Manual Transmissions Coming?

52 replies to this topic
CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

I've heard people complaining that the new super cars are oddly slow, as in, bottom of their class, which seems odd given their price point... and that they are the only cars with a new "engine resistance" handling flag, which might be what's causing it.

Engine Resistance? What could that be?

My theory... Rockstar might be working on bringing manual transmissions to GTA Racing. Engine resistance would be the effect being in a low gear has on cornering. These new cars were part of that test pool and Rockstar unintentionally left that flag in when they released the cars. 

Just a hunch. 

• Smooth Longsack likes this

Suzuki Azure Vulpine
  • Suzuki Azure Vulpine

Paleto Bay's Resident Blue Vixen

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

Oh please give me a Manual Transmission! I hope your hunch is right.

• J1M likes this

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

What if it's just a tunable element alowing R* to more easily adjust the average lap time performance of new cars after they have already been released?

Maybe in an attempt to get on top of the repeated issues with some new cars performing markedly quicker or slower than "competative".

• Gaffa likes this

Zader
  • Zader

cocksucker

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

A damn curious addition this late in the day, but I'd take it.

• Sanches likes this

WillProx
  • WillProx

Merc, hitman, smuggler, At your service.

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, manual would be a great thing, even if its just a "Press X for gear up, Press Z for gear down", without clutch.

jdv95
  • jdv95

don't know what to type down here anymore.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

if they will add it then it for sure won't be forced.

it will most likely be a new transmission option in LSC or just a race option that you can enable.

most likely the former.

• Fluffy Sock, ROCKSTAR MANIC and Samcrow like this

Suzuki Azure Vulpine
  • Suzuki Azure Vulpine

Paleto Bay's Resident Blue Vixen

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, manual would be a great thing, even if its just a "Press X for gear up, Press B for gear down", without clutch.

Corrected that typo for you as that is how Forza does gear shifts. Hell I'd be fine with the Right Analog Stick method used in the Crew. 

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

Eww no I don't like it in-game.
  • We Are Ninja, Wotanskrieger and El Payaso like this

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, manual would be a great thing, even if its just a "Press X for gear up, Press Z for gear down", without clutch.

If it was added, that would definitely be the way they'd do it. 

if they will add it then it for sure won't be forced.

it will most likely be a new transmission option in LSC or just a race option that you can enable.

most likely the former.

I'm sure it would either be an LSC option, or a race-specific option. Would be a damned shame to lock it behind a specific race type though.

That's fine, but what if it's completely optional?

• jdv95 likes this

jdv95
  • jdv95

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

don't wory they would never make it a forced thing.

they know that lot's of people would be "angry" if they had to shift themselves resulting in less car purchases and therefore less shark cards.

if it ever comes it will just be a LSC option. or a new race mode making it only possible in that race.

Fatsanchez
  • Fatsanchez

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

If this is true (and I wish it is), I wonder what would be the buttons to change gears on consoles. I dont think there are many left for assignment.

• DentureDynamite and El Payaso like this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

That's fine, but what if it's completely optional?
it would be cool :) for everyone.

No Use For A Name
  • No Use For A Name

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

If this is true (and I wish it is), I wonder what would be the buttons to change gears on consoles. I dont think there are many left for assignment.

Guessing right on the D-pad, just like 45893702 other functions that button serves
  • ash-274, chef_archie and Fatsanchez like this

ash-274
  • ash-274

Guru of the Gang Cars and Special items

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

For this game it's about as welcome as the idea of needing to put gas in the cars.

• We Are Ninja and MisFit-138 like this

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

Maybe up/down on the d-pad? 

For this game it's about as welcome as the idea of needing to put gas in the cars.

Let's see. Something that is not optional and hinders gameplay, versus something that is entirely optional and expands gameplay. Hmm.

• Fatsanchez likes this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None
  • Mister Los Santos 2017 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2017] Best Funny Snap
    Best Event 2017
    Best New GTA Member 2017
    Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

I'd accept manual transmission unless you could change gears quickly and maybe skip one (i know for some people it may sound weird, but it is as it is).

I played DayZ and there's manual gearbox atm, but it works strange, since it takes like 2-3 seconds to shift a gear. If it will happen in GTA, i want it to be more flexible.

• Fatsanchez likes this

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

I'd accept manual transmission unless you could change gears quickly and maybe skip one (i know for some people it may sound weird, but it is as it is).

I played DayZ and there's manual gearbox atm, but it works strange, since it takes like 2-3 seconds to shift a gear. If it will happen in GTA, i want it to be more flexible.

I wouldn't want anything approaching simulation. Just a quick bang shift feature - tap a button, instant gear change. That's all a game like GTA could need. Anything more complicated than that wouldn't suit a game that otherwise isn't designed as a sim. Being able to select gears into and out of corners though would be a game changer for players who are serious about racing. Broughy would be in love, I'm sure.

• Sanches and Fatsanchez like this

Riko Kurosaki
  • Riko Kurosaki

【Takane no Hana】🌸

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

Manual transmission would allow for drifting without any mod. Waiting for the drift mod to update is a pain.

• Fatsanchez likes this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None
  • Mister Los Santos 2017 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2017] Best Funny Snap
    Best Event 2017
    Best New GTA Member 2017

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

I wouldn't want anything approaching simulation. Just a quick bang shift feature - tap a button, instant gear change.

Yeah, that's what i was trying to say.

UKPortista
  • UKPortista

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:08 PM Edited by UKPortista, 20 March 2018 - 05:08 PM.

Not for me (I don't want to be dicking around with stick when I need to get out of Dodge)...but adding as an option for those who so desire it...sure...why not.

Cheesy_wotsit
  • Cheesy_wotsit

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

Lol, proper manual gear shifts... you HAVE seen the laughable physics engine this game uses? The engine that allows bikes to fly, cars to steer while jumping through the air, cars to go faster by running over kerbs, a catch up system that punishes the guy who drives smoothly and cleanly. Lol manual shifting, maybe if I flap my arms hard enough I could fly to the moon, it's more likely than Rcokstar introducing a factor such as this in to a game this late in it's life cycle and one that it became clear over two years ago that is now about filling the game with as much cheap to produce cash rich crpa as they can get away with. I mean for f*ck sake one of the new cars is pretty much a re release of one of the day one cars with an extra 1.5mill added to the purchase cost.

Just a quick bang shift feature - tap a button, instant gear change.

So like a DSG then?

Being able to select gears into and out of corners though would be a game changer for players who are serious about racing. Broughy would be in love, I'm sure.

Anyone serious about racing has left this game long ago for a game like GTSport, a game that IS actually about racing as for Broughy it's clear he's having a load more fun with the stuff the 5M guys are doing, certainly a lot more than anything Rcokstar have thrown at the game in the last two years.

• We Are Ninja, Arrows to Athens and ash-274 like this

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

Maybe up/down on the d-pad? 

Let's see. Something that is not optional and hinders gameplay, versus something that is entirely optional and expands gameplay. Hmm.

Might be hard to gear up when it keeps popping the phone up.
  • ash-274 and Fatsanchez like this

rebeldevil
  • rebeldevil

Alcohol-fueled Smartass

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

Quite frankly there are no buttons left on the console controller that aren't being used for at least one other function when in-car.

All the face buttons are in use.  All the shoulder buttons are in use. The PS4 has a touchpad with some redundant controls, but XB1 doesn't have that functionality. The only button that I THINK isn't in use in the car is Up on the D-pad. (Down shows stats/switches characters. Right works lights/convertibles/context-sensitive. Left works the radio)  I suppose you could flick up/down on the left stick, but since you're using it to steer as well it will make shifting very awkward in a turn (I see a lot of unintentional up/downshifts while cornering).

I like the idea of a manual transmission option as well, but at least in freemode it's just not practical. In a dedicated race mode they could do it, they'd just have to reassign controls that aren't used in races. (Square and Triangle for example (X/Y for XB1 respectively)

• jdv95, ash-274 and Fatsanchez like this

jdv95
  • jdv95

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

yeah i don't think it's pratical for rockstar.

i could only see this being added in a specific race mode just like the catch up option.

i don't think it would be available in free roam or any other non race mode at all.

septimoose
  • septimoose

Birthday Cake Enthusiast

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Any additional option is a good thing, as long as it's not forced. 

CuteFaceJay
  • CuteFaceJay

Snitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:40 PM

If it ever happens it'll be a game changer for the racing community.

Might give people a reason to comeback from FiveM but I highly doubt that!

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

Quite frankly there are no buttons left on the console controller that aren't being used for at least one other function when in-car.

All the face buttons are in use.  All the shoulder buttons are in use. The PS4 has a touchpad with some redundant controls, but XB1 doesn't have that functionality. The only button that I THINK isn't in use in the car is Up on the D-pad. (Down shows stats/switches characters. Right works lights/convertibles/context-sensitive. Left works the radio)  I suppose you could flick up/down on the left stick, but since you're using it to steer as well it will make shifting very awkward in a turn (I see a lot of unintentional up/downshifts while cornering).

I like the idea of a manual transmission option as well, but at least in freemode it's just not practical. In a dedicated race mode they could do it, they'd just have to reassign controls that aren't used in races. (Square and Triangle for example (X/Y for XB1 respectively)

Up is for the phone, which also works in a car
  • Fatsanchez likes this

Gaffa
  • Gaffa

⭐ S W A G G E R ⭐

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness [GTAO]

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:40 PM Edited by Gaffa™, 20 March 2018 - 06:40 PM.

I think it's just something that can be edited via background scripts to make vehicles faster or slower, as needed. 

I've used the Manual Transmission mod for PC in GTA and there really aren't enough buttons left on a controller to make it feasible. Even the setup I had - which I thought was the best I could do with the mappings - still had a few hiccups. 

I'll go out and buy a Beret to cut up and eat though, if it's real. 

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

They better add some sort of animation regarding the manual shifting ala midnight club. Otherwise it wont be immersive.

• Fatsanchez likes this

Fugitive69
  • Fugitive69

I WANT TUNER UPDATE C*

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:35 PM Edited by Fugitive69, 20 March 2018 - 08:35 PM.

Oh hell, i would love manual transmision. Though we would need a hotkey to toggle it on and off because manual can be a big disadvantage in some situations like some player would be chasing you and you need to turn around and shoot back in the car.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users