Seems like V8 guys get so much hate.

12 replies to this topic
AndYuKnowTHIS
  • AndYuKnowTHIS

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:56 PM

I'm 1 of those V8 guy and I try not to be an ass, though I can't help but laugh sometimes.

V6s have come a long way and are very respectable. Just look at the R34 Skyline, Infiniti, etc. Even the new Ford GT is a turbo v6.

That said, I'm a very firm believer in v8s being the best when it comes to American muscle. Been doing some research on Challengers and there seems to be a lot of guys buying the v6, then supercharging it which then beats the v8. I understand some don't care for performance and just want to look good. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to not buy the v8. American muscle cars have always been about the v8, no less. I mean would you buy an 4 Cylinder R34 Skyline? So why buy American without the v8? Gas mileage is a bad excuse seeing as most v8s can get 26mpg, some even having the ability to deactivate cylinders. Some will probably say I'm stuck in the old ways and to move forward. Move forward? We are moving forward. The Corvette continues to dominate 200k+ vehicles. The Camaro SS is beating BMW around the track. And the Mustang more or less doing the same. I think the v8 is here to stay tbh, and will continue to get better as time goes on.

I hope to buy Challenger in the near and it will most definitely be the v8.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

V8s are heavy: V6s can be turbocharged to match the power of a V8, while keeping a much lighter nose, which will improve handling, and a lower mileage.

Sure, you can get 26mpg on a V8; a V6 can give you 30+mpg. You'll spend 20% less at the pump, which can make a big difference in the end.

Don't really understand where you're coming from with V8 guys getting "so much hate" though. 

For me, I don't care so much what engine the car has; I care about how much fun/how good it is to drive it. My ND Miata is a I4, and it's a sh*tload of fun.

Noale
  • Noale

Got baguettes?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:18 AM

Where are you seeing this? I go to a lot of meets, GTGs, and shows, and it's rare for someone to talk badly of motors. That's if the topic of motors even comes up at all. If you mean the idiots on Youtube who are praising I4s and V6s beating V8s and saying "hahaha V8 lost", then don't pay attention to them. I guarantee you most of them are keyboard racers, who probably don't even have a license yet. We're at a point where 4 cylinders can beat anything else out there provided you're willing to put the money into it, and it shouldn't come across as surprising.

As for why I don't use a V8, it's not that I have a problem with them. I even considered swapping an LS engine into my car. However, before buying a muscle car, I would sooner buy a Nissan GTR, send it to AMS, and toy with any RWD car I come across. I'd also consider just buying an E60 M5 with that beautiful sounding V10 before I get a V8 muscle car.

So, nothing against V8 muscle cars. It's just that there are other cars that I'd choose before getting one.

The only thing I've been noticing is that some people can't accept the fact that American muscle cars are getting better at handling. Those people are just being foolish. But their hate is directed more generally towards the entire car being American, rather than the motor itself.

• Tchuck and Audi like this

AndYuKnowTHIS
  • AndYuKnowTHIS

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:18 AM Edited by AndYuKnowTHIS, 01 March 2018 - 04:23 AM.

V8s are heavy: V6s can be turbocharged to match the power of a V8, while keeping a much lighter nose, which will improve handling, and a lower mileage.
Sure, you can get 26mpg on a V8; a V6 can give you 30+mpg. You'll spend 20% less at the pump, which can make a big difference in the end.

Don't really understand where you're coming from with V8 guys getting "so much hate" though. 

For me, I don't care so much what engine the car has; I care about how much fun/how good it is to drive it. My ND Miata is a I4, and it's a sh*tload of fun.

Yet the Corvette still dominates

Sure you can add turbos, but that takes away reliability.

And when it's comes to sports cars, who cares about mpg? Like I said some can even deactivate cylinders

Where are you seeing this? I go to a lot of meets, GTGs, and shows, and it's rare for someone to talk badly of motors. That's if the topic of motors even comes up at all. If you mean the idiots on Youtube who are praising I4s and V6s beating V8s and saying "hahaha V8 lost", then don't pay attention to them. I guarantee you most of them are keyboard racers, who probably don't even have a license yet. We're at a point where 4 cylinders can beat anything else out there provided you're willing to put the money into it, and it shouldn't come across as surprising.

As for why I don't use a V8, it's not that I have a problem with them. I even considered swapping an LS engine into my car. However, before buying a muscle car, I would sooner buy a Nissan GTR, send it to AMS, and toy with any RWD car I come across. I'd also consider just buying an E60 M5 with that beautiful sounding V10 before I get a V8 muscle car.

So, nothing against V8 muscle cars. It's just that there are other cars that I'd choose before getting one.
The only thing I've been noticing is that some people can't accept the fact that American muscle cars are getting better at handling. Those people are just being foolish. But their hate is directed more generally towards the entire car being American, rather than the motor itself.

When I was researching Challengers a lot of the V6s would brah about super charging their engine and beating v8s

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:48 AM Edited by Outcast, 01 March 2018 - 04:50 AM.

I, for one, love American cars. The old-timers in vehicle chat can attest to my bizarre love for the Cadillac DTS and other, rather mundane, cars like the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ. I also own a Hummer H2, which also happens to be the car I've held on to longest. In addition to that, I've also owned various cars with that run the whole range of engine configurations which include:

W12 - Audi A8L, Bentley Conti Flying Spur

V12 - W140 Merc S600

V8 - Infiniti Q45, Merc G500

V6 - W221 Merc S350

I6 - BMW 1M, BMW 740Li

Flat-6 - Porsche 911

I4 - BMW E30 318i

Flat-4 - VW Karmann Ghia

What I've decided is that the sweet spot, for me at least, is 6 cylinders. In terms of driving dynamics because the less weight you have to carry, the better, and the extra weight in the V8 doesn't justify the diminishing levels of power compared to modern turbocharged 6s. There just isn't a case for V8s anymore with smaller engines providing close-as-to-makes-no-difference levels of power and better fuel economy, yes I know modern V8s have cylinder deactivation but then you're just lugging an extra 4 cylinders around with you. Despite all that though, My daily is a G-Wagen with a 5.0 V8 in it :lol:

• Tchuck, Zyo and Audi like this

Noale
  • Noale

Got baguettes?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:52 AM

I should also point out that you said this

I understand some don't care for performance and just want to look good. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to not buy the v8.

Implying that people only buy the V6 so they have the look of the muscle car, without the performance. And that there is absolutely no other reason to go with a V6. Well I think you're forgetting a pretty big reason. Price.

Also, the Corvette is a great car. I'm a fan of it. But as I stated before, I'd rather get a Porsche 911 or a Nissan GTR before a Corvette. Neither of them get "dominated" by the Corvette. And both are 6 cylinders.  :lol:

• Tchuck likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Ännu en dag, ännu ett slag, i betongens krävande skugga

• Sheriff
  • European-Union
  • Best Poster in Debates 2017
    Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

V6s have come a long way

Just look at the R34 Skyline

Er, you might want to check your facts there.
  • Tchuck likes this

Noale
  • Noale

Got baguettes?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

Ah yes. Something is definitely not in line there.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

I'm 1 of those V8 guy and I try not to be an ass, though I can't help but laugh sometimes.

V6s have come a long way and are very respectable. Just look at the R34 Skyline, Infiniti, etc. Even the new Ford GT is a turbo v6.

That said, I'm a very firm believer in v8s being the best when it comes to American muscle. Been doing some research on Challengers and there seems to be a lot of guys buying the v6, then supercharging it which then beats the v8. I understand some don't care for performance and just want to look good. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to not buy the v8. American muscle cars have always been about the v8, no less. I mean would you buy an 4 Cylinder R34 Skyline? So why buy American without the v8? Gas mileage is a bad excuse seeing as most v8s can get 26mpg, some even having the ability to deactivate cylinders. Some will probably say I'm stuck in the old ways and to move forward. Move forward? We are moving forward. The Corvette continues to dominate 200k+ vehicles. The Camaro SS is beating BMW around the track. And the Mustang more or less doing the same. I think the v8 is here to stay tbh, and will continue to get better as time goes on.

I hope to buy Challenger in the near and it will most definitely be the v8.

I see no hurt in whatever engine. It is largely horses for courses. The V8 seemed the most practical, servicable and utiliterian the Americans and Australians could find. It gave a good all round torque and power potential without being over weight or unreliable. Ferrari famously made 2 litre 8's and 12's and while potent, were very fragile and in need of constant attention. England and Germany were very good with 6's and got great reliability out of them as well as great oomph, but a lot also depended on the size of the car and nature of the roads. 6's are lighter and have the ability to rev harder. Also NA engines tend to have smoother power delivery campared to charged engines (traditionally speaking). Add a light car and you have a giant killer when you add tight turns and some point and squirt momentum, but...

Hard revved 4's and 6's are thirsty and must be fed more often. A lazy and torquey 8 doesn't and when you've long, easy roads a nice 4-5 litre 8 has the pull to weight to cruise as little cost, Poke it a little and you can get some impressive responses. Don't expect and return around town, but if you do plenty of driving a good 8 is best bang for buck on long journeys.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:21 AM

Yet the Corvette still dominates

Dominates... what exactly? The Porsche 911 Turbo can beat it on 0-60. So can your run of the mill Tesla. Other cars in the same price range can also handle better than it. So, dominates what?

Sure you can add turbos, but that takes away reliability.

And when it's comes to sports cars, who cares about mpg? Like I said some can even deactivate cylinders

See now, if you say "who cares about mpg" I can counter with "who cares about reliability" when it comes to sports car. So the V6 can be tuned to eat a V8. A V10 can be tuned to obliterate a V8 even more. An electric motor can be built to completely and utterly crush a V8. 

It's a stupid argument to have.

And yeah, failed to see the masses of car people sh*tting on the V8.

• Outcast likes this

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:30 AM

I love my V8.  Definitely haven't heard anybody hating on it.  Although, people do talk about the F150 with the EcoBoost and how they are getting similar power from a twin turbo V6.  But they also aren't getting any better gas mileage than my V8, which was supposed to be the point.  I will say this, though.  A simple tune on the EcoBoost will add a bunch of power.  It can't beat the noise that comes out my tailpipes, though.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

I never really cared about my MPG until I got my G-Wagen. I use an app called Drivvo to keep track of my fuel expenses, and it's hard not to care about your MPG when you're spending a third of the average annual salary of an office worker just on gas. Lol

• Tchuck and Cudwieser like this

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:18 PM

Must be a bit different around where you lived. Try getting around in a rotary in a country where the majority of performance cars going around are powered by a V8.

Honestly though, even comparing factory cars with different power plants is like comparing apples with potatoes even before you get to those that have been modified. Pick any new car on the market and you could build something that will flog the doors off it down or around any track for a fraction of the price. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users