GTA 4 driving should make a return

105 replies to this topic
SpaceJelloYT
  • SpaceJelloYT

Everybody's working for the weekend!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:55 AM

I LOVE GTA 4s driving, i know it feels like a boat...but i love it, cruising above port Tudor in a merit at night with the journey on and the driving physics compliment that

now my opinion of the other GTAs handling summed up

GTA 3: feels like a unity game

GTA VC: same as GTA 3

GTA SA: same as gta 3

GTA 5: Feels like a unity game

GTA 4s handling is fluid and just makes you feel immersed into the world of liberty city

That is why in the "gta next" R* should take inspiration from GTA IV

• PaddsterG2k3, Algonquin Assassin, MentalPX and 7 others like this

assCRACK_98
  • assCRACK_98

My little dark age

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:56 AM

Yeah it actually feels like you are driving a car with dangers if you are going 200 over the speed limit
  • Algonquin Assassin, DIEXEL, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:27 AM

No. I prefer the 3D era style, especially, SA's driving and flying system was absolutely spot on! I find IVs driving more annoying and hardly enjoyable for a game like GTA. It isn't all that fun, and NO, I am not bad at driving, at all. I just don't want the experience of driving needlessly frustrating to penalize the players when braking and accelerating during driving at almost every turn and corner of the street. It particularly angers me during those large number of scripted chase sequences in IV that won't reward for my driving skills after how well I maneuver the vehicle, throughout the chase but deliberately feels like the game is cheating despite my good performance. Same goes on random sandboxing experiments where the physics and over the top vehicle damage model completely kill the fun factor of GTA's driving experience that I enjoyed in the previous GTA's.

It doesn't suit for a game like GTA. THEY should incorporate the best aspects of SA's and IV's driving w/o making too unforgiving or complex in practice. Something V tried to set it right, but not entirely satisfying due to a couple of disappointing changes.
  • ChiroVette, M0rk, Hot Pursuit and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:27 AM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 25 February 2018 - 06:33 AM.

Yes. Since driving takes up a huge amount of gameplay time its something that has to be right and to date its the only driving physics that give me any sort of satisfaction to master.

Its not quite simulator level, but it does a great job of mimicking the basic characteristics of how vehicles behave. Part of the fun for me atleast is picking the exact moment when to brake and turn rather than speeding through corners at 200km/h.

The only thing Id tweak is toning down some of the body roll on SUVs, vans etc making them less susceptible to rollovers. Other than that the driving physics are one of the main reasons I still like to play GTA IV to this day.

I would love to similar physics again for gear heads like myself.
  • gunziness, MentalPX, DIEXEL and 5 others like this

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I'm on Percodans and Demerol

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

I agree it should come back with some tweaks. Shouldn't be as boaty as 4 but also not as arcady as 5. Somewhre in the middle leaning towards 4 would be the best imo. We can keep 5's moterbike driving though. Motorbikes in 4 weren't the best. 

• Algonquin Assassin, R4gN0r0K, MentalPX and 3 others like this

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
  • Best Scenery [Snap] 2017
    Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015
    Best Filtered [Snap] 2015

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

It was removed for a reason,driving like boats isn't realistic.

• Lioshenka, jazzbone, M0rk and 3 others like this

Aquamaniac
  • Aquamaniac

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

I agree with that, driving in IV needed some practice but that's no problem when you had it, it felt good. Driving in 5 was too easy, driving with insane speed in IV felt faster because it was more difficult.

Driving generally should be more realistic when you drive offroad, V was ridicilous in this matter.

• MentalPX and Purgen like this

Failure
  • Failure

Oh sh*t

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Yemen

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

Of course it should, with some tweaks here and there, a noteworthy one being the integration of AWD vehicles.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

These boots are 100% wolverine hide

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:59 AM Edited by B Dawg, 25 February 2018 - 10:12 AM.

We can keep 5's moterbike driving though. Motorbikes in 4 weren't the best. 

Oh hell no. The motorbike driving mechanics/physics in 5 were inarguably, by far the worst in the series.

• Algonquin Assassin, R4gN0r0K, gunziness and 2 others like this

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

I used to be a huge critic of iV on here pre V. One of the aspects of IV that I did like, overall, was the car handling. I was shcoked when I first played V that the handlng seemed to have been reduced to a system even more basic than the III era. When you add on that body damage was massively reduced it made driving in V a disappointing experience.

For me, it has to be tightened up in VI.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, SchizNitz and 2 others like this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:06 PM Edited by GTA-Biker, 25 February 2018 - 12:08 PM.

I could be wrong,but I think SA driving physics were a big improvement over GTA 3 and VC physics (cars seem to have some weight in SA,in VC they feel very light).

Anyway,I would like if newer cars had driving physics more similar to SA,and old cars (from 70s and earlier) had GTA 4 driving physics with wobbly suspension.For motorcycles,I'd like something similar to SA physics.

• B Dawg, MentalPX and Jack Lupino like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

These boots are 100% wolverine hide

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:19 PM Edited by B Dawg, 25 February 2018 - 02:20 PM.

Yeah, SA and IV had the best driving. Normally, everyone would say a mix of IV and V would be good. Nope. A mix of SA and IV would be far, far better.

• gunziness, lol232, anthony and 1 other like this

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:58 PM Edited by Lioshenka, 25 February 2018 - 03:06 PM.

Oh, hell no!

I could never understand people who say they love GTA 4 driving. It was horrible (although the cheap, not fitting engine sounds don't help). The cars handled like boats, and all felt the same. Remember how Perennial felt different from Cartel Cruiser? Remember Rumpo and Yakuza Stinger? Every car in Renderware world had unique physics and handling. GTA 4 cars all just felt the same.

Shock absorbers/springs which would have failed an MOT in a real world, huge turning radius, but most of all once you left the road you might as well just walk. Even Rancher, the supposedly offroad king, will slip helplessly on any patch of grass. For someone who loves the countryside driving to bits this is a decisive point.

GTA should have SA driving physics, movement physics and pretty much anything to do with physics. Except for the collision model, which was one thing I loved in 4.

But in all fairness, as I said before - they just need to drop Rage. As long as GTA is on Rage it will remain a mediocre disappointment to the series. It's a table tennis engine, end of story.

• M0rk, Aslad, Hot Pursuit and 1 other like this

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I'm on Percodans and Demerol

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:56 AM

We can keep 5's moterbike driving though. Motorbikes in 4 weren't the best. 

Oh hell no. The motorbike driving mechanics/physics in 5 were inarguably, by far the worst in the series.

better than 4's

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Mastered Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:31 AM Edited by MojoGamer, 26 February 2018 - 01:48 AM.

Yes, it should make a return.Cause i hate when i want to drive realistic as possible like in 4, but cannot due to 5's permanent rollover/lean/flight assist turned on 24/7. I'll be ok if a mission fails, cause i couldn't rollover my vehicle in time to prevent it from exploding and didn't want rollover/lean/flight assist turned on manually .

I don't suggest 4's boat suspension or 5's airplane suspension as the OP refers to driving. R* definitely needs a variety of suspensions added, since all forms of traffic suspensions weren't unique. 5's was airplane suspension locked n 4's was boat suspension locked. Also boats in 5 felt like airplanes and helicopters in 4 felt like boats..

• Lioshenka likes this

MARKUS.
  • MARKUS.

Markos Dangerous

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:13 PM Edited by Markhosdangerous, 26 February 2018 - 02:14 PM.

Something in the middle between IV and V.

Mafia II would be a nice influence

DirtCheap
  • DirtCheap

Cheapskate

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

No thank you.

Driving is a challenge in IV and that should not be the case because driving is what you do in GTA 90% of the time, in and out missions.

Being used to the 3D Era driving, it took me ages to get used to the driving.

Had shooting been more difficult in IV I would have understood as it makes the gameplay more fun but driving cars with buttery wheels makes driving in the game sh*t.

However, I loved the crash and damage physics.

Driving in V was slightly better but it felt like the car was being pushed by a rocket all the time and it felt like the car was gonna crash.

So in conclusion, I'd like the driving to be a bit more like the 3D Era driving and I would like the crash physics of IV to appear in the game.

• Am Shaegar likes this

Timcatgt5
  • Timcatgt5

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:51 AM

I would win every race if the handling from GTA IV returns for the next game, against the AI but also against human players if they don't bump into me all the time.

So yes it should return.

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:30 AM

Ew. Definitely not. Especially not solely GTAIV's driving.

• Am Shaegar likes this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:17 AM

I prefer IV's handling but for casual players V is best suited. The problem of implementing IV's handling on V are the mountains. You know upsetting it will be for players if they constantly flip over because they tried to climb a mountain with their Zentorno with the $ rims?

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:27 AM

As much as it was a challenge, i never had any problem's with it so i'd definitely like to see it return..

When cop's chase you in IV it feels realistic & it's very entertaining , especially car damage i'd like to see return .. GTA V lacked car damage physics real badly .

• Algonquin Assassin and Great Britain like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

brb sitting in my 85 Skylark as it idles in the garage

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2017 [GTA: Underground]
    Best Map 2017 Contribution [Liberty City Countryside]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:40 AM

No. We should all be environmentally conscious and take the bus instead.

• lafincow12, Yinepi and Am Shaegar like this

lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Serbia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:32 AM

And that's not the reason. It was because of GTA SA kiddies who bitched and cried.

And second off, have you ever driven a boat? I did, I even used to be a rower.
GTA IV's handling is nothing like it at all.
  • Algonquin Assassin, anthony, Yinepi and 1 other like this

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Mastered Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:59 AM

Yes, boats don't drive on roads. Obviously and literary... But you can't compare real life with gta life, unless you got wasted.

But every vehicle's suspension (Not terrain) felt the same as a boat rocking back and forth.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:03 AM

They should make a come back. I swear if GTA V's physics return, or if ANYTHING from GTA V returns, then I'm done with the GTA series. (Apart from the older titles of course)

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
    Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:26 AM Edited by _MK_, 27 February 2018 - 06:27 AM.

And that's not the reason. It was because of GTA SA kiddies who bitched and cried.

Yeah right,even the people who want it back are saying it drives like a boat.

• Brian_O_Malley and Am Shaegar like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:30 AM

Dan Houser himself stated:

The cars [in GTA V] hold to the ground a bit better. WE Thought they were big and boatlike in GTA IV, and we feel like it has really leaped forward because we're able to run a little more physics on them. It feels more like a racing game. There are not a lot of high level racing games out there at the moment, and that itch is going to be scratched by this game in a way maybe it hasn't been in previous GTAs.

It has become a fashion to blame Sa fans for every thing that is wrong about IV. Is Dan Houser, or Rockstar an SA kiddie??

Accept the fact - IV's driving had problems.

• Lioshenka, universetwisters, _MK_ and 2 others like this

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
    Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:34 AM

Guess i should have asked him if he "has ever driven a car" then say "GTA IV's handling has nothing to do with how a real car handles".

lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Serbia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

Yeah right,even the people who want it back are saying it drives like a boat.

No I don't.

Jack Lupino
  • Jack Lupino

"So long-a-Bowser!"

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

No thanks. I don't care for super realistic driving.
It's a video game not a real life simulator.
I hate gta 4s driving with passion and I wish it never returns again.
  • jazzbone likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users