Dominator Classic aka Ellie Appreciation Thread

923 replies to this topic
Arrows to Athens
  • Arrows to Athens

Proud Pigalle Owner

• Members
  • England

Posted 3 days ago

This car looks so nice, but it's too damn slow for me to get.

SideStunt
  • SideStunt

Damn dude.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 days ago

Anyone else just a little peeved that the Issi Classic is more customizable than the Ellie? Aka, the most requested GTA car maybe ever?

Yup, Id kill for some chrome bumpers and more hood scoop options(Boss 429 hood scoop FTW) on the Ellie. The same argument goes for every other vehicle in the game that is lackluster in customization, or no customization at all. Like, why bother making a car without customization options, right?
  • Commander S, 79'Blazer4x4 and NT2YIELD like this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 3 days ago

Anyone else just a little peeved that the Issi Classic is more customizable than the Ellie? Aka, the most requested GTA car maybe ever?

Yeah. Granted, it has things that older cars didn't get (decals/liveries, newer engine/exhaust mods), but even the Penumbra has more customisation potential.

That's why I still think a Dominator Classic proper (or Dominator Retro Custom - or even an Ellie Custom) wouldn't go amiss, with Benny's-level customisation. Even if it's just a variant of the Ellie, using the same underlying model (bit like how people want a Comet Classic based on the Comet Retro Custom), it'd be good to be able to play around with bumper options, more hoods, spoilers, rear louvers, etc.

• Mach1bud and NT2YIELD like this

Aggregate Demand
  • Aggregate Demand

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago Edited by Aggregate Demand, 3 days ago.

30167521_259776191231343_291557714910872

30168020_259777641231198_630564615295020

30425717_259776804564615_354406671073023

29983215_259778681231094_538207673502651

30171328_259778847897744_258626411542611

30051820_259777941231168_194218513335830

• erased, Arrows to Athens, RoiRasmus and 4 others like this

SMC-93
  • SMC-93

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

Yeah. Granted, it has things that older cars didn't get (decals/liveries, newer engine/exhaust mods), but even the Penumbra has more customisation potential.

That's why I still think a Dominator Classic proper (or Dominator Retro Custom - or even an Ellie Custom) wouldn't go amiss, with Benny's-level customisation. Even if it's just a variant of the Ellie, using the same underlying model (bit like how people want a Comet Classic based on the Comet Retro Custom), it'd be good to be able to play around with bumper options, more hoods, spoilers, rear louvers, etc.

I think the reason this car seems so neglected is because the model was made a long time ago. A leaker (don't remember which one, seems everyone and their mom is a GTA leaker now) mentioned a list of "filler cars" that rockstar had already fully modeled and was just waiting to release. They probably designed the Ellie with the customization standards of the time and low resolution engine, and it kept getting pushed to the back burner in favor of all the shark card bait cookie cutter supercars. When you compare it to the other high quality cars from this update, it looks out of place, like a car from a year or two ago.
  • xDatxJunkyx and NT2YIELD like this

RoiRasmus
  • RoiRasmus

Dont worry, be happy

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 2 days ago

eVORAWa.jpg

gzyZPfy.jpg

nNllRJM.jpg

• Mach1bud, DuduLima, Commander S and 1 other like this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 2 days ago

I think the reason this car seems so neglected is because the model was made a long time ago. A leaker (don't remember which one, seems everyone and their mom is a GTA leaker now) mentioned a list of "filler cars" that rockstar had already fully modeled and was just waiting to release. They probably designed the Ellie with the customization standards of the time and low resolution engine, and it kept getting pushed to the back burner in favor of all the shark card bait cookie cutter supercars. When you compare it to the other high quality cars from this update, it looks out of place, like a car from a year or two ago.

Thing is, though, it has a bunch of customisation options that are at least as new as 2015 - some of the custom hood/exhaust options swap the engine to the more detailed V8 model seen on lowriders at Benny's (albeit with no customisation - same with the Hustler and Hermes), and decal/livery options didn't exist prior to 2015, either (the earliest example being the wraps on the Windsor). Also, the unique interior parts are more comparable to things like the Infernus Classic and Rapid GT Classic than the more generic interiors of 2013-2016.

Besides, like I said, launch-era things like the Penumbra still have more body mods than this - and while the Hustler had a decent amount of bodywork customisation, the Hermes ...not so much. I'm more inclined to put it down to the artists having less time and resources allocated per car - maybe partly because this is a quick filler update, but also because if R* will insist on adding a dozen cars per update, then there's only so much that can be done per car, time/manpower-wise. See also: Lowriders (all the cars were updates of existing vehicles, using shared modular assets, allowing for more work to be done on the custom parts themselves), or Special Vehicle Circuit (only a handful of new cars, but with better models as standard, and no cars with bare-minimum customisation).

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Coolest GTA Member 2017
    Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Mach1bud, 2 days ago.

I assume that many of the cars in this update, including Ellie, are indeed left over cars from old gen.

I believe they just updated them for current gen and released them now. That's the reason why many of the cars are a little...off. That is why Ellie reuses the engine options from the Rapid GT Classic, and that is why things like the hood and exhaust are tied together on this car. Easier to update the car by packaging mods together. Liveries are an easy thing to add that makes it seem like there are more mods than there really are, that's why almost every vehicle has them now.
  • Frenchtone83 likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 2 days ago

Thing is, though, some of the cars are off in ways that crept in later - I don't know exactly who the current art team is (I know a few people who are listed as doing vehicle work for R* North at present, but that's it - nothing specific about who's doing what with regards to GTAO), but there are definitely folk who were involved with V (and thus early GTAO) who've moved on since. That'd mean that there's been some turnover in CG artists over the years, and I'd say that accounts for why after a point, certain DLC cars have been somewhat sub-par in terms of sculpt and design (I'm convinced that the Jester Classic and the Lynx are the work of the same hands, for example).

The Ellie looks like it has a higher poly count than the Dominator - the wheel arches have smoother curves as a result (someone on PC correct me if I'm wrong, though). What I would say, though, is that it might have been designed in tandem with the Rapid GT Classic - hence the shared parts, the Mustang-ish fogs on the RGTC, that sort of thing. I don't think it's a leftover model - I just reckon that there's been a fair amount of corner-cutting done - and R*'s apparent need to have a filler update still have over a dozen cars doesn't exactly help, like I said. :turn:

IceDree
  • IceDree

Concierge Of Crime 💀

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Mister Los Santos 2017 Runner-Up

Posted 2 days ago

bb464ba8-85fb-4242-aa4b-7de494c6c5d7.PNG

It's greeeeeeeeeen ......
  • Arrows to Athens and Mach1bud like this

General_Z
  • General_Z

Some guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

The dominator classic was requested, not this thing  

• NT2YIELD likes this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
    Coolest Member 2016

Posted 2 days ago

This is the Dominator Classic whether or not you like how they did it. It was clearly suspposed to be it. The grill (which is shared with the Dominator) is a dead giveaway.
  • Commander S, 79'Blazer4x4, carnerd3000 and 1 other like this

carnerd3000
  • carnerd3000

Car Collector, Racer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner

Posted 2 days ago

This is the Dominator Classic whether or not you like how they did it. It was clearly suspposed to be it. The grill (which is shared with the Dominator) is a dead giveaway.

That's what I think too.

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• GTAF Crew
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 2 days ago

That's what I think too.

Agree but kind of weird they didn't named it the Dominator Classic but I get it at the same time because the movie.

Eleanor/Ellie.
  • Commander S, 79'Blazer4x4 and carnerd3000 like this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 2 days ago

Side-by-side with the Dominator, I definitely reckon that the combination of Mustangs (and Barracuda... :p) used was done with the aim of looking like an older Dominator. Glad they went that route, too - it's nice to have that kind of in-game lineage, mirroring the evolution of their real-life counterparts. :)

Still, 'Ellie' is a bit of a weird name, because it just doesn't sound like an official Ford Vapid name. I know 'Eleanor' because movie, but that's a nickname - and even that's the full name, not an informal contraction. After all, would you really expect to walk into a dealership and buy the new 'Vauxhall Liz'? Doubt it, somehow! ;)

At least that still leaves 'Dominator Classic' (or better, IMO: Retro Custom) on the table - hypothetically, at least. We could really do with some proper muscle car customisation before updates dry up completely, and some kind of Mustang-ish thing would be good - but making an Ellie variant that's just the same car with better mods would render this version obsolute. Meanwhile, a new car that's a bit more stock, based on a different incarnation of the 1st-gen 'Stang, while leaving the Ellie as a prefab custom version? Again, in theory that'd be a good idea, says me.

• Fatsanchez likes this

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• GTAF Crew
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Kushology, A day ago.

After all, would you really expect to walk into a dealership and buy the new 'Vauxhall Liz'? Doubt it, somehow! ;)

No but I'd buy a Hennessy Ivy play on words to the Venom, also a girl name..

And also some of us literally did do that but off a website. :pp

There's a concept car called the 'Zeus Twelve', little sportier than this..but I'd twist it, P3 short for Poseidon Three, play on words at the same time, also another greek god.

(Look at the design of the car too.)
Spoiler

Could be a Grotti, successor to the '13 Cheetah.

Has same styling only more, 'updated'.

DuduLima
  • DuduLima

Street Racer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 2 days ago Edited by DuduLima, 2 days ago.

Finally bought this ride, man .... i feel the engine can give it more, i feel this ride is somewat limited, yet damn ... it looks and handle fine and as i saw here i can agree the Mamba handling would made it better but .... after driving around ... damn ....

03-04-2018_23-28-26.png

03-04-2018_23-05-30.png

03-04-2018_23-22-22.png

03-04-2018_23-17-57.png

16-04-2018_14-48-52.png

07-04-2018_05-25-48.png

And since i had a red GT500 in NFS Carbon ... i can't forget about this obligatory sound, freeroam was such a nice place.

• Mach1bud, Commander S, Kushology and 2 others like this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
    Coolest Member 2016

Posted 2 days ago

Yeah I admit Ellie is an odd choice. I think it is the only car in the game with a human name lol. I mean, we all get the reference.

In a way it kind of makes Ellie unique. Like, I see people referring to it as-

-I am really enjoying driving around Ellie.

Instead of this-

-I am really enjoying driving around the Flash GT.

See what I mean? It's like Ellie is more than just a car. It's a character in it's own right. Just like Eleanor. Maybe I am overthinking it lol.
  • Commander S, Kushology, 79'Blazer4x4 and 3 others like this

Fatsanchez
  • Fatsanchez

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A day ago

^Maybe thats why she is one of my favorites despite being so slow and tamed.
  • Kushology likes this

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• GTAF Crew
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted A day ago

Yeah..she's a good ride. ;)

:lol:
  • Mach1bud and Fatsanchez like this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A day ago Edited by Commander S, A day ago.

Finally bought this ride, man .... i feel the engine can give it more, i feel this ride is somewat limited, yet damn ... it looks and handle fine and as i saw here i can agree the Mamba handling would made it better but .... after driving around ... damn ....

03-04-2018_23-28-26.png

Aw, wow - that's more or less what I was going to go for before I decided to try the white/black route. Looks awesome!  :^:

Still, I'm quite satisfied with this - tried cream, but it's too sand-y, rather than off-white, so ice white it is, then...

EcDuVx2.png

TA0Gtoz.png

Besides, it's a lighting thing as much as anything - depending on time of day and the light source available, it looks pretty close to the look I'm trying to recreate:

Spoiler

Rockett800
  • Rockett800

Atom Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago

Personally I see it as a nickname that's stuck, you know? Like how the Olds 88 is known as the Rocket for it's motor. People just started calling this old Dom "Ellie" and now it's stuck. I think the same for the Hustler, too. The 30's didn't really have car names like that. I think of it as a Vapid Model H, affectionately known as the Hustler due to it's drag heritage. Like the A-Bones and T buckets.
  • Mach1bud, 79'Blazer4x4 and J-Scott-D like this

Arrows to Athens
  • Arrows to Athens

Proud Pigalle Owner

• Members
  • England

Posted A day ago Edited by Arrows to Athens, A day ago.

bb464ba8-85fb-4242-aa4b-7de494c6c5d7.PNG

It's greeeeeeeeeen ......

maxresdefault.jpg

Suzuki Azure Vulpine
  • Suzuki Azure Vulpine

Paleto Bay's Resident Blue Vixen

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 hours ago

XwrX5wi.jpg
MLnVCLI.jpg
Fitting music for this, given it was the music that sparked the idea for these pictures:

• 79'Blazer4x4 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users