GTA 4 driving should make a return

105 replies to this topic
.Bach
  • .Bach

λ

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

I would take GTA IV's driving mechanics over V's any day.

• Algonquin Assassin and AlbanyEsperanto like this

VictorVance1239
  • VictorVance1239

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:05 PM Edited by VictorVance1239, 27 February 2018 - 08:06 PM.

I wish Rockstar would bring it back as an option to use alongside the arcade one in Free Mode, and also either give it it's own set of races or simply have the host of a session choose the style. Mixing the two together however would probably be a bad idea.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

SpaceJelloYT
  • SpaceJelloYT

Everybody's working for the weekend!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:55 PM

Wow i didn't know this would get so popular

Anyway, for comparison sake

Heres 2 videos of someone driving around in GTA 4 and 5, Notice how GTA IV's is more suspension like, while GTA 5's is more like an arcade game

GTA 4: Credits= SpaceJelloYT(me)

GTA 5: Credits = Carrythxd

I think the perfect blend between GTA 4 and 5 is in gta 5..the money truck, yes the stockade its big but i feel like its the realest handling car in the game.

• Mister Pink likes this

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
  • Best Scenery [Snap] 2017
    Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015
    Best Filtered [Snap] 2015

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:29 AM Edited by _MK_, 28 February 2018 - 07:32 AM.

I wish Rockstar would bring it back as an option to use alongside the arcade one in Free Mode, and also either give it it's own set of races or simply have the host of a session choose the style. Mixing the two together however would probably be a bad idea.

It's never coming back,Rockstar aims for realism,that's when it hit them on the head when it came to IV's driving physics realizing they placed boats on solid concrete.

Many things should make a come back from IV,driving physics shouldn't be one of them.

• Lioshenka and Am Shaegar like this

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:26 AM

I can't imagine driving in the V map with IV's driving physics without flipping my car every minute. I think the driving physics compliment each map's design.

• Lioshenka and jazzbone like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:50 AM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 28 February 2018 - 09:52 AM.

Thats not a bad idea actually. Like how the Mafia games give an option between normal and simulation physics.

Id hate to be stuck with GTA Vs watered down, Midnight Club: LA knockoff physics again so an option to switch between the two would probably be better than pissing off one side of the fan base.
  • PaddsterG2k3, Tycek, Yinepi and 2 others like this

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

Hell no, I don't understand why people in so much love with iv's driving physics, that annoying physics that tries to be realistic but suck all fun out of the game.
  • Lioshenka, jazzbone and Am Shaegar like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Stroopwafel Deluxe

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

No thanks, I prefer driving mechanics that actually work. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:15 PM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 28 February 2018 - 02:15 PM.

Hell no, I don't understand why people in so much love with iv's driving physics, that annoying physics that tries to be realistic but suck all fun out of the game.

I don't understand why it's so hard for you and the guy on the page who said something similar to understand that people love GTA IV's because it's what pertains to their tastes. Reasons are made crystal clear.

It's not a matter of not being able to understand. You just don't want to.

• VictorVance1239 likes this

VictorVance1239
  • VictorVance1239

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

It's really not hard to understand that people are going to have a different opinion than you (not aiming that at anyone specifically) so that's why I think Rockstar should have the 2 options so that there's something for everyone. More options = more sells, which = good money/good business decision. 

I hope it happens. 

• Algonquin Assassin and TheOneLibertonian like this

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
    Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:56 PM Edited by _MK_, 28 February 2018 - 02:58 PM.

It's not about opinion or taste,it's about what's real and what's not,fantasies like boat cars don't belong in GTA,Rockstar did a mistake with IV and that was the end of it.

• jazzbone, Am Shaegar and Sleepwalking like this

VictorVance1239
  • VictorVance1239

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

Well that is an opinion though because GTA IV's driving never felt like a boat to me. 

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, .Bach and 2 others like this

SpaceJelloYT
  • SpaceJelloYT

Everybody's working for the weekend!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:47 AM

I can't imagine driving in the V map with IV's driving physics without flipping my car every minute. I think the driving physics compliment each map's design.

It would be perfect

It's not about opinion or taste,it's about what's real and what's not,fantasies like boat cars don't belong in GTA,Rockstar did a mistake with IV and that was the end of it.

No no no, The cars dont handle like boats, The cars in watch dogs handle like boats.

5s handling feel like your car has cut springs and is filled with bricks.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Yinepi and 1 other like this

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
    Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:48 AM Edited by _MK_, 01 March 2018 - 07:20 AM.

Rockstar said it themselves that they handle like boats and this guy tells me they don't,so what's with your opening comment about ?

I LOVE GTA 4s driving, i know it feels like a boat............

?

I'd rather have bricks than flying boats.

• Lioshenka and Am Shaegar like this

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

I didn't play IV's multiplayer, so I don't know how you guys were racing back in IV's multiplayer?

I can't even imagine stunt races with that physic system.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

I didn't play IV's multiplayer, so I don't know how you guys were racing back in IV's multiplayer?
I can't even imagine stunt races with that physic system.

I done my fair share of racing back when GTA IV’s multiplayer was still pipping hot and it was just as fun as it is in single player.
  • B Dawg, TheOneLibertonian and VictorVance1239 like this

VictorVance1239
  • VictorVance1239

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:58 PM Edited by VictorVance1239, 01 March 2018 - 04:59 PM.

I won quite a few online races in GTA IV. Never once felt like a boat to me. Even if a Rockstar employee said it that's whoever said its opinion and I'm pretty sure that's not some official statement that every single person that work there agrees with. 

With that being said I stand by the idea of having the option to use it. If people feel so strongly about not liking GTA IV's driving than simply don't play those modes and if someone picks it in the race options you can leave that race before it starts. These games need variety so that there's something for everybody.

I'd roll with both styles just fine.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg and TheOneLibertonian like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

TELAH

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

IV's driving but tweaked. Games like Forza Horizon series are great at making this medium between realistic and arcade. V's driving is really bad. I mean it's just too arcade-like. I would to see a refined IV's driving. Somewhere between IV and V. in Watch Dogs 2 I've been driving around in old Buick style muscle car just because it has that IV style challenge. It just seems to move more realistically that the arcade-style of making 90 degree turns at high speed.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Tycek and 4 others like this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:39 AM

Here's the thing. I do play driving sims, and GTA IV's handling always felt like you were on a wet road. Even when you weren't. It's not like I was bad at the driving either, hell, I even learned to drift.

The problem is that it's just too loose. Even if we're talking realism, a dry road should not feel like it's wet, but I got that feeling constantly in GTA IV. Now, GTA V isn't perfect either. Every car in that game feels like it's got a sports car suspension, like they're all WEC cars and they've been tuned for the 24h of Le Mans.

I think that, ultimately, what GTA VI needs is suspension tuning. So you can have a slidey car or an arcadey grippy car. That makes the most sense to me.

• Mister Pink, Lioshenka, jazzbone and 1 other like this

jazzbone
  • jazzbone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:47 PM Edited by jazzbone, 03 March 2018 - 07:11 PM.

I have played all PS2, PS3 , and PS4 GTA games, hundreds of hour each. For me GTA 5 has the best road vehicle handling. Yes it may be arcade, but better to me than the brick on ice slidey car boat ride of GTA 4 cars.

Realism? GTA 5 has modern cars. The average modern 4 door sedans handles like sports cars tuned for the track when compared to the floaty boat rides cars in the 1960's and 70's provided. No gas struts, no rack and pinion, skinny tires, ect. Driving in GTA 4 feels more like the 1960's loose handling, and GTA 5 feels more like the tight and nimble handling of modern cars.

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Egypt

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:42 PM Edited by Yinepi, 03 March 2018 - 08:11 PM.

Yes. The handling of TBoGT's Super Diamond's are a good reference point of how they could improve the handling to remove the exaggerated body roll aka "boat-like", while still adhering to the IV approach. The physics itself are fine and don't/didn't need changing. It's the handling line(s) that did/does. Most of the problems with IV driving lie with the values used for calculations, not the engine behind the physics itself.

@ Those with the "GTAIV is realistic" argument: Have any of you ever driven a car? Cars in GTAIV have too much body roll, too much turn-in, too quick deceleration and acceleration, too much or too little mass and drag values for vehicles of their respective types to ever be "realistic". If your argument against GTAIV's handling can be summed up into that, then please go outside and drive a car and stop posting uneducated nonsense.

Rockstar said it themselves that they handle like boats and this guy tells me they don't,so what's with your opening comment about ? 

Have you ever considered that the reason why Rockstar may have said "boat" is so those that criticized GTAIV's handling in 2008 by using the term "boat" would understand what Rockstar was talking about?

VictorVance1239
  • VictorVance1239

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

Whatever we all have our opinions and should be able to enjoy the game our way so hopefully Rockstar will make it optional to choose from different driving styles like I suggested.

Maybe there could be sliders or something that players can use to customize their own driving system between V and IV's. All types of possibilities. 

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Only those who die get closure, the living do not.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

I loved GTA IV's driving. It's fun, diverse, and surprisingly complex. Each car feels distinctively different and it does model different forms of vehicle drivetrains quite well. For example, you can clearly tell the big difference of handling between a large, bulky SUV like the Cavalcade, and a planted, sporty sedan like the Sultan. Unlike in GTA V where most cars' handle similarly to one another. Most of my best memories of IV came from the joy of driving the various different cars within the game.

Most arguments seems to be focused on debating how "challenging" and "realistic" the handling model is. As a petrolhead and a experienced sim racer, I'd argue that while it does exhibit the feeling of realism by having sim-ish qualities, however it is arcade at heart. The cars have too much traction, oversteering and losing control isn't a problem, braking is very manageable even if some of the cars lack ABS, body roll is too exaggerated, and the game gives you enough assists to keep the car on the road even when driving on the limit. Games like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo are marginally more realistic than GTA IV and those games aren't really pushing the boundaries of realism too much. Assetto Corsa, R3E, Rfactor, and iRacing are the only games to be considered true to life, or realistic. Most professional racing drivers use these sims to practice while off the track. 

Spoiler

Agreed 100%. I think it's best if Rockstar followed Mafia's solution of catering to multiple types of audiences by having the option to select arcade or simulation style of driving. With this way, Rockstar can satisfy fans of IV's more intricate driving and V's simpler, casual handling.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg and gunziness like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

These boots are 100% wolverine hide

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:59 AM Edited by B Dawg, 07 March 2018 - 10:06 AM.

Most arguments seems to be focused on debating how "challenging" and "realistic" the handling model is. As a petrolhead and a experienced sim racer, I'd argue that while it does exhibit the feeling of realism by having sim-ish qualities, however it is arcade at heart. The cars have too much traction, oversteering and losing control isn't a problem, braking is very manageable even if some of the cars lack ABS, body roll is too exaggerated, and the game gives you enough assists to keep the car on the road even when driving on the limit. Games like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo are marginally more realistic than GTA IV and those games aren't really pushing the boundaries of realism too much. Assetto Corsa, R3E, Rfactor, and iRacing are the only games to be considered true to life, or realistic. Most professional racing drivers use these sims to practice while off the track.

Which makes it sad that some people can't, or refuse to adapt to something that really isn't so difficult. I'd understand not liking and not being able to adapt to slightly more realistic racing games with assists turned off such as TDU1 and Forza Horizon series, or actual simulators, but GTA IV? Now that's just being lazy.

MentalPX
  • MentalPX

Paranoid Lunatic

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

I don't like how in V, even rally cars are inexplicably slowed down when driving on gravel. I mean, it's gravel, not deep sand or desert dunes. Why does it slow you down?

• VictorVance1239 likes this

LongJohnTeabag
  • LongJohnTeabag

Bring me my coffee or I'm gonna cut your arm off.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:28 AM

I LOVE GTA 4s driving, i know it feels like a boat...but i love it, cruising above port Tudor in a merit at night with the journey on and the driving physics compliment that

now my opinion of the other GTAs handling summed up

GTA 3: feels like a unity game

GTA VC: same as GTA 3

GTA SA: same as gta 3

GTA 5: Feels like a unity game

GTA 4s handling is fluid and just makes you feel immersed into the world of liberty city

That is why in the "gta next" R* should take inspiration from GTA IV

I agree, to a point. Maybe a good, balanced mix of GTA IV's handling without everything feeling like boats on wheels and a dash of the handling from GTA V.

AnimalFather
  • AnimalFather

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

NO THANKS. GTA is not a driving sim. That was atrocious. 

• ChiroVette and Am Shaegar like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:02 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 08 March 2018 - 03:07 PM.

I agree with that, driving in IV needed some practice but that's no problem when you had it, it felt good. Driving in 5 was too easy, driving with insane speed in IV felt faster because it was more difficult.

Driving generally should be more realistic when you drive offroad, V was ridicilous in this matter.

I agree with Am Shaegar and others on this. When I drive in a game like Project Gotham or Gran Turismo, I expect realistic driving, because they are racing Sims. They are supposed to be realistic, and even arguably punishing. But GTA is a game where, contrary to its name, is not a driving SIM. GTA has traditionally been more about fun, unrealistic and unbridled action, and even over the top entertainment. Though obviously not to the same extent as Saints Row games.

The whole "You only hate IV's car handling because you suck at driving!" bullsh*t is nonsense.

To be frank, even while playing GTA IV both times on my pre-order versions, I adapted quite easily to the sliding-all-over-the-place feel of the cars. I even got talked into going online in those early days, by some Internet friends, and I did very well in races. The problem with GTA IV's driving is NOT that it cannot be easily learned or adapted to, but that I never found it to be any fun. GTA IV, in its "driving realism" was actually the odd man out, when you think about it. All the other GTA games, including V and the 3D Era games, had driving that was more meant to be breakneck fun.

I was very happy that V went back to classic, old school GTA driving!

One more thing about the difficulty: I actually found GTA IV's races easier than V, both against the AI at Brucie's behest AND against real, live opponents online (in the very limited time I played online for IV). The reason is that I was better at controlling Brucie's little yellow (or was it orange?) Comet than the AI was at controlling their sports cars. I used to look behind while racing, and while I was opening up huge leads, they were all crashing into walls. One thing I thought was good about GTA IV, over the previous GTA games, is that in III, SA, VC, VCS, and LCS, the AI cheated. They had the "better handling cheat" activated, so they drove all right. In GTA IV, the AI had a lot more problems handling the cars than I did lol. So, in essence, because the car handling is so much better in V, the races are actually more challenging than the ones in IV. Because the AI has good handling, too, and isn't slamming into every wall and building, as well as one another, while sliding all over the road.

Go play IV's Brucie races if you don't believe me. They are a cakewalk because the AI can't drive those wacky cars!

• Lioshenka, Gummy , Hot Pursuit and 1 other like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:21 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 08 March 2018 - 03:21 PM.

@ Those with the "GTAIV is realistic" argument: Have any of you ever driven a car? Cars in GTAIV have too much body roll, too much turn-in, too quick deceleration and acceleration, too much or too little mass and drag values for vehicles of their respective types to ever be "realistic". If your argument against GTAIV's handling can be summed up into that, then please go outside and drive a car and stop posting uneducated nonsense.

First off, you are taking the "realism" argument way too seriously and out of context.

Regardless of GTA IV's "realism" over other GTA games, no videogame could ever truly be "realistic" or everything would be so slow and dragged out you couldn't ever get anything done. Back in early 2008, Rockstar heralded GTA IV's driving as "much more realistic" than the previous GTA games. Now, despite the fact that even GTA IV's cars, in essence, do NOT handle like real cars exactly, and no game except maybe titles like Gran Turismo can even have the massive research to make driving a truly realistic experience, the problem with GTA IV's driving is Rockstar's intent to make the car handling realistic, thus the sliding all over the place if you're not careful is meant to be punishing and make gamers feel like they are driving real cars. But as I said, unless you have professional drivers consulting with you, like I believe Gran Turismo devs employed NASCAR drivers, your driving will NEVER be truly realistic. When Rockstar touted IV's driving as realistic, they meant as realistic as they could make the physics given how vast GTA worlds are, and how much other stuff has to be developed in the overall game and world. Unlike FORZA and Gran Turismo and other Sims, where driving is literally the whole ballgame, GTA will never be able to achieve that level of realism.

• Gummy  likes this

Hot Pursuit
  • Hot Pursuit

Response Code 3

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Indonesia
  • Super Snitch Deadass 2018

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Driving generally should be more realistic when you drive offroad, V was ridicilous in this matter.

I agree with Am Shaegar and others on this. When I drive in a game like Project Gotham or Gran Turismo, I expect realistic driving, because they are racing Sims. They are supposed to be realistic, and even arguably punishing. But GTA is a game where, contrary to its name, is not a driving SIM. GTA has traditionally been more about fun, unrealistic and unbridled action, and even over the top entertainment. Though obviously not to the same extent as Saints Row games.

The whole "You only hate IV's car handling because you suck at driving!" bullsh*t is nonsense.

To be frank, even while playing GTA IV both times on my pre-order versions, I adapted quite easily to the sliding-all-over-the-place feel of the cars. I even got talked into going online in those early days, by some Internet friends, and I did very well in races. The problem with GTA IV's driving is NOT that it cannot be easily learned or adapted to, but that I never found it to be any fun. GTA IV, in its "driving realism" was actually the odd man out, when you think about it. All the other GTA games, including V and the 3D Era games, had driving that was more meant to be breakneck fun.

I was very happy that V went back to classic, old school GTA driving!

One more thing about the difficulty: I actually found GTA IV's races easier than V, both against the AI at Brucie's behest AND against real, live opponents online (in the very limited time I played online for IV). The reason is that I was better at controlling Brucie's little yellow (or was it orange?) Comet than the AI was at controlling their sports cars. I used to look behind while racing, and while I was opening up huge leads, they were all crashing into walls. One thing I thought was good about GTA IV, over the previous GTA games, is that in III, SA, VC, VCS, and LCS, the AI cheated. They had the "better handling cheat" activated, so they drove all right. In GTA IV, the AI had a lot more problems handling the cars than I did lol. So, in essence, because the car handling is so much better in V, the races are actually more challenging than the ones in IV. Because the AI has good handling, too, and isn't slamming into every wall and building, as well as one another, while sliding all over the road.

Go play IV's Brucie races if you don't believe me. They are a cakewalk because the AI can't drive those wacky cars![/spoiler]

Totally agree, I absolutely hate IV driving

Not because I suck at it, it's pretty a cakewalk but because I really hate having to realistically drive the car and having to slow down at everyturn. seriously, I just wanted to drive my car like a maniac and drive really fast without crashing at anything. In IV instead, I have to slow down the car before making turn or slipstream at other vehicle. Sure I can do that, but it's so annoying, frustating, and doesn't feel fun at all. i play videogames to escapes the frustation I had IRL, not to get even frustated because of videogames

The problem does not stop at that, IV driving AI are really horrible, apart from them overtaking you in red light,or them crashing their car while driving aggressively, they can't brake their car properly, it's already a thousand times I stand at middle of the road and have the traffic braking their car too late, resulting them bumping and knocked me. Or when I stopped my car on the road, the traffic lightly bumped my car. Even worse this can generate a pileup at every highway. Just stand at the middle, and wait for car to hit you, any cars from behind will crash at eachother, usually making the player wasted

• ChiroVette, Lioshenka and MojoGamer like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users