Quantcast

» «
Photo

[GTAO] I Think the Game May Be Against Me!

51 replies to this topic

Poll: [GTAO] I Think this Game May Be Against Me! (84 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think GTAO is custom designed to work against players?

1. Yes (74 votes [88.10%])

Percentage of vote: 88.10%

2. No (6 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Maybe (with explanation below) (4 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. Other (with explanation below) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

There's always been much speculation and conspiracy-type theory that GTAO has been made to impede certain progress, for a variety of reasons.

Whether it's been overly aggressive law enforcement, who some claim are buffed with each update, or by intentionally placing us in lobbies that keep us from playing the way we like to play, there's no doubt in many a doubter's mind that something wonky is amidst with GTAO, but with zero evidence.

However, it's simply undeniable to consider things like the wild driving antics of NPC drivers, muggers appearing on rooftops with no access except by air, or Mercs who sometimes come in short waves while other times coming in extended waves, over and over.

Last night, I tried to pick a fight with an NPC on the street. Not a single one would engage me, no matter how much I ran into them, knocked them down, or taunted them. Not one! Eventually, I switched lobbies and upon stealing a Sanchez out by Sandy Shores, I had a horde of NPCs ready to kick my everlovin' rear-end! 

And of course, there's the magic bullets of GTAO, where I'll be in a sniper fight with another player and while he/she may be able to withstand 2-3 of my shots, somehow that one successful shot by him/her "wastes" me, instantly - even with armor on! 

So, is it just me? Or is it within reason to consider that the game is customized to engage & react to each player's unique stats, level, and abilities?

But to what extent could the game be designed in such a way?

• Higher level draws more aggressive responses
  • Vehicle behaviors (ie. smoking Buzzard, declined car acceleration)
  • Lobby placement based on player behavior patterns
  • The amount of GTA$ money a player has triggers code to react differently
  • Weapon choices and weapon wheel impacts game reaction
  • Vehicle choices cause traffic to move differently
  • Algorithmic responses to predictable behaviors

Of course, there's no way to truly tell what's going on under the hood of GTAO, but we've all seen hotfixes applied, vehicle and weapon nerfing/buffing, etc.
So, what's to say that the game isn't designed to make life in Los Santos harder for some players or during some sessions than others?

I'd be curious to learn your thoughts and share your experiences on this topic.

Cheers! :)

I called 911 while picking fights with NPCs. They came and actually shot this guy when he threw a punch at me. I think Officer Buffguy knew what I was up to.
3Z8OGHumW0aaw5ei6WneLg_0_0.jpg

• CarimboHanky, jeremy813, DentureDynamite and 4 others like this

hei3enberg
  • hei3enberg

not really certain about some stuff

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:03 PM Edited by hei3enberg, 11 February 2018 - 03:09 PM.

The game is poorly coded, rich on lags and glitches, with primitive P2P and probably several non-consistent dev teams that can't dig into older code to fix bugs. And it's all being run by a greedy publisher who decided that it's cool not to release any other games since 2013 with the help of automated support service.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Hanlon's razor.

Money making of course is designed in a way to make it as hard as it gets.

• Hazzardtohimself, Cutter De Blanc, gtafan26 and 14 others like this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None
  • Mister Los Santos 2017 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2017] Best Funny Snap
    Best Event 2017
    Best New GTA Member 2017
    Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:24 PM Edited by Sanches, 11 February 2018 - 09:32 PM.

Imo the devs idea over playerbase has changed. They're now in for making money, not fun, and Zelnick let us clearly know about it.
That's just a crazy thought, but once i had an idea why game has so much of annoying factors. It's about to make a player angry and burst his anger onto other players. How? Well, with the help of all the brand new weaponized vehicles. And that would begin a cycle of players bursting on other players, making a player to look like a real enemy, not devs.
Every day we stray further from god.

• Tupiz, fw3, Awesom-0 and 6 others like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

Sometimes the ai traffic cannot be avoided. Especially on intersections. You think you could easly avoid a car. Now you try to brake, that car also brakes, you give gas, the car also hits the gas, you try to go around it, it crashes into your side.

• Randoom., gtafan26, Shadowfennekin and 7 others like this

DengaGrad
  • DengaGrad

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

I dont know if anyone else noticed this but before the CEO stuff came out, because of my internet i used to get put in solo lobbys about 90% of the time when in a full lobby to start with.

You guys know what im talking about when on the screen it has "player left" written for everyone who was there.

But now i just get kicked to the single player portion of the game instead of getting put into a solo lobby like i used to, making me have to get online again with the long loading times.
  • fw3 likes this

Bloodytears1666
  • Bloodytears1666

Playa

• Members
  • Northern-Mariana-Islands

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

In my experience, usually when start in random first lobby if rise mental state - game tend to put me in a lobby with same red dots. I'm happy about it.

But for negative, if I have a winning row in AM, game tends to put me in weaker teams or even in AFK one. Results vary.

Dunno about traffic, it's always terrible.

• fw3 likes this

hei3enberg
  • hei3enberg

not really certain about some stuff

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Sometimes the ai traffic cannot be avoided. Especially on intersections. You think you could easly avoid a car. Now you try to brake, that car also brakes, you give gas, the car also hits the gas, you try to go around it, it crashes into your side.

Poor coding, they're just mirroring your inputs. 

• gtafan26, fw3, Arrows to Athens and 4 others like this

Jenkiiii
  • Jenkiiii

Always Looking Good - In the City, the Suburbs, the Hood.

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:32 PM Edited by Jenkiiii, 11 February 2018 - 06:00 PM.

Just look at the 'Yes' votes at this preliminary stage of the thread.

Everyone on this forum can describe multiple situations when they were minding their own business but were prevented from doing so by the game's mechanics or another player looking for trouble. Imagine a town with only two residents who will eventually meet up and interact, and then contemplate what Rockstar does so cleverly by making sure that when these two people meet there will be enough beef to cause a fight, and hence disrupt each other's progress. And the reason Rockstar wants us to fight? Answers on a postcard, please.

• fw3, Arrows to Athens, Awesom-0 and 5 others like this

III-Ari-III
  • III-Ari-III

Corporate Warlord

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

Well most of these things are random, and are meant to be that way, some are also old code never patched like ppl said, but i can still confirm one tho, that whenever you are doing a business mission in free roam, traffic tends to ram you out of the road and or block you, that is not random, it only happens there, as if they were secret agents trying to f*ck with your mission, that is a fact.

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

I dont know if anyone else noticed this but before the CEO stuff came out, because of my internet i used to get put in solo lobbys about 90% of the time when in a full lobby to start with.
You guys know what im talking about when on the screen it has "player left" written for everyone who was there.
But now i just get kicked to the single player portion of the game instead of getting put into a solo lobby like i used to, making me have to get online again with the long loading times.

Yes, this has been something I've noticed as well. I haven't seen a "Player left" string in a while, yet I continue to get the "Connection error" message sending me back to Single Player a LOT.

The game is poorly coded, rich on lags and glitches, with primitive P2P and probably several non-consistent dev teams that can't dig into older code to fix bugs. And it's all being run by a greedy publisher who decided that it's cool not to release any other games since 2013 with the help of automated support service.

I hadn't even considered the idea that no other games have come out of Rockstar/Take Two's hangars since 2013. Is that right? Wow.

Just look at the 'Yes' votes at this preliminary stage of the thread.

Everyone on this forum can describe multiple situations when they were minding their own business but were prevented from doing so by the game's mechanics or another player looking for trouble. Imagine a town with only two residents who will eventually meet up and interact, and then contemplate what Rockstar does so cleverly by making sure that when these two people meet there will be enough beef to cause a fight, and hence disrupt each other's progress. And the reason Rockstar wants us to fight? Answers on a postcard, please.

Love the analogy here. Good perspective and pretty spot on! Thx, Jenkiiii.

Well most of these things are random, and are meant to be that way, some are also old code never patched like ppl said, but i can still confirm one tho, that whenever you are doing a business mission in free roam, traffic tends to ram you out of the road and or block you, that is not random, it only happens there, as if they were secret agents trying to f*ck with your mission, that is a fact.

I'm so easily convinced that most things are totally random. I want to try emptying out my weapons wheel, not engaging other players, and driving around in a random Free Roam car, like a Futo, and see how things go. I'm very curious to see how the game may or may not try to force me to behave a certain way. Should be interesting... ;)

• Awesom-0, Cackling Jack, HeavyDuke and 3 others like this

555-We-Tip
  • 555-We-Tip

He's got half of Mexico in here!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

The AI traffic when you're trying to export a car is laughable. Cars cross right in front of you like they rarely do under typical circumstances.

• Shadowfennekin, Awesom-0, alkaline_ and 5 others like this

Chrome Toyota Prius
  • Chrome Toyota Prius

Chrome Toyota Lootbox

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

One time someone here posted a video of them sitting completely still on the side of the road, only to be chased down by some NPC far away on the other side of the road. If that isn't intentional or poor coding, I don't know what it was.

• hugh750, gtafan26, Arrows to Athens and 4 others like this

Arrows to Athens
  • Arrows to Athens

Proud Pigalle Owner

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

The traffic.

Nuff said.

• alkaline_, 555-We-Tip and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

spincther
  • spincther

The Asshole -RP- the Amateur YT Streamer

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

OMG  YES!

• fw3 likes this

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:06 PM Edited by Xiled, 11 February 2018 - 11:08 PM.

The AI traffic when you're trying to export a car is laughable. Cars cross right in front of you like they rarely do under typical circumstances.

What someone exporting a car? npc drivers - "we must destroy the player"

• fw3, Arrows to Athens, Awesom-0 and 10 others like this

wehweh01
  • wehweh01

Crates 4 Life

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:25 PM

Naw money still too easy to make in this game. Rockstar if you hear me please make it harder. Amen

giphy.gif

• Arrows to Athens likes this

spincther
  • spincther

The Asshole -RP- the Amateur YT Streamer

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:34 PM Edited by -RP-, 11 February 2018 - 11:35 PM.

Anytime you try and make money, the game goes into troll mode.  I wonder if we can test a theory. Subject 1 has bought x number of shark cards. Subject 2 has bought 0.  Does  subject 1 experience the same level of "trolledom" that Subject 2 would experience during missions/ sales?

Same goes for the statement you made FW3,  about how some people can 1 shot you but it takes you multi shots to put down someone.   Do those who purchase fishcards get combat advantages that are secretly in the game?

And those who dont buy fishcards, are they handicapped secretly?

Important and perhaps tin foil hat questions. But how would we get definitive answers? 

• Arrows to Athens and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Ice_cold2016
  • Ice_cold2016

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:45 PM Edited by Ice_cold2016, 11 February 2018 - 11:49 PM.

Of course it is. I made a forum post about this early 2017 and it made it into Kotaku. The Kotaku article seemed to think people were paranoid. But Import Export is a perfect example of that. Whenever you go to collect a car 2 or 3 of the enemy A.I instantly run and take cover behind the car you need to collect so it get's shot up and takes damage. And once you finally get the car the enemy A.I has super accurate shot and can even shoot around corners and through walls and such. And the traffic goes extra crazy and tries to make you crash. I captured many examples of this ages ago. And why else do you think they give you real stupidly slow vehicles on sales missions, biker, gun running and CEO crates and then force you to drove stupidly long distances. 

• Arrows to Athens, CA42, elfoam and 7 others like this

Willy A. Jeep
  • Willy A. Jeep

Best Of All... It's An Albany

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online > Vehicles]

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:17 AM

I don't know about conspiracy or that the game is "poorly coded," but it certainly is designed to be against the player and itself. I mean, yeah, of course it is! This is the world of GTA and we're all a bunch of criminals! It makes sense that the regular populace might sometimes want to pick a fight with us, run us off the road, ruin our enjoyment... because we're ruining theirs!

The easiest example is when you're sitting at a red light, being a good little player, and it turns green and you can't react as fast as the CPU brains of every NPC around you. They honk, yell, and might even ram you. Their mindset says "GREENGOGOGOGO" while yours might be somewhere in the ballpark of "hey, look at that airplane flying overhead, that's cooooool- oh, hey, green light..." There's also plenty of evidence where we've all experienced NPCs trying to fight us while we're minding our own business, but... What if they just don't like you? What if you did something that seemed, to you, totally fine, but to them, you've just spat on their name and their honor? "I came a little too close to your girl? Oh, I'm sorry- Hey! Don't punch me!"

It's not "bad" programming, it's perfectly sensical, even if it irritates the player. Even if it's not what you want in that moment. Rockstar games have long been an opponent to the "God" player, and this continues that trend: You're just another jerk off the street, even if you do have that yacht, that stilt house, that million-dollar Grotti that half the city won't even recognize. You spend your cash and time like every other one of us to be better, and you are still just a person. One in an expensive, missile-laden, hunter-killer helicopter, sure, but still just a person.

It's always very funny to see people who complain that the game is broken when it doesn't play their way. It's so strange to see people hypothesize that the game is worse when they're delivering cargo or driving their nice car. I can boot up Online or SP right now, hop in any Albany Emperor, Vapid Sandking, Imponte Ruiner, and still be slammed, bumped, scraped, and attacked all the same as if I were rushing cargo from LSDWP Vinewood to Paleto Bay. You know what? Rushing is going to make it even more apparent that the game is not your friend, because if you run those red lights? You try to edge your way past that semi-truck? You don't have time to pay attention to your surroundings? You're going to pay for it.

Of course, this isn't to say the world of GTA Online always works like real life. I'd like to see a car go through a lamp post without taking more than a few scratches in real life! Fly off a cliff without snapping the driveshaft or axles on landing! Switch to hover mode and sail across the Salton Sea! But it is a world with it's own rules and reactions.

I will not deny that the peer-to-peer matchmaking system is awful, though, and that leads to problems aplenty. I remember seeing rubberbanding so bad that I would be sitting in Del Perro one moment, then in Pillbox Hill the next, all without seeing my friend's car actually drive anywhere. And I've tested the problem of "I shot you and you didn't die!" It was pretty easy - I got a friend to shoot me with a musket, and I shot him back in the same spot. On his end, I totally missed, but on my end, I had floored him. When he had shot me, I had died instantly on both of our clientsides, but from my perspective, his bullet had gone into my arm. His perspective? Between the eyes. Melee is very much affected by this, since hits are so much more infrequent and erratic, so it can seem like you're making some good connections, but your opponent is not seeing it. It seems to me, with my layman's knowledge of how clients interact with each other and, when applicable, a central server, that the game is assigning "reality" to only one client, since this is peer-to-peer. In a central server scenario, the central server is reality, and it is more equal in deciding what is real from either client.

So, yeah, the game is definitely against you. But it's meant to be, and always has been, and if it's really that big of a problem... Why are you still playing GTA? Go play WATCH_DOGS 2 or Just Cause 3 or something you'll have fun in!

• Le biatch and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Sentinel Driver
  • Sentinel Driver

lzzzzz

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:28 AM

Need proof that the game is against us?

http://gtaforums.com...tch-moan-topic/

Say no more fam

• fw3 likes this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

President of the LS Coquette Owners Club

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:52 AM

I'm just narcissistic to the game honestly. To one person, they'd say "Oh well the traffic was designed to be realistic" I would think "Oh yeah sure, conveniently change lanes when I'm coming up."

The rapid fire bullsh*t though? That's definitely on purpose.
  • fw3, alkaline_, Xiled and 1 other like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:04 AM

Its not a conspiracy they're all out to get you

:ph34r: :miranda:

• fw3 and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Nick1020
  • Nick1020

Furry and Proud. Maybe

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:29 AM

Nope, just rockstar devs inability to fix things. Rather than fixing X theyd rather patch it. Even worse they take their time fixing it but if it involves money theyre quick to hotfix or patch it. Even if its something little as 1k every 3 minutes. There were several Godmode glitches that lasted for more than a week. Ridiculous. I hope they end up patching or fixing something that ends up breaking the game.
  • fw3 and Xiled like this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:40 AM

I swear the game's against me

I'm always.... ALWAYS the lone high level on a team full of low levels in Crapversary, meanwhile all the high levels and no low levels are present on the other team. So basically, I can't win anything cause I don't have a competent team

• fw3 and elfoam like this

Cackling Jack
  • Cackling Jack

Let’s Talk Turkey.

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Australia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:23 AM

Well I think this game has always been out to get people. Constant bugs, encouraging players to blow up or steal crates or cars, terminator style AI npc eniemes. You get the picture. Oh and the constant grind.
  • fw3, CA42, alkaline_ and 3 others like this

Bruce Khansey
  • Bruce Khansey

Replicant

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

Definitely.

I don't know if anyone already mentioned it, but just look at the cooldown time. For instance, what's the point in waiting 20 minutes to export another car? Or  more than half an hour if I don't sell solo?

Nonsensical money wipe? Anyone?

Also, speaking of the latest addition/DLC, the enemies in the Doomsday heists are ridiculously overpowered.

The devs clearly doesn't want the player to earn that much money.

• fw3, CA42, elfoam and 2 others like this

elfoam
  • elfoam

High Roller

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:21 AM Edited by elfoam, 12 February 2018 - 09:42 AM.

It's much easier when you are a low level that's for sure, Cops and npcs in general are nicer to you. I play on a low level account often and it's a noticeable difference. Anyway it's not a theory that the game impends progress on purpose, the entire game is like that, It was designed to not be noticeable to people of lower intellect but they pushed it too far in the end and pretty much everyone can see it now.

• fw3, alkaline_ and Sanches like this

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Walking In The Dark Path AGAIN!

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

the only thing i can say that is kinda confirmed is the fact that when you are looking for a specific car, the game some how knows it and stop spawning that car for hours/days on end.

case in point, we all know the rusty surfer van regularly spawn around sandy shores, well months ago i spend close to 3 weeks looking for one, i gave up and started looking for a tornado which spawn commonly in that area too, after 20mins of looking for a tornado lo and behold, the damn rusty surfer i had been looking for spawned.

so wether is in money making or combat situations, in my mind, stuff like this confirms that the game have some algorithm that works against you.
  • Shadowfennekin, fw3, CA42 and 1 other like this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

Need proof that the game is against us?

http://gtaforums.com...tch-moan-topic/

Say no more fam

I agree there are a lot of complaints in the B&M, but most are circumstantial, at best. 

I wouldn't exactly call all the examples there as "proof," though there may be some, sure. ;)

so wether is in money making or combat situations, in my mind, stuff like this confirms that the game have some algorithm that works against you.

I totally agree, though I have to admit the key words in your reply (as with my OP, too) are "in my mind."

Are we all just crazy? I mean, we do play GTAO a LOT.

• CarimboHanky likes this

elfoam
  • elfoam

High Roller

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

All the "proof" you need is in the game, just sit down and play it, write down everything that slows down your efficiency in grinding money. You'll have a very long list and it's a much longer list than the game had at launch before these assholes took over the company.

• DentureDynamite and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users