IRL has a Manual Sport+ mode, where shifting is pretty much exactly like this if I use the stick instead of the paddles behind the wheel).
  • Suzuki Azure Vulpine likes this

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

What if they mapped the duck button as the clutch, and when youre holding the clutch, it temporarily re-maps two other buttons as upshift/downshift?
  • Suzuki Azure Vulpine and Fatsanchez like this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Pedinhuh, 3 weeks ago.

Do it like in GT Sport:

-X for upshifts;
-Square for downshifts;
-Circle for the handbrake/rear wheel brake;
(Cinematic camera is a useless feature I wouldn't mind being erased)
-Left analog Stick up selects the next weapon;
-Left analog stick down selects the previous weapon;
(Only a handful of land vehicles use the Y axis function of the left analog stick[tow trucks, Dozer], and all of them could be made to work by just holding the analog stick in the direction you want to use for two seconds)

Only problem is the melee function on bikes currently assigned to the square button...Maybe press and hold square to attack to your left, and press and hold x to attack your right?

Of course manual transmission should be a OPTION and not mandatory.

What you guys think?

RetroStyle
  • RetroStyle

Jesus is Lord, Jesus is Love, Jesus is Life, Jesus is Truth.

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by RetroStyle, 4 weeks ago.

Actually r* added a new line of code in handling files called "Advanced flags" to eliminate curb boosting and double shift speed boosting, and its messing up the acceleration on all the new cars making them act weird and accelerate slowly. They need to fix it ASAP. Theres a video in the xxr appreciation thread.

• jdv95 and AUScowboy like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

All the new cars feel trash, so hopefully enough people will object and they'll remove that stupid new flag or at least fix it.

As for manual transmission, sounds good on paper that's for sure. Don't know if it's technically possible at this point, they would have to alter a vast amount of existing code, no?
  • RetroStyle likes this

The Collector
  • The Collector

Classic Muscle FTW

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well the big thing I notice with these new cars and the nerfed Viseris is there is no clucth kick ability or mid drive speed boost (w/e ya wanna call it).    Other cars dont seem to be affected and can still do it.

jerryinohio78
  • jerryinohio78

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

The day this game gets manual transmission is the day mission creator becomes available.
  • AUScowboy and RetroStyle like this

DemonicSpaceman
  • DemonicSpaceman

Devil's Advocate

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

M/T in GTA, only part of the solution.

They need to address a lot more with the driving in GTA IMO however I admit I may be biased since I've put in probably hundreds of thousands of hours in to Forza (which isn't without it's faults, especially the later versions) but driving in GTA seems very arcadish, adding M/T (with or without clutch) wouldn't really benefit much. Driving physics need to be fixed plus a whole load of other vehicle related issues.

I'm not saying don't bring M/T to GTA but it needs more than just adding in M/T.
  • KWF1981 likes this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Told Y'all That Liberty City DLC Would Never Happen... -_-

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

For this game it's about as welcome as the idea of needing to put gas in the cars.

For real. My character needs her free hand for drive-bys and throwing stickies while driving. I need my free fingers for handbraking, changing the radio station, hanging up on Ron/LJT, Swinging the camera around, lining up/timing stickies, firing in front of/behind me, and diving out of my car at 120 mph when the Hogwarts Hoverbike makes a beeline for me. A manny tranny doesn't fit this game at all, IMHO.
  • jdv95, MisFit-138 and DemonicSpaceman like this

Le biatch
  • Le biatch

Thug

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

If this is for real I want to thank them for listening to my request.

MisFit-138
  • MisFit-138

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by MisFit-138, 3 weeks ago.

If this is for real I want to thank them for listening to my request.

Nope, not real.

Nutduster
  • Nutduster

Big Mean Jerk

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Actually r* added a new line of code in handling files called "Advanced flags" to eliminate curb boosting and double shift speed boosting, and its messing up the acceleration on all the new cars making them act weird and accelerate slowly. They need to fix it ASAP. Theres a video in the xxr appreciation thread.

I don't know why they're messing with this at this late stage.  The advanced flags aren't on older vehicles and doesn't seem like they are going to be, so this doesn't fix those two things anyway except for new cars.  How that really helps, I have no idea.  And of course by making the new cars slower than the old ones as a seemingly-unintended side effect, they just created a new problem on top of the old one.

And that's assuming you even see curb-boosting or double shifting as problems!  Most racers seem to like the double shift trick and learn how to do it, and which cars you can do it with the best.  As for curb boosting, it's not realistic and I know it annoys some people, but if you can't fix it in all cars with a universal physics patch (which would probably break so many other things), you probably shouldn't bother.

cars24
  • cars24

Automotive Member

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd love manual transmission, these kids who just slam the R2 till their fingers turn red, would struggle so much to keep up and f*ck others up  :/

Prenihility
  • Prenihility

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Would be nasty. But... how would it work? What buttons are there left to map to down and upshifts? The only way it could work is by sacrificing something. I always used up and down on the right analog stick in Gran Turismo to up and downshift. So the logical and best thing to sacrifice would be free camera movement.

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by AUScowboy, 3 weeks ago.

There is no way in hell they will go back and fiddle with old code for hundreds of cars and bikes to add manual transmission. Would be pretty awesome if they could without breaking them all or screwing the pooch in some way, but it's fairly apparent that they cannot.. maybe it will be possible in VI.

Cheesy_wotsit
  • Cheesy_wotsit

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd love manual transmission, these kids who just slam the R2 till their fingers turn red, would struggle so much to keep up and f*ck others up  :/

Catch up. seriously using GTAO's comedy clown car physics do you really think implementing the most rudimentary manual shifting system that Rcokstar could get away with (and you can f*cking beat that it will be as a basic as you can get) that it will make a blind bit of a difference to the smash and bash trolls? Like I said at the start Catch up is the biggest issue right now and given that Rcokstar have done literally f*ck all about fixing that broken arse game mechanic it's safe to say that having MT will make little if any difference.

Saying all this I think you guys are giving Rcokstar way to much credit thinking that this lazy ass developer is going to do something such as put MT in to the game now, even a bargain bin basic version of MT is beyond them now and as someone who quit GTAO because it was clear that Rcokstar no longer gives two f*cks and couldn't even get basic racing, the very core basic premise of racing right (catch up being a f*cking great example of how head up the arse this developer is about racing) I don't know if it would be possible to say how f*cking pissed I would be to see them stick MT in to a game while doing f*ck all about all the other issues that racing in this game has.

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

Even if they were to implement this feature, you bet they would make it an option and not mandatory for performance(though I can usually drive much faster using manual in racing games).

The little kids would stick to automatic.

Still though, more options can't do no harm.
  • AUScowboy likes this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

It seems like a lot of work for them with the offer of minimal reward, I mean, unless they charged a million+ To add it to each car/bike :/

Again, a very cool concept that I know I would enjoy for sure... seems extremely unlikely though. A lot of work on their end for something only a fraction of even the car enthusiasts/racers would use. I know, I'm a party pooper, but I also consider myself a realist.

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well...They did added new animations for melee attacks on motorbikes, assigned new button mapping while sacrificing the "duck" function on bikes, for all motorcycles...For free.

It's a possibility.
  • AUScowboy likes this

FloofehMoofin
  • FloofehMoofin

Floofiest of Moofins

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by FloofehMoofin, 3 weeks ago.

Why everyone want a Manual transmission ?

I mean okay for chilling around with friends and stuff, but not for races (cars in gta aren't rdy for this in my opinion)

Maybe if they edit some stuff in the future.

I see already new players driving with thier cars in the first gear everytime hahaha

• AUScowboy likes this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by AUScowboy, 3 weeks ago.

It is a possibility, I'm just presuming that coding transmissions into land vehicles would be much harder than something like that. Certainly begs a lot of questions such as: would the vehicles all have the same amount of gears? Same gear ratios? All I know for sure is that they would have to be able to charge enough for it to move shart cards...

The more we talk about it the more I want it for sure, just saying, I won't be getting me hopes up about it happening. If it did happen it would also be one more opportunity to break a plethora of things related to driving as well, and after the bullsugar with this latest batch of cars I would almost prefer they just played it safe and left things as they are to be frank (You can be Larry :)) :/

RetroStyle
  • RetroStyle

Jesus is Lord, Jesus is Love, Jesus is Life, Jesus is Truth.

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

The day this game gets manual transmission is the day mission creator becomes available.

Sounds like a good day to me   :^:

• AUScowboy likes this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by fw3, 3 weeks ago.

My theory... Rockstar might be working on bringing manual transmissions to GTA Racing. 

Theories abound on this forum, though most are frivolous and without any evidence of support.

And while the idea of manual transmissions would be fantastic, I imagine it would be a coding nightmare to develop in an existing game.
Basing the idea on "hearing people complaining" is, unfortunately, not enough to draw a firm conclusion.

Therefore, hunches and theories rightfully belong in some kind of Speculation Thread, I think.

It's a possibility.

So is getting realistic steak, but we know how that story goes. ;)

Hi1W8YO.jpg

• AUScowboy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users