17 replies to this topic
Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:08 AM

From IGN

The Tracking Board reports Chad and Carey Hayes, who wrote both The Conjuring movies, will work on the screenplay for the next Die Hard entry. Earlier reports suggested the film will be an origin story featuring a young John McClane as a regular cop in 1970s New York.

I remember hearing about how they wanted a 6th installment to feature a younger McClane, although I wasn't crazy about this idea. Rather than Bruce Willis pretending to be himself when he's in his 20s (which I was kind of hoping they'd do at first because it'd look hilarious), they were gonna hire a different actor to play the young McClane, and it'd go back and forth between those flashback scenes and modern-day old McClane in some other situation. Who knows if the Conjuring's writers are gonna keep any elements from that or not, but I just don't know if I'd be into that. Especially depending on what they'd even have him doing in the 70s. When the first Die Hard took place, he was thrust into a situation that was supposed to be unlike anything he's been in before. But if they have him fighting off terrorists or whatever crazy enemies there are in an event when he's in his 20s, it would kind of take away that feeling the first film had that he was new to this sort of thing.

Also, does anyone else think that Willis is just getting too old at this point for a series like this? He's 62 already and they aren't even close to filming this, plus his acting in his latest action role in the remake of 'Death Wish' was pretty much not good. He's been known for being a pain in the ass to work with for over a decade now, but I think his boredom/tiredness is really starting to show these days.

As much as I love the Die Hard series (specifically the original and 'With a Vengeance,' both of which are amazing films), I feel like it's time to just end it already and leave it be. I didn't think we'd even see anything after 4. And the 5th was more like a generic action movie and was terrible compared to the others.

• Lock n' Stock, iBUCKEYE, Ivan1997GTA and 1 other like this

AiŽaCobŽa
  • AiŽaCobŽa

Ban Roulette Winner 2017

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Solomon-Islands
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by AiŽaCobŽa, 4 weeks ago.

I agree the Die Hard series need to do that Die Hard

I myself love the die hard movies especially the first four, Die Hard, Die Hard 2, Die Hard With a Vengences and Live Free or Die Hard but it's time for the series to die the last one set in Russia just sucked beyond balls and I have a feeling the sixth installment won't be any better.

These directors and movie studios need to know when it's time to put an end to a successful movie series such as Fast & Furious that series should've stopped a while ago as well. 

• Hmmm nice bike, Lock n' Stock, iBUCKEYE and 1 other like this

ARTHUR.
  • ARTHUR.

narc

• $outh $ide Doodz
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Die Hard should die hard tbh.

• Lock n' Stock, iBUCKEYE and Puss in Boots like this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

If you're going to do another one then make it a role reversal. Have a Nakotomi style situation with somebody else in the building but have McClaine be on the outside talking to that someone. Basically he becomes the Powell character from the first film. This is the only way to make it fresh. Now, with that said, who would you like to be the "McClaine" in that story?

• Hmmm nice bike and Lock n' Stock like this

Lock n' Stock
  • Lock n' Stock

"I don't fit in anywhere!"

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Lock N' Stock, 4 weeks ago.

The original trilogy was brilliant, the first is easily up there with one of the all-time greats of the action genre (only T2 Judgement Day tops it, imo). Hell, I even enjoyed the fourth movie for what is was because in spite of it's inconsistencies with previous films, it at least had some good action scenes and some old-school McClane wisecracks.

The fifth movie however was absolute sh*t. The ugly, visual style and incoherent action scenes were bad enough, but then you had a bunch of forgettable villains and worst of all, that insufferable little c*nt Jack who does nothing but whinge and moan at his dad (despite how many times John saves his arse). To be honest, I knew it was DOA once I found out they'd hired the director of that crap Max Payne film. After that trainwreck, I really don't have any hopes for a sixth film. A prequel especially sounds like a terrible idea and if anything would just screw with the original. What would even be worth showing in McClane's life before his night at Nakatomi Plaza?

If anything, they should at least bring back Sgt. Powell. He was only in the second film for a brief moment and we haven't seen or known what's become of him since.

• Hmmm nice bike, iBUCKEYE and Neon_Dreaming like this

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Hmmm nice bike, 4 weeks ago.

If you're going to do another one then make it a role reversal. Have a Nakotomi style situation with somebody else in the building but have McClaine be on the outside talking to that someone. Basically he becomes the Powell character from the first film. This is the only way to make it fresh. Now, with that said, who would you like to be the "McClaine" in that story?

So in that case, I guess it's like handing the reigns of the series over from McClane to somebody else (even if it's just for one final film). If anybody were to become the McClane of that story, I'd hope that it's not Jack McClane. I did not like his character one bit, or the actor.

The original trilogy was brilliant, the first is easily up there with one of the all-time greats of the action genre (only T2 Judgement Day tops it, imo). Hell, I even enjoyed the fourth movie for what is was because in spite of it's inconsistencies with previous films, it at least had some good action scenes and some old-school McClane wisecracks.

The fifth movie however was absolute sh*t. The ugly visual style and incoherent action scenes were bad enough, but then you had a bunch of forgettable villains and worst of all, that insufferable little c*nt Jack who does nothing but whinge and moan at this dad (despite how many times John saves his arse). To be honest, I knew it was DOA once I found out they'd hired the director of that crap Max Payne film. After that trainwreck, I really don't have any hopes for a sixth film. A prequel especially sounds like a terrible idea and if anything would just screw with the original. What would even be worth showing in McClane's life before his night at Nakatomi Plaza?

If anything, they should at least bring back Sgt. Powell. He was only in the second film for a brief moment and we haven't seen or known what's become of him since.

Die Hard 1 is absolutely among one of the greatest action movies ever, I think I preferred the third film as my personal favorite in the series but there's no denying that 1 is still amazing. Even 2 wasn't a bad film for a sequel, but it wasn't as direct of a sequel as 'With a Vengeance.' I actually didn't like 4 that much when I first saw it in theaters, but I ended up getting the DVD for Christmas later that year and the movie grew on me. It wasn't a bad entry to the series, but it still wasn't the best one. If that had been the last film, it would have been fine.

A lot of the villains in 5 just seemed like random stock action movie villains. There was nothing truly memorable about them, I thought the singing cab driver was a more memorable character than them. Jack was a terrible character, as well. Plus, there was a load of random stuff that I just found to be annoying. Like McClane driving over people's cars and probably hurting or killing a bunch of innocent people, or the fact that the filmmakers evidently forgot that Chernobyl is not in Russia, yet they managed to make it there in record time and cross the Russia/Ukraine border with a car full of guns. And then the fact that some magic spray apparently reduces radiation, and John McClane is impervious to radiation poisoning and massive falls. I know it's an action movie and you obviously have to have some suspension of disbelief, but the original Die Hard films did not have nearly this many complete lapses in logic and near-invincibility of the protagonists (plus, I really can't help but nitpick when it's a sh*tty movie).

I don't think there'd be much reason at all to show McClane's life before the Nakatomi incident, and if it turned out that he fought off some terrorists or even really experienced bank robbers/mafia before that film all single-handedly, then it'd kind of make the importance of what happened at Nakatomi Plaza irrelevant since fighting a bunch of crazy guys on his own would be like no big deal to him by that point (and on top of that, unless they can find someone who looks almost exactly like Bruce Willis, then McClane's appearance would have also changed drastically in about a decade and he'd look like a completely different guy). But I always wondered whatever happened to Powell. I guess you could say that after transferring back to NY and going into his alcoholism, McClane either hardly ever spoke to him anymore or just completely lost contact with him. A reference or a small appearance in the fourth film would have been a nice touch though.

• Lock n' Stock likes this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I should've been a little more specific - I was asking which actor you want to be in the building talking to Willis/McClaine. Like Tom Hardy, Keanu Reeves, etc.

AiŽaCobŽa
  • AiŽaCobŽa

Ban Roulette Winner 2017

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Solomon-Islands

Posted 4 weeks ago

Keanu Reeves wouldn't be too bad although I think the only movie of his I remember is Speed.

He didn't even do Speed 2 they just hired a look alike to play Alex
  • Lock n' Stock likes this

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Keanu Reeves wouldn't be too bad although I think the only movie of his I remember is Speed.

It's been so long since I've watched Speed 2, I forgot about Alex. I guess their intention was to bring back Keanu Reeves but they had to settle for the bootleg Keanu Reeves instead.

I think an actor in his 30s or 40s being a 'new McClane' would be fine. Keanu's already 53, not that that's old but it's a bit too old if they were gonna try to go for a guy who isn't anywhere near retirement yet. It also shouldn't be someone too young like Jack was in Die Hard 5 (nor should it be Jack at all). I was thinking maybe someone like Idris Elba or Chris Pratt.

AiŽaCobŽa
  • AiŽaCobŽa

Ban Roulette Winner 2017

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Solomon-Islands

Posted 4 weeks ago

Those two would be decent actors but doesn't matter who you get if the story line sucks balls
  • Hmmm nice bike likes this

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hence, why I really think the series should just be left alone. I read another story idea proposed by some screenwriter a few years ago that would have had McClane in Japan at the Nakatomi Corporation world headquarters, where he would have found himself in almost the same situation as the first movie except he was invited by corporate to commemorate the anniversary of him saving the hostages that worked for their company. Basically, a sort of "it ends where it began" type of story, and Samuel L. Jackson's character Zeus would return, too. No idea how they'd manage to do that though, since Zeus had nothing to do with anything at Nakatomi and in DH3 when McClane mentioned what happened there, Zeus sounded like he didn't really care about it. At the same time, Zeus is another character that I still wondered what happened with after the movie, but he shouldn't just be shoehorned into the story for no reason.

https://www.shortlis...-to-japan/86923

Is this The Guy?
  • Is this The Guy?

I don’t have to take this, I’m going home

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

You have to watch John Wick

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I like the Die Hard series barring the fifth. I remember seeing A Good Day to Die Hard in the cinema and was very disappointed. Just a poor movie, didn't really care about the plot, his son was constantly complaining and the action was nothing special despite a decent budget.

They even censored his carchphrase, yippee-ki-yay-motherf*cker, when he said motherf*cker an explosion drowned out his voice. Gotta get that lower age rating to get more people to see it.

A sixth seems like more nostalgia milking. I don't think Bruce Willis is too old, Denzel Washington who is a similar age pulled off action scenes pretty well in The Equalizer a few years back. I just think the series has run out of steam at this stage.

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

They even censored his carchphrase, yippee-ki-yay-motherf*cker, when he said motherf*cker an explosion drowned out his voice. Gotta get that lower age rating to get more people to see it.

A sixth seems like more nostalgia milking. I don't think Bruce Willis is too old, Denzel Washington who is a similar age pulled off action scenes pretty well in The Equalizer a few years back. I just think the series has run out of steam at this stage.

Wow, I don't actually remember the catchphrase being censored in Die Hard 5, but I remember when it was in the fourth movie. They wanted a PG-13 rating for it here in the US and the movie had hardly any swearing, instead we got "Yippie-ki-yay, mother-"*GUNSHOT* It sounded bad in the theater, it was like an edited version that they show on TV (but at least he didn't say "Mr. Falcon" with a weird accent in a completely different voice).

I think Bruce Willis himself has also run out of steam. He seems almost bored being in movies now, and it feels like he's basically just showing up for the paychecks at this point but not even trying hard anymore. And behind the scenes, he seems miserable.
  • Neon_Dreaming likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2017 Contribution [Liberty City Stories: PC]
    Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 3 weeks ago

Die Hard used to be one of my all time fave film series, ...USED TO BE. Remember when Die Hard 2 was the bad one? :p

Die Hard with A Vengeance was the peak for me because of the atmosphere it captured in that film (Original being just a hair behind) and each new one they've tried since just feels less like a regular guy shoved into a situation and more like an action hero taking up a fight, just compare the set pieces in Vengeance to Live Free, there's a massive jump in scale which just tips it off to the ridiculous zone and don't even get me started on the fifth one. Turning McClane into a PG-13 action stunt man was the worst choice they ever did and seriously dampened the series.
  • Hmmm nice bike and Lock n' Stock like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

I thought the original trilogy were the best, but Live Free Or Die Hard was pretty good as well.

Only one i dislike was the newest one A Good Day To Die Hard because i thought it was a mess & not to mention Jai Courtney i couldn't stand him at all ...Hate that actor lol

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Die Hard used to be one of my all time fave film series, ...USED TO BE. Remember when Die Hard 2 was the bad one? :p

Die Hard with A Vengeance was the peak for me because of the atmosphere it captured in that film (Original being just a hair behind) and each new one they've tried since just feels less like a regular guy shoved into a situation and more like an action hero taking up a fight, just compare the set pieces in Vengeance to Live Free, there's a massive jump in scale which just tips it off to the ridiculous zone and don't even get me started on the fifth one. Turning McClane into a PG-13 action stunt man was the worst choice they ever did and seriously dampened the series.

I do remember when Die Hard 2 was considered "the bad one!" Even then, it's still a good movie, but I know when I was younger it was my least-favorite in the series.

I agree that Vengeance was the peak of the series, too. McClane as an everyman was also better than McClane the superhero. One thing I liked about the original 3 films is that he'd actually get hurt and couldn't just run around dodging every single bullet or cleverly avoiding traps like glass all over the floor while he's barefoot. Also, when it comes to the first and third films, it felt like it heavily relied on the narratives and dialogue a lot. 'A Good Day' seemed way more simple. Funny how the Die Hard films that were all originally written as other movies (in particular, Die Hard was meant to be a sequel to 'Commando' with Arnold Schwarzenegger, and 'Vengeance' was originally meant to be a Brandon Lee film) ended up being great, while the one that they wrote specifically as a Die Hard film to begin with was terrible and could have easily been any generic straight-to-Netflix action film.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2017 Contribution [Liberty City Stories: PC]
    Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 3 weeks ago

I honestly wish there was some way for John McTiernan to return if that's the case since he and Willis got along and seemed to know what Die Hard should be under his wing, unlike Die Hard now where you can tell (as with most of his roles these days) Willis is only doing it for the money. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sin City was the last film he did where he wanted to do it, that's the last one I recall him being very positive about.
  • Hmmm nice bike likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users