Photo

What do you think about Trevor?

36 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Journey_95, 2 weeks ago.

I think he could have been executed better and that he is too cartoony (just a mix of the craziest stuff Rockstar could imagine) but at the same time he is very entertaining and his relationship with Michael is well done.

I find him way more interesting than many GTA protagonists (like CJ, Luis, Franklin, Toni etc.) and Steven Ogg is just fantastic. Most of his missions are very fun as well.

He is overall a divisive character but what do you think about him?

• Algonquin Assassin, Lock N' Stock and jaljax like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think he was a good protagonist , but the only reason being for that is because he`s Canadian 

Other than that he didnt exactly fit with the story & it felt like he would have fit in a Manhunt game instead because of his psychotic humor 

• Lock N' Stock likes this

RetroMystic
  • RetroMystic

Really makes you think

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by RetroMystic, 2 weeks ago.

He's a poor excuse for an edgy character that R* can do controversial things with and his entire story arc is pointless because by the end of the game once you do a friend hangout Trevor just says screw Brad or something along that line which made 60% of the games climax redundant.  

I did find some of the stuff he did to be funny sometimes so he has something going, but he's another victim of R*'s poor writing consistency and characterisation.

• Algonquin Assassin, Official General, SchizNitz and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 2 weeks ago.

I don't like him at all. He's too goofy and over the top to be taken seriously as a genuine psychopath. If he was toned down to be more like Jack Torrance in The Shining he'd be much more to my liking.

• Official General, SchizNitz, Lock N' Stock and 3 others like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I don't like him at all. He's too goofy and over the top to be taken seriously as a genuine psychopath. If he was toned down to be more like Jack Torrance in The Shining he'd be much more to my liking.

Agree that he can't be taken seriously, but thats why I like him. He adds some humor and "fun" to the game.  

• Algonquin Assassin, SchizNitz, Lock N' Stock and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago

Agree that he can't be taken seriously, but thats why I like him. He adds some humor and "fun" to the game.

I understand how people enjoy his sense of humour, but it’s that particular aspect I feel works against him. It often feels really childish atleast to me so when he’s trying to be intimidating I just can’t take it seriously because he’s too much of a joke character that would feel more at home in a Saints Row game.

Michael and especially Franklin are by no means perfect characters, but I can see what kind of vision R* intended for them. They don’t feel forced for the sake of it which is what Trevor feels like.
  • Tycek, Official General, SchizNitz and 2 others like this

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

"I don't fit in anywhere!"

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

For what he is, not bad I suppose. I think we can all agree that Steven Ogg did a superb job voicing him.

• Algonquin Assassin, SchizNitz, Journey_95 and 2 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hundred percent agree with everything Algonquin says.

As far as being a protagonist goes, no I don’t like Trevor at all. He was written as being unnecessarily over-the-top with psychotic episodes of craziness and violence, and he overdosed the dialogue with plethora of corny-ass lines filled with crude sexual references and profanity, nothing but cheap slapstick humour.

I did not find him funny one bit, it was just all too childish and goofy for me to experience. It just was not necessary to play as him in my opinion.
  • Algonquin Assassin, SchizNitz, anthony and 1 other like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by gunziness, 2 weeks ago.

Lets say that the only good thing about T is that I can freely steal cars and hit people on the street and still stay on character. I wouldnt do that with the other two (or with any other GTA protag, except maybe Johnny).

I think he was solely created for gameplay purposes

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

This plan *sucks*

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Trevor is a very frustrating character for me.

On one hand, I hate how goofy and over-the-top he can be at times, and how the game seems to have an identity crisis with him. It wants to have its cake and eat it too by having him be this demented, terrifying psychopath, as well as this weird, goofy, over-the-top funny character who you can laugh at without feeling TOO disturbed by. It just feels like Rockstar pulling a punch. They had the chance to make the first truly frightening and uncomfortable player character in the series, and ended up toning him down by giving him so many "LOL dude wears women's dresses, pisses and sh*ts in public and fondles men! FUNNAY! And awwww he cares about Michael's kids and genuinely loves his kidnapping victim, see he's not such a bad guy after all, never mind that he's a murderer, cannibal and strongly implied rapist..." Probably the best example of this clunky duality is "Hang Ten". I actually really like how the mission ends, it's genuinely disturbing and makes me feel uncomfortable playing as him. But before that? So much LOLRANDOM cringe. That whole "Will you marry me?!" bit... where the hell did that come from? It's not even that funny. 

But that said, I ultimately do like the character on and off. When he's on, he REALLY works for me, and that's when they let him be this disturbed psycho who's actually a lot smarter than you'd think. Like "Mr. Philips" (as... controversial as that whole mission is - I didn't like the Lost getting sh*t on, either), "By the Book" (aside from the godawful "LOL Trevor's takin' a sh*t in public!" cutscene if you start the mission as Michael), "Fresh Meat", to name a few. I do like his relationship with Michael, and for all my gripes about the writing trying too hard to awkwardly make him sympathetic, I like him having a soft spot for Michael and his family in the end, and the tragedy of this guy who was so loyal to Michael being screwed over by him (potentially twice, if you pick "Something Sensible"). But the main reason is Steven Ogg. No matter how Trevor is depicted, Ogg always gives it his all, and his excellent performance does a lot to make his character's weaker moments go down a little more easily. I'm so glad he found more work, the dude's just an awesome actor.

• Algonquin Assassin, SchizNitz and Cutter De Blanc like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 2 weeks ago

I like him or hate him depending on my mood.

My biggest issue with him was the way he and Michael was. It was like watching a married couple fighting over a simple thing. It really made me tired of him whenever he and Michael argues. I also feel he could have been done better if they made some of his "random joker moments" about him being on drugs. No need to make him crazy all the time, I would rather he was normal but goes crazy because of his psyche due to the drugs or PTSD. I like many of his scenes where he is crazy but I just can't love him like I do to the other protagonists because of the wasted potential.

Such a shame because Steven Ogg nailed Trevor and is a good actor. If only the game had better writing. 

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Typhus, 2 weeks ago.

Literally every single time he was on screen doing his whole shtick, I had this internally playing in my head:

How do you go from Grand Theft Auto IV talking about PTSD and the existence of the human soul, to making people feel tangibly embarrassed at the poor writing and hokey characters? It's not just a drop in quality, it's the equivalent of sowing yourself inside a suitcase and jumping off a cliff.

• Tycek, SchizNitz, anthony and 2 others like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Tycek, 2 weeks ago.

I don't like Trevor either and the biggest issue for me is he has absolutely 0% of character creation.

He was created as a Frankenstein's monster trying to combine every trait of well known psycho characters in order to make him cool and edgy, but it totally backfired in my opinion as there is not much Trevor in Trevor. He's basically Murdoc (A team) combined with Lynch (Kane & Lynch series) combined with Kano (Mortal Kombat series) combined with Blanka (Street Fighter) and probably someone else who I forgot to mention.

Only moments in the game when we may see the true Trevor is when he's crying (after seeing his mother, in Something Sensible ending and Bury the Hatchet mission), when all the traits taken from various characters are not covering his true self.

When we met Brucie it's clear from the start he has a narcissism, but apart from that he has actual personality. Sure he's loud, obnoxious and fuelled by roid rage, but you can see that there is something more to him. 

Trevor on other hand is clearly based on something called Borderline Personality Syndrome and his every act and thought in the game is taken from said illness. It creates quite funny paradox, because character with no personality has a personality disorder.

To be diagnosed with aforementioned syndrome, you have to show 3 of 10 of specific signs, yet Trevor has all of them at the same time. In real life he would be closed in psychiatric hospital for rest of his life as extremely specific case not able to live in society, but here he's cool and funny protagonist.

Here are the signs if someone is wondering and please tell me they don't fit Trevor:

- Markedly disturbed sense of identity
- Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment and extreme reactions to such
- Splitting ("black-and-white" thinking)
- Impulsivity and impulsive or dangerous behaviours
- Intense or uncontrollable emotional reactions that often seem disproportionate to the event or situation
- Unstable and chaotic interpersonal relationships
- Self-damaging behavior
- Distorted self-image
- Dissociation
- Frequently accompanied by depression, anxiety, anger, substance abuse, or rage

• Typhus, Algonquin Assassin, Official General and 1 other like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I like him or hate him depending on my mood.

My biggest issue with him was the way he and Michael was. It was like watching a married couple fighting over a simple thing. It really made me tired of him whenever he and Michael argues. I also feel he could have been done better if they made some of his "random joker moments" about him being on drugs. No need to make him crazy all the time, I would rather he was normal but goes crazy because of his psyche due to the drugs or PTSD. I like many of his scenes where he is crazy but I just can't love him like I do to the other protagonists because of the wasted potential.

Such a shame because Steven Ogg nailed Trevor and is a good actor. If only the game had better writing. 

While I liked his relationship with Michael, the endless bickering between them definitely got old. There needed to be more progression in their relationship before the last missions, not after.

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think everyone enjoyed playing as him apart from IV / Johnny K fans.
  • Am Shaegar likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Tycek, 2 weeks ago.

Because there is nothing better, to add something to the debate, than generalization. :/

• Algonquin Assassin and Journey_95 like this

Keano
  • Keano

Two Number Nines

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Keano, 2 weeks ago.

I'll go against the grain and say he's one of the best protagonists the series has seen. 

- Steven Ogg's acting is fantastic. He really took the role and delivered in every way imaginable

- Trevor has me laughing as much as character like Maccer, Rosenberg, Roman, Big Smoke, etc have. 

- He's the only true moral one of the three. Sure, he likes human stew, but who doesn't, and he kills mercilessly but Michael knew about Brad and was working with the feds and Franklin can choose to kill Michael or Trevor. Trevor remains loyal to both of them even after the truth about Brad is revealed. 

I would like to have seen a lot more done concerning Trevor Phillips Enterprises such establishing places to store drugs and weapons, taking over businesses, etc - like a prequel of some sort following the events in North Yankton with Brad. DLC could've been about the set up of T.P.E, meeting Ron and Wade as well as Chef, The Lost moving from Alderney to Blaine County, etc. At the same time, I like to imagine it myself without actually playing that story. However, I do feel that many opinions of Trevor would change had we got to see this. 

My other favorite Protagonists are:

Tommy

Claude

Niko

Johnny Klebitz

Toni Cipriani 

Like em' all but they're my favorites along with Trevor

• Algonquin Assassin, Journey_95, Am Shaegar and 1 other like this

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Some things about him annoy me, but some things about him just screams brilliant.

• Am Shaegar likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Ghetto Star

• Facade Corporation
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

He's an unpredictable and spontaneous character, so sometimes this works well, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. In some parts of the story he acts really amazingly, specially in the earlier missions with Michael, but other times he literally acts like an 11yr-old child would.

But a thing you can't deny is that Steven Ogg did a really amazing job voicing him.

• Journey_95 likes this

Becko
  • Becko

Player Hater

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 2 weeks ago

A wild card character.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

I think everyone enjoyed playing as him apart from IV / Johnny K fans.

I have to say I really dislike these types of insecure responses from V fans. I like Trevor but people have explained their reasons here well.

Why dont you do the same instead of making a bait response that again blames it all on IV fans, even though someone like @Official General is more of a VC and SA Fan.

I have seen other Users do the same thing, acting like only IV fans have Problems with GTA V
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

BLADE_San_Andreas
  • BLADE_San_Andreas

Piggsy A.K.A ALF

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 2 weeks ago

some crazy bloke, i like him hes crazy af and sometimes funny

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Literally every single time he was on screen doing his whole shtick, I had this internally playing in my head:

How do you go from Grand Theft Auto IV talking about PTSD and the existence of the human soul, to making people feel tangibly embarrassed at the poor writing and hokey characters? It's not just a drop in quality, it's the equivalent of sowing yourself inside a suitcase and jumping off a cliff.

You go there once your fanbase whines about the more mature and serious take. Rockstar clearly wanted to move into a different direction with IV but then they were basically forced to go silly again and they overdid it.

GTA V is the extreme opposite of IV in terms of tone and style.

anthony
  • anthony

Everyone in Liberty sells their soul to the devil.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by anthony, 2 weeks ago.

I think imo he is a sh*t protagonist, he was create to amuse people..well I didn't smile a single time. He is a joke, I would have preferred to play with Eddie Low which is actually scary and a psychopath, he is a real threat.

To me they just created Trevor to make laugh the teenagers.

Yep he is a real taugh guy...until he crawl to his mama like a bitch lmfao.

It's not just a drop in quality, it's the equivalent of sowing yourself inside a suitcase and jumping off a cliff.

GTA 5 in a nutshell.

I understand that some people like him..but that's not the case for me.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Tycek and Official General like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

To me they just created Trevor to make laugh the teenagers.

This definitely sums up my opinion on Trevor's purpose in the game as a protagonist. For the teenagers, yes. 

For me ? NO. 

DirtCheap
  • DirtCheap

Cheapskate

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 2 weeks ago

Honestly, I don't see why people hate him.

He's a fantastic protagonist in my opinion as he is loyal to his two snake friends, takes over Sandy Shores so he can just get a quick buck and is ultimately hilarious.

The only problem for me used to be when he killed Johnny but Johnny was presented as a pussy in V so I don't care about that biker anymore.

He is a joke, I would have preferred to play with Eddie Low which is actually scary and a psychopath, he is a real threat. 

I don't see why you want to play as Eddie. Trevor and him are both psychopaths but the difference is that Trevor knows when to act like a normal citizen and at least is not that f*cked up in the head like Low.

anthony
  • anthony

Everyone in Liberty sells their soul to the devil.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by anthony, 2 weeks ago.

Honestly, I don't see why people hate him.
He's a fantastic protagonist in my opinion as he is loyal to his two snake friends, takes over Sandy Shores so he can just get a quick buck and is ultimately hilarious.
The only problem for me used to be when he killed Johnny but Johnny was presented as a pussy in V so I don't care about that biker anymore.

He is a joke, I would have preferred to play with Eddie Low which is actually scary and a psychopath, he is a real threat. 

I don't see why you want to play as Eddie. Trevor and him are both psychopaths but the difference is that Trevor knows when to act like a normal citizen and at least is not that f*cked up in the head like Low.

Because Eddie IS actually dangerous and terrifying, and no matter what, Eddie would never have been a little doggy like Trevor...he would have cut Steve Haines and Devin Weston into little pieces in minutes and would have thrown them in trash cans all over the f*cking city.

And Trevor is not quite a psychopath..he was crawling on the floor like a dog in front of his mother, after that he ran outside to find a truck of medicine or whatever..BUT still, he didn't had any interests or goal in mind..a psychopath always see what there is to win for him, they don't have any feelings.
  • Algonquin Assassin and Cutter De Blanc like this

DirtCheap
  • DirtCheap

Cheapskate

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 2 weeks ago

I can see where you are coming from but I wouldnt really be comfortable playing as a kiddie killer who also has a fetish for gore and dismemberment. He also has a really f*cked up childhood with a parents who abused him sexually. However, with Trevor, he seems to know when to stop and also had a rough childhood with abusive parents rather than a f*cked up one like Eddie.
  • Official General and Journey_95 like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I can see where you are coming from but I wouldnt really be comfortable playing as a kiddie killer who also has a fetish for gore and dismemberment. He also has a really f*cked up childhood with a parents who abused him sexually. However, with Trevor, he seems to know when to stop and also had a rough childhood with abusive parents rather than a f*cked up one like Eddie.

I agree but Rockstar tried too hard to make Trevor appear as a badass imho. Like butchering Johnnys character or turning Madrazzo into a bitch all of a sudden was just Bad writing.

At least Eddie Low is actually terrifying

Brian_O_Malley
  • Brian_O_Malley

Player Hater

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago

As flawed as he is, He seems to be the most honest and loyal out of the 3. He was ok in my book. Not great but not terrible either

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users